A video sales letter is better than a regular old sales letter right???

36 replies
A video sales letter is better than a regular old sales letter right??? In terms of converting more? And should the regular sales letter be placed under the video, or a condensed version of it, so that people can read it if they want (or need to) instead of watching and listening?

I heard the drawing thing is the highest converting for sales videos? but is that easy to do?:rolleyes:
#letter #regular #sales #video
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by aceshigh888 View Post

    A video sales letter is better than a regular old sales letter right???
    There isn't a single "right answer" to this question.

    It depends on many variables (of which "the traffic demographics", in their broadest sense, are probably always the most important one, but even just "the niche itself" can be relevant, too!). For that reason, your only positive, most constructive answer to the question you're asking can come from your own testing.

    My niche, traffic-collection, traffic-retention and targeted demographics may be all different from yours, so there's a limit to the extent that my own answer (i.e. for my own business) might be relevant to you ... and it might even be a low limit, but for myself, a video sales letter regularly and reliably converts so much worse than a traditional, text one, that I'm simply no longer willing - in any niche - to send my traffic to one. My visitors, subscribers and customers (colectively, overall) hate video sales pages, and they say so whenever asked, and often even without being asked at all.

    Many threads like this one (word a careful read-through!) suggest that I'm far from alone there, but your traffic might be "all different" from mine: http://www.warriorforum.com/off-topi...o-content.html

    (Be aware - if this needs to be mentioned at all - that some members who post in such threads are themselves promoting video services to marketers and may therefore have a somewhat "incentivized perspective" of the subject. )

    Originally Posted by aceshigh888 View Post

    I heard the drawing thing is the highest converting for sales videos?
    That's not my own experience at all (though I admit they appear to have done me less damage than any other videos.)

    There are plenty of services, here and elsewhere, for getting professional ones made. The prices vary dramatically and I recommend doing a lot of research first, if you really do want to test one. The trap to try to avoid, I'd suggest, is feeling "I've spent so much time/money on this that I'm determined to use it now" (which I've certainly heard several times!): it's important to test objectively.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8685620].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dewayneboyd
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      There isn't a single "right answer" to this question.

      It depends on many variables (of which "the traffic demographics", in their broadest sense, are probably always the most important one, but even just "the niche itself" can be relevant, too!). For that reason, your only positive, most constructive answer to the question you're asking can come from your own testing.

      My niche, traffic-collection, traffic-retention and targeted demographics may be all different from yours, so there's a limit to the extent that my own answer (i.e. for my own business) might be relevant to you ... and it might even be a low limit, but for myself, a video sales letter regularly and reliably converts so much worse than a traditional, text one, that I'm simply no longer willing - in any niche - to send my traffic to one. My visitors, subscribers and customers (colectively, overall) hate video sales pages, and they say so whenever asked, and often even without being asked at all.

      Many threads like this one (word a careful read-through!) suggest that I'm far from alone there, but your traffic might be "all different" from mine: http://www.warriorforum.com/off-topi...o-content.html

      (Be aware - if this needs to be mentioned at all - that some members who post in such threads are themselves promoting video services to marketers and may therefore have a somewhat "incentivized perspective" of the subject. )



      That's not my own experience at all (though I admit they appear to have done me less damage than any other videos.)

      There are plenty of services, here and elsewhere, for getting professional ones made. The prices vary dramatically and I recommend doing a lot of research first, if you really do want to test one. The trap to try to avoid, I'd suggest, is feeling "I've spent so much time/money on this that I'm determined to use it now" (which I've certainly heard several times!): it's important to test objectively.
      Sales letters with no text completely piss me off. It's disrespectful of the customers' time constraints. If it has text with it, then I don't care cause it's up to me whether to watch the video. I now have a choice.
      Signature

      1,574,810 unique visitors and counting. And that's just one of my websites.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8775765].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Franklin
    The "whiteboard" videos do convert well. Fortunately, there are people on here and other forums that will do these for you. Start with Warriors For Hire.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8685626].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author aceshigh888
      Originally Posted by Michael Franklin View Post

      The "whiteboard" videos do convert well. Fortunately, there are people on here and other forums that will do these for you. Start with Warriors For Hire.
      I could probably draw my own videos, as I know how to draw reasonably well. Just figuring out how to do it so that it looks good. I suppose that would come way later after I get a working sales letter going.
      Signature
      EXERCISE: Take a deep breath, hold for 10 seconds, release. ..... There see you feel better now???
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8685658].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author visimedia
    There are actually some strategies about it..
    Some say : less is more , means the less you give upfront the better the conversion..
    Some other say: they love the longer type of squeeze page with not only video but also some bullet points and explanation..

    I personally have tried both, and both are converting good.
    Signature

    digital startup looking for partners in China, Taiwan, HK, Korea & Japan. PM me

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8685633].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    It's rare for me to sit still (unless I'm familiar with the producer) for a video of any type, let alone a sales pitch. Same goes for content. If someone is selling information and the only format is video I won't buy it.

    Take a look at how many people feel about video: http://www.warriorforum.com/off-topi...o-content.html

    EDIT: I should have known Lexy would have this covered. :p
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8685699].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Shook
      A lot of video sales letter products have been sold here and elsewhere and all those product creators have a great deal of incentive to promote those as being valuable.

      And they might be.

      The drawing type of video is a fad that I suspect has pretty much run its course. Lots of these ideas start in the IM or MMO markets and when you see them in other markets, selling non-IM products, that generally the trend is dying. That, coupled with the inevitable cheaper knock-off products are pretty goo indications that what ever it is has outlived its fad popularity. That's not always the case, but in trending type ideas, it is often that way.

      If you don't have any sales letter at all, put up a written one and see if anyone wants what you are selling. Then if they do, try a video and see what happens.
      Signature


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8685787].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ahlexis
        What do I call video sales pages that start automatically and have no controls on the bottom to pause, stop, fast forward or rewind them?

        Bandwidth thieves!

        This is what I usually end up mumbling under my breath as I hit the browser "stop" button when I get to a page that auto-starts, then close the window while shaking my head.

        And I'm probably not the only one with that outlook.

        I mean, I don't have cable internet because due to really lousy service and an even uglier customer service response I fired Comcast almost three years ago. So my only internet is through my cell phone provider via hotspot or the free wi-fi in the local neighborhood coffee and other shops. Due to timing of my sign-up it doesn't cost that much but that's only on one of the two cell internet providers I have. Verizon is not giving away bandwidth to many people out here, they're charging for it by the gigabyte.

        Do you really think someone is going to buy anything from you when their first impression of you is that you are a thief?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8685909].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
          ahlexis, I'm on a good DSL connection with a flat rate, but I find that people who send me to videos that autostart, have no controls and no indication of length are attempting a much more heinous heist. They are trying to steal a piece of my life.

          I, too, combat the thieves by stopping the download and hitting the back button.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8686101].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
          Originally Posted by ahlexis View Post

          I don't have cable internet because due to really lousy service and an even uglier customer service response I fired Comcast almost three years ago. So my only internet is through my cell phone provider via hotspot or the free wi-fi in the local neighborhood coffee and other shops.
          You sure showed them! LOL

          Alex
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8777315].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Originally Posted by aceshigh888 View Post

    A video sales letter is better than a regular old sales letter right???
    Not necessarily. A lot of factors go into play. I personally can't tolerate 10 minutes of hearing a dude pitch me about his product in a video. I'd rather get straight to the point... and then some videos dont even have the scrolling feature that lets you jump from one time interval to another.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8685814].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author honestim
      Hi

      Testing is the key for sure as many have pointed out before this post. But from experience I can tell you videos do work. But then again it's not about video working, it's more about the level of engagement that the video provides to keep the visitor glued to your message.

      Cheers
      HonestIM
      Signature
      Get Custom Animation Explainer Videos starting at $29 per minute
      http://www.warriorforum.com/warriors...deos-10-a.html
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8685883].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aceshigh888
    Ya controls are good. But I think there's something to it because all the clickbank top sellers use video now.
    Signature
    EXERCISE: Take a deep breath, hold for 10 seconds, release. ..... There see you feel better now???
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8688463].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author samjaynz
    I've never seen a video sales letter worth watching. Every single one of them has been so over-hyped, irritating (especially the whiteboard VSLs) and spammy that I just click away... and then get hit by an equally annoying popup.
    Signature
    Sick of over-hyped, dishonest product and course reviews? Check out Reviews Boss for detailed, ethical reviews of leading IM courses, SEO software, web marketing SaaS and more.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8688477].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 0oo0
    No, they do.

    Test upon test proves this, everyone denying it is either unsuccessful.too poor, too lazy, lacking skills or in denial.

    sorry not sorry.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8775465].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author agmccall
      I think it depends on the video.

      If the video is someone blabbing on and on about how they went from living on the street to living in a million dollar home without any idea as to what they are selling, then no it won't work

      If the video is a screen shot of the system with the cursor moving around while crap canned music plays, then no it won;t work

      If, on the other hand, the video is actually informative and details what you are buying with maybe some screenshots of how it works and maybe even an example then yes it will work.

      Weather it is a video sales/squeeze page or a standard sales/squeeze page, it is the content and the implementation that creates conversions and signups

      al
      Signature

      Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me?
      ~Jack Handey~

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8775521].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author 0oo0
      Originally Posted by 0oo0 View Post

      No, they do.

      Test upon test proves this, everyone denying it is either unsuccessful.too poor, too lazy, lacking skills or in denial.

      sorry not sorry.
      Sorry let me correct this statement, good copy converts. And good copy in video format converts the best.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8775608].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    Generally, if someone comes from viewing a video, such as from Youtube, give them a video sales "letter". If they come from a text article, email, blog post, etc, give them a text sales letter.

    Again, these are generalities but are good starting points.
    Signature
    Serious about Print on Demand? Discover how YOU can join my FREE exclusive secret alliance
    Plus how to get my Print on Demand Treasure Maps for FREE
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8775537].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cjhoude
    In my experience, this isn't always true but it's a hell of a lot easier to get a handful of sales with a half decent conversational video sales letter than a half-assed sales letter.

    The difference between a sales letter that gets sales and one that doesn't is often less than one would think. It's very easy to mess up a long sales letter. Whereas a short video can be done over again and again until you find something that works. To say that sales are a fragile thing would be an understatement.

    Having said that, I think it's kind of a false choice because the first step to creating a video sales letter is quite often to write up a good sales letter in the first place. You can call it a script. You can call it whatever you want but video is just a delivery method for a message.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8775882].message }}
  • If the "product" is good, hopefully great and ideally brilliant.

    And there is no earthly point in promoting if it isn't.

    Why hope that the good people will watch a video.

    When you can just tell them.

    In print.


    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8776408].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cool Hand Luke
      Any marketer who cares about results and $$$ rather than opinions would be doing themselves a HUGE favor to ignore just about every post in this thread.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8776776].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sean Fry
        double post
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8793461].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sean Fry
        Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post

        Any marketer who cares about results and $$$ rather than opinions would be doing themselves a HUGE favor to ignore just about every post in this thread.
        Seriously. I can't believe what I'm reading. Especially the guy calling videos that autoplay "bandwidth thieves." Is this guy accessing the internet from a tin can?

        Question: Are you guys marketers? If you consider yourself one, you need to stop thinking about what you like and start thinking about what works. It doesn't matter that you "hate video" or think your time is "precious" or that it "annoys you when you can't skip forward."

        These things are in place because they work.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8793466].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Marvin Johnston
          Originally Posted by Sean Fry View Post

          Seriously. I can't believe what I'm reading. Especially the guy calling videos that autoplay "bandwidth thieves." Is this guy accessing the internet from a tin can?

          Question: Are you guys marketers? If you consider yourself one, you need to stop thinking about what you like and start thinking about what works. It doesn't matter that you "hate video" or think your time is "precious" or that it "annoys you when you can't skip forward."

          These things are in place because they work.
          Telemarketing cold calls work too (so I am told), but it is also a VERY disrespectful method of finding marks.

          Marvin

          P.S. - The disrespectful term "marks" was used deliberately.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8794307].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Sean Fry
            Originally Posted by Marvin Johnston View Post

            Telemarketing cold calls work too (so I am told), but it is also a VERY disrespectful method of finding marks.

            Marvin

            P.S. - The disrespectful term "marks" was used deliberately.
            Here's the difference: No one ever asks to be called by a telemarketer. They just call you and interrupt you. People voluntarily click on links that lead to videos, and people voluntarily watch a video. If someone doesn't want to watch a video, there's something called the "back" button on every browser.

            P.S. Telemarketing doesn't really work very well anymore.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8795641].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Marvin Johnston
              Originally Posted by Sean Fry View Post

              Here's the difference: No one ever asks to be called by a telemarketer. They just call you and interrupt you. People voluntarily click on links that lead to videos, and people voluntarily watch a video. If someone doesn't want to watch a video, there's something called the "back" button on every browser.

              P.S. Telemarketing doesn't really work very well anymore.
              We agree on all of your points.

              The problem that arises is when too many people start putting out blind video sales letter with no idea given of how long it will last... or if the content is worth the unknown amount of time it takes to watch it.

              A bigger problem arises when (clueless) newbies see sales videos being done with no understanding of the what or why on how it was done. And then try to duplicate them.

              I have a lot of trouble understanding how these problems won't give all blind sales videos a bad name... just like telemarketing .

              Marvin
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8795661].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brandgineering
    Loaded question.

    First, assuming that a single video does well is not (normally) true. That is a crutch.

    The goal will have been to build your credibility long before the sales page. By the time people get to my landing or sales pages they have a level of trust. To me, your question says "I want a get rich quick solution."

    My company produces hundreds of high traction videos each month. I get organic first page rankings on YouTube in hours or days. I guarantee that to my customers. We produce a lot of high quality content that builds trust.

    White board videos or other explainer videos are gimmicks. People are so numb to them that they no longer really pay much attention. It has been duplicated so many times people tune out. I refuse to watch them.

    One video is not a solution. Creating videos that get instant trust - notice that I said VIDEOS - multiple videos over time that get trust. I have other techniques I use with video to draw people in, but not on some scheme with a pitchy video.

    Have you people no idea how sales are made? Do you know the statistics on what sells overall? Do you know why most salespersons in a store make a sale? And you think it is different on the Internet? - It has not, human nature has not changed in thousands of years.

    The question is not does a single sales page video work, but is your overall strategy building the kind of trust that creates a customer.

    Home runs do not win baseball games, base hits do.
    Signature

    Carl Hartman, CEO Brandgineering | Leaders in Video Marketing and Strategy | Best-Selling Author of Brand.gineering (a workbook & guide to brand strategy in the digital age) | www.brandgineering.org

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8792980].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joan Altz
    People in this thread are very print-centric, but they are giving their own opinions of what they like and don't like. Of course, most of us who have been in this thing called Internet Marketing don't personally like being pitched to by an automatic playing, non-ending video...but that's us.

    I agree fully with Sean Fry that it really doesn't matter about what we like....if it works to convert the targeted traffic, then it works, period, and it would be foolish to discount using video from having a personal distaste for it.

    (But if your target market includes these guys, watch out!)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8795674].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author enger
      As a general rule, a VSL only page converts better for cold traffic. A hybrid page with a VSL at top and condensed sales letter version at the bottom converts better for warm traffic (ie. your customer list). But that is just a general rule. Every market is different so it's best to test both... In terms of writing a VSL, it also good practice to include a preview (ie. in this time limited video, I will reveal how I... You will also discover... Etc) somewhere in the first few paragraphs.

      Best of luck with it mate.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8798366].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rollingse
    I am not a seasoned copywriter.....but, It would seem that no matter what media you chose to deliver your offer, the copy has to be solid. Every single word that comes ourt of your mouth should have a purpose. No different than a sales letter.

    I would also think that whoever is delivering the message should understand body language and mannerisms. I don't care how good the copy is, if you sound like your reading a dictionary without any type of animation, it's not going to convert well.

    For example - Info Marketing Pyramid

    This is Robert Skrob. Print out the "copywriting checklist" in the sticky at the top of this forum. Follow the video and check off each element in the check list. It's all there.
    Also look at his mannerisms. This was very well written, his voice inflection is on point and his mannerisms are great.

    I personally like video from consumer perspective, but it would seem to require a lot of research and effort.

    But none of my rambling is based on experience, but my opinion based on watching as many VSLs of info marketing gurus and asking myself "why" did he or she say that?

    I plan to split test a VSL with the identical copy in a PDF format. I'll post results in the next few weeks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8798688].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Master Revan
      I don't see anything wrong with good old fashioned text sales copy. Pleasing fonts and the right message has always converted great for me.

      Videos are nifty but it really depends on who's speaking. I personally don't like videos because there are too many factors that can cause issues such as internet speed, video quality, audio quality, volume, tone and presentation of the speaker, appearance of the speaker, annoying or redundant mannerisms, all kinds of things.

      I understand the need to be cutting edge but I'm sure there are some in this forum who have been browsing in the middle of the night next to a sleeping spouse when a video sales letter starts abruptly at about 80 decibels.

      If anything I think video content is a supplement to compelling text copy, not necessarily a replacement.
      Signature

      Comprehensive and often entertaining reviews of internet business and online investing opportunities. http://www.internetbusinessreviews.org

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8802573].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Cool Hand Luke
        Originally Posted by Master Revan View Post

        I don't see anything wrong with good old fashioned text sales copy. Pleasing fonts and the right message has always converted great for me.

        Videos are nifty but it really depends on who's speaking. I personally don't like videos because there are too many factors that can cause issues such as internet speed, video quality, audio quality, volume, tone and presentation of the speaker, appearance of the speaker, annoying or redundant mannerisms, all kinds of things.

        I understand the need to be cutting edge but I'm sure there are some in this forum who have been browsing in the middle of the night next to a sleeping spouse when a video sales letter starts abruptly at about 80 decibels.

        If anything I think video content is a supplement to compelling text copy, not necessarily a replacement.
        Just like most everyone else in this thread, you're missing the point entirely.

        Your opinion does NOT matter. At all. No one's does.

        TESTING is all that matters. The reason there are so many VSLs doing well is because smart marketers TEST these things, and go with what converts best. WHen video out-converts text, you go with video.

        This is really, really, really simple stuff and I don't get why so many people can't seem to figure it out.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8802957].message }}
  • I've been anti video since radio.

    It's not that I don't like them - it's just with a gun to my head, or a knife to my throat - a message to get across and cash to make.

    I've got to write it down. So I know the target audience can see it.


    With the pressure off and money in the bank...

    It's time to test.

    I've tested VSL's v SL's and SL's v VSL's

    IF the product isn't a hyped one - there seems to be little difference (I've never written for a hyped product because I would de-hype it and probably upset the owners).

    Anyway in my experience with "tamer" but still emotionally charged products and services.

    Sometimes VSL's win.

    Sometimes SL's win.

    Having said that a short VSL (usually with the owner speaking to the audience) followed by a sales pitch tends to work the best.

    But as always you've got to test.


    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8803009].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post

      Just like most everyone else in this thread, you're missing the point entirely.

      Your opinion does NOT matter. At all. No one's does.

      TESTING is all that matters. The reason there are so many VSLs doing well is because smart marketers TEST these things, and go with what converts best. WHen video out-converts text, you go with video.

      This is really, really, really simple stuff and I don't get why so many people can't seem to figure it out.
      Maybe you see a lot of VSLs is because "smart marketers TEST these things", but you see a lot more because ignorant and/or lazy marketers see so many of them and simply assume that a) the "smart marketers" have already tested them and b) the VSL they see is the winning control. Neither one is a sure thing.

      You might be watching one of the "monkey see, monkey do" marketers who vastly outnumber the smart ones, especially in the IM/MMO space. You might be watching one being tested by one of the smart ones, but watching the losing side of the test.

      You also may be watching something that works supremely well for that marketer's combination of traffic source, presell, and relationship with his/her audience. But for some unseen factor, will fail miserably for you if you simply copy it.

      I'm not picking on you, because you did eventually get it right - when video converts better FOR YOU, use video. Same for text, long or short.

      Test for yourself, and keep testing. The name of the game is "beat the control", not "try to guess which 'smart marketer' to ape."
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8806454].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Cool Hand Luke
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        Maybe you see a lot of VSLs is because "smart marketers TEST these things", but you see a lot more because ignorant and/or lazy marketers see so many of them and simply assume that a) the "smart marketers" have already tested them and b) the VSL they see is the winning control. Neither one is a sure thing.

        You might be watching one of the "monkey see, monkey do" marketers who vastly outnumber the smart ones, especially in the IM/MMO space. You might be watching one being tested by one of the smart ones, but watching the losing side of the test.

        You also may be watching something that works supremely well for that marketer's combination of traffic source, presell, and relationship with his/her audience. But for some unseen factor, will fail miserably for you if you simply copy it.

        I'm not picking on you, because you did eventually get it right - when video converts better FOR YOU, use video. Same for text, long or short.

        Test for yourself, and keep testing. The name of the game is "beat the control", not "try to guess which 'smart marketer' to ape."
        LOL no John, I had it right the whole time: Testing is what matters, which is what I said from the beginning.

        And I specifically said it's "why so many VSLs are doing well", not "Why [we] see so many VSLs overall" as you misinterpreted.

        You on the other hand, said this:
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        ahlexis, I'm on a good DSL connection with a flat rate, but I find that people who send me to videos that autostart, have no controls and no indication of length are attempting a much more heinous heist. They are trying to steal a piece of my life.

        I, too, combat the thieves by stopping the download and hitting the back button.
        You're exactly the type of poster perpetuating misinformation about VSLs, and trying to turn trivial details like a video player's controls into some major morality issue, while simultaneously attempting to label smart marketers as "thieves", and yourself as some valiant hero, all because you don't like a video that you can't pause (LOL!)... that's a laughably ridiculous viewpoint at best, and downright illogical and bizarre to rational-minded marketers.

        Remarks like yours are a major part of the reason this thread (and so many others on the forum) is so filled with TERRIBLE advice about VSLs..

        As I said earlier, if people care about results rather than opinions, they'd be smart to ignore most of the earlier posts ITT, yours included.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8807426].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
          Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post

          LOL no John, I had it right the whole time: Testing is what matters, which is what I said from the beginning.

          And I specifically said it's "why so many VSLs are doing well", not "Why [we] see so many VSLs overall" as you misinterpreted.
          No misinterpretation on my part, Luke. Quantify "so many". You're living on the flip side of the coin, assuming that because you see some VSLs that appear to be doing well, that there are "so many" without actually having access to any of those testing numbers you claim are so important. The truth is, you don't know how many are doing well and how many are failing.

          Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post

          You're exactly the type of poster perpetuating misinformation about VSLs, and trying to turn trivial details like a video player's controls into some major morality issue, while simultaneously attempting to label smart marketers as "thieves", and yourself as some valiant hero, all because you don't like a video that you can't pause (LOL!)... that's a laughably ridiculous viewpoint at best, and downright illogical and bizarre to rational-minded marketers.

          Remarks like yours are a major part of the reason this thread (and so many others on the forum) is so filled with TERRIBLE advice about VSLs..

          As I said earlier, if people care about results rather than opinions, they'd be smart to ignore most of the earlier posts ITT, yours included.
          No major morality issue here, in spite of your crusade. Show me where I claimed that anything in that snippet was anything other than my own personal opinion. I don't like them, so I don't watch them, hence, they don't work on me.

          As for things like video controls being "trivial details", if they're costing you sales, they aren't all that trivial, are they? The only way to know for sure if no controls works better FOR YOU is to test versions both with and without, using your traffic and your process. Then let the numbers tell you whether controls are indeed a "trivial detail."

          As for people caring caring about results ignoring me, take a good look in the mirror and see if you aren't doing exactly what you're accusing me and others who disagree with you of doing...

          Go back and read the end of my last post, where I said:
          I'm not picking on you, because you did eventually get it right - when video converts better FOR YOU, use video. Same for text, long or short.

          Test for yourself, and keep testing. The name of the game is "beat the control", not "try to guess which 'smart marketer' to ape."
          In plain English, if it works for you, use it. If it doesn't, don't use it just because some 'smart marketer' says it works.

          Does that sound like such bad advice?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8809174].message }}

Trending Topics