Affirmations For Copywriters

56 replies
I believe that it is possible to achieve whatever you want by using positive affirmations, using powerful positive thinking techniques and visualizations.

Below is a list of positive affirmations I found for designers and modified it for copywriters (credit: mydreamsmatter.com).

Please add your own affirmations if you wish, thank you.

I AM ALWAYS PRESENT AND IN THE MOMENT.

I AM OPEN TO RECEIVING SUCCESS AS A COPYWRITER.

I AM CAPABLE AND PREPARED FOR EVERY PROJECT THAT COMES MY WAY.

I AM AN AMAZING COPYWRITER.

I ENJOY CREATING NEW COPY.

I AM GRATEFUL FOR EVERY COPYWRITING PROJECT THAT COMES MY WAY.

I EFFORTLESSLY ATTRACT CREATIVITY.

I AM CONSISTENTLY PRESENTED WITH NEW OPPORTUNITIES AND SUCCESSES.

I LOVE THE EXCITING AND CREATIVE JOBS THAT COME MY WAY.

I ALWAYS HAVE EVERYTHING I NEED TO BE A SUCCESSFUL COPYWRITER.

I MANAGE MY TASKS PROFESSIONALLY.

I HAVE PERFECT INSTINCTS.

I AM ALWAYS CALM, COLLECTED AND CREATIVE.

MY PURPOSE AS A COPYWRITER IS TO BE SUCCESSFUL AND INFLUENTIAL.

I AM KNOWN FOR MY POSITIVE ENERGY AND CREATIVE LIFESTYLE.

I WORK ON AMAZING PROJECTS WITH GREAT PEOPLE.

I MANIFEST ABUNDANCE WITH MY CREATIVE GIFTS AND TALENTS.

I AM A FINANCIALLY WEALTHY COPYWRITER CONTRIBUTING TO MEANINGFUL PROJECTS.

I LOVE HAVING A PROSPEROUS CAREER AS A COPYWRITER.

I AM SURROUNDED BY PEOPLE WHO ARE EAGER TO ELEVATE MY SUCCESS.

PEOPLE RECOGNIZE AND RESPECT MY UNIQUE TALENTS AS A COPYWRITER.

I SEEK INSPIRATION AND MENTORSHIP FROM OTHER TALENTED COPYWRITERS.

MY CLIENTS ARE ALWAYS HAPPY WITH THE COPIES I SUBMIT, EVEN WHEN THERE ARE REVISIONS.

MY SUCCESS AS A COPYWRITER IS NECESSARY.

I CONTRIBUTE TO A POSITIVE AND INFLUENTIAL PRESENCE TO THIS PLANET.

I LISTEN TO OTHERS WITH PATIENCE, COMPASSION AND UNDERSTANDING.

I COMMUNICATE CLEARLY, GRACEFULLY AND ARTISTICALLY.

I CREATE THE EXACT LIFE I WANT TO LIVE WITH ENTHUSIASM.

I CHOOSE HAPPINESS, SUCCESS AND CREATIVITY IN MY LIFE.

MIRACLES AND MAGIC SURROUND ME EVERYWHERE I GO.

I LIVE A CREATIVE LIFE.

ALL OF MY DREAMS ARE COMING TRUE RIGHT NOW!

AND SO IT IS.
#affirmations #copywriters
  • Profile picture of the author Ross Bowring
    With love...

    While you're reciting War 'n' Peace some other copywriter is actually HUSTLING in the real world to make great shit happen for his clients and create a frenzy of hungry leads.

    --- Ross
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8479819].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Ross Bowring View Post

      With love...

      While you're reciting War 'n' Peace some other copywriter is actually HUSTLING in the real world to make great shit happen for his clients and create a frenzy of hungry leads.

      --- Ross
      John Carlton, Ted Nicholas, Robert Collier and other giants I'm sure you know of recite this "War 'n' Peace" you speak of. I'll recite it all day every day if it helps me with "hustling" in the real world.

      - With love of course
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8479903].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
    Originally Posted by Michael De La Nuez View Post

    I believe that it is possible to achieve whatever you want by using positive affirmations, using powerful positive thinking techniques and visualizations.
    Sorry to say, you're living in a dream world.

    Alex
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8479861].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Alex Cohen View Post

      Sorry to say, you're living in a dream world.

      Alex
      Thank you Alex. This "dream world" I'm living in is fantastic. Wish you were there.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8479880].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ross Bowring
    Sorry about the "with love", came off jerky.

    --- Ross
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8479964].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Ross Bowring View Post

      Sorry about the "with love", came off jerky.

      --- Ross
      No worries my friend. I just think how interesting (and how fast) the responses received from those with disbelief (which I respect, everyone is entitled to their own).

      I never asked for opinions on the topic of "Affirmations". I did ask for others to post more affirmations if any.

      But now that this thread has been shifted from something positive to negative (negative in the sense of hammering my "Affirmations" thread as if I requested for a critique on a sales letter) then might as well keep em coming. I'll take it for entertainment as it humors me.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8480001].message }}
  • Originally Posted by Ken_Caudill View Post

    Ah, the Institute For Creative Neurosis is seeking new members.
    That's classic! My stomach hurts from laughing so hard!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8479967].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AnabelleFlorida
    Thanks for the affirmations, Michael.

    Hustling is great and often needed in any business, but I always make time for Yoga, Meditation, and now I'll give these affirmations a try.

    It only takes a moment, but it's enough to keep you balanced, focused, sharp, and ready to go!

    Here are two affirmations for you …



    “My life is filled with abundance and wealth”



    “ I have enough money to meet all my needs and more!”



    With these easy affirmations, at least once every day, you’ll be amazed at what energy you attract.

    It's all about moving out of the mindset of deficiency, and into one of true prosperity!


    Hey! I just realized you're in Fort Lauderdale. I'm in the Gables! Hi!
    Signature
    “It doesn’t matter who you are, or where you came from. The ability to triumph begins with you. Always.” ~Oprah Winfrey

    “The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” ~Ayn Rand
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8480121].message }}
    • Originally Posted by AnabelleFlorida View Post

      Thanks for the affirmations, Michael.

      Hustling is great and often needed in any business, but I always make time for Yoga, Meditation, and now I'll give these affirmations a try.

      It only takes a moment, but it's enough to keep you balanced, focused, sharp, and ready to go!

      Here are two affirmations for you ...



      "My life is filled with abundance and wealth"



      " I have enough money to meet all my needs and more!"



      With these easy affirmations, at least once every day, you'll be amazed at what energy you attract.

      It's all about moving out of the mindset of deficiency, and into one of true prosperity!


      Hey! I just realized you're in Fort Lauderdale. I'm in the Gables! Hi!
      Anabelle thank you for sharing

      I was raised in Miami and work in Broward County but always commute to South Dade on my days off because I have family there.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8480275].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
    Awesome affirmations Michael.

    These are great tools for keeping one's attention focused on what feels good. I have a few affirmations I internally speak everyday, including the type of people who are drawn to work with me. And I've consistently manifested the content of my desires.

    This thread is a nice interruption to the overly cerebral (but appreciated) tone that takes place in this joint.

    Mark
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8480545].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
      Originally Posted by Mark Pescetti View Post

      And I've consistently manifested the content of my desires.
      One of my wife's friends "always" wins when she goes to the casino. That must be true, because we never hear about any losing trips.

      Kind of reminds me of the positive affirmation crowd. Failures to manifest are simply denied.

      Denying reality is a counter-productive mindset for a copywriter to have.

      Alex
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8480753].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
        Originally Posted by Alex Cohen View Post

        One of my wife's friends "always" wins when she goes to the casino. That must be true, because we never hear about any losing trips.

        Kind of reminds me of the positive affirmation crowd. Failures to manifest are simply denied.

        Denying reality is a counter-productive mindset for a copywriter to have.

        Alex
        I said consistently. Not always.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8480780].message }}
      • Originally Posted by Alex Cohen View Post

        One of my wife's friends "always" wins when she goes to the casino. That must be true, because we never hear about any losing trips.

        Kind of reminds me of the positive affirmation crowd. Failures to manifest are simply denied.

        Denying reality is a counter-productive mindset for a copywriter to have.

        Alex
        And the "reality" is that affirmations do work, because I am a living testament of that "reality" - so Alex, you must be a very "counter-productive" individual.

        It appears as if this topic is affecting you emotionally? Second time you post a "counter-productive" comment, when in "reality" - I never asked for opinions. I only asked to share affirmations if any.

        It's obvious that this thread was made for those that practice affirmations, or are interested in doing so.

        So aren't you being "counter-productive" from the start by clicking on a thread titled "Affirmations For Copywriters"?

        How many seconds of your life did you burn for typing out those two posts on a topic you deny so wholeheartedly?

        Sounds like you got some productive thinking to do Alex :rolleyes:
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8480791].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
          Originally Posted by Michael De La Nuez View Post

          And the "reality" is that affirmations do work, because I am a living testament of that "reality" - so Alex, you must be a very "counter-productive" individual.

          It appears as if this topic is affecting you emotionally? Second time you post a "counter-productive" comment, when in "reality" - I never asked for opinions. I only asked to share affirmations if any.

          It's obvious that this thread was made for those that practice affirmations, or are interested in doing so.

          So aren't you being "counter-productive" from the start by clicking on a thread titled "Affirmations For Copywriters"?

          How many seconds of your life did you burn for typing out those two posts on a topic you deny so wholeheartedly?

          Sounds like you got some productive thinking to do Alex :rolleyes:
          I won't pretend that I understand what you've just written. LOL

          But all is not lost...

          Excellent copywriting lesson in this thread. Throughout, we've seen an example of a "firmly held belief".

          As a copywriter, key in on your prospect's firmly held beliefs and sell him what he thinks will solve his problem. Or make his life better.

          Alex
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8480826].message }}
          • Originally Posted by Alex Cohen View Post

            I won't pretend that I understand what you've just written. LOL

            But all is not lost...

            Excellent copywriting lesson in this thread. Throughout, we've seen an excellent example of a "firmly held belief".

            As a copywriter, key in on your prospect's firmly held beliefs and sell him what he thinks will solve his problem. Or make his life better.

            Alex
            Thank you for sharing that lesson Alex

            In closing...



            It's okay - you don't have to pretend that you understand that either. LOL. Have a great night my friend.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8480855].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
              "I Ewen, think the positive affirmation crowd
              are a delusional lot!"

              There I affirmed it so it must be true..right?

              Best
              Ewen
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8480880].message }}
              • Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

                "I Ewen, think the positive affirmation crowd
                are a delusional lot!"

                There I affirmed it so it must be true..right?

                Best
                Ewen
                Napoelon Hill - Think And Grow Rich

                Chapter 3 - Faith - VISUALIZATION OF, AND BELIEF IN ATTAINMENT OF DESIRE

                "FAITH is a state of mind which may be induced, or created, by affirmation or repeated instructions to the subconscious mind, through the principle of auto-suggestion."


                I guess this classic book that made millionaires/billionaires also made them delusional.

                Oh, and may I add, the millionaires/billionaires that helped Napoleon put this book together were also, I guess, delusional. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

                More delusionals:

                Robert Collier - wrote books on a variety of subjects that included self-help, New Thought, the psychology of abundance, desire, faith, visualization, becoming your best, and copywriting

                Joe Karbo - Talks about the power of Super Suggestion and Daily Declarations (a.k.a. affirmations)

                John Carlton - In his Kick Ass Copywriting guide he highly recommends Think And Grow Rich (which applies the method of affirmation)

                Ted Nicholas - is an advocate of affirmations, he talks about it in interviews, his books, even shares a list of affirmations in his book "Billion Dollar Marketing Secrets" - first appendix.

                And many more.... delusional they are!
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8480978].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author max5ty
                Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

                "I Ewen, think the positive affirmation crowd
                are a delusional lot!"

                There I affirmed it so it must be true..right?

                Best
                Ewen
                You are using affirmations in that long nonsensical signature of yours.

                Ever heard of write your goals down? Read them daily? Another form of affirmations.

                Originally, I was gonna do a list of all the very successful people that use affirmations in one form or another...I nixed the idea because it would pretty much be the entire list of the who's who of success.

                So, it would probably just be easier if you scour google and give an example of a highly successful person that says they're quackery.

                Anyways...my suggestion is, when confronted with overwhelming evidence, it's best to look further into it and see what it's all about.

                If you've had some bad experiences with them I'd love to hear about it.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8485287].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Memetics
                  From a neuroscience perspective, affirmations work by gradually altering your belief system in a drip, drip fashion targeting the emotional brain.

                  Their main target is the trait of procrastination.

                  Back in the ancestral environment procrastination was a very important energy conservation heuristic in that it discouraged high energy expenditure towards goals which "might" pay off at a tenuous later time.

                  The meal today was favoured over the possibility of two meals tomorrow; basically life was short and brutal and your genes weren't concerned about analysing probabilities of future outcomes and prefered the insurance model instead.

                  Beliefs are stored in the amygdala along with a cohort of emotions as bodyguards to protect them. That's why anyone with any knowledge of persuasion will tell you: "First create an emotional response".

                  Once you have an emotional response then beliefs are open to modification.

                  Affirmations are a very mild emotional trigger, but given enough of them over a long period of time they exert leverage on your beliefs by convincing your procrastination heuristic that a certain course of action is very useful and will payoff big style in the future.

                  The result? Increased energy, drive and resilience in pursuit of your goals.

                  Huge emotional triggers on the other hand kick your beliefs ass. Thats why some people can literally turn their lives around and become "driven" to change themselves and their circumstances.
                  Signature

                  First we believe.....then we consider.

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8486244].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Cam Connor
              Originally Posted by Michael De La Nuez View Post

              Thank you for sharing that lesson Alex

              In closing...



              It's okay - you don't have to pretend that you understand that either. LOL. Have a great night my friend.
              That guy's cool-looking, who is that?
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8502298].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Andrew Gould
                Originally Posted by Cam Connor View Post

                That guy's cool-looking, who is that?
                I'd hazard a guess at Ebenezer Scrooge.
                Signature

                Andrew Gould

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8502319].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Cam Connor
                  Originally Posted by Andrew Gould View Post

                  I'd hazard a guess at Ebenezer Scrooge.
                  Yea, that was my first guess too, but that guy's obviously a pretty good Copywriter... he's got gold coins stacked all over the place. Maybe he's the Grandfather of Copywriting...
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8504100].message }}
    • [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8480802].message }}
      • Originally Posted by Mark Pescetti View Post

        Awesome affirmations Michael.

        These are great tools for keeping one's attention focused on what feels good.
        Mark, that what you said is key! - I consider these affirmations as powerful tools to get me going, and it does a great job doing so.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8480804].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

    Physiologically, affirmations can only work if they're supported by a reference point or strong belief.

    If you say:

    "Making $10,00 a month is easy," but you're only used to making $15 an hour, the affirmation will feel like a lie...

    ...especially since your attention will likely be seduced by things like big price tags and mounting bills.

    That's the problem.

    People don't understand the difference between intentions and attention.

    Intentions are fleeting. Your attention isn't.

    To make a blanket statement that people who use affirmations are delusional is ignorant. But if that's what you believe, it's easy to prove right.

    Mark

    P.S. PM me if you want to see a mindset blog I wrote where I described (or affirmed( a $10,000 client; a client that found and hired me a short time later - who still works with me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8480907].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
      Ok let's break down the first sentence which I'll quote...

      "I believe that it is possible to achieve whatever you want by using positive affirmations, using powerful positive thinking techniques and visualizations"

      Some people are not physically capable of doing things,
      no matter how much they affirm and visualize.

      Can a dwarf run a 4 minute mile?

      Can a person fly if he jumps off the 37th floor?

      Can a 4ft woman beat the world heavyweight boxer at boxing if she was ever allowed in the ring?

      Can you make the sun rise in the west?

      No,

      Making such broad statements sets yourself up for
      ridicule through an ounce of common sense.

      Now let's see the justification to save face.

      Best,
      Ewen
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8481008].message }}
      • Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

        Ok let's break down the first sentence which I'll quote...

        "I believe that it is possible to achieve whatever you want by using positive affirmations, using powerful positive thinking techniques and visualizations"

        Some people are not physically capable of doing things,
        no matter how much they affirm and visualize.

        Can a dwarf run a 4 minute mile?

        Can a person fly if he jumps off the 37th floor?

        Can a 4ft woman beat the world heavyweight boxer at boxing if she was ever allowed in the ring?

        Can you make the sun rise in the west?

        No,

        Making such broad statements sets yourself up for
        ridicule through an ounce of common sense.

        Now let's see the justification to save face.

        Best,
        Ewen
        Wow Ewen - talk about extreme examples there buddy!

        It all comes down to common sense -

        I think a person has lots of soul searching to do with affirmations such as what you posted.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8481122].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
          Originally Posted by Michael De La Nuez View Post

          Wow Ewen - talk about extreme examples there buddy!

          It all comes down to common sense -

          I think a person has lots of soul searching to do with affirmations such as what you posted.
          Totally the type of response I was expecting.

          Best,
          Ewen
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8483181].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shawnlebrun
    Back when I was a real estate agent in the late 90's... I listened to "The Psychology of Sales" by Brian Tracy.

    In there, was a section on affirmations... where Brian told you to repeatedly tell yourself "I think I can, I think I can.... I'm great, I'm the best", etc...

    Well, being a new realtor, I'd go into a listing presentation unprepared and only relying on my affirmations.

    Of course, I'd get my proverbial "ass handed to me".... and leave without the listing.

    so, I'd go back to my car, put in my affirmations tape, and listen to them and repeat them again.

    Over time, I realized the REAL magic happened when you combined affirmations with massive action towards the goals you want.

    In other words, instead of just reciting affirmations... recite one of them and take a step towards making it happen. Put in tangible, real world action steps and effort.

    Instead of copywriters mumbling "I am a great copywriter" and leaving it as that... tell yourself that, and then go out and find some of the best ads and deconstruct them, or write them out in your own handwriting, or some kind of actual action.

    THAT is where most people miss the mark, is they simply think that saying affirmations... or using the law of attraction... will just bring shit to them.

    Nope, you gotta follow through with massive action towards that goal. Like... real action steps each and every day TOWARDS what you want. Sure, you can "say" the affirmation... but then go out and put boots to pavement.

    Michael, I totally agree that success begins in the mind... its your mindset that matters most.

    But, where it goes to the next level is taking that mindset and putting action steps and real steps into place.

    Michael, have you read "The Science of Getting Rich" by Wallace Wattles yet?

    I recommend it if you haven't.

    Basically, it talks about how success in anything first starts in your mind, with a thought... and from there, you can create what you think about, if you take action.

    You've got to do things in a certain way... and take certain steps... but like you're pointing out, it all starts in the mind.

    What you think about.... you become. And what you think about, you can create... from nothing.

    Much like an artist's next painting first begins in the mind, or a sculpture's next piece begins in the mind... so does all of success.

    You first think... and then you do.

    So, to me, when I dropped affirmations and started using more "thought plus action equals goals" thinking... my life changed.

    To this day, I'll still take out my notebook that I wrote in back in 2001 or so.

    I was broke, single, living with a bunch of dudes in Maine, and was NOT happy where I was.

    So, in my notebook, I wrote at the top of each page all of the main goals I wanted to achieve.

    At the top of one page would say "In 5 years, I'll have my own million dollar business"

    At the top of another "In 5 years, I will have competed and won a bodybuilding show"

    "In 5 years, I will be married to the woman of my dreams"

    "in 5 years, i will have bought a house"

    etc....

    I wrote all of my main goals... and THEN also the steps I thought I'd need to take.

    Well, a lot less than 5 years later, I had a business that was making more than 7 figures a year, I had a beautiful wife, a house I paid cash for, I had won a bodybuilding show, etc....

    All of the things I had listed out on paper, 5 years earlier, I had achieved. Some I achieved in 2 years or less.

    And it wasn't from affirmations... it was from thoughts I had, that I then put into real life by creating action steps... which I took massive action on each day.

    Micheal, good post, I love your attitude, and combine that positive energy with massive action and you will go very far, my friend.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8481966].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ragnartm
      Originally Posted by shawnlebrun View Post

      Over time, I realized the REAL magic happened when you combined affirmations with massive action towards the goals you want.
      I think this best summarizes the effect positive affirmations can have. If you're already confident in you work, situation, daily life etc... you might not need them and even feel a sense of disbelief towards the whole concept. But if you are a hard, and smart, worker, only you lack confidence in what you are doing, positive affirmations can help you change that self-sabotaging mindset.

      I was a terrible salesman because I lacked confidence, when I used positive affirmation, along with some other "mumbo jumbo techniques"(some of the people in this post would call them) my sales went up by 300%. I ended up quitting the job because it didn't feel right to me, but hey it still proves a point. You can chalk it up to placebo effect if you want, still doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

      So like I said, it's not everyone's cup of tea. It's not about only reciting and waiting for magic to happen. And I definitely agree with Shawn. When you set an actual deadline, it can be easier to piece together actual steps to take towards actualizing your goals. Although for me I'm still mid journey, not really close to the finish line yet. Motivating stuff there man, thanks for sharing.
      Signature

      Ragnar.

      Quality over quantity. Hire me to write highly shareable, user focused blog posts or articles.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8482083].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Bob Teller
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Michael De La Nuez View Post

        I believe that it is possible to achieve whatever you want by using positive affirmations...
        More mumbo jumbo.

        About as much use as an ejector seat in a helicopter.

        Just what we need.

        Next, we'll all be sitting in a circle holding hands
        round a campfire singing Kumbaya like a bunch
        of queers.


        - Bob Teller
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8482504].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ross Bowring
      Originally Posted by shawnlebrun View Post

      Back when I was a real estate agent in the late 90's... I listened to "The Psychology of Sales" by Brian Tracy.

      In there, was a section on affirmations... where Brian told you to repeatedly tell yourself "I think I can, I think I can.... I'm great, I'm the best", etc...

      Well, being a new realtor, I'd go into a listing presentation unprepared and only relying on my affirmations.

      Of course, I'd get my proverbial "ass handed to me".... and leave without the listing.

      so, I'd go back to my car, put in my affirmations tape, and listen to them and repeat them again.

      Over time, I realized the REAL magic happened when you combined affirmations with massive action towards the goals you want.

      In other words, instead of just reciting affirmations... recite one of them and take a step towards making it happen. Put in tangible, real world action steps and effort.

      Instead of copywriters mumbling "I am a great copywriter" and leaving it as that... tell yourself that, and then go out and find some of the best ads and deconstruct them, or write them out in your own handwriting, or some kind of actual action.

      THAT is where most people miss the mark, is they simply think that saying affirmations... or using the law of attraction... will just bring shit to them.

      Nope, you gotta follow through with massive action towards that goal. Like... real action steps each and every day TOWARDS what you want. Sure, you can "say" the affirmation... but then go out and put boots to pavement.

      Michael, I totally agree that success begins in the mind... its your mindset that matters most.

      But, where it goes to the next level is taking that mindset and putting action steps and real steps into place.

      Michael, have you read "The Science of Getting Rich" by Wallace Wattles yet?

      I recommend it if you haven't.

      Basically, it talks about how success in anything first starts in your mind, with a thought... and from there, you can create what you think about, if you take action.

      You've got to do things in a certain way... and take certain steps... but like you're pointing out, it all starts in the mind.

      What you think about.... you become. And what you think about, you can create... from nothing.

      Much like an artist's next painting first begins in the mind, or a sculpture's next piece begins in the mind... so does all of success.

      You first think... and then you do.

      So, to me, when I dropped affirmations and started using more "thought plus action equals goals" thinking... my life changed.

      To this day, I'll still take out my notebook that I wrote in back in 2001 or so.

      I was broke, single, living with a bunch of dudes in Maine, and was NOT happy where I was.

      So, in my notebook, I wrote at the top of each page all of the main goals I wanted to achieve.

      At the top of one page would say "In 5 years, I'll have my own million dollar business"

      At the top of another "In 5 years, I will have competed and won a bodybuilding show"

      "In 5 years, I will be married to the woman of my dreams"

      "in 5 years, i will have bought a house"

      etc....

      I wrote all of my main goals... and THEN also the steps I thought I'd need to take.

      Well, a lot less than 5 years later, I had a business that was making more than 7 figures a year, I had a beautiful wife, a house I paid cash for, I had won a bodybuilding show, etc....

      All of the things I had listed out on paper, 5 years earlier, I had achieved. Some I achieved in 2 years or less.

      And it wasn't from affirmations... it was from thoughts I had, that I then put into real life by creating action steps... which I took massive action on each day.

      Micheal, good post, I love your attitude, and combine that positive energy with massive action and you will go very far, my friend.
      I would add to this, Grant Cardone's 10X rule. He don't mess around with his message and it's very powerful stuff. Buy the audio, unlike many authors he really brings it alive.

      I have nothing against positive self-talk, it's essential. However, it's masturbatory on it's own. The only way to make good stuff happen is to get uncomfortable with the amount of action you are taking. Gotta go big and not be afraid to offend, not with words, but with your level of quality-action. You want other people to look at what you're doing and have them try to convince you to do LESS because it makes them feel better in their LACK of effort. When that's happening, when you're getting pushback, that's when you know you're on the right track.

      Anyway, Grant Cardone says it better than I ever could, so buy his book or listen to his audo. There's truth in them there pages/CD's.

      --- Ross
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8482726].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mr. Subtle
        Originally Posted by Ross Bowring View Post

        I would add to this, Grant Cardone's 10X rule. He don't mess around with his message and it's very powerful stuff. Buy the audio, unlike many authors he really brings it alive.
        I agree about the Cardone audio (and I'm a book guy, but in this case pass on the book and get the audio). His voice kind of reminds me of a Marine Corps DI. Cardone is NOT into affirmations... just massive action, hence the title of his book/audio.

        If it takes a few affirmations to get you going every day fine, but don't become a SECRETron and believe by wishing, somehow the universe is going to answer your wishes and give you everything you desire. If that's what you're thinking, then you need Cardone's audio to kick you in the ass.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8482854].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
          Originally Posted by Mr. Subtle View Post

          Cardone is NOT into affirmations... just massive action, hence the title of his book/audio.

          If it takes a few affirmations to get you going every day fine, but don't become a SECRETron and believe by wishing, somehow the universe is going to answer your wishes and give you everything you desire. If that's what you're thinking, then you need Cardone's audio to kick you in the ass.
          Where the hell are y'all getting the idea that people who are into affirmations don't take massive action?

          Sure, there are people who sit on their couch - thinking happy thoughts - hoping some obscure Universe will grant their wishes.

          But that's not what affirmations are really about.

          I always say:

          It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

          I'll keep this really simple.

          If I sit down to write copy and I'm not feeling confident about my abilities, I'll likely flub around and produce a big, steaming pile of sh!t.

          Sure, I can work through it, but if I can attune my mindset (or attitude) to feel confident by deliberately directing my thoughts that build confidence...

          ...then sit down to write...

          I'll be even more productive and more effective in a fraction of the time.

          I'm still taking action.

          I'm just doing it better.

          Is there a deeper, "unseen" value in affirmations? Yup. But I'd personally rather just live "that reality," than try to convince anyone here about it.

          Mark

          P.S. Wow. Just wow.

          P.P.S. Learn about physiology. When you understand HOW and WHY your attention only sees certain things, it'll change your attitude in a hurry. Read "Changing the Habit of Being You" by Joe Dispenza
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8482999].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Mr. Subtle
            Originally Posted by Mark Pescetti View Post

            Where the hell are y'all getting the idea that people who are into affirmations don't take massive action?
            Reading comprehension is fundamental. Try to work on that skill. I said "SECRETrons" don't take action (because it's not required).
            Signature

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8483087].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Mr. Subtle
            Originally Posted by Mark Pescetti View Post

            P.P.S. Learn about physiology. When you understand HOW and WHY your attention only sees certain things, it'll change your attitude in a hurry. Read "Changing the Habit of Being You" by Joe Dispenza
            No thanks, since he was involved in "What The Bleep Do We Know" I'll pass on him (and pseudoscience).
            Signature

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8483139].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author shawnlebrun
        Originally Posted by Ross Bowring View Post

        I would add to this, Grant Cardone's 10X rule. He don't mess around with his message and it's very powerful stuff. Buy the audio, unlike many authors he really brings it alive.

        I have nothing against positive self-talk, it's essential. However, it's masturbatory on it's own. The only way to make good stuff happen is to get uncomfortable with the amount of action you are taking. Gotta go big and not be afraid to offend, not with words, but with your level of quality-action. You want other people to look at what you're doing and have them try to convince you to do LESS because it makes them feel better in their LACK of effort. When that's happening, when you're getting pushback, that's when you know you're on the right track.

        Anyway, Grant Cardone says it better than I ever could, so buy his book or listen to his audo. There's truth in them there pages/CD's.

        --- Ross
        Ross,

        Nice call on Grant Cardone... his 10X book was another one of those "wow" books I wanted to list on my earlier thread about good books.

        I came across Grant's stuff a few years back... after reading "The Closer's Survival" guide... and liked his no B.S. style.

        I also remember reading on Mark Cuban's blog... which is also worth reading... that his top keys to success was to simply try more, work harder, and fail more.

        I know in my business and life... the less I started over-analyzing things, and just taking informed action... and not just blatantly doing stupid shit for the sakes of doing something... that's when things started happening.

        You learn, immediately apply, test your results, and if it worked... keep at it... if it doesn't, try something else.

        And in the meantime, maybe you can use positive affirmations and positive thinking as the glue to hold it all together.

        For me, one of my rules is to test and try out something new each and every day... so that at the end of the year, I've tested out 365 new ideas/thoughts/projects.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8483339].message }}
  • Here is Cardone talking to auto dealers at the Digital Dealer conference about 10x:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGDawzarSq8

    Basically you'll need 10x more effort than you think. 10x more cold calls, 10x more trial closes, 10x more sales. Take Anthony Robbins' "massive action" and multiply it!

    He talks about goal-setting at the 34 minute mark. He:

    --Works on them and writes them down everyday.
    --Has goals that are unachievable in this lifetime.
    --Doesn't worry about achieving them. Never dates them. Example, he always wanted to buy rental real estate. He read when he was 25 years old that successful people own real estate. For many years he wrote down "I own 20-plus apartments with cash flow." Years later he bought almost $100 million in real estate in Florida.



    **************************

    Here he is speaking to a group of high school students.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEd6mlGya2g

    He's not quite there, but will in time be one of the best speakers out there.

    In the video he says:

    --How do you dominate? Massive activity.

    --There are two types of people. Those that get what they want and have the life that they want. And everybody else.

    --Make your goals so big your problems pale in comparison.

    --People say I have problems like being obsessive. That's not a problem. That's a gift.

    --You want giant goals so you are excited. If you don't have your own goals, you are going to spend your whole life making somebody else's dreams come true.


    --Constantly stay focused on the gap between where you are and where you want to be.

    I don't follow Cardone that closely, but the guy definitely takes action. As soon as he arrived in Florida after leaving LA last year, he spent almost $100 million on real estate purchases.

    (I'm not sure if it has anything to do with affirmations and belief, but Cardone is a big player in the Church of Scientology.)
    Signature
    Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
    - Jack Trout
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8483157].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ross Bowring
      Originally Posted by joe golfer View Post

      Here is Cardone talking to auto dealers at the Digital Dealer conference about 10x:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGDawzarSq8

      Basically you'll need 10x more effort than you think. 10x more cold calls, 10x more trial closes, 10x more sales. Take Anthony Robbins' "massive action" and multiply it!

      He talks about goal-setting at the 34 minute mark. He:

      --Works on them and writes them down everyday.
      --Has goals that are unachievable in this lifetime.
      --Doesn't worry about achieving them. Never dates them. Example, he always wanted to buy rental real estate. He read when he was 25 years old that successful people own real estate. For many years he wrote down "I own 20-plus apartments with cash flow." Years later he bought almost $100 million in real estate in Florida.



      **************************

      Here he is speaking to a group of high school students.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEd6mlGya2g

      He's not quite there, but will in time be one of the best speakers out there.

      In the video he says:

      --How do you dominate? Massive activity.

      --There are two types of people. Those that get what they want and have the life that they want. And everybody else.

      --Make your goals so big your problems pale in comparison.

      --People say I have problems like being obsessive. That's not a problem. That's a gift.

      --You want giant goals so you are excited. If you don't have your own goals, you are going to spend your whole life making somebody else's dreams come true.


      --Constantly stay focused on the gap between where you are and where you want to be.

      I don't follow Cardone that closely, but the guy definitely takes action. As soon as he arrived in Florida after leaving LA last year, he spent almost $100 million on real estate purchases.

      (I'm not sure if it has anything to do with affirmations and belief, but Cardone is a big player in the Church of Scientology.)
      If you want more Cardone I also listen to his "Cardone Zone" shows and he literally has over 1,000 videos on YouTube.

      My wife and I watched one of his conference presentations last night on the TV.

      She said, "What's this boring %&^$ you're watching, again..." because she is a potty-mouth opinionated Mama... but then she sat there and happily watched the whole thing with me. Another convert to 10X :-) Hopefully in our love life too.

      --- Ross
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8502004].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author shawnlebrun
        Originally Posted by Ross Bowring View Post

        If you want more Cardone I also listen to his "Cardone Zone" shows and he literally has over 1,000 videos on YouTube.

        My wife and I watched one of his conference presentations last night on the TV.

        She said, "What's this boring %&^$ you're watching, again..." because she is a potty-mouth opinionated Mama... but then she sat there and happily watched the whole thing with me. Another convert to 10X :-) Hopefully in our love life too.

        --- Ross
        Ross, your choice of TV-watching/foreplay was quite unconventional, I must say.

        But, if you're telling me you got 10 times the results... my wife and I will not longer watch Breaking Bad or Mad Men...

        The Cardone Zone and a box of wine is in my near future...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8502836].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Ross Bowring
          Originally Posted by shawnlebrun View Post

          Ross, your choice of TV-watching/foreplay was quite unconventional, I must say.

          But, if you're telling me you got 10 times the results... my wife and I will not longer watch Breaking Bad or Mad Men...

          The Cardone Zone and a box of wine is in my near future...
          Not enough of a sample yet to confirm any test results. But let's just say initial results show little promise...

          --- Ross
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8503032].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author pos
            Hi,
            it's very good post with suggested affirmations for copywriters.

            In fact, for best possible result I suggest to use as simple as possible affirmations, like this few:

            I AM AN AMAZING COPYWRITER.
            I ENJOY CREATING NEW COPY.
            I LIVE A CREATIVE LIFE.

            and to use subliminal messages software that will blink it very fast on your computer screen.

            I am using subliminal messages software and I see positive benefits in my life.

            The only free tool that I found that can blink subliminal messages is this one: Subliminal Messages - Free Software | Mind of a Winner
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8929830].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CopyMonster
    Everyone here is right. What?

    For the most part, you get what you expect. When you expect something not to work, good chance it won't.

    When you expect something to work, it's more likely to work than if your expectations are flipped to the negative.

    Affirmations as I see them, can be seen as a reminder, as a way to "set" mindset. They alone do not make things magically appear. You still have to move butt. No matter how much affirming, you won't win the gold medal until you do the work.

    Of course I don't expect everyone to agree with this. Am I right?

    From a copy perspective why was the One Legged Golfer and it's ilk are such a powerful headline structure? It's the slap across your expectations, the juxtaposition, the unexpected-ness of the mental picture. It's when something that doesn't match your expectations you tend to pay more attention. No?
    Signature
    Scary good...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8483277].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
      Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

      "You get what you affirm."

      "You get what you expect."

      Nonsense.

      Alex
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8483340].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author CopyMonster
        Originally Posted by Alex Cohen View Post

        Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

        "You get what you affirm."

        "You get what you expect."

        Nonsense.

        Alex
        As expected.
        Signature
        Scary good...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8483384].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author shawnlebrun
        Originally Posted by Alex Cohen View Post

        Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

        "You get what you affirm."

        "You get what you expect."

        Nonsense.

        Alex
        Alex,

        I guess it's along the same lines as the Law of Attraction stuff?

        You've got one school of thought that says it's a miracle and a way to bring everything you want into your life.

        The other school says it's a crock of shit designed to sucker you into buying their books/CDs/ seminars, etc....

        Honestly, I guess "to each his own" and whatever works.

        But if you think just using the Law of Attraction is going to magically bring you a new car... you've been drinking too much of the Kool-Aid.

        I do think there's something to it... and it's this, in my opinion.

        First, you think about something. Everything starts with a thought.

        What you conceive and believe... you can achieve... IF you work your ass off.

        Then, if you want it, you hold onto that thought... and then take massive action until that thought becomes reality.

        for me, I just follow that and make it no harder or easier.

        I don't kid myself into thinking that saying affirmations are going to help me get something... I know it still takes effort and action... and a lot of it.

        But again, I guess that's why I said earlier that maybe some use affirmations as a way to stay positive, I don't know.

        But give me a person with a plan and unstoppable motivation and the willingness to do whatever it takes to succeed... that will trump affirmations every day.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8483404].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Hill
    A quote from Henry Ford comes to mind:

    "If you think you can, or if you think you can't, either way, you're right."

    Affirmations in themselves accomplish nothing. However, for someone that is taking action, they can help maintain a positive mindset and also define goals that can then be broken down into smaller achievable steps.

    Again from Henry Ford, we have:

    "Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs."

    I have also read that affirmations can behave like storytelling's open loops, leaving an open desire that is not complete until the objective is complete. It's still going to take action, though. To borrow one more quote from Henry Ford:

    "You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."

    So sitting on the couch wishing one's ass off isn't going to get anywhere... but that's just common sense.
    Signature
    Learn more - earn more: Books for Copywriters
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8483941].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Just a few thoughts;

      Grant Cardone's "affirmations" are entirely different than the OPs. Different purpose, different appeal. I don't see a similarity.

      Many authors (Me included) use affirmations in books to ;
      1) pad the book
      2) appeal to a more generic audience.

      Many many affirmations we read from business giants were written as though they came from the CEO...but they actually were written by a copywriter.

      I know that must come as a shock.

      And while I've never seen affirmations, like those in the OP...produce results, I do have a short list of quotations that motivate me...although only for a few seconds.

      I was expecting to see copywriters be a more critical and rational bunch. That's pretty much what I see here.

      I honestly never thought affirmations would appeal to this crowd.
      I thought the thread headline was a clever way to suck readers in to read about sarcastic "Copywriting affirmations" like;

      "Writing is easy. I sit in front of my PC, staring..until my eyes bleed"
      Something like that.

      Anyway, Hello everyone.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      Terence Fletcher: "There are no two words in the English language more harmful than Good Job." Whiplash.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8484107].message }}
  • I think if affirmations work for you then use them. Heck, if reciting Eskimo poetry works, use that.

    From a research standpoint, though, there isn't much evidence positive affirmations work that well. People with high self-esteem see a slight bump, but people with low self-esteem actually perform worse.

    Several psychologists recommend a different approach--acknowledging fears and negative thoughts. Letting them in without getting wrapped up in them, simply being "mindful," allows you to handle them better. Whereas if you avoid negative thoughts, you end up intensifying them.

    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...s-work-revisit
    Signature
    Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
    - Jack Trout
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8484285].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    Originally Posted by Michael De La Nuez View Post

    I AM ALWAYS PRESENT AND IN THE MOMENT.

    I AM OPEN TO RECEIVING SUCCESS AS A COPYWRITER.

    I AM CAPABLE AND PREPARED FOR EVERY PROJECT THAT COMES MY WAY.

    I AM AN AMAZING COPYWRITER.

    I ENJOY CREATING NEW COPY.

    I AM GRATEFUL FOR EVERY COPYWRITING PROJECT THAT COMES MY WAY.

    I EFFORTLESSLY ATTRACT CREATIVITY.
    The more I think about it, the more I see that I'm doing these things unconsciously. Personally, I wouldn't use the affirmations posted, because it's simply not the way I talk, even to myself.

    But I have goals. And they are serious. I didn't need to write them down and look at them every day, because they were buried deep into my daily life.

    For years, my income goal was $1,000 a week (in home sales decades ago). If I didn't make the goal, I hustled and made it the next week, including anything I had to make up from the week before.

    But I never thought of it as an affirmation.

    When going in to make a sale. There are always two overriding thoughts in the back of my mind. "Everyone buys" and "You're next". I don't think these are affirmations, but it may be the same idea.

    I don't know about you, but I talk out loud when I'm driving alone, rehearsing sales arguments, perfecting a sentence for impact, that sort of thing.

    These are things I don't necessarily recommend to others, but they work for me, and I see tangible results.

    I'm not a touchy feely "feel good about yourself and people will love you" kind of guy. But if you use affirmations, and they fit your mental make up, then go for it.

    Whatever works. For me? A mortgage and a deadline do the trick.
    Signature
    One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

    Terence Fletcher: "There are no two words in the English language more harmful than Good Job." Whiplash.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8486692].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JonMills
    Add another one to that.

    I laughed when they told me their budget
    Signature
    http://www.thecopywriterwhisperer.com/ Persuasion at it's best!
    http://www.affiliateorganizer.com/ Organize your entire online business - Super affiliates give it the thumbs up!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8930240].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ThomasOMalley
    Everyone has a different opinion when you start getting into the personal development/self-help area.

    The answer is simple: do what works for you and don't let anyone discourage you from doing it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8935455].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author davemiz
    lol... all the affirmations in the world aren't gonna help you write better copy.

    like Ross said... HUSTLE.

    if you're lucky our man Harlan can chip in... i'm sure he'll set it straight :-)
    Signature

    “Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.”
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8935600].message }}

Trending Topics