25 replies
It seemsevery other website now has a video for their copy...seems like traditional sales pages with just text are getting lesser and lesser...and I wouldn't be surprised if they sold less compared to pages with video for selling.

Now I know they say what copywriters 'write' ..almost same as whats written but don't you think this makes stuffs much more difficult for copywriters to get clients since they want a video and they dont understand that the video is presenting the same thing - they rather go to someone who can make them the video and skip copywriters assuming its in writing and they just need a video!

Thoughts?
#copywriting #dead
  • Profile picture of the author max5ty
    Originally Posted by Joshua P View Post

    It seemsevery other website now has a video for their copy...seems like traditional sales pages with just text are getting lesser and lesser...and I wouldn't be surprised if they sold less compared to pages with video for selling.

    Now I know they say what copywriters 'write' ..almost same as whats written but don't you think this makes stuffs much more difficult for copywriters to get clients since they want a video and they dont understand that the video is presenting the same thing - they rather go to someone who can make them the video and skip copywriters assuming its in writing and they just need a video!

    Thoughts?
    Its' ok...

    You probably don't know any better.

    Couple things:

    Obviously someone will point out that copywriters write scripts for VSLs.

    But, did you know there's a whole world of copywriters out there that do more than just write sales letters?

    Everything from display ads to package covers, commercials, infomercials, blogs, etc.

    I realize most think a copywriter is just someone that writes sales letters...but they're usually people that discovered the whole copywriting thing from the internet.

    There are multi-million dollar copywriters that have never written a sales letter.

    Sales letter writers are just a small part of the equation.

    Most of the products that have sold in the billions and millions of dollars, have never had a sales letter written for them. It was all accomplished by very creative copywriters.

    Once you realize what all copywriting covers, you'll see you were using a very narrow focus when you thought copywriting was dead.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8330686].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author shawnlebrun
      Originally Posted by max5ty View Post

      Its' ok...

      You probably don't know any better.

      Couple things:

      Obviously someone will point out that copywriters write scripts for VSLs.

      But, did you know there's a whole world of copywriters out there that do more than just write sales letters?

      Everything from display ads to package covers, commercials, infomercials, blogs, etc.

      I realize most think a copywriter is just someone that writes sales letters...but they're usually people that discovered the whole copywriting thing from the internet.

      There are multi-million dollar copywriters that have never written a sales letter.

      Sales letter writers are just a small part of the equation.

      Most of the products that have sold in the billions and millions of dollars, have never had a sales letter written for them. It was all accomplished by very creative copywriters.

      Once you realize what all copywriting covers, you'll see you were using a very narrow focus when you thought copywriting was dead.
      Incredibly well said!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8331094].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author EricRand
      Originally Posted by max5ty View Post


      Most of the products that have sold in the billions and millions of dollars, have never had a sales letter written for them. It was all accomplished by very creative copywriters.
      The growth curve for copywriting is only getting steeper. More people online, getting comfortable with online copy, purchasing more from online sources.

      Long live copywriters....

      Eric Rand
      Signature

      Watch this spot for something COOL....

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8449497].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joshua P
    thanks but what about people like me who only know how to 'write' copy??

    Also,curious how copywriters got their copy written by someone else?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8333155].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
      Originally Posted by Joshua P View Post

      thanks but what about people like me who only know how to 'write' copy??
      Sounds like you are insecure that you only know how to write copy.

      If you were to turn that around by understanding copy is salesmanship multiplied
      by the media it's in, then you get away from your self limiting beliefs.

      Best,
      Ewen
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8333197].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tinkerbell
    You guys are bad.

    Joshua, the script for the videos you mentioned *are* written by copywriters. They are written, and then they are spoken on video by the actor or actress in the video - or the voiceover guy or gal.

    It's okay if you only know how to write copy. You can do that and hand the copy you have written off to someone else to speak it on camera.

    The thing these guys have (so far) left out of their answers is that copyWRITING isn't dead. It is simply being presented in a different format (aka video) than that in which it was created.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8333218].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mmchael
      The same principles apply to writing video scripts as it does for writing a sales page, a letter or an Ad. The same thinking and approach applies.

      Copywriters are story tellers with the objective of persuading the audience to an action.

      Copywriting is not writing per-se it's a mind set and an approach. Copywriting is the art of persuasive communication. Words, video, images are the elements, the tools.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8349304].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Waitcouk
    A lot of good replies here. Copywriting has developed a lot since the creation of radio, then TV and especially so for the Internet. Sales letters are perhaps the most obvious form of copywriting, but as others have said it includes scripts for ads, social media work and good copy on websites. A lot of writers now perform copywriting duties for their companies or for agencies. As the internet develops, it is becoming increasingly important to know how to write good, subtle copy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8349391].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sethczerepak
    lol Damn videos. Oh well, guess my days as a copywriter are numbered. I wonder who will come up with those words though. You know, the ones you hear when the video is on. Hmmm....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8352072].message }}
  • I've seen video out perform sales letters for cold traffic quite a bit.

    They cant just scroll down to see what it costs before you've had a chance to build value. and you are engaging more of the senses.

    I've found those sales video forumulas very dissappointing though.

    I still go with the core elements of a sales letter translated onto the screen.
    Signature
    "Peter Brennan is the real deal, In the first 12 hours we did $80k...and over $125k in the first week...if you want to be successful online, outsource your copywriting to Peter"
    Adam Linkenauger

    For 12 ways to sell more stuff to more people today...go to...www.peterbrennan.net
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8353257].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CopyHat
      Originally Posted by Quality Copywriter View Post

      I've seen video out perform sales letters for cold traffic quite a bit.

      They cant just scroll down to see what it costs before you've had a chance to build value. and you are engaging more of the senses.

      I've found those sales video forumulas very dissappointing though.

      I still go with the core elements of a sales letter translated onto the screen.
      Video yields better conversions hands down.
      Not to say that SLs are out, but a lot of time I like to add a video onto my sales letter that is a "compact" version of the sales letter as a whole and it always increases my CR, despite it being only a "compressed" version of the sales letter.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8356225].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AndrewCavanagh
    It's all just salesmanship in one form or another.

    The video sales letter requires someone to write the copy
    for it (and a good video sales letter really is just a sales
    letter...it has all the components).

    An optin form, a follow up email...it's all persuasion of some
    kind and they all require good quality sales copy.

    The communication methods we use may change but the
    core methods of persuasion don't.

    And for the record I still have plenty of regular sales letters
    without video performing very well.

    Video sales letters have their place but like most innovations
    they perform better when they're first used then slowly lose
    some of their effectiveness as people begin to recognize
    the form you're using.

    Put another way early on just plain full on selling ads were
    effective in newspapers but over time ads that looked like
    articles or reports became more effective because they
    reflected what people were reading.

    Online there's a similar scenario...sales letters that read
    like reports often get a higher response.

    Early days in video sales letters but I would expect videos
    that deliver some enticing content are going to get a better
    response in many cases than a straight sales letter.

    And creating video sales letters that include high quality
    content is a skill that's going to take a good copywriter.

    Kindest regards,
    Andrew Cavanagh
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8359692].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SEOJunky
    Every time someone writes and posts an article about sales copy being "dead", an angel strangles a kitten.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8391068].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ross Bowring
    If it's dead then, why, when I go to a seminar and tell the room that I'm a copywriter, do I get chased down and people virtually stand in line to talk with me?

    It can't solely be my manly physique and my beautifully British accent.

    I think it has to do with the fact that people everywhere are desperate for direction and input from someone who can increase their sales thru smart marketing.

    --- Ross
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8392562].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shawnlebrun
    Ross,

    It's your shaved head, I know that from personal experience.

    I just shaved my head a few weeks ago and I must say, the ladies are loving it.

    Well, okay, with that I mean that less restraining orders are being placed on me, and I'm being pepper sprayed less and less.... but still, it's a start.

    Bald and shaved heads rule!!!!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8392636].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ross Bowring
      Originally Posted by shawnlebrun View Post

      Ross,

      It's your shaved head, I know that from personal experience.

      I just shaved my head a few weeks ago and I must say, the ladies are loving it.

      Well, okay, with that I mean that less restraining orders are being placed on me, and I'm being pepper sprayed less and less.... but still, it's a start.

      Bald and shaved heads rule!!!!!
      Shawn, it's my productivity trick. No time wasted primping and fussing in the mirror in the morning.

      I could grow a full head of hair if I wanted. I choose not to for the betterment of my clients.

      But seriously... you see some guys and I want to go up to them and say, "Dude, it's time to shave it ALL off. You ain't foolin' no-one."

      --- Ross
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8392829].message }}
      • Originally Posted by Ross Bowring View Post

        But seriously... you see some guys and I want to go up to them and say, "Dude, it's time to shave it ALL off. You ain't foolin' no-one."

        --- Ross
        I notice a lot of members of Congress continue to soldier on with a few strands. It looks nuts. Shave that head, Congressman.
        Signature
        Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
        - Jack Trout
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8395150].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Beverley Boorer
    Erm how did this thread go from copywriting vs video to shaved heads? Personally I dislike both video and shaved heads! I'd much rather read than listen, mainly because I read faster than most people talk - and if they do talk fast I can't understand them. As for the shaved heads - all I can say is if you want to look like a bald, old guy, go ahead and shave it all off.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8395200].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jakedenver
    I don’t think it’s “dead” dead. There are no more magical secrets left to burn people with though. A good product will just …sell
    Here’s the magic bullet my friend. Listen up; I had to spend five years learning this the hard way. Now I drive a 2007 SUV so I’m obviously rich and famous. This is a three step formula that’s going to make everyone here rich!!!
    1. Show results in advance. If you can’t then you have no business selling the thing.
    2. Get social proof. The best way is to make them piss their selves because of the value you’ve provided them.
    3. Be ready to sell more when they come back.
    Do all of this in a video that doesn’t suck and you will get them to buy the product.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8421883].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wordwizard
      Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post

      You guys are bad.

      Joshua, the script for the videos you mentioned *are* written by copywriters. They are written, and then they are spoken on video by the actor or actress in the video - or the voiceover guy or gal.

      It's okay if you only know how to write copy. You can do that and hand the copy you have written off to someone else to speak it on camera.

      The thing these guys have (so far) left out of their answers is that copyWRITING isn't dead. It is simply being presented in a different format (aka video) than that in which it was created.
      Besides... when you click to close a window with a video sales letter, you're often taken to a "real" sales letter... Just yesterday, I heard (or saw?), "oh, no time to watch the video? Here's the info" or something like that.

      Definitely not dead. Also, there are autoresponder emails, and lots more.

      Originally Posted by Ross Bowring View Post

      If it's dead then, why, when I go to a seminar and tell the room that I'm a copywriter, do I get chased down and people virtually stand in line to talk with me?

      It can't solely be my manly physique and my beautifully British accent.

      I think it has to do with the fact that people everywhere are desperate for direction and input from someone who can increase their sales thru smart marketing.

      --- Ross
      Well, Ross, if your image/avatar does you justice, you're an exceptionally goodlooking bald guy

      But of course I also agree with you that you do get people's attention when they hear you're a copywriter (provided they know what that really means).
      Signature

      FREE Report: 5 Ways To Grow Your Affiliate Income

      Let Me Help You Sell: Sales Letters, Email Series, Pre-Sell Reports... PM me & we'll talk!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8440542].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lokahi
    If your own copywriting clients are pestering you with that same refrain, 'but i just want a video!' then prove to them why they need your services and how you can write the script for the video they want. Show samples of your script work done for other campaigns. Don't let go of the copywriting opportunities so easily just because your clients are uninformed.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453239].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BrandonLee
    I'm guessing that Agora thinks the sales letter is alive and very well. Go to any of the promotions they are running right now and the first thing you will see is a pop up that asks if you would like to watch the video or read the transcript.
    I'm betting most people go with the video, but I'd also be willing to speculate that conversions are higher and total lifetime value per customer is higher amongst the readers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8457384].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BrandonLee
    Also - I suspect that copy long form, direct response copy has been "dying" since the very day it was born. The other day I was at the public library and came across some old copies of Advertising Age magazine. It's a trade publication for those in the advertising and marketing industry. I was looking at several issues from the mid to late 80's and guess what, traditional, direct response copy, ESPECIALLY LOOOOOOOOONG Copy that nobody will ever read, had one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel back then too. I expect that if I would have looked back further I would have found the same thing in other periods too.
    Until people become 100% rational creatures, my guess is that a good copywriter will be able to continue to make good money.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8457387].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
    Copywriting is more alive today than it ever was.

    More and more people are turning to the internet and looking for ways to earn enough money to live like a fukcing human being - instead of endlessly trading their time for money.

    As an entrepreneur myself, there are months when I make a killing.

    As well as months where I don't.

    But the fact that everyday breeds opportunities most people don't have is a miracle.

    And I owe that miracle to copywriting.

    A lot of people owe that miracle to copywriting.

    So...

    Is copywriting dead - just because the mediums are changing and expanding?

    Fukc no.

    That's ignorant.

    It's a sign that whomever thinks copywriting is dead... doesn't understand what the hell copywriting IS.

    Mark
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8457565].message }}

Trending Topics