...there's a very good reason why I'm not an electrician - merely a humble copywriter.
Do we have any electricians in the house?
For I could do with a spot of advice, if you would be so kind.
So last week I found a stray dog walking on top of the cliffs.
Thankfully, someone nearby, the day before, had lost their dog lead which I picked up and put in the motor home (because well, you never know when a dog lead might come in useful) and truth be told it was a very nice dog lead, so in the van it went.
So this dog, a lovely dog it was too, eventually I caught up with it after it had me running ragged trying to catch up with it as it bounded across the cliffs. Attached the lead to her collar and promptly walked back to my motor home a mile or so away.
After two hours eventually found the owners farmhouse and returned the dog to them for which they were most thankful and offered me a free pitch for the night on their campsite should I need it anytime in the near future. Normal cost £11 ($17.62) including electric hookup.
Been a bit cloudy lately, so decided to take them up on the offer this afternoon for tonight to recharge at least one of my bank of 12v batteries which I rely on to power the laptop via a pure sine wave inverter.
Now, here I am and a wonderfully quirky campsite it is too, down on The Lizard.
Palm trees all around me, all I need now is a beautiful woman in a grass skirt and I'm all made for the night. Red haired Kate from The Lizard Lighthouse might have to do instead (Charlie Dimmock lookalike). Though I hear she has a bit of a fiery spirit in her belly - nothing that I can't handle of course.
So I pitch up for the night and go to plug in my electric hookup cable into their electricity supply. Buggers! The connection on the plug end is the wrong one, in other words it's gay not straight, if you get my drift. No? Well male to male connection plugs don't fit, let's just put it that way shall we?
Never mind I think to myself, I'll unplug it again and cut the cable to expose the wires and do the same on the plug connector the other end.
Gaffa tape the 3x wires together separately, colour coded of course, then gaffa tape the whole lot into a firm wedge.
Go back and plug the other end in to the main supply, so far so good. Walk back round to the van and daft old me, what do I do but grab hold of the plug pin side up.
Now, if I had hair like my good friend Einstein, well the picture below looked just like me 10 minutes ago.
ZAPPPPP!!! WOWSERS!!! FCUKIN' HELL!!!
Sh!t man! 240 volts of live current shot through my body making me leap about 6' off the ground.
Hmmm, maybe not such a good idea.
Unplugged a second time round and plopped the plug into an electrical four socket bar, unplugged the inverter and gaffa taped up the 3 pins separately, went back, plugged it in again to the main supply - voila! Electricity is working.
Now powering the laptop, a 12v battery on charge, LED lights, the other plug (well and truly gaffa taped up) in the 4th socket giving 'lekky' to the other 3 plug sockets.
Long story short, would anyone know please if this represents a fire risk?