What is the most profitable business to get into: Copywriting, Web Design, or SEO?

19 replies
What do you think is the most profitable business to get into: Copywriting, Web Design, or SEO?
#business #copywriting #design #profitable #seo #web
  • Profile picture of the author Andrew Gould
    Whichever one you enjoy doing the most will be the most profitable to you over your life.

    It's hard to keep slogging away for year after year at something you're only doing for the money.
    Signature

    Andrew Gould

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7003311].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Newrichgraphics
      Originally Posted by Andrew Gould View Post

      Whichever one you enjoy doing the most will be the most profitable to you over your life.

      It's hard to keep slogging away for year after year at something you're only doing for the money.
      I won't be doing the actual work so I am only interested in the most profitable of the three.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7004382].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
      Originally Posted by Andrew Gould View Post

      Whichever one you enjoy doing the most will be the most profitable to you over your life.

      It's hard to keep slogging away for year after year at something you're only doing for the money.
      Amen brother!
      Signature

      Do You Want To Make 5 and 6-Figures A Month As A Freelance Copywriter? My Copywriting System Has Made Over 600 Million Dollars. Discover More

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7015637].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheDudeAbides
    Providing you can get a steady stream of clients, outsourcing web design is likely to be the most profitable.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7004439].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheSalesBooster
    Stick with SEO or Design if you aren't doing any of the work.

    Copywriting isn't something you can really outsource unless you can get a good copywriter to work for less if you find the clients for him.

    Problem with the first two is you are in a sea of competition.

    Problem with the 2nd is finding a decent copywriter who will work under you.

    If you can find a constant stream of clients, I think the copywriting business would provide the most profit.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7004448].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Newrichgraphics
      Originally Posted by TheSalesBooster View Post


      Copywriting isn't something you can really outsource unless you can get a good copywriter to work for less if you find the clients for him.
      Why can't you outsource copywriting? Of course you need a good copywriter with reasonable rates but isn't that required for SEO and Web Design too?

      I figured that if I can get a sales page outsourced for $300, I could add another $300 profit for me and charge my client $600. Maybe I could charge even more. Most businesses that are doing good won't mind paying $600 for a $300 project. They just have no idea that I paid only $300 to the copywriter.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7004927].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TheSalesBooster
        Originally Posted by Newrichgraphics View Post

        Why can't you outsource copywriting? Of course you need a good copywriter with reasonable rates but isn't that required for SEO and Web Design too?

        I figured that if I can get a sales page outsourced for $300, I could add another $300 profit for me and charge my client $600. Maybe I could charge even more. Most businesses that are doing good won't mind paying $600 for a $300 project. They just have no idea that I paid only $300 to the copywriter.

        Because coding will work no matter who codes it. The code either works or it doesn't. You don't have to be a master programmer to create web site.

        On the other hand copywriting can be outsourced, but any copywriter who is halfway decent doesn't need your $300.

        Do you know which copywriters need your $300? The ones looking for easy money.

        You get what you pay for...

        What happens if you hire someone who does a terrible job? Do you refund the customer 100%? What if you refund the $300 and the copywriter won't honor the refund? Now your out $300. Are you willing to risk your reputation on someone else's work?

        At least with programming it either works or it doesn't and there are people half way across the world ready to work for $3 an hour.

        There are a lot of variables that come with copywriting. You can try it if you are willing to take the risks.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7005175].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Newrichgraphics
          Originally Posted by TheSalesBooster View Post

          B

          On the other hand copywriting can be outsourced, but any copywriter who is halfway decent doesn't need your $300.

          Do you know which copywriters need your $300? The ones looking for easy money.
          I mentioned $300 just as an example. Let's assume the copywriter charges $1000 for some project. I think I could easily charge my client $2000, couldn't I? I guess most copywriters would be willing to do a few rounds of revisions and I can offer the same to my client.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7005491].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MarkWMS
    You should do business in whichever you enjoy doing. I would recommend that you should start off with copywriting and gradually venture into SEO. However, when it comes to Web Development, you will require a lot of experience and proper guidance from experienced people.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7004876].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vajra123
    All three businesses are good for make money .But I think SEO is most reasonable than other two.
    You can earn a lot of money from seo by making your own website or by doing free lancing work.So according to my opinion seo is best and best.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7004948].message }}
  • I don't mean any offense here, but you sound like you're coming at this with the wrong attitude entirely.

    First of all, the most profitable business is the one you are most skilled at. You don't just go around trying to find skillsets that people are willing to pay money for, and then jump on them with no knowledge of the subject whatsoever, outsourcing all the work to somebody more experienced. You might get away with this for a little while, but if you don't actually know what makes good copywriting, or good SEO, or whatever, eventually clients will start to realize that you're ripping them off, and you won't get repeat business. So your whole business will depend on bringing in brand new leads day after day, and your advertising/SEO expenses will be insane.

    Second, buying cheap work and marking it up for sale to naive clients is not going to work like it used to. EVERYBODY knows about freelancing sites these days; anybody who wants to buy so-so copy, or so-so web development, for some little business experiment they're running, is going to go direct to the source and get the sales letter or website for $300 themselves. Anybody who is really serious about the game is going to hire a pro with an established name and tons of testimonials--which you are NOT going to become if your strategy is to outsource everything and hope it comes out OK.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7013567].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jjarrett
    What type of skills do you have?

    As someone who spent many years working for others doing things I hated, I would recommend you get into a business you actually enjoy doing. That is the business that will make you the most money because you will stick with it even when the going gets tough.

    I spent a lot of time and money in college and out of college becoming the best possible writer I could be, and that included spending many hours studying the classics, including Shakespeare. Forgive me if I'm a little offended that you seem to have so little respect for writing. It is a skill that takes time to develop, and most will never get it.

    As someone once said, "Do what you love, and the money will follow." Just my opinion.
    Signature
    "Discover the ZERO COST Opportunity That Pours Out Multiple $150 - $345 Daily... 24/7 365 Days a Year!... Get It 100% FREE!": CPA Profits Blueprint.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7014275].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Newrichgraphics
      I'm a business person. For me, copywriting is just a product. I understand that copywriters may see it as a work of art or something but business people see things in a different way. I don't have the time nor the desire to learn copywriting. I thought I could get an experienced copywriter to do the work for me and I will just add a profit. I've been doing this with web design and SEO. My clients don't know my sources. They can't even register a domain by themselves.

      Originally Posted by jjarrett View Post

      What type of skills do you have?

      As someone who spent many years working for others doing things I hated, I would recommend you get into a business you actually enjoy doing. That is the business that will make you the most money because you will stick with it even when the going gets tough.

      I spent a lot of time and money in college and out of college becoming the best possible writer I could be, and that included spending many hours studying the classics, including Shakespeare. Forgive me if I'm a little offended that you seem to have so little respect for writing. It is a skill that takes time to develop, and most will never get it.

      As someone once said, "Do what you love, and the money will follow." Just my opinion.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7014434].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
        Originally Posted by Newrichgraphics View Post

        I'm a business person. For me, copywriting is just a product. I understand that copywriters may see it as a work of art or something but business people see things in a different way. I don't have the time nor the desire to learn copywriting. I thought I could get an experienced copywriter to do the work for me and I will just add a profit. I've been doing this with web design and SEO. My clients don't know my sources. They can't even register a domain by themselves.
        I'd be careful how you come across.

        Some business people may not be experts at what they're pimpin' out, but they can clearly articulate the benefits at a high quality level.

        For instance...

        I'm currently creating a group of expert bodyworkers in San Francisco.

        Notice I didn't say massage therapists.

        These are seasoned professionals who understand the body in ways that even medical doctors don't have a clue about (working with fascia to produce massive healing for a whole spectrum of chronic imbalances.)

        Now...

        What makes me qualified to take the lead and create this niche healing arts business?

        Simple.

        I did it for ten years.

        I've studied with the most innovative bodyworkers of our time and been involved with my clients on incredibly deep and consequential levels.

        The people I'm reaching out to know this...

        These are bodyworkers who value their reputation and would NEVER put their trust in someone's hands who didn't know this business inside - out.

        My point?

        If you're going to represent copywriters, you better know the difference between what's just great copy... And copy that REALLY converts.

        You also better know how to extract all of the essential information to give your copywriters - so they can clearly understand the customer/client avatar, what the mind-blowing, life-changing benefits are of each product or service...

        ...and ultimately, how to connect with their audience (i.e. your client's prospects) on a persuasive, emotional level.

        Just having an SEO, web design background doesn't communicate whether or not you have these skills.

        And maybe you do...

        But having worked with some spectacular, consciousn, highly successful entrepreneurs over the last 5 years, I can say with utter confidence that if you're chasing the money, you ain't gonna reveal the success you want...

        ...or the results your customers need.

        Mark
        Signature

        Do You Want To Make 5 and 6-Figures A Month As A Freelance Copywriter? My Copywriting System Has Made Over 600 Million Dollars. Discover More

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7015727].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Loren Woirhaye
    The most profitable business is selling identical products again and again to many, many customers.... not doing custom work for clients.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7014988].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author project123
    Learn them all see which you are best at by testing with clients and split testing then work on your stregths and outsource everything else to the phillipines
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7016119].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seoexperttools
    Unless you like writing then copywriting is not a good choice. Believe me, i used to work as a copywriter and i guess the pressure was too much for me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7016272].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
    Originally Posted by Newrichgraphics View Post

    What do you think is the most profitable business to get into: Copywriting, Web Design, or SEO?
    In a way that is the wrong question.

    Because in any field you will see those that struggle
    while others have spectacular success in the same business,
    even in the same city.

    It wasn't the business type itself that was wrong,
    it was the person driving it made it wrong.

    Best,
    Ewen
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7016311].message }}

Trending Topics