Drayton Bird Unplugged: Wisdom, War Stories and Slashing Wit

18 replies
I'm excited, humbled, proud and, honestly, a little star-struck to announce an incredible evening with direct-marketing legend Drayton Bird for the June 2013 Fast Effective Copy Live Monthly Training plus Q&A with myself and David Garfinkel.

Drayton Bird Unplugged: Wisdom, War Stories and Slashing Wit From The World's Most Exceptional Copywriter

The webinar is this coming Wednesday, June 12th at 8 PM Eastern and it's absolutely free for you to attend - so please come as my guest.

Monthly Live Training Webinar | Fast Effective Copy

Here's one of my favorite Drayton Bird videos - was this Rezbi's?


NOTE: When you sign up, you'll be automagically registered for the webinar in GoToWebinar and added to the FEC monthly update list in Aweber for upcoming event announcements.

This is not a pitch webinar, it's monthly member training that you're invited to participate in (as a guest).

Hope you guys will come. I'm really stoked about this one.

Best,

Brian

P.S. I'm thinking some of you are sitting there silently seething that I've "spammed" or "abused my privileges" by posting this. If this subscribed 3 dozen people to that non-pitch Aweber list I'd be shocked.
Get real. THIS is what adding value to this joint looks like...
#bird #drayton #slashing #stories #unplugged #war #wisdom #wit
  • Profile picture of the author ASCW
    I'll be there dude. This is awesome.
    Signature

    Site being revamped.

    If you want help with copy stuff, pm me.

    Cool.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8155024].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author max5ty
    Good video...thanks for sharing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8157965].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author The Copy Nazi
    Banned
    Well, at the risk of appearing like a killjoy (yet again), I do find it odd that in the video he's talking about writing simple, plain English using less words... and then he goes on to say "... very often that's much more strong" - when he could have said "very often that's stronger".

    Grammar Girl has a good post on active/passive voice.

    A recent study suggests that less educated people--those who dropped out of school when they were 16--have a harder time understanding sentences written in the passive voice than those written in active voice. I only had access to the press release, not the original study, but the results made it seem as if you should stick with active voice if you're writing for the general population.
    In other words - write in simple short sentences - that even a five year old can understand - using active voice.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8158696].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RickDuris
    Originally Posted by BrianMcLeod View Post

    This is not a pitch webinar, it's monthly member training that you're invited to participate in (as a guest).

    Hope you guys will come. I'm really stoked about this one.

    Best,

    Brian

    P.S. I'm thinking some of you are sitting there silently seething that I've "spammed" or "abused my privileges" by posting this. If this subscribed 3 dozen people to that non-pitch Aweber list I'd be shocked.
    Get real. THIS is what adding value to this joint looks like...
    Great job. And quit apologizing for adding (incredible) value, damn it.

    - Rick Duris
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8159037].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CopyMonster
      Brian thanks for giving us the Bird (did I just write that?) The Bird is good.

      @Mal before I discovered copy, I wrote a lot of stuff in passive voice. I blame all them textbooks from college days and reports at the office. They all sounded so knowledg... smart!
      Signature
      Scary good...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8159910].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author The Copy Nazi
        Banned
        Originally Posted by CopyMonster View Post

        Brian thanks for giving us the Bird (did I just write that?) The Bird is good.

        @Mal before I discovered copy, I wrote a lot of stuff in passive voice. I blame all them textbooks from college days and reports at the office. They all sounded so knowledg... smart!
        "Thanks for giving us the Bird" - brilliant!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8160651].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author deezn
    I just signed up. These monthly seminars are awesome, thanks for putting them on.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8163174].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BrianMcLeod
    From Drayton's email questionnaire for the slides:

    I was there forty odd years ago when direct marketing became fashionable.

    There is a fair number of people who were fortunate enough to get on the ball with the internet early. As a result they built large lists and reputations and did very well. This persuaded them that they were geniuses.

    This in turn has led to their writing boastful stuff that would never do well if they didn't have those big lists. Unfortunately quite a few of them are prone to making promises which in print would land them in jail.

    One man claims he has generated $175,000 a month in consulting fees since January. Why does he need to sell advice to the teeming millions?
    Gotta love it... some sacred cows could be in danger tomorrow night.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8166652].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CopyMonster
      Originally Posted by BrianMcLeod View Post

      From Drayton's email questionnaire for the slides:

      I was there forty odd years ago when direct marketing became fashionable.

      There is a fair number of people who were fortunate enough to get on the ball with the internet early. As a result they built large lists and reputations and did very well. This persuaded them that they were geniuses.

      This in turn has led to their writing boastful stuff that would never do well if they didn't have those big lists. Unfortunately quite a few of them are prone to making promises which in print would land them in jail.

      One man claims he has generated $175,000 a month in consulting fees since January. Why does he need to sell advice to the teeming millions?


      Gotta love it... some sacred cows could be in danger tomorrow night.
      Wooooo... is it who I think it is? Sounds like it will be even more fun than normal. Always fun busting sacred cows!
      Signature
      Scary good...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8166777].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Copy Nazi
      Banned
      Originally Posted by BrianMcLeod View Post

      From Drayton's email questionnaire for the slides:



      Gotta love it... some sacred cows could be in danger tomorrow night.
      OK...NOW I'm interested. ;-)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8168013].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marvin Johnston
    This was a great listen in hearing Drayton Bird reminisce about his days in direct marketing. Lots of good information and I'm looking foward to hearing the replay!

    Marvin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8173818].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author The Copy Nazi
    Banned
    I'm listening to the replay. I'm gobsmacked (as the Brits say). David Garfinkel only heard about a "Brief" two years ago? This is the problem with I.M. copywriters. As Bird says...copy fails for five reasons - "the brief...the brief...the brief...the brief...the brief.

    And guys - you've got to stop interrupting your guest. I mean ...this is Drayton Bird here. You keep making inane comments and putting him off. The impression I get is that you've paid him so you feel its OK to do this. It's not.

    And the Halbert comment? I literally squirmed. What is it with you guys? You think Halbert (God rest his soul and I think he's one of the greats) was the only decent copywriter around? Sugarman, Ogilvy...God there's heaps...were just as good. Maybe better.


    I'll be back. This is a long webinar.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8187797].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BrianMcLeod
    Oh good, looks like it's my turn for a Lambasting.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8187861].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Copy Nazi
      Banned
      Originally Posted by BrianMcLeod View Post

      Oh good, looks like it's my turn for a Lambasting.
      I was hoping you wouldn't see it like that. So if that's the case...I won't comment further. I haven't had time to continue watching. But I will. The "brief" thing, for instance, could help a lot of people here - if they cared to stop self-advertising and bickering.

      I'm tired of this place. I'm tired of twerps taking cheap shots at me. Twerps that hide under pseudos and claim to be all sorts of thing they can't prove.

      This webinar resonated with me because I've had similar experiences. Bird was maybe ten years before me but I know exactly where he's coming from. I love watching MAD MEN for the same reason.

      BTW if you think I'm "lambasting" in this forum...LOL...I constantly have to hold back...under the threat of being banned.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8188006].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BrianMcLeod
    Bad read - I'm totally okay with you slapping us around.

    You've always been on my good guy list - even if you like to mix it up in here.

    And keep going... some of the better segments of the call happen later on.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8188059].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Copy Nazi
      Banned
      Originally Posted by BrianMcLeod View Post

      Bad read - I'm totally okay with you slapping us around.

      You've always been on my good guy list - even if you like to mix it up in here.

      And keep going... some of the better segments of the call happen later on.
      OK. I'll keep going. BTW - it's not that I "like to mix it up in here" - it's that I won't suffer fools. I don't actually enjoy arguing - drains me.

      There's some very good stuff in this webinar. I don't like webinars - I prefer to read. But I'm at 50 minutes. Drayton just said -
      Really great ideas come from the unexpected juxtapositon of things that at first glance don't seem to have anything to do with each other. There are elements of surprise.
      You may recall last week or so I was talking about the Taco Bell "licking" thing. And I suggested that perhaps they should run with it. And some of the geniuses here derided and attacked me. "You can't associate food with licking" blah blah blah.

      That's the sort of dull, conventional thinking that means those guys will never cut it. Never.

      Look at this. Yes...it's not food...but it's certainly out there. I can just hear these same prats saying "You can't say that".


      http://youtube.com/I03UmJbK0lA


      As Drayton says -
      Rise above mediocrity
      The "what makes a good copywriter" stuff could be very helpful to people here as well.

      Perhaps you need to post some "Cliffs Notes"? This is a very interesting webinar. My God it's long though. I'm only half way through.

      Drayton says - "Copywriters are curious - they're interested in everything"..."Copywriters are interested in people"..."Copywriters are argumentative". Who would have thought?

      This is the book Drayton recommends - Amazon.com: Changing the World Is the Only Fit...Amazon.com: Changing the World Is the Only Fit...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8188118].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DavidG
    I don't mean to offend anyone but Drayton reminded me of Halbert. Not that Halbert is better or anything... but Drayton kept telling story after story.

    I saw all 2 hours of it. Wisdom for sure.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8188233].message }}

Trending Topics