Easy Steps to Writing Sales Copy That CONVERTS

31 replies
Here is an easy to follow outline to help you write sales copy that converts.


STEP ONE: Develope your avatar. That is, define who you're writing to.

STEP TWO: Write a short story about how you had the same problem they're now having.

STEP THREE: Explain how you tried the same things to solve your problem that they're trying now.

STEP FOUR: Explain that once you found (insert your products MAIN BENEFIT HERE) your luck changed and your problem was solved.

STEP FIVE: start to list your products BENEFITS and how they'll also solve THEIR problems, like they did yours.

STEP SIX: Tell them how to get what you're selling

STEP SEVEN: Add value with offer + bonuses

STEP EIGHT: Go for close by telling again how to get it.

There you go - a simple guideline to write a basic, CONVERTING sales letter.

Have fun!
#converts #copy #easy #sales #steps #writing
  • Profile picture of the author AmericanMuscleTA
    That was the shortest copywriting lesson, ever. And... it was great!

    I would add STEP NINE: Include a P.S. and go over, again, how to get the offer and how it'll benefit you.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Signature

    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9166101].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Wealthyclark
    Pretty good outline Ben. I think it's great motivation for anyone on the fence about attempting to create their own sales letters.

    For those newbies that don't know this. Just wanted to add that this is not only for product owners, it can also be applied to preselling affiliate products.

    Wishing you much success,
    WealthyClark
    Signature
    Now Accepting All Countries! Earn $5.10 Per Free Referral, Totally Free To Participate!
    WealthyClark.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9166113].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rene Frydson
    Thanks Ben! I'll try the steps out when promoting to my list next time Great info!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9166985].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Of course, for many, many marketers, steps two, three and four will require them to lie through their teeth...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9167074].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        Of course, for many, many marketers, steps two, three and four will require them to lie through their teeth...
        Unfortunately John's right.

        The sad part, is that there is so much data that can be sold in ANY niche that requires absolutely ZERO success. (And, the copywriting techniques could still be applied).

        Data that I'm talking about:
        Case studies, split tests, lists, compilations, interviews, "beginners" material... etc.

        All potentially *very* valuable, and none of it requires one LICK of "Professionalism" or "Expert Status".



        Just my $.02
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9167179].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author XponentSYS
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        Of course, for many, many marketers, steps two, three and four will require them to lie through their teeth...
        (Sad face) I KNOW.... can't control that though.

        Knowing how to write copy that converts is like a weapon. It can be, and is abused.

        I wish only moral people mastered the skill of "salesmanship in print" but we all know that's not true... Just like we wish only upstanding people owned guns but as media points out, that's not true either.

        The world we live in, eh?
        Signature
        "Hybrid Method" Gets 120,846 TARGETED VISITORS
        To Any Site in ANY NICHE!

        NOW FREE IN THE WAR ROOM! CLICK HERE!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9176948].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author RedShifted
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        Of course, for many, many marketers, steps two, three and four will require them to lie through their teeth...
        Yes, and once you get past that 1 small moral boundary the sky is the limit.

        If you ask me, there is absolutely nothing wrong with lying. It's just a tool we use to persuade people. And it's how and what you lie about that matters.

        If I find a cure for cancer, and have to lie to get people to use it, I would have 0 reservations in doing so. Which is basically the same way I promote all my CB products. I exaggerate, I embellish, I use fake names, fake stories... I adopt the role of a professional liar.

        On any given day, we are lied to between 10-200 times. The majority of those lies don't even come from advertisements.. but our own friends and family.

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_6vDLq64gE

        What bothers me, noone ever wants to talk about all the good things that lies can lead to.

        Look at homicide detectives (here's a great documentary about this topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Fuyrh0eWA). They are trained to lie their asses off. Because most murderers don't walk into a police station to turn themselves in. Just imagine how many murderers would be walking the streets right now if cops couldn't lie during interrogations?

        Does it also lead to false confessions? Yes. But it's a necessary evil.

        Same thing with lawyers.

        The defense has to lie to keep their client out of jail. Prosecutors have to lie to get people in jail. Then we rely on the jury to judge who's telling the truth.

        Point being, lying isn't bad. Same way guns aren't bad. It's how people use them that gives them meaning. And I know I'm not pointing out anything new here. I just want to remind people that lying can lead to just as much good as it can lead to bad.

        -RS
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9177063].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author joe golfer
          Originally Posted by RedShifted View Post

          Yes, and once you get past that 1 small moral boundary the sky is the limit.

          If you ask me, there is absolutely nothing wrong with lying. It's just a tool we use to persuade people. And it's how and what you lie about that matters.

          If I find a cure for cancer, and have to lie to get people to use it, I would have 0 reservations in doing so. Which is basically the same way I promote all my CB products. I exaggerate, I embellish, I use fake names, fake stories... I adopt the role of a professional liar.

          On any given day, we are lied to between 10-200 times. The majority of those lies don't even come from advertisements.. but our own friends and family.

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_6vDLq64gE

          What bothers me, noone ever wants to talk about all the good things that lies can lead to.

          Look at homicide detectives (here's a great documentary about this topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Fuyrh0eWA). They are trained to lie their asses off. Because most murderers don't walk into a police station to turn themselves in. Just imagine how many murderers would be walking the streets right now if cops couldn't lie during interrogations?

          Does it also lead to false confessions? Yes. But it's a necessary evil.

          Same thing with lawyers.

          The defense has to lie to keep their client out of jail. Prosecutors have to lie to get people in jail. Then we rely on the jury to judge who's telling the truth.

          Point being, lying isn't bad. Same way guns aren't bad. It's how people use them that gives them meaning. And I know I'm not pointing out anything new here. I just want to remind people that lying can lead to just as much good as it can lead to bad.

          -RS
          What about the other way--what if someone got hurt or killed because of a lie?
          Signature
          Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
          - Jack Trout
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9177136].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author angiecolee
            Originally Posted by joe golfer View Post

            What about the other way--what if someone got hurt or killed because of a lie?
            Not to mention people tend to want to sue the shit out of those people who have intentionally deceived them.
            Signature

            Aspiring copywriters: if you need 1:1 advice from an experienced copy chief, head over to my Phone a Friend page.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9178025].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author CopyMonster
            Originally Posted by joe golfer View Post

            What about the other way--what if someone got hurt or killed because of a lie?
            Ever consider people get killed for the truth too... like the guy/girl who gets found out for having an affair or a one night escapade? Or the jilted lover who can't stand the idea of their guy/girl being with someone else and it all ends badly?

            You could argue it was really the lie that started the first one, but if the lie was never uncovered?

            Getting philosophical I suppose, but it appears lies are value dependent. Do you want the truth or do you want to feel good? Most people would say both, but they can often conflict.

            "Honey does my bum look fat in this?" - nuff said.

            Back to the normal broadcast...
            Signature
            Scary good...
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9190385].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
          Winner of the rationalization of the day award! (I'm lying - there is no such award...)

          People lie all the time, so it's okay to lie about products as long as there's a buck in it.

          Funny, when an admitted liar says it's okay and compares it to a cancer cure or solving a homicide, not a peep. When I use exaggerated or over the top analogies, I get jumped on for being ridiculous.

          Very sad...

          @OP:

          You may not control how people use weapons, but you do control whether or not you advise them to misuse those weapons.

          Originally Posted by RedShifted View Post

          Yes, and once you get past that 1 small moral boundary the sky is the limit.

          If you ask me, there is absolutely nothing wrong with lying. It's just a tool we use to persuade people. And it's how and what you lie about that matters.

          If I find a cure for cancer, and have to lie to get people to use it, I would have 0 reservations in doing so. Which is basically the same way I promote all my CB products. I exaggerate, I embellish, I use fake names, fake stories... I adopt the role of a professional liar.

          On any given day, we are lied to between 10-200 times. The majority of those lies don't even come from advertisements.. but our own friends and family.

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_6vDLq64gE

          What bothers me, noone ever wants to talk about all the good things that lies can lead to.

          Look at homicide detectives (here's a great documentary about this topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Fuyrh0eWA). They are trained to lie their asses off. Because most murderers don't walk into a police station to turn themselves in. Just imagine how many murderers would be walking the streets right now if cops couldn't lie during interrogations?

          Does it also lead to false confessions? Yes. But it's a necessary evil.

          Same thing with lawyers.

          The defense has to lie to keep their client out of jail. Prosecutors have to lie to get people in jail. Then we rely on the jury to judge who's telling the truth.

          Point being, lying isn't bad. Same way guns aren't bad. It's how people use them that gives them meaning. And I know I'm not pointing out anything new here. I just want to remind people that lying can lead to just as much good as it can lead to bad.

          -RS
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9178362].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author RedShifted
            Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

            Winner of the rationalization of the day award! (I'm lying - there is no such award...)

            People lie all the time, so it's okay to lie about products as long as there's a buck in it.

            Funny, when an admitted liar says it's okay and compares it to a cancer cure or solving a homicide, not a peep. When I use exaggerated or over the top analogies, I get jumped on for being ridiculous.

            Very sad...

            @OP:

            You may not control how people use weapons, but you do control whether or not you advise them to misuse those weapons.
            Mr. McCabe,

            If you really think what I said is "sad", you might as well think its sad that the Earth spins counter-clockwise. Because lying is just as natural as the rotation of our universe. The universe spins, and people spin facts.

            Round and round they go.

            That's the way its been since the beginning of time and that's the way it will always be.

            It doesn't matter if you're a copywriter or a lawyer, a detective, salesman, investor, journalist, teenager, parent.... people lie.

            Our lives are littered with lies from the moment we are born.

            And I'm going to forget that you're a copywriter right now and talk to you like a grown adult.

            When someone talks about "lying", would it be more productive to:

            1) Have a knee-jerk reaction anytime it's mentioned, talk about it like it's some "sad" horrible thing... which automatically ends the debate OR

            2) Admit that lying is in fact natural. That there is nothing innately wrong with it. And remind people that lies can be used for both good and bad?

            Which explanation would *you* give to a child?

            Would you want your own child viewing everything in life as black or white? Or do you want them to know that there are black lies, white lies, and lies of every shade in between?

            If you teach a child "no matter what you think, lying is bad", you're going to raise a child who wakes up one day, realizes Santa doesn't exist, that their own parents are FOS.. and that teenager is more likely to lie their a$$ off just to appease their overbearing, self righteous parents.

            My parents taught me the virtues of honesty.

            But my father also told me more than a hundred times in my life, "I'd much rather trust a man who admits he lies, rather than a man who claims he's never told a lie in his life".

            To the following 3 people,

            John
            Angie.
            Joe.

            Are you all going to tell me that you've never told a lie in your life? That you didn't tell a lie today? That you didn't spin a fact yesterday? Or embellish a truth the day before that?

            If my memory serves me correct Mr. McCabe, weren't you praising the work that Sean Fry did for: Attraction Formula by Paul Janka ?
            • Do you really believe he "used" that system for himself?
            • Do you believe he went most of his life without ever talking to women?
            • Do you believe that product changed his life "permanently"? In just a few days, somehow when he was simultaneously writing the copy?
            • Do any of you think he really had a friend "Jeff" his sophmore year of highschool?
            • Do you believe that Sean can now "meet any woman I want, in any situation, without fear or hesitation"?
            • Do you believe he tried out "every" other dating course on the market? That he actually went out, bought all these products, applied them, and discovered that attraction formula was the best?

            COMEON people. You are copywriters. Not saints. If you ask me, copywriters are among the most talented liars who exist. Because they have to embellish facts in a way that doesn't get them sued. And many of them are very good at that.

            You praise copy that is littered with bs.

            Then you have the audacity to come into this thread and act like you're all a bunch of saints? Like you've never told a fib in your life?

            I understand copywriters on here want to preserve their reputations. I understand that many of you get clients on WF and I do not because I am not a copywriter thus I have no reason to pretend I'm something I'm not (that's a lie, we all do it =]).

            Regardless, the last thing I need to be told, is that lying is "sad", from the same exact man I saw praising a VSL that is littered with bs.

            -Rob
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9178623].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
              Originally Posted by RedShifted View Post

              If my memory serves me correct Mr. McCabe, weren't you praising the work that Sean Fry did for: Attraction Formula by Paul Janka ?

              ...Snip...

              Regardless, the last thing I need to be told, is that lying is "sad", from the same exact man I saw praising a VSL that is littered with bs.

              -Rob
              One of us has a faulty memory, and it is possible it was me, but I don't remember anything about that particular product or presentation.

              If I praised the creator, it was before that thing came online.

              If you check back through the archives, you'll find an extended thread about another warrior (lower case intended) who was crowing about their Clickbank income made by creating "little fictions". Much like yourself and the OP, he also believed that making up stories and presenting them as truth was a perfectly acceptable way to make a buck. Much of the length in that thread came from my own protests.

              My original beef with this whole thread was the OP posting "advice" the right way to write copy was to make up a hero story and nothing else would work.

              Now you've worked yourself into a snit with me defending him. As the bard wrote, "methinks he doth protest too much..."

              Anyway, I've said my piece, and you've said yours, and neither one of us is going to convince the other of anything, so I'll just bow out now...
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9179315].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Sean Fry
              Originally Posted by RedShifted View Post

              If my memory serves me correct Mr. McCabe, weren't you praising the work that Sean Fry did for: Attraction Formula by Paul Janka ?
              • Do you really believe he "used" that system for himself?
              • Do you believe he went most of his life without ever talking to women?
              • Do you believe that product changed his life "permanently"? In just a few days, somehow when he was simultaneously writing the copy?
              • Do any of you think he really had a friend "Jeff" his sophmore year of highschool?
              • Do you believe that Sean can now "meet any woman I want, in any situation, without fear or hesitation"?
              • Do you believe he tried out "every" other dating course on the market? That he actually went out, bought all these products, applied them, and discovered that attraction formula was the best?

              COMEON people. You are copywriters. Not saints. If you ask me, copywriters are among the most talented liars who exist. Because they have to embellish facts in a way that doesn't get them sued. And many of them are very good at that.
              Hey Rob, just thought I'd chime in here.

              One of the reasons that helped me win that contest was because I've been part of the "community" on and off both as an observer and a participant since the beginning of the Speed Seduction days.

              I bought most of Ross' old products. I even attended his ridiculous "psychic influence seminar" back in the day and sat right next to Bishop (if you remember that dude.) Hell, I even bough Major Mark's course on hypnosis and spent a good amount of time studying NLP. My involvement in this niche goes WAY back.

              I had been through everything Eben Pagan put out under DYD. I also experimented with MM, RSD and also was an active participant on Zan's forum for many years just trying to figure out what works.

              I also was pretty familiar with Paul well before Dan ran the contest and in fact, Paul and David X are my two favorite "gurus" in the niche. If it wasn't for them I'd still be wasting my time with the other nonsense taught by other PUA's. Seriously. It was luck that Dan decided to run that contest, I was all over it.

              And I honestly do believe Attraction Formula is the best ebook out there. Do you think there's anything better than that for guys just getting started? There might be. (Also did a training session with Brent and I dig his stuff, but it's sort of advanced.)

              I really did have a friend named Jeff in high school, and he really was a natural. The story I tell in that VSL really did happen. Shit, that was a tame story. This guy was just brazen as hell.

              I really did go most of my life TERRIFIED of talking to women. I still deal with the fear on occasion, so yes, I did embellish a bit on that line. But I have definitely gotten better with age.

              If you want to roll if you're ever in Vegas, hit me up man.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9190717].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author joe golfer
                Originally Posted by Sean Fry View Post

                Hey Rob, just thought I'd chime in here.

                One of the reasons that helped me win that contest was because I've been part of the "community" on and off both as an observer and a participant since the beginning of the Speed Seduction days.

                I bought most of Ross' old products. I even attended his ridiculous "psychic influence seminar" back in the day and sat right next to Bishop (if you remember that dude.) Hell, I even bough Major Mark's course on hypnosis and spent a good amount of time studying NLP. My involvement in this niche goes WAY back.

                I had been through everything Eben Pagan put out under DYD. I also experimented with MM, RSD and also was an active participant on Zan's forum for many years just trying to figure out what works.

                I also was pretty familiar with Paul well before Dan ran the contest and in fact, Paul and David X are my two favorite "gurus" in the niche. If it wasn't for them I'd still be wasting my time with the other nonsense taught by other PUA's. Seriously. It was luck that Dan decided to run that contest, I was all over it.

                And I honestly do believe Attraction Formula is the best ebook out there. Do you think there's anything better than that for guys just getting started? There might be. (Also did a training session with Brent and I dig his stuff, but it's sort of advanced.)

                I really did have a friend named Jeff in high school, and he really was a natural. The story I tell in that VSL really did happen. Shit, that was a tame story. This guy was just brazen as hell.

                I really did go most of my life TERRIFIED of talking to women. I still deal with the fear on occasion, so yes, I did embellish a bit on that line. But I have definitely gotten better with age.

                If you want to roll if you're ever in Vegas, hit me up man.
                Cool, whatever happened to Jeff? Probably a dentist, right?
                Signature
                Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
                - Jack Trout
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9190925].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author XponentSYS
            Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

            [B]

            @OP:

            You may not control how people use weapons, but you do control whether or not you advise them to misuse those weapons.
            True, and that's about ALL you can do. As a coach, I always advice my members on a "code of ethics" they should be following as they learn the power of knowing what we know..... and doing what we do.
            Signature
            "Hybrid Method" Gets 120,846 TARGETED VISITORS
            To Any Site in ANY NICHE!

            NOW FREE IN THE WAR ROOM! CLICK HERE!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9196130].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author XponentSYS
      Originally Posted by Rene Frydson View Post

      Thanks Ben! I'll try the steps out when promoting to my list next time Great info!
      As some pointed out, yes, copy writing is a skill to be honed over time but.....

      1. The PROCESS is easy to over think and thus, never gets started.
      2. My blueprint of sorts is a great way to CRUSH "number 1" and start.

      We'd love it if you came back to tell me how this worked with your list. BTW, try a "clif hanger" email. That means, use steps 1 - 4 I. Your email and make them click for the rest using a solid CTA.

      I do that at times... works well.
      Signature
      "Hybrid Method" Gets 120,846 TARGETED VISITORS
      To Any Site in ANY NICHE!

      NOW FREE IN THE WAR ROOM! CLICK HERE!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9176943].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author xxxJamesxxx
    As it goes, I'm just writing some sales copy right now.

    I got to admit, absolutely hate writing copy - normally outsource it but I figured I'd do it myself this time because the more you do it, the better and easier it gets every time.

    Thanks for the outlines btw... Appreciate it

    James Scholes
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9167142].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
    Awesome man.

    If there's ONE piece of advice I would DARE give...

    It's to have fun.



    When I'm laughing my ass off writing my copy...

    Typically it will convert much better.

    (But... Don't take my advice. I'm literally *insane*).

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9167169].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KattyHowells
    Simple and clear formula. Speaking of which, I have one that might be helpful too. Here's how I usually draft my copy:

    Step one - write down an attention-grabbing greeting
    Step two - I name the problem and state that I will help them solve it
    Step three - I underline the fact that the availability of my help won't be there forever, it's a limited time offering
    Step four - I stress the problem even more, pushing them to take action
    Step five - I present the solution to their problem, meaning the product or service I'm trying to promote
    Step six - I list the main features and the benefits of my product or service
    Step seven - I introduce a first call to action, ideally based on a powerful desire
    Step eight - I place the testimonials, case studies, results and other proof that I have
    Step nine - I present a guarantee, something that shows I'm confident in my product and they should be confident in getting it too
    Step ten - I place a second call to action, this time using a logical argument
    Step eleven - I warn them about the time ticking
    Step twelve - I end it with the third call to action, this time an argument based on fear - they fear of what could happen if they won't solve that problem with my product
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9167206].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Bagley
    I've always needed a step zero: trust the product. Maybe I'm not that good of a marketer after all....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9167289].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
    Originally Posted by XponentSYS View Post

    STEP ONE: Develope your avatar. That is, define who you're writing to.

    STEP TWO: Write a short story about how you had the same problem they're now having.

    STEP THREE: Explain how you tried the same things to solve your problem that they're trying now.

    STEP FOUR: Explain that once you found (insert your products MAIN BENEFIT HERE) your luck changed and your problem was solved.
    Thanks for sharing your process.

    But you're missing major points here.

    Knowing who your avatar is only gives you one piece of the puzzle.

    Assuming you or your client created the product, you ARE the avatar. He or she IS the avatar.

    As the product developer...

    What were you experiencing? What did you want? How did you get it?

    Add those three components together to start formulating your hook, story and overall positioning (i.e. how you're entering the conversation already happening in your avatar's mind.)

    Your first four steps essentially omit this process.

    Sure, I understand what you're trying to say in step two, but you failed to make that point cross the finish line. It's obscure and doesn't arm an ad person with the true process for going-to-market with effective copy.

    I could go on and on and on... but I just wanted to drop that piece.

    Eugene, huh? Check out The Wandering Goat in the Whiteaker. (Assuming you haven't, which would blow my mind.)

    Mark
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9167909].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author XponentSYS
      Originally Posted by Mark Pescetti View Post

      Thanks for sharing your process.

      But you're missing major points here.

      Knowing who your avatar is only gives you one piece of the puzzle.

      Assuming you or your client created the product, you ARE the avatar. He or she IS the avatar.

      As the product developer...

      What were you experiencing? What did you want? How did you get it?

      Add those three components together to start formulating your hook, story and overall positioning (i.e. how you're entering the conversation already happening in your avatar's mind.)

      Your first four steps essentially omit this process.

      Sure, I understand what you're trying to say in step two, but you failed to make that point cross the finish line. It's obscure and doesn't arm an ad person with the true process for going-to-market with effective copy.

      I could go on and on and on... but I just wanted to drop that piece.

      Eugene, huh? Check out The Wandering Goat in the Whiteaker. (Assuming you haven't, which would blow my mind.)

      Mark
      Mark,

      Thanks for expanding on that. I get it, just didn't put that in. Was thping that on my iPhone at Poppas Soul Food Kitchen

      Wandering Goat..... oh I know that place! Been there lots. Lotsa things in the "WIT" would blow the minds of those not conditioned to the likes of "Eugene".
      Signature
      "Hybrid Method" Gets 120,846 TARGETED VISITORS
      To Any Site in ANY NICHE!

      NOW FREE IN THE WAR ROOM! CLICK HERE!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9176961].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Spiderwebcopy
    Good contributions from everyone. I would also add "Know everything about the product you can" If you don't know the product inside and out you may miss features that can allow you to discuss benefits that you didn't even know about.
    Signature

    "A good advertisement is one which sells the product without drawing attention to itself." ~ David Ogilvy

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9168527].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author angiecolee
    I'm unsure how "some lies are OK" turned into "you guys claim never to have lied".

    This isn't about whether I've ever lied. That was never a claim I made and if I had, it certainly wouldn't be true.

    And to answer your questions, no I didn't feel the need to lie any time in the recent past that I can recall. I strive to be honest, even when it's the hard path. I've always been hard-headed like that though.

    The principles I stand for are tattooed around both wrists, as a matter of fact. When someone shakes hands with me, if they look down they'll see "Truth".

    So no, I won't lie or exaggerate to sell. There are too many great products out there that don't require lies to sell. That's the beauty of it too. You can lie and make sales, I can tell the truth and make sales. In the end we both wind up making money for standing up for our principles.
    Signature

    Aspiring copywriters: if you need 1:1 advice from an experienced copy chief, head over to my Phone a Friend page.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9178744].message }}
  • One lie I hate is when the voice over on a VSL says "this short presentation"

    27 minutes later and I'm still listening to it rabbiting on.

    Actually, that was a fib, I normally get bored and click off before we reach double figures.


    Steve


    P.S. I may stick with them, if only they didn't constantly hammer every point to death, reincarnate it then kill it off again (by the 3rd reiteration I'm saying "Yes, I get it, I do, good point, well made - now please can we move on?").

    Or if I'm patiently waiting for the big "secret" to be revealed - by the time it is I'll have forgotten what it was about.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9179249].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dillondcarter
    Great outline This was exactly what I was looking for! I am writing the first copy of my first landing page and it really seems like a daunting task. So this will make it much easier. Thanks man!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9180164].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JonesMurray
    Looking at these tips, it may seem that good advertising involves manipulating the emotions of your customers.

    The best copy in the world won't help you if you don't have anything people want. If you aren't solving a painful problem, then it doesn't matter what tactics you use... or how clever and entertaining you are.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9191600].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author XponentSYS
      Originally Posted by JonesMurray View Post

      Looking at these tips, it may seem that good advertising involves manipulating the emotions of your customers......
      Yes, good copy does manipulate the emotions of your prospects. That's one of the things a "story format' does.

      In direct response (and most other forms of marketing) prople make decisions based on emotional want
      Signature
      "Hybrid Method" Gets 120,846 TARGETED VISITORS
      To Any Site in ANY NICHE!

      NOW FREE IN THE WAR ROOM! CLICK HERE!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9196155].message }}

Trending Topics