$1,000.00 a DAY with a Resume service...using copywriting skills.

by gjabiz
17 replies
$1,000.00 a DAY with a Resume service...using copywriting skills.

Maybe one of you will learn something. Sometimes I chuckle, sometimes sigh and most often just wonder...why??...any decent copywriter would have trouble finding clients.

I'm a BELIEVER...copywriting is salesmanship in print. I am a believer in salesmanship; that The Sale Begins When the Customer Says NO, Commissions Don't Fall from Heaven and that there are Tested Sentences That Sell.

I believe in the power of words, both spoken and written. I KNOW remote selling is much harder than face to face selling. I have been a student of using words for over 50 years now.

So you want to be a copywriter with clients, clients who pay well and on time and often??

Then think long and hard about this strategy I used when I was making $1,000.00 a day with my resume service.

I offered a full 100% refund if I couldn't find my client their IDEAL job in 90 days and have it offered to them AND I never gave a single refund. Why?

Because I thought of my clients as products and potential employers as prospects then APPLIED my copywriting skills to:

Get the prospect INTERESTED in what I was offering.
Help the prospect get more information, that is, by overcoming any OBJECTIONS or answering any questions (anticipated in my query {copy})...

I didn't use standard resumes, which are in my opinion a scam operation today...but I used copywriting to reach the right person who had the most interest in what I was offering.

Also, if my "product" had any dings or shortcomings, I helped them gain skills during the 90 days (for example, you can't be a graphics person without knowing how to use graphic programs, just too much competition, so a course or practice).

SO, for you:

Why not write out a "resuletter" which highlights your copywriting skills? But then you have to have identified a target, a market, a PERSON who is going to be looking at it once you send it.

Who is that person??????

Quit putting the cart before the horse, identify your market first...then create a PROMOTION with YOU as the product you are trying to sell. Can you do that? A decent copywriter could.

Until you get established, you are going to want to meet as many people as you can in the fields you want to write in. I know of 3 general copywriters, the other 97 are specialists. So, who and what do you want to write about?

Who is offering products or services in that arena? Now you have a LIST of prospects, potential clients. Then craft your resuletter, using your skills to MAKE them pick up the phone and talk to you, then be prepared to answer questions and/or overcome objections.

BINGO, you have some work. Rinse and repeat for about 2 years or so and wham, YOU'LL BE THE COPYWRITER... that gets called again and again and again!

OK?

gjabiz
#copywriting #day #resume #service…using #skills
  • Profile picture of the author wordwizard
    Originally Posted by gjabiz View Post

    $1,000.00 a DAY with a Resume service…using copywriting skills.

    [....]

    BINGO, you have some work. Rinse and repeat for about 2 years or so and wham, YOU’LL BE THE COPYWRITER… that gets called again and again and again!

    OK?

    gjabiz
    Some good advice here, but the ending was kind of funny...

    "repeat for 2 years or so and wham,..."

    "wham" suggests it's a fast acting technique, but "2 years" definitely does not qualify as fast in my book.
    Signature

    FREE Report: 5 Ways To Grow Your Affiliate Income

    Let Me Help You Sell: Sales Letters, Email Series, Pre-Sell Reports... PM me & we'll talk!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8707161].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gjabiz
      Originally Posted by wordwizard View Post

      Some good advice here, but the ending was kind of funny...

      "repeat for 2 years or so and wham,..."

      "wham" suggests it's a fast acting technique, but "2 years" definitely does not qualify as fast in my book.
      From a 53 year perspective, 2 years qualifies as super fast...ask any Senior citizen.

      But, seriously, you address one of my "issues"...time.

      Who can't remember 2 years ago? Some guys here who have been at this for that long and without results.

      Anyone can get a degree in 4 years, but how many copywriters here will or have put in the time to get their degree in copywriting and their diploma is steady work.

      Your perspective is, of course, right for you...but there is nothing, no governors, no restrictions and no speed bumps so please, go as fast as you can.

      The two years in my post shows perseverance... which many here do not demonstrate.

      Thanks for your comment.
      gjabiz

      PS. Another perspective: a lot less time than your original posting of the Business in a Box offer in your signature file for the last day sale to today. See? That went fast, eh?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8707197].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DailyGuard
        Nice story. What did you do before copywriting? I'm sure whatever it was it helped you here.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8707217].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author gjabiz
          Originally Posted by DailyGuard View Post

          Nice story. What did you do before copywriting? I'm sure whatever it was it helped you here.
          With the resume business? Yes, I was a county Job Developer and had contacted scores of businesses the years prior, so had a lot of contacts. BUT, the hard part was getting people to tell me what their IDEAL job would be...sort of like trying to find out what is the Ideal area for a new copywriter to thrive in might be...

          once the goal is perfected, then a backward chain of events leads you to the first step.

          As Harvey Brody says it, "To get to the roof top, you must have a step off rung, and then all the rungs below that until, at the bottom of the ladder, you have a clear view...of what you'll see once up there."

          Once a person went through a process which helped her identify her ideal, then it was just a matter of contacting, with superior writing strategies, as a copywriter...the correct TARGETS to find a match.

          Also everyone has some history to call upon in their current position/situation, it's just know what you want, and why you want it. Simple stuff. NOT!!!

          Thanks for your comments.

          gjabiz
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8707276].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Raymond Duke
            Nice post. I am working on a landing page for my site that offers this service.

            I have a question. Your 90 day guarantee says that you will get them the job. What if your resume gets them in the door, but they flop the interview? You did your part, right? You got them an interview... but you make a promise of getting them a job. My question has to do with the other factors that determine someone landing a job.

            You mention that you get people up to date with the necessary skills for a job. Does that include interviewing? Seems like a lot more work if that's the case. And if this is true, you are more than just a resume writer - you are a career coach.

            Thanks again for the post. Hoping to hear back from you soon.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8711478].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author gjabiz
              Originally Posted by Raymond Duke View Post


              I have a question. Your 90 day guarantee says that you will get them the job. What if your resume gets them in the door, but they flop the interview? You did your part, right? You got them an interview... but you make a promise of getting them a job. My question has to do with the other factors that determine someone landing a job.

              You mention that you get people up to date with the necessary skills for a job. Does that include interviewing? Seems like a lot more work if that's the case. And if this is true, you are more than just a resume writer - you are a career coach.

              Thanks again for the post. Hoping to hear back from you soon.
              Good questions.

              My post was about using copywriting skills to get people in the door for an interview for their IDEAL job. It is my opinion that is all that is needed for a successful resume. But, I'm going to answer your questions too, ok?

              First, most couldn't identify what they thought an IDEAL job would look like, so there was a track for helping them, mostly self contained workbooks, not much on my part. If they knew what they wanted and HAD the skills, then we offered an on camera INTERVIEW process, to get them thinking about how to answer.

              I charged 495 dollars, pretty expensive at the time, but far short of what a headhunter would charge for executives/professionals, which I mostly referred to other people.

              Their IDEAL job worksheet included things like salary requirements, distance from home (were they willing to commute to Cleveland from Akron sort of thing) and THEY really were in control of what they needed. So, I had upsells, downsells, cross sells and a wide variety of services which I could do or outsource.

              They paid up front, so if an OFFER was made according to their own agreed upon terms, then I fulfilled my part of the deal. There were a couple of times people refused the job offer, but the process took them to a better thing (in both cases, they started their own businesses and I was able to help with that also).

              I'm good at reading people, so I knew at the initial interview what I was up against, and knew when it was in both of our best interests, to NOT take them on as clients, so just sold them a resume or cover letter or whatever.

              It is a people business, and knowing and reading people is a skill that can be acquired with time and practice.

              Today, there is a whole sub strata of (OPINION) charlatans and magicians in the career/LIFE coaching fields.

              If you have any other questions, ask quickly, I'm about to go on Holiday, fair enough?

              gjabiz
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8712252].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Raymond Duke
                Originally Posted by gjabiz View Post

                Good questions.

                My post was about using copywriting skills to get people in the door for an interview for their IDEAL job. It is my opinion that is all that is needed for a successful resume. But, I'm going to answer your questions too, ok?

                First, most couldn't identify what they thought an IDEAL job would look like, so there was a track for helping them, mostly self contained workbooks, not much on my part. If they knew what they wanted and HAD the skills, then we offered an on camera INTERVIEW process, to get them thinking about how to answer.

                I charged 495 dollars, pretty expensive at the time, but far short of what a headhunter would charge for executives/professionals, which I mostly referred to other people.

                Their IDEAL job worksheet included things like salary requirements, distance from home (were they willing to commute to Cleveland from Akron sort of thing) and THEY really were in control of what they needed. So, I had upsells, downsells, cross sells and a wide variety of services which I could do or outsource.

                They paid up front, so if an OFFER was made according to their own agreed upon terms, then I fulfilled my part of the deal. There were a couple of times people refused the job offer, but the process took them to a better thing (in both cases, they started their own businesses and I was able to help with that also).

                I'm good at reading people, so I knew at the initial interview what I was up against, and knew when it was in both of our best interests, to NOT take them on as clients, so just sold them a resume or cover letter or whatever.

                It is a people business, and knowing and reading people is a skill that can be acquired with time and practice.

                Today, there is a whole sub strata of (OPINION) charlatans and magicians in the career/LIFE coaching fields.

                If you have any other questions, ask quickly, I'm about to go on Holiday, fair enough?

                gjabiz
                That's golden. Thank you so much for sharing. Enjoy your Holiday time off!
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8716930].message }}
        • DG,


          You evidently don't know who Gordon is or his past. When he posts, study his lesson(s). This is one of the Masters of the craft and his mentors were personal friends and colleagues that we only get to read about in books.










          Originally Posted by DailyGuard View Post

          Nice story. What did you do before copywriting? I'm sure whatever it was it helped you here.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8707710].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author max5ty
      Originally Posted by wordwizard View Post


      "repeat for 2 years or so and wham,..."

      "wham" suggests it's a fast acting technique, but "2 years" definitely does not qualify as fast in my book.
      Never correlated "wham" exclusively with fast...so I had to look it up. Actually means a forceful impact.

      As the OP says...2 years of doing his plan successfully would create a forceful impact on your career.

      Thanks for the post.

      Using your plan a step further would also be a good way to get local business connections and get your foot in their door.

      They have needs...you can broker solutions in the way of quality people or services. A back door approach to finding out what their needs are.

      I'm limited on time, but hopefully with some thought, the idea becomes clear.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8707225].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marvin Johnston
    Originally Posted by gjabiz View Post

    I offered a full 100% refund if I couldn't find my client their IDEAL job in 90 days and have it offered to them AND I never gave a single refund. Why?

    Because I thought of my clients as products and potential employers as prospects then APPLIED my copywriting skills to ...
    Fascinating approach! So two questions:

    How selective were you in choosing your "products"?

    I'm also very sure you did your "research" when interviewing prospective "products", so what did that research consist of? I'm thinking more along the lines of attitudes as opposed to skills.

    Marvin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8707755].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gjabiz
      Originally Posted by Marvin Johnston View Post

      Fascinating approach! So two questions:

      How selective were you in choosing your "products"?

      I'm also very sure you did your "research" when interviewing prospective "products", so what did that research consist of? I'm thinking more along the lines of attitudes as opposed to skills.

      Marvin
      Marvin, they chose themselves. The starting point was (is) what do you want to do? What is your ideal job?

      More than 80% couldn't answer question one...so how can anyone help them find their ideal job, if they didn't know what it is? Sort of like trying to help young copywriters decide what they want to write, most only want to make money...cause it is a fantastic biz-op, eh?

      And you are right about attitudes. I could quickly place someone with the "right" attitude, even educated people with advanced degrees were hard because of their attitude of entitlement...at one time, a degree WAS (and in some cases still is) a great advantage.

      But willingness to learn is more important.

      If they didn't know what they wanted, I had a program (Square One Workshops) which helped them find out. Some just wanted a resume, and that was a quick 10 minute deal.

      Also, it was more akin to a dating service, cause, the employer had to match up. Could be several opportunities, but the job seeker got "pushed" toward a PERSONALITY FIT, just as important as skills.

      But, I did skills testing too. Never sent anyone to an interview without personally verifying their resume...if they said they knew MS Word, I gave them a couple of tests, AMAZING what people lie about on their resumes.

      But first thing, right at the door was a piece of paper, and here is what was on it:

      What do you want and why?

      Those six words confounded the largest numbers, so we took it from there.

      Thanks for asking.

      gjabiz
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8709292].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author djtrillian
    I do like the message. I like what you're saying. But my comic brain cannot help but imagine one of these resumes, something like;

    'Tired of hiring lame, boring, run-of-the-mill employees like every other business has?

    Do you think to yourself "If only I could hire some kick-ass employees instead of all those typical dullards we always get, my business could seriously rock! "

    Well, you've come to the right place....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8709381].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Maestroo
    Good info. Thanks for sharing.
    Signature
    but i have promises to keep and miles to go before i sleep...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8712293].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Based
    Do you think writing resumes for people is profitable? I am also very skilled at this but i am curious to know if there are a lot of buyers in this market considering the fact that its so many free services out there for people to choose from and free info
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9350422].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gjabiz
      Originally Posted by Based View Post

      Do you think writing resumes for people is profitable? I am also very skilled at this but i am curious to know if there are a lot of buyers in this market considering the fact that its so many free services out there for people to choose from and free info
      NO!

      And YES!

      There was a time when there were a dozen or more full time Resume Writers in my area, several were 6 figures a year. Today, I don't think any of them are doing very well

      Today, a vast majority of job seekers are using places like Monster. and Job Boards where they have templates to create your own. Also, almost every State (or county) has a Job Center, to get them done for FREE.

      Are there still people making some moolah with resumes? The ones who specialize in Upper and Mid management positions where they need to stand out. BUT, if a person can do this, they need connections....mostly the head hunters, or the more expensive job assistance programs.

      Check your local Craigslist, you'll see HOW? many people doing it? And at what price.

      Across the board, NOT a good money maker with exceptions for specialists.

      gjabiz

      PS. Although as a "dabble" thing, you may find a few willing to pay 20 to 40 bux for a resume, which appeals greatly to many Warriors.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9351067].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
        Originally Posted by gjabiz View Post

        NO!

        And YES!

        There was a time when there were a dozen or more full time Resume Writers in my area, several were 6 figures a year. Today, I don't think any of them are doing very well

        Today, a vast majority of job seekers are using places like Monster. and Job Boards where they have templates to create your own. Also, almost every State (or county) has a Job Center, to get them done for FREE.

        Are there still people making some moolah with resumes? The ones who specialize in Upper and Mid management positions where they need to stand out. BUT, if a person can do this, they need connections....mostly the head hunters, or the more expensive job assistance.

        Check yur local Craigslist, you'll see HOW? many people doing it? And at what price.

        Across the board, NOT a good money maker with exceptions for specialists.

        gjabiz

        PS. Although as a "dabble" thing, you may find a few willing to pay 20 to 40 bux for a resume, which appeals greatly to many Warriors.
        Positioning rears its Godzilla head again, gives a screeching roar and breathes fire all over the humdrum everyday templated resume writer who is foolish enough to be standing still below.

        I wanted to write about this when I found this thread, but was busy and forgot. Well, here is the thread again thanks to being bumped. Anyway...

        Template resume writers suck. They produce the same lousy thing over and over again. And their results are awful.

        I feel sorry for job hunters who use their services. Yes, they get the plus of that "new car smell" for their resume...but I really wish they would come back three months later and leave an honest review of what the revised resume DID. Accomplished. Resulted In.

        Because the answer would be NOTHING.

        If you look and sound like everyone else, you'll be treated like everyone else.

        For 14 years now I've been helping executives and professionals find roles they enjoy. It's a four-figure service and I only get 3 or 4 clients a year because I don't promote it. Not to mention that I've had employers several times create jobs for me that didn't exist before I showed up--because of the unique resume document I was using. There's more to this service than just a resume, of course; however, the individual resume is exactly that: individual and not templated. The way I use the real estate and what I include and do not include is critical for getting results.

        WorkWise: Maverick moves for job hunters | WorkWise®/Mildred L. Culp | Modesto Bee

        Just to demonstrate some validity in this area.

        Resumes are MARKETING.

        Unfortunately, people seem to believe their resume is supposed to be some sort of hardcopy backup file of their entire life.

        NO! The purpose of your resume is to Get You The Interview. That's it.

        So, can you make $1000 a day writing resumes?

        It's going to be a tough slog, and you're really not going to be helping your clients out, if you're trying to do it with $40 templated resumes.

        It's going to be possible if you can use your own marketing skills to position yourself as much more than just a standard resume template-filler-outer...and get in front of job hunters who have some money left in the kitty...who also realize an investment in the right tool will really pay off.

        $40 on a crappy template revision is a throwaway. A feel-good zing to tell yourself you "did something".

        $250 on a somewhat unique rewrite, that could actually help differentiate the client and get them a few more honest employer views...and thereby an additional callback or two leading to an interview...well, that could be worth $30K or $50K or whatever the salary of their next job is.

        $1000 on a fully customized marketing document guaranteed to seize the attention of employers and make them think it would be CRAZY NOT TO call this job seeker in for an interview...for a professional healthcare worker, management executive or anyone else making $80K or $100K+ a year...why wouldn't they leap at the opportunity if it was put in front of them at the right time and explained in the right way?

        This is an area I really enjoy working in, because the results are so personally satisfying. However, I don't market it much...copywriting projects are more lucrative.

        If you can find actiontakers who have real skill...they probably have some dough left in the bank...they probably want their job search over ASAP and have even set a date...and they are probably desperately looking for expertise to throw them over the top. These people are often used to hiring expert coaches.

        Check out this post in which I share something I have NEVER before or since explained:
        http://www.warriorforum.com/copywrit...ml#post8775709

        You can find good prospects that way. Most will be broke and not be a fit...but occasionally you'll find someone who was wishing you'd come along.

        But, and this is my warning, you must have genuine skill yourself and truly be able to help these job hunters get more interviews. If you can't do that, stay out.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9351177].message }}
  • It seems like the basic issue most copywriters have starting out is trying to profit from 'regular' copywriting projects.

    What I mean by that is the extent of their promotion is applying to obvious invitations:

    - Freelance board listings.
    - Job site listings.
    - "Requests for proposals"
    - Etc.

    I know this for a fact because it's how I myself started out...

    And I see the same tendency in basically every newbie on the forum!

    The whole problem is with these jobs you're usually the 'junior' copywriter working under a 'senior' copywriter.

    They pay won't be great because most times the client is just looking for a rough draft they can polish off... And usually they'll expect you to kiss their ass too LOL.

    The 'paradigm shift' for copywriters is to BECOME the consultant who works with clients directly...

    ... Or even better, to write for yourself (i.e. promote your own self made products or affiliate promotions).

    It's not always easy but it pays off in the long run.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9351558].message }}

Trending Topics