Copywriters...If You Had To Get 2 New Clients This Week, How Would You Do It?

11 replies
Hi - I'm a copywriting newbie and want to get a couple of clients right away to get me started.

Here's a question for you experienced guys & gals...

If you found yourself with no clients and needed to get work fast, this week, what's the number 1 way you'd use to get a couple of new ones?

Here's hoping for some interesting strategies and I'd like to say many thanks in advance.
#clients #copywritersif #week
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Andrews
    Banned
    First I'd be looking at the Sticky Threads at the top of this forum Tim.

    Specifically this one...

    http://www.warriorforum.com/copywrit...pywriters.html

    And then I'd scroll down until I saw this...

    How To Get Clients

    And then I'd start reading the articles and threads listed there.

    Kindest regards,


    Mark Andrews
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7695837].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Moriarty
    Getting serious. The one thing you need to discover is what you like in your new job. You also need to find out what clients you like (and dislike). This is the basis of a sound business - and you can expand your niche that specializes in what you specialize in and the people who like what you specialize in.

    Only you don't know this yet.

    S0 start at the beginning. Get a job from fiverr or Freelance.nl or whatever. It isn't going to be fun scraping the barrel, at least you will get a little experience. With that, you can step out.

    Because those references will work on your website, and once your Adwords/SEO/social media campaigns start to kick in they will bring you serious money.

    Oh, and once you have done one or two gigs, the advice from Mark Andrews will actually make some sense to you. Because then you will have learned the pitfalls the hard way - and in truth there is little other way to learn them! I know, I have fallen into most of them at one time or other.

    I really hope this helps you find your feet in what is a fantastic job.

    Does this help any? Moriarty xx
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7696124].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author angiecolee
      Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post

      Getting serious. The one thing you need to discover is what you like in your new job. You also need to find out what clients you like (and dislike). This is the basis of a sound business - and you can expand your niche that specializes in what you specialize in and the people who like what you specialize in.

      Only you don't know this yet.

      S0 start at the beginning. Get a job from fiverr or Freelance.nl or whatever. It isn't going to be fun scraping the barrel, at least you will get a little experience. With that, you can step out.

      Because those references will work on your website, and once your Adwords/SEO/social media campaigns start to kick in they will bring you serious money.

      Oh, and once you have done one or two gigs, the advice from Mark Andrews will actually make some sense to you. Because then you will have learned the pitfalls the hard way - and in truth there is little other way to learn them! I know, I have fallen into most of them at one time or other.

      I really hope this helps you find your feet in what is a fantastic job.

      Does this help any? Moriarty xx
      I disagree that you have to get your feet wet with places like Fiverr just to understand what Mark is talking about. The best way to learn is by doing, and if you're going to do, you might as well make more than $5.
      Signature

      Aspiring copywriters: if you need 1:1 advice from an experienced copy chief, head over to my Phone a Friend page.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7696932].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marvin Johnston
    Contact the network for referrals.

    Marvin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7696397].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Moriarty
    Angie, I do agree with you - only there are times when people won't try you because you don't have anything to show. How else do you start? How else do you get a gig? By offering your services at $20 an hour when nobody will give you the work at that price? It's easy to price yourself out of the market before you have even started.

    Getting two gigs through fiverr is one thing - doing all your work through such channels is certainly not to be recommended. Because reading lots of stuff that goes in one ear and out the next will make a lot more sense if you have gotten your feet wet. If that has gotten you $10 that's fine. You will pick up $100 more information from Mark. Information that would have slipped by you without the knowledge obtained from having done it.

    Knowing what you don't know is an extremely powerful tool in the hands of a newbie.

    Anyway, it's not for us to judge. We both have clients and experience. I got mine the hard way. It is no less valuable on that account.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7696963].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mark Andrews
      Banned
      Ewen said it well on another thread in the past day or so...

      If you believe you are a copywriter then you are a copywriter. If you love people and enjoy helping them to the max, helping them to get what they want out of life, with the skills in your possession the world really is your oyster.

      The question is, who do you most want to help with the unique skills you have?

      Whose profits do you want to increase?

      Who do you most want to help in life?

      Whose life do you want to improve?

      Business is all about improving the lives of other people in some way. It really is as simple as that.

      And if you know, with the marketing and communication skills in your possession you can bring tremendous value to other peoples lives, then whichever niche you choose to operate in - you will make a success of your life.

      Keep aiming for low quality copywriting clients, aiming to help people with no real focus themselves, no clear sense of direction where they want to go, how they want to improve the lives of other people and you'll always be struggling for work.

      So get focused in like a laser on the people who can most benefit from your skill set. Hint: you're not likely to find them on Internet forums.

      If you're truly good at what you do, you'll have no problem making a connection with the audience, the target market you want to reach. And being that you're aligning yourself and your unique copywriting expertise with the exact audience who can most benefit from your personal skills, chances are, not only will they benefit massively but...

      You'll also make a lot of money yourself.

      Smoking hot,


      Mark Andrews
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7697770].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author angiecolee
      Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post

      Angie, I do agree with you - only there are times when people won't try you because you don't have anything to show. How else do you start? How else do you get a gig? By offering your services at $20 an hour when nobody will give you the work at that price? It's easy to price yourself out of the market before you have even started.

      Getting two gigs through fiverr is one thing - doing all your work through such channels is certainly not to be recommended. Because reading lots of stuff that goes in one ear and out the next will make a lot more sense if you have gotten your feet wet. If that has gotten you $10 that's fine. You will pick up $100 more information from Mark. Information that would have slipped by you without the knowledge obtained from having done it.

      Knowing what you don't know is an extremely powerful tool in the hands of a newbie.

      Anyway, it's not for us to judge. We both have clients and experience. I got mine the hard way. It is no less valuable on that account.
      Not judging. Simply disagreeing. I see more value in volunteering to write copy for an organization or cause you support than I do with selling cheap copy to people on sites like Fiverr. Once you've got a reputation as a cheap writer, it can be very difficult to climb out of that pit. Might as well aim high from the get go, especially if you've already got decent writing experience.
      Signature

      Aspiring copywriters: if you need 1:1 advice from an experienced copy chief, head over to my Phone a Friend page.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7698112].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
    Originally Posted by Tim Bazley View Post

    Hi - I'm a copywriting newbie and want to get a couple of clients right away to get me started.

    Here's a question for you experienced guys & gals...

    If you found yourself with no clients and needed to get work fast, this week, what's the number 1 way you'd use to get a couple of new ones?

    Here's hoping for some interesting strategies and I'd like to say many thanks in advance.
    A PPC ad might do the trick.

    Hop on over to Microsoft adCenter, open an account, and run a compelling ad that's congruent with your Tim Bazley - Leading UK Copywriter website.

    Alex

    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7698044].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonwebb
    put a classified ad up on the warrior forum
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7698243].message }}
    • Here are a few ideas that can work.

      1. Place an ad on Craigslist, Warrior Forum, DigitalPoint or other sites

      2. I once wrote a fundraising letter for a non-existent non-profit. I used this sample to get work with the ACLU.

      3. Bid for jobs on sites such as Elance or Guru.

      4. For one of my niches, I prefer to contact marketing executives with a letter of introduction

      5. Tell everyone you know you are looking for writing gigs. Your contacts may know someone who needs your services..

      6. PPC is an expensive option, but when I used Adwords it was a dismal failure.

      7. Cold calling local businesses is touted by many as being the best way to get clients..

      8. Answering job ads has also worked for me. But I had relevevt samples.

      There are numerous ways to find new clients. The book Guerrilla Marketing has many ideas useful for writers.

      I had to try various methods to learn what works best for me and my niches.
      Signature

      Copywriting for Internet Marketers - www.salescopythatconverts.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7698872].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tim Bazley
        Many thanks guys,

        Plenty to think about and try already.

        I know it's basically all about getting out there and 'knocking on doors'.

        I'll certainly put an ad on the Warriors For Hire section...I thought you had to have more posts than I've got to be able to do that, but it looks like I can do it now.

        Any more comments are still very welcome.

        Tim
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7699405].message }}

Trending Topics