How Well Do You Build Emotion? (With Superbowl Commercial Video)

48 replies
In copywriting...

You're very often NOT just selling the product.

You're selling inspiration.

You're selling an idea.

You're selling an ideal.

You're selling a story.

You're selling hope.

You're selling what could be.

The question is:

How well are you building anticipation?

A lot of writers jump right into their pitch...

...without building the bigger picture.

If you want to leave uncountable conversions on the table, go ahead and stay inside the box.

However...

Your job is to create a concept that draws your target prospect in.

The key is being bold.

You need a concept that sets the tone for your genuine solution.

And creates an atmosphere that pulls people into your world.

Here's a great example from a Superbowl commercial:


Mark
#build #emotion
  • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
    Here's what Toyota did for prime time TV viewers

    The first ad shown was geared to counter the perception the Toyota Hilux was underpowered.

    Don't know the story behind the second one.

    Best,
    Ewen


    A later one...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7693368].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
    Mark the ad reminds me of the Marlboro ads which people could
    identify the lone cowboy who leads a simple life they yearned for.

    Best,
    Ewen

    Originally Posted by Mark Pescetti View Post

    In copywriting...

    You're very often NOT just selling the product.

    You're selling inspiration.

    You're selling an idea.

    You're selling an ideal.

    You're selling a story.

    You're selling hope.

    You're selling what could be.

    The question is:

    How well are you building anticipation?

    A lot of writers jump right into their pitch...

    ...without building the bigger picture.

    If you want to leave uncountable conversions on the table, go ahead and stay inside the box.

    However...

    Your job is to create a concept that draws your target prospect in.

    The key is being bold.

    You need a concept that sets the tone for your genuine solution.

    And creates an atmosphere that pulls people into your world.

    Here's a great example from a Superbowl commercial:

    Ram Trucks Super Bowl Commercial Farmer - YouTube

    Mark
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7693438].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
      Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

      Mark the ad reminds me of the Marlboro ads which people could
      identify the lone cowboy who leads a simple life they yearned for.

      Best,
      Ewen
      Exactly.

      They took an ideal that millions of of people (mostly men) identify with and want...

      ...and brilliantly animated it.

      I just finished a sales letter where I don't introduce the product until 5 or 6 pages in.

      I described what they REALLY want, first.

      And I KNOW it will convert as good, if not better than anything I've written in the niche. (Health.)

      Anyway...

      I was impressed that a Superbowl commercial took the risk of losing their A.D.D. audience and bloody nailed it.

      It's a perfect example of how to BUILD the impact of your product (or service) with an ideal.

      Mark
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7693489].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
        Another way I think of it as identity marketing.

        Where the viewer hankers to be that person.

        David Olgivy did it with the man with the eyepatch for Hathaway shirts.

        Then the beer people did it with the most interesting man in the world.

        For a moment it takes them into a fantasy world,
        movie in their mind, where they are the main character.

        The product becomes an essential part of their identity.

        Best,
        Ewen





        Originally Posted by Mark Pescetti View Post

        Exactly.

        They took an ideal that millions of of people (mostly men) identify with and want...

        ...and brilliantly animated it.

        I just finished a sales letter where I don't introduce the product until 5 or 6 pages in.

        I described what they REALLY want, first.

        And I KNOW it will convert as good, if not better than anything I've written in the niche. (Health.)

        Anyway...

        I was impressed that a Superbowl commercial took the risk of losing their A.D.D. audience and bloody nailed it.

        It's a perfect example of how to BUILD the impact of your product (or service) with an ideal.

        Mark
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7693565].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author dee4d
          Nice inspiration for copywriting. Thanks for this info.
          Signature
          Stay Healthy all your Life, and Avoid Lifesty Diseases Later in Life. Enjoy life to the fullest.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7693584].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Robert_Rand
    Definitely - I thought that was very well done... I bet it resonated with a lot of people.

    I thought the two best commercials were that one, and Leon Sandcastle lol

    I definitely missed many, if not most of them though...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7693477].message }}
    • It put me off being a farmer.
      Signature
      "Peter Brennan is the real deal, In the first 12 hours we did $80k...and over $125k in the first week...if you want to be successful online, outsource your copywriting to Peter"
      Adam Linkenauger

      For 12 ways to sell more stuff to more people today...go to...www.peterbrennan.net
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695063].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DavidG
    That GoDaddy Commercial is making everyone talk.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7693763].message }}
  • Thanks for the share Mark!


    I was going to ask where we could watch all the superbowl ads, but instead found a place myself!

    Here you go: 2013 Super Bowl Commercials – 2013 Super Bowl Ads | 2013 Super Bowl Commercials - Super Bowl 2013 Ads

    Let me know if you find any more good ones!



    Ben.
    Signature
    50% converting squeeze pages, 12% converting WSO's, and more...
    BenPalmerWilson Copywriting
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7694157].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author max5ty
    You sound like most inexperienced "marketing experts".

    You're not praising Dodge, you're praising the ad agency that put the ad out.

    Last year the Chrysler ad was talked about on a gazillion blogs. Chrysler sales dropped. There have been MANY companies who've had cute super bowl ads, only to go out of business.

    I find this comical:

    Lots of copywriters on here love to tell everyone how they've wrote a sales letter that brought the house down for a client...

    Yep, you probably did.

    But what control did you beat? Probably the one the customer wrote.

    Someone sent me a sales letter last week wanting my opinion. I asked them to send me a copy of the control they were trying to beat...they said it was something their customer had put together. LOL...I told them I was sure their letter will do better. It's not rocket science.

    Better isn't always something to be proud of. Cute doesn't work.

    Here's a tip:

    Want to make some fast cash? Approach some of these other copywriter's clients and offer to write a piece that will out pull their current one by hundreds of percents.

    Let these so called experts drum up the business, then go in and put them to shame. You could call it "the lazy copywriters way to riches".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7694424].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
      Originally Posted by max5ty View Post

      You sound like most inexperienced "marketing experts".

      You're not praising Dodge, you're praising the ad agency that put the ad out.
      When the majority of truck advertisements mirror something like this:


      I thought it was a risky and ballsy ad.

      Both examples go after the "lifestyle" positioning.

      Obviously...

      The Denis Leary bit has way more machismo (and I love the VSL style.)

      As for being an inexperienced marketing expert, piss off.

      I've been in those board rooms where ad execs make their best pitches.

      Mock up videos.

      Storyboards.

      Script drafts. (I've written a few that didn't see the light of day.)

      And while most of what brand-oriented ad agencies put out these days is utter garbage, there still is some good.

      Besides...

      The point of this post was to help copywriters put more concept and emotion-building into their copy.

      But feel free to continue taking the p!ss.

      Mark
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695403].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bruce Wedding
    It certainly evokes emotion. I've been a Paul Harvey fan for decades and there are few better story tellers. But it did not even come close to making me buy a Dodge truck.

    The problem with Dodge trucks is that they suck. The quality and reliability is the worst in the industry. Perhaps if a commercial convinced me they've fixed their issues, I'd consider one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695237].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
      Originally Posted by Bruce Wedding View Post

      It certainly evokes emotion. I've been a Paul Harvey fan for decades and there are few better story tellers. But it did not even come close to want to make me buy a Dodge truck.

      The problem with Dodge trucks is that they suck. The quality and reliability is the worst in the industry. Perhaps if a commercial convinced me they've fixed their issues, I'd consider one.
      You're also a lot more intelligent than the target demo.

      I agree with Ewen.

      Stuff like this will trigger people's identity.

      Of course...

      As I always say:

      Results don't lie.

      Let's wait and see if there's a spike in sales in the next few days.

      Their stock is going up as I type this.

      Mark
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695317].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mr. Subtle
        Originally Posted by Mark Pescetti View Post

        Their stock is going up as I type this.
        Dodge is part of Chrysler. Chrysler is a private company (LLC) and is not traded on any exchange.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695337].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author max5ty
        Originally Posted by Mark Pescetti View Post

        You're also a lot more intelligent than the target demo.

        I agree with Ewen.

        Stuff like this will trigger people's identity.

        Of course...

        As I always say:

        Results don't lie.

        Let's wait and see if there's a spike in sales in the next few days.

        Their stock is going up as I type this.

        Mark
        LOL...according to Market Watch DAI stock is going down.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695362].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mr. Subtle
          Originally Posted by max5ty View Post

          LOL...according to Market Watch DAI stock is going down.
          DAI doesn't own Chrysler, LLC.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695426].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author max5ty
            Originally Posted by Mr. Subtle View Post

            DAI doesn't own Chrysler, LLC.
            Last I heard, it was still about 18%. Do you know anything different?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695452].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Mr. Subtle
              Originally Posted by max5ty View Post

              Last I heard, it was still about 18%. Do you know anything different?
              Google is everyone's friend:

              Chrysler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              Signature

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695697].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author max5ty
                Originally Posted by Mr. Subtle View Post

                Google is everyone's friend:

                Chrysler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                Yeah, so I was right. Thanks.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695726].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Mr. Subtle
                  Originally Posted by max5ty View Post

                  Yeah, so I was right. Thanks.
                  No you are wrong. Reading comprehension is fundamental:

                  On June 10, 2009, Chrysler LLC emerged from a Chapter 11 (i.e., re-organization) bankruptcy directed by the U.S. government. It became Chrysler Group LLC, a completely new entity, with 4 co-owners: Italian automaker Fiat, with a roughly 20% stake (and the option of increasing that, in the future, to a majority share); the U.S. government, with a roughly 20% share; the United Auto Workers' pension fund, with a 60% share; and, the Canadian government holding the remainder.[5][6] Fiat's stake increased to 58.5% (fully diluted shares) after it bought out both the U.S. Treasury's (6% on June 3, 2011) and Canadian government's (1.5% on July 21, 2011) respective stakes [7][8][9][10][11] The stake was further increased to 61.8% in July 2012.[12]

                  Sorry NO DAI ownership.
                  Signature

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695782].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author max5ty
                    Originally Posted by Mr. Subtle View Post

                    No you are wrong. Reading comprehension is fundamental:

                    On June 10, 2009, Chrysler LLC emerged from a Chapter 11 (i.e., re-organization) bankruptcy directed by the U.S. government. It became Chrysler Group LLC, a completely new entity, with 4 co-owners: Italian automaker Fiat, with a roughly 20% stake (and the option of increasing that, in the future, to a majority share); the U.S. government, with a roughly 20% share; the United Auto Workers' pension fund, with a 60% share; and, the Canadian government holding the remainder.[5][6] Fiat's stake increased to 58.5% (fully diluted shares) after it bought out both the U.S. Treasury's (6% on June 3, 2011) and Canadian government's (1.5% on July 21, 2011) respective stakes [7][8][9][10][11] The stake was further increased to 61.8% in July 2012.[12]

                    Sorry NO DAI ownership.
                    Thanks for your side of the story Mr. Subtle.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695812].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author Mark Andrews
                      Banned
                      Knock it off Mark Kelly.

                      You made your millions simply because you were born with a silver spoon sticking out of your mouth.

                      Your father, billed as one of the greatest showmen in America undoubtedly gave you a massive head start in life when he popped his clogs.

                      You have absolutely no idea, not a clue, not the faintest foggiest idea what it's like to start right at the bottom and work your way up to attaining great wealth.

                      You knock Mark Pescetti but at least Mark is a self made millionaire. He's been in the trenches and has the proof (unlike yourself) that he's made it.

                      Yeah sure, you impart now and again some good advice on this forum but unlike him you don't have a website, you don't have a blog, in fact you seem incredibly careful not to give too much away about your personal road to riches.

                      Abercrombie Fitch? Their top copywriter? Where's your proof?

                      Only I've never seen coming from you a single shed of evidence to back up any of your outrageous claims to the extraordinary wealth you've supposedly accumulated.

                      Strange that isn't it?

                      At least with Mark Pescetti he wears his heart on his sleeve.

                      You on the other hand, to date you've not provided any evidence whatsoever that you are indeed the great copywriter and marketing expert you claim to be.

                      Where is your website?

                      Where is your blog?

                      Where is your proof that you are this incredible marketer?

                      That's right, not a bean, nothing, nada, zilch.

                      I know who I'd much rather take advice from and his surname doesn't begin with K.

                      Smoking hot,


                      Mark Andrews
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695992].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author max5ty
                        Originally Posted by Mark Andrews View Post

                        Knock it off Mark Kelly.

                        You made your millions simply because you were born with a silver spoon sticking out of your mouth.

                        Your father, billed as one of the greatest showmen in America undoubtedly gave you a massive head start in life when he popped his clogs.

                        You have absolutely no idea, not a clue, not the faintest foggiest idea what it's like to start right at the bottom and work your way up to attaining great wealth.

                        You knock Mark Pescetti but at least Mark is a self made millionaire. He's been in the trenches and has the proof (unlike yourself) that he's made it.

                        Yeah sure, you impart now and again some good advice on this forum but unlike him you don't have a website, you don't have a blog, in fact you seem incredibly careful not to give too much away about your personal road to riches.

                        Abercrombie Fitch? Their top copywriter? Where's your proof?

                        Only I've never seen coming from you a single shed of evidence to back up any of your outrageous claims to the extraordinary wealth you've supposedly accumulated.

                        Strange that isn't it?

                        At least with Mark Pescetti he wears his heart on his sleeve.

                        You on the other hand, to date you've not provided any evidence whatsoever that you are indeed the great copywriter and marketing expert you claim to be.

                        Where is your website?

                        Where is your blog?

                        Where is your proof that you are this incredible marketer?

                        That's right, not a bean, nothing, nada, zilch.

                        I know who I'd much rather take advice from and his surname doesn't begin with K.

                        Smoking hot,


                        Mark Andrews
                        LOL...........
                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7696526].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mr. Subtle
    Originally Posted by Mark Pescetti View Post

    Here's a great example from a Superbowl commercial:
    It's a great commercial if you're trying to get more FFA (Future Farmers of America) members, but it's not a good commercial if you're trying to sell a Dodge Ram.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695266].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheSalesBooster
    I agree that it's not exactly a great advertisement for selling trucks, but that's not the goal here.

    The goal was to get people talking and it did just that.

    They are trying to portray an image that dodge trucks are associated with hard working farmers. Not only that, but they threw in the 'god' element which resonates with their demographic. It's like the ultimate social proof. God creates hard working farmers > Hard working farmers drive dodge trucks.

    It was aimed at their core demographic. Your typical mid-west bible belt truck driver.

    From the comments I've seen online about the ad, it seems like it worked brilliantly.

    Some of you think it's a bad ad because it doesn't sell trucks... Well they have all year to run commercials that sell trucks. This commercial was just a great branding play. It got you and everyone else talking about it so it did it's job.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695373].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
      Originally Posted by TheSalesBooster View Post

      I agree that it's not exactly a great advertisement for selling trucks, but that's not the goal here.

      The goal was to get people talking and it did just that.

      They are trying to portray an image that dodge trucks are associated with hard working farmers. Not only that, but they threw in the 'god' element which resonates with their demographic. It's like the ultimate social proof. God creates hard working farmers > Hard working farmers drive dodge trucks.

      It was aimed at their core demographic. Your typical mid-west bible belt truck driver.

      From the comments I've seen online about the ad, it seems like it worked brilliantly.

      Some of you think it's a bad ad because it doesn't sell trucks... Well they have all year to run commercials that sell trucks. This commercial was just a great branding play. It got you and everyone else talking about it so it did it's job.
      Right on.

      A lot of big companies/corporations spend a fortune just to give thier brand a facelift.

      That's definitely a part of this.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695478].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author max5ty
        Originally Posted by Mark Pescetti View Post

        Right on.

        A lot of big companies/corporations spend a fortune just to give thier brand a facelift.

        That's definitely a part of this.
        Just talking about an ad doesn't sell anything.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695495].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TheSalesBooster
          Originally Posted by max5ty View Post

          Just talking about an ad doesn't sell anything.
          Sounds like you know the secret to selling $30,000 trucks in a two minute super bowl ad. Why are you here talking with us? Call up Dodge and become multimillionaire right now!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695508].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author max5ty
            Originally Posted by TheSalesBooster View Post

            Sounds like you know the secret to selling $30,000 trucks in a two minute super bowl ad. Why are you here talking with us? Call up Dodge and become multimillionaire right now!
            Am already a multi-millionaire...now what?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695529].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author TheSalesBooster
              Originally Posted by max5ty View Post

              Am already a multi-millionaire...now what?
              I guess sit at home and debate superbowl ads like all the other 'multi-millionaires'.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695548].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author max5ty
                Originally Posted by TheSalesBooster View Post

                I guess sit at home and debate superbowl ads like all the other 'multi-millionaires'.
                I've written ads for some of the largest companies in the world.

                I don't have everything I have because I don't know what I'm talking about.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695552].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author TheSalesBooster
                  Originally Posted by max5ty View Post

                  I've written ads for some of the largest companies in the world.

                  I don't have everything I have because I don't know what I'm talking about.
                  Any Superbowl ads? Better yet, any TV ads?
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695575].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author max5ty
                    Originally Posted by TheSalesBooster View Post

                    Any Superbowl ads? Better yet, any TV ads?
                    No, and no.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695583].message }}
  • The F - 150 Ad was leagues better than the others.

    Pointing out the big problem, creating emotion and identity with benefits galore.

    Great Ad.

    Did Ford do well from it?


    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695520].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wilmath
    The Budweiser/Clydesdale ads worked on a similar level.

    Who can resist a

    Boy gets horse
    Boy loses horse
    Boy gets horse back, story

    However, I'm curious if it will generate an uptick in beer sales.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695763].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    My 14-yr old son was next to me while I was watching
    that commercial. He was very much pulled in by the
    story and the emotive voice-over talent. But at the
    end of the ad he exclaimed, "That was about the
    truck? I thought it was about farming!"

    I didn't discuss the ad with him, but just smiled to
    myself. He is not in the target market for sure but
    he realized how indirect the ad was. But again we
    are not dealing with direct marketing. This is
    branding. Not many direct marketers are impressed
    with this style of marketing.

    And it shows in this thread.

    -Ray Edwards
    Signature
    The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7696580].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Pusateri
      Originally Posted by Raydal View Post

      My 14-yr old son was next to me while I was watching
      that commercial. He was very much pulled in by the
      story and the emotive voice-over talent. But at the
      end of the ad he exclaimed, "That was about the
      truck? I thought it was about farming!"

      I didn't discuss the ad with him, but just smiled to
      myself. He is not in the target market for sure but
      he realized how indirect the ad was. But again we
      are not dealing with direct marketing. This is
      branding. Not many direct marketers are impressed
      with this style of marketing.

      And it shows in this thread.

      -Ray Edwards
      Yeah, Ray, it really shows.

      And I totally get your son's response. I thought the end was clumsy myself.

      As for effectiveness, we know it's not measurable.

      But I did have six different friends in my Facebook feed post that ad. They are of the truck buying demographic.

      Hell, it made the girl I was watching the game with misty.

      Now, a question for all the direct response copywriters here who sneer at ads like this...

      If you could evoke that kind of emotion in your reader, do you think you might be able to ride that pony somewhere, given all your persuasive skills?

      On a personal note, it was great to hear Paul Harvey again. I've made a nice living aping his style... with a little twist of my own. Thanks, Paul.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7698725].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
        Another point about these non direct response ads,
        and especially in this case if it's true about their bad rep about reliability,
        it reminds the die-hard fans why they own them in the first place
        so they won't change brands.

        Think of it as buying loyalty.

        Down under here there is fierce rivalry between Ford and Holden [a GM brand] owners.

        Bumper stickers say "I'd rather push my Ford rather than drive your Holden".

        Holden bumper sticker "Fix Or Repair Daily" for the Ford letters.

        Then there is the Cartoon character around the petrol caps.
        One would be Ford and the kid Peeing on it.
        Same with Holden.

        Then there are the V8 car races where it's Holden against Ford.

        It's a whole sub culture built around the car brands.

        For the Texas or Montana farmer there could be the same thing going on which this type of ad imagery feeds the feeling of belonging.

        Best,
        Ewen
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7698777].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Pusateri
          Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

          Another point about theses non direct response ads,
          and especially in this case if it's true about their bad rep about reliability,
          it reminds the die-hard fans why they own them in the first place
          so they won't change brands.
          A good example of that is Harley-Davidson during the AMF years. There were serious quality issues, but the brand made a comeback. A big part of that comeback was playing on the nostalgia for their bikes from the fifties.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7698829].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
            Originally Posted by Pusateri View Post

            A good example of that is Harley-Davidson during the AMF years. There were serious quality issues, but the brand made a comeback. A big part of that comeback was playing on the nostalgia for their bikes from the fifties.
            Yes nostalgia is a strong driver in of itself.

            Clayton Makepeace made great use of it when he was selling rare coins
            and obviously using strong direct response devices as we know of.

            Best,
            Ewen
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7698906].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Pusateri
              Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

              Yes nostalgia is a strong driver in of itself.
              Nostalgia literally means "longing for home."

              Seems it's embedded in us.

              Odysseus will brave any danger and even give up sex with a goddess to get home. That's what makes him a hero.

              Dorothy in magical Oz longs for mundane Kansas.

              We seek home in the music of our youth, the now classic cars we couldn't have when we were young, comfort foods, even weight loss... that slim body we had in high school was home.

              Powerful stuff.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7698982].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
                Originally Posted by Pusateri View Post

                Nostalgia literally means "longing for home."

                Seems it's embedded in us.

                Odysseus will brave any danger and even give up sex with a goddess to get home. That's what makes him a hero.

                Dorothy in magical Oz longs for mundane Kansas.

                We seek home in the music of our youth, the now classic cars we couldn't have when we were young, comfort foods, even weight loss... that slim body we had in high school was home.

                Powerful stuff.
                That reminds me of what Dan Kennedy said about a client of his who sells investment properties in small towns in his State to out of State buyers.

                He tells how the town has remained like they knew back in the 60's when there was no crime and you knew everybody in town by their names.
                How there was a moral fabric standing.

                Oh the good old days.

                Naturally plays into the mind of what America should be
                to the Baby Boomers.

                Best,
                Ewen
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7699135].message }}
  • Harping back to the truck Ads for a minute.

    Here's an experiment.

    Lets say you're in the market and have no brand loyalty. And no idea of any "issues" with the manufacturers (quality, reliability etc).

    Watch all the Ads 7 times (yes each one x7).

    Now which truck will you buy? (again based solely on the Ads).

    Be interesting to see the results.


    Steve


    P.S. I would save the time and just leg it and buy the Ford.

    And be done with it - because I think it's the best Ad - from a buyer and users point of view.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7701039].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NewParadigm
    The product has to back up the ad. Walk your talk.

    I did like the Audi commercial where the kid marches right into the school dance and kisses the beauty queen. Driving home with a black eye and smiling after getting punched by her boyfriend.

    Also the taco bell ad w/ the old folks living it up.

    Feel good stuff with no cheap ploys.

    I hated the jeep ad trying to pull cheap heart strings w/ all the military stuff. (I love and respect our military). oprah???? WTF Oprah??? doing the voice over of a military/jeep ad? really? She should stick to 40ft limousines and private jets. I hope heads rolled over that ad.
    Signature

    In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing. ~ Theodore Roosevelt

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7703381].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Pusateri
    10 million views in five days.

    Traffic up 10x at the Ram website.

    Seems the ad resonated.

    That covers A and I. Let's see what they do about D and A.

    Chrysler's Super Bowl ad seen, shared more than 10 million times | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7711316].message }}

Trending Topics