Would you like to see and hear Frank Kern's thinking behind his latest sales letter?

38 replies
It's a direct mail letter he wrote for his new partnership with Ryan Diess.

It's for a $15,000 to $25,000 done-for-you
marketing plan.

Oh the price tag is even mentioned.

I'd be very surprised if you did not get at least one aha moment
from this video of Frank walking you through
this letter.

Frank Kern's Look Over My Shoulder

Enjoy!

Ewen
#frank kern #hear #latest #letter #sales #thinking
  • Profile picture of the author shawnlebrun
    Ewen,

    I saw that letter Frank put out last week, I thought it was VERY well written.

    Here's one he posted today...

    https://blackfridaybootcamp.com/live

    I'm assuming it has to do with the same letter that he and Ryan put out...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8734315].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
      Originally Posted by shawnlebrun View Post

      Ewen,

      I saw that letter Frank put out last week, I thought it was VERY well written.

      Here's one he posted today...

      https://blackfridaybootcamp.com/live

      I'm assuming it has to do with the same letter that he and Ryan put out...
      Yeah I'm assuming that direct mail letter is what has driven leads into
      their funnel which has converted into $200,000 in a week...
      and will be part of the webinar subject.

      Love the reasoning why he did things in that letter.

      Best,
      Ewen
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8734517].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
      Originally Posted by shawnlebrun View Post

      Ewen,

      I saw that letter Frank put out last week, I thought it was VERY well written.

      Here's one he posted today...

      https://blackfridaybootcamp.com/live

      I'm assuming it has to do with the same letter that he and Ryan put out...
      This is demonstrating the massive need for absolutely fantastic presell copy.

      It's not just about getting opt-ins for a webinar or basic squeeze page.

      Nope.

      It's about getting prospects into the right frame of mind...

      ...and only getting clicks that will drive up your conversion rate.

      Mark
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8736443].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ross Bowring
    Frank did this same thing during Mass Control. Walked people thru his sales letter. Which, of course, gets them to read the sales letter :-)

    This new letter is a swipe of his own high-end coaching letter he came out with some months back.

    --- Ross
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8735881].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Raydal
      Originally Posted by Ross Bowring View Post

      Frank did this same thing during Mass Control. Walked people thru his sales letter. Which, of course, gets them to read the sales letter :-)

      This new letter is a swipe of his own high-end coaching letter he came out with some months back.

      --- Ross
      You've got it! Frank is not selling copywriting services so why this explanation?
      Just to get you to read the letter and for him to appear honest and forthright at
      the same time. If I tell you how I am trying to persuade you then this makes
      me an honest persuader.

      -Ray Edwards
      Signature
      The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8735897].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rollingse
      Originally Posted by Ross Bowring View Post

      Frank did this same thing during Mass Control. Walked people thru his sales letter. Which, of course, gets them to read the sales letter :-)

      This new letter is a swipe of his own high-end coaching letter he came out with some months back.

      --- Ross
      In Mass Control, Frank walks you through the elements in the email series leading to the launch. As a "newbie" one of the most profound things I learned was the the power of implication.

      For example In the first email to his list, he asks his list for questions. "I understand that the this report I gave you on.......might be a little overwhelming.....just to let you know I'm a real person and when I first got into......I was new too, and had some questions, so here's my email address....

      In the second email to his list, he begins with: "Bob, oh my gosh, listen, I sent out the email and had my email in there and I'm happy to hear from everybody, but I just wanted to let you know that I've been absolutely flooded with emails".

      Frank explains that you basically began the process of creating scarcity when you finally a launch your product or service. He throws subtle phrases like that through out the series of emails leading up to the launch too create anticipation and put the reader in the mindset of taking action quickly.

      Even though I am new to writing copy, I've been in sales over 15 years. I understand that if I say it, it may not be true, but if I can paint a picture and get the reader/prospect to make that assumption, it's like magic!

      As I'm writing this, I just realized you seasoned copywriters are thinking "Duh".....we already knew this.

      But to me, learning to say something without actually directly saying it is genius.

      Thanks for putting up with the ramblings of a newbie....


      Eric
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8741687].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Raydal
        Originally Posted by rollingse View Post

        Even though I am new to writing copy, I've been in sales over 15 years. I understand that if I say it, it may not be true, but if I can paint a picture and get the reader/prospect to make that assumption, it's like magic!

        As I'm writing this, I just realized you seasoned copywriters are thinking "Duh".....we already knew this.

        But to me, learning to say something without actually directly saying it is genius.

        Thanks for putting up with the ramblings of a newbie....

        Eric
        If you've been in sales for 15 years then you are NOT new to copywriting.

        Copywriting is just selling in print, but the psychology is the same, and your
        analysis was spot on. The implied is definitely more powerful than the
        stated because the prospect basically convinces himself or at least thinks
        that he did.

        -Ray Edwards
        Signature
        The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8742174].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author rollingse
          Originally Posted by Raydal View Post

          If you've been in sales for 15 years then you are NOT new to copywriting.

          Copywrg is just selling in e psychology is the same, and your
          analysis was spot on. The implied is definitely more powerful than the
          stated because the prospect basically convinces himself or at least thinks
          that he did.

          -Ray Edwards
          Thanks Ray, I appreciate that and there are several elements that make sense to me. There's a lot to learn though. I look forward to posting some of my copy for review soon. After reading the copywriting checklist above, the one point that made the biggest impact was " when writing every sentence, , asking so what?".

          I'm beginning to see the importance of extensive swipe files for every element of a sales
          letter.

          I appreciate all of you seasoned writers being so willing to share.

          Eric
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8743161].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author max5ty
    Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post


    It's a direct mail letter he wrote for his new partnership with Ryan Diess.
    Ewen, do you really think Frank Kern wrote that?

    One thing Kern does know how to do (among many) is he knows how to surround himself with expert copywriters/marketers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8735959].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
      Originally Posted by max5ty View Post

      Ewen, do you really think Frank Kern wrote that?

      One thing Kern does know how to do (among many) is he knows how to surround himself with expert copywriters/marketers.
      In the video, Kern says he wrote it.

      I'm not one to worship at guru shrines, but I believe him.

      Alex
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8745678].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
        Originally Posted by Alex Cohen View Post

        In the video, Kern says he wrote it.

        I'm not one to worship at guru shrines, but I believe him.

        Alex
        Because no copywriter has ever taken credit for something one of his or her juniors have produced on their behalf, right?

        Mark
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8747326].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
          Originally Posted by Mark Pescetti View Post

          Because no copywriter has ever taken credit for something one of his or her juniors have produced on their behalf, right?

          Mark
          Considering his past problems with the FTC, to me, it's highly unlikely that he would lie.

          I thought you motivation guys were all about positivity. Can't find it in your heart to be as positive about others as you are yourself? lol

          Alex
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8747366].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
            Originally Posted by Alex Cohen View Post

            I thought you motivation guys were all about positivity. Can't find it in your heart to be as positive about others as you are yourself? lol
            You crack me up man.

            And no...

            I don't subscribe to the perscription BS smiles that a lot of the self help wannabes flash like a college chick at mardi gras.

            Mark
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8747443].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
              Originally Posted by Mark Pescetti View Post

              You crack me up man.

              And no...

              I don't subscribe to the perscription BS smiles that a lot of the self help wannabes flash like a college chick at mardi gras.

              Mark
              It's good that we make each other laugh. Sure beats crying in our soup.

              Alex
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8747465].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ross Bowring
    From following his work for a long time, very confident he wrote it. But (giving myself an out) I could be wrong :-)

    --- Ross
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8736381].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ltemodel
      I heard once that Brian Keith Voiles (I hope I spelled that right) did some writing for him years ago. I did see that letter on the video. Really well laid out.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8736403].message }}
  • I liked Franks letter (which as previously mentioned is a swipe for his own "product").

    It really is a "pitch" to adapt and use.

    But here's the thing - (is it just me?) when I read his (or his copywriters stuff) I always feel...

    There should be a few more benefits or a bit more detail.

    Then I think....

    Probably not, his lists are I assume super responsive.

    So enough is enough.


    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8736441].message }}
  • That was one of the most helpful resources I've found yet. Thanks, Ewen.

    Can anyone point me to more "how & why" sales letter walkthroughs like that?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8736650].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author shawnlebrun
      Originally Posted by Benjamin Farthing View Post

      That was one of the most helpful resources I've found yet. Thanks, Ewen.

      Can anyone point me to more "how & why" sales letter walkthroughs like that?
      Ben, I'm not sure if he still does it, or if there's a way to access the archive... but check out Michel Fortin's site... successdoctor.com I think it is.

      Anyways, he used to have a monthly video critique in which he'd go over a marketer's sales copy and make live edits and changes, right there.

      I watched a few of these critiques YEARS ago, and it helped a lot.

      But again, not sure if he still has that access to them on his site. Michel's a great copywriter and his critiques of marketers' copy was great because this was copy that was already pretty well done, and it was circulating and out there... and Michel simply went in and dissected it live and made it better.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8736713].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Benjamin Farthing View Post

      That was one of the most helpful resources I've found yet. Thanks, Ewen.

      Can anyone point me to more "how & why" sales letter walkthroughs like that?
      Brian Keith Voiles
      free, requires email address, no connection
      Killer Copy by Brian Keith Voiles

      Michel Fortin
      The Copy Doctor
      as suggested above per Shawn
      http://successchef.com/copy/
      scroll down page to example critique

      Ross Bowring
      Naked Sales Letters WSO
      paid product no connection

      Vin Montello and friends
      Marketing Clambake Marketing Makeover
      http://marketingclambake.com/2012/06/12/weight-loss/
      Signature
      Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
      - Jack Trout
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8736785].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
      Originally Posted by Benjamin Farthing View Post

      That was one of the most helpful resources I've found yet. Thanks, Ewen.

      Can anyone point me to more "how & why" sales letter walkthroughs like that?
      Others have mentioned critiques, it's harder
      to find an ad writer's comments why he did things
      in the ad.

      Dan Kennedy use to do it as a paid membership.
      I don't know if he still does it.

      I've posted 2, one for a web designer and one for a carpet cleaner.

      Plus 2 which are more brief and how much money they
      brought in. They were for a builder and a plumber.

      Best,
      Ewen
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8736829].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Saluki Guy
        Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

        Others have mentioned critiques, it's harder
        to find an ad writer's comments why he did things
        in the ad.

        Dan Kennedy use to do it as a paid membership.
        I don't know if he still does it.

        I've posted 2, one for a web designer and one for a carpet cleaner.

        Plus 2 which are more brief and how much money they
        brought in. They were for a builder and a plumber.

        Best,
        Ewen
        Ewen,

        I'd like to see those two posts. Is there any chance you could point me in their direction? Thanks.
        Signature
        There is a tide in the affairs of men which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted — all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat, And we must take the current when it serves, Or lose our ventures. - Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8739872].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
      Originally Posted by Benjamin Farthing View Post


      Can anyone point me to more "how & why" sales letter walkthroughs like that?
      Kevin Rogers published a PDF called, "Behind The Copy, Anatomy of a #1 Clickbank Sales Letter"...

      http://www.rogerscopy.com/BehindTheCopy-MOLB.zip

      Alex
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8738074].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Benjamin Farthing View Post

      That was one of the most helpful resources I've found yet. Thanks, Ewen.

      Can anyone point me to more "how & why" sales letter walkthroughs like that?
      Ray Edwards (raydal) - Sales Letter critiques:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfIIGJX-PME
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDYCtOuwIbo
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl_12ZoaGik
      (more available)

      Craig Garber - Sales Copy critique (7 videos) - 2009
      Part 1 of 7
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqfNGi_q_T4

      Lawton Chiles -
      Sales Copy Critique: What Are Sales Copy Critiques & How Do You Know If You Got A Good One?
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT4_OL-0Sew

      Craig Garber - Sales Copy Critique (6 Videos) - 2008
      Part 1 of 6 -
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtQvp7xi7IA
      Signature
      Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
      - Jack Trout
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8738506].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MichaelLamb
    Thanks man, I love frank kern stuff, he really knows what he talks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8736708].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ross Bowring
    There's a difference between a "critique"... which largely focuses on what's WRONG and MAY offer suggestions to make it right.

    And being walked thru letters that do convert well already by their writer... who points out what's RIGHT about the message... explaining how you can adapt their tactics and persuasion devices for your own gain.

    One is more valuable than the other IMHO.

    --- Ross
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8738978].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
      Originally Posted by Ross Bowring View Post

      And being walked thru letters that do convert well already by their writer... who points out what's RIGHT about the message... explaining how you can adapt their tactics and persuasion devices for your own gain.

      One is more valuable than the other IMHO.

      --- Ross
      I don't think Frank wrote this. I agree with Max5ty above.

      However...

      You're absolutely right.

      Getting inside the mind of a copywriter - listening to him/her tell you what techniques they used... and why... is powerful.

      "It's not what you do, but how you do it."

      That one statement pretty much encapsulates why only a small percentage of copywriters are consistently successful.

      Mark
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8739510].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
      Originally Posted by Ross Bowring View Post


      And being walked thru letters that do convert well already by their writer... who points out what's RIGHT about the message... explaining how you can adapt their tactics and persuasion devices for your own gain.

      One is more valuable than the other IMHO.

      --- Ross
      That's what I alluded to, however you Ross made it much clearer.

      I wonder if all writers can go back and look at their work
      and say why they put that there and name the device/persuasion
      tactic?

      Would be interesting.

      I know I like to go over my writing and see the persuasion elements in place
      and name them.

      Best,
      Ewen
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8739562].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author drewfioravanti
    Thanks for the great resources.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8752373].message }}
  • First, I really like the sales letter

    Secondly - a question - did it convert 0.75% to a buyers list??

    If so that leads me to a suggestion, as not all great marketers own a list of buyers.

    Suggestions is:

    Put small ads in classified in offline papers and/or put sponsored ads on FB offering kindalika this:
    ====================================
    2-5 new leads from Facebook?
    FREE rapport reveals how to get new leads/customers (not LIKES) daily from Facebook.
    Pay only postage. Order here at blabla.bla/bla
    ====================================
    On that page - offer to send the rapport (modified Kern letter with how to generate leads from FB and a call to "wanna have us do it 4 you?")



    Ewen, (ohh clever islander on the other side of the planet), how well would you thing that might would work out?
    Signature
    Offline Coach - Programmer since 1995 - Over 40 Projects In 10 Countries
    WSO:

    [Offline Coaching] Will Teach You How to Get To $500 | [Offline Leads] Not Death Yet Icelandic Way To 5k Paydays...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8754996].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Harlan
      Who's Frank Kern?

      And just because Frank wrote it, don't assume it's a home run.

      The most honest copywriter is Joe Sugarman who talked openly about the ads that bombed.

      To learn from it, look at the simple Halbert modeling and style.

      Pay attention to the grade level of the copy.

      Note the formatting of the sales letter.
      Signature

      Harlan D. Kilstein Ed.D.
      Free NLP Communications Course at http://www.nlpcopywriting.com
      http://overnight-copy.com
      Get Fit In Four Minuteshttp://just4minutes.com
      Learn how to build a Super Site Without SEO http://supersiteformula.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8755502].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
        Originally Posted by Harlan View Post


        And just because Frank wrote it, don't assume it's a home run.
        Today Frank said just under 10,000 people
        attended...not too shabby.

        Best,
        Ewen
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8756372].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
          Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

          Today Frank said just under 10,000 people
          attended...not too shabby.

          Best,
          Ewen
          Ewen,

          I listened to much of the webinar and found his "client centric model" interesting.

          Also, his offer easily meets the definition of irresistible.

          Alex
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8768396].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
            Originally Posted by Alex Cohen View Post

            Ewen,

            I listened to much of the webinar and found his "client centric model" interesting.

            Also, his offer easily meets the definition of irresistible.

            Alex
            Alex, after listening to that call more than once and taking extensive notes,
            I could see how it would make a difference in 2 "guru's" businesses.

            Told them about it and we have agreed going into a partnership.

            They have the packeged knowedge and I'll create the marketing and sales funell's for them.

            I'll take a percentage out of the shopping cart.

            I'll make contact with another "guru" on Monday
            and let him know about this funell structure
            and we may join forces with him.

            Working with a client now to re-strucure is marketing funell
            in light of the blueprint shown.

            Powerfull stuff.

            Best,
            Ewen
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8768462].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
      Hey Vincentz, we need to talk.

      Your ad campaign idea would work if we made a few tweaks.

      First call out your target audience.

      If you had a Kindle book,
      make it a physical book at CreatSpace.

      Offer to send it to the reader for free, only pay for shipping.

      On the thank you page, make an offer.

      In your case, a free marketing plan.

      Here's the $30 million reason for asking
      for a little bit of money before the reader
      sees your core offer, more buy it.

      Those that don't take up your core offer,
      you feed them other $7 or below offers.

      On the thank you pages is your core offer.

      Here's an ad example...

      -----------------------------------------------------
      Insurance Rep?
      Would you like a FREE copy of my book One Call Closing
      For Insurance Reps sent to your office? Click here if so
      xxxxxxxxxxx
      ------------------------------------------------------

      See the call out who it is for?

      Asking a question is hard to ignore.

      He has a choice get the free book or not.

      He knows the book is specifically for his profession
      and it is about their biggest problem,
      chasing prospects.

      Plus it is an offer never seen before,
      a book author giving a copy of his book
      for FREE.

      A great ad has these...

      Call out to the right person

      A very specific piece of information
      that helps the reader solve a very specific problem

      An offer that hasn't been seen before
      which creates curiosity.

      Best,
      Ewen



      Originally Posted by Vincentz Dalsgaard View Post

      First, I really like the sales letter

      Secondly - a question - did it convert 0.75% to a buyers list??

      If so that leads me to a suggestion, as not all great marketers own a list of buyers.

      Suggestions is:

      Put small ads in classified in offline papers and/or put sponsored ads on FB offering kindalika this:
      ====================================
      2-5 new leads from Facebook?
      FREE rapport reveals how to get new leads/customers (not LIKES) daily from Facebook.
      Pay only postage. Order here at blabla.bla/bla
      ====================================
      On that page - offer to send the rapport (modified Kern letter with how to generate leads from FB and a call to "wanna have us do it 4 you?")



      Ewen, (ohh clever islander on the other side of the planet), how well would you thing that might would work out?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8755601].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Good stuff overall!

    Frank and Ryan have been pushing this big time on Facebook ads.

    The power of a big time partnership combined with an aggressive marketing campaign makes things happen....throw in a dash of talent too

    Thanks for sharing guys.
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph inspires you to be a successful blogger with his courses, 100 plus eBooks, audio books and blog at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8768774].message }}

Trending Topics