Selling supplements via Amazon FBA

12 replies
  • ECOMMERCE
  • |
Hey guys,
Had some questions regarding starting a supplement company and selling via Amazon FBA.

First off, has anyone here done this? Would definitely appreciate any advice or tips! I have seen a couple people who have had great success with it, so I know it's more than possible.

Does anyone have supplement companies they would recommend that are savvy with Amazon FBA?

How about companies that offer low(er) minimums on custom formulations? Seems most want 300,000 pills, or $5000 minimum order.

So far, I have been contacting suppliers and doing research. My findings thus far:

- Amazon is very picky when it comes to packaging. If something is sold in a glass bottle, it needs to be bubble-wrapped and survive a drop test.

- Since supplements technically expire, Amazon requires you to print the expiration date on a separate sticker. So that's 1- bubble wrap it, then 2- apply bar code sticker AND 3-expiration date sticker on bubble wrap.

- My business is based in California, but one supplier told me that if I wanted them to ship to an Amazon fulfillment center in either AZ or KY, then I would need a separate resale license for those states, in addition to my California one. Is this normal?

- Are there companies that will prep a product for Amazon? So i could have the supplier ship to them, they bubble wrap and sticker it, then ship it ready to go to Amazon. I would like to automate the process so I don't have to manually pre-pack everything.

I would love to hear any advice and tips from the experienced players out there! I'm new to this business model, but committed to making it work.

THANK YOU!
#amazon #fba #fulfullment by amazon #selling #supplements #vitamins
  • Profile picture of the author hbennick
    I would contact this Gene Arroyo. I'm not getting paid for this or anything, he was just helpful when I was considering the same area.

    Gene Arroyo/Business Development
    Private Label Nutraceuticals
    1900 Beaver Ridge Circle
    Norcross, GA 30071
    1.888.240.4835 ext. 2210.- office TOLL FREE

    Skype: GeneArroyoPLN, 1.732.510.0107
    www.PrivateLabelNutra.com

    http://www.facebook.com/PrivateLabelNutraceuticals

    Signature
    Starting an Amazon business? Expanding your eBay line? Absolutely lost? Know your stuff, but need a little help? Please private message me, I can help. I've helped several people achieve their goals. There's no charge if I can't help you.
    Also, please check out my Advanced FaceBook Amazon FBA Mastermind Group.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1386831354951122/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9669572].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author walterego
      Originally Posted by hbennick View Post

      I would contact this Gene Arroyo. I'm not getting paid for this or anything, he was just helpful when I was considering the same area.

      Gene Arroyo/Business Development
      Private Label Nutraceuticals
      1900 Beaver Ridge Circle
      Norcross, GA 30071
      1.888.240.4835 ext. 2210.- office TOLL FREE

      Skype: GeneArroyoPLN, 1.732.510.0107
      www.PrivateLabelNutra.com

      http://www.facebook.com/PrivateLabelNutraceuticals
      Thank you! I will look Gene up.

      So after considering this route, you ended up taking another direction? Do you mind if i ask why you didn't pursue it?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9672529].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author hbennick
        Originally Posted by walterego View Post

        Thank you! I will look Gene up.

        So after considering this route, you ended up taking another direction? Do you mind if i ask why you didn't pursue it?
        I couldn't figure out how to make any real money in it, the market just didn't support significant margin unless you can afford to buy very large quantities. If you can order a few thousand bottles at a time, it starts to work. I just wasn't in the position to spend $15k on inventory.
        Signature
        Starting an Amazon business? Expanding your eBay line? Absolutely lost? Know your stuff, but need a little help? Please private message me, I can help. I've helped several people achieve their goals. There's no charge if I can't help you.
        Also, please check out my Advanced FaceBook Amazon FBA Mastermind Group.
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/1386831354951122/
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9684737].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DWaters
    I have been active with FBA for a while but I have not attempting this type of a set up. You may want to contact Maeja Associates and contact John from their site. Amoung other things they prep and ship products to the FBA warehouses for sellers.

    For the tax question I would suggest going to Cynthia Stine's blog. She is an FBA seller and writes some excellnet articles including a lot about dealing with the tax situation.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9669678].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SmallRevolution
    walterego, there are a stack of supplement sellers all over the USA. Would you not find one in the state that has Amazon FBA centres?

    I'll bet 5 bucks that there is a supplement seller in the two states that you mentioned!?

    But this would seem a little odd to me that a seller would need a license to operate in each state. Is that related to the FDA approved facility requirements? Perhaps choose a supplier who is authorised to sell in the FBA's fulfillment State.
    Signature

    Founder of SmallRevolution.com
    Build your own online store, step by step.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9674195].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author walterego
      Originally Posted by SmallRevolution View Post

      walterego, there are a stack of supplement sellers all over the USA. Would you not find one in the state that has Amazon FBA centres?

      I'll bet 5 bucks that there is a supplement seller in the two states that you mentioned!?

      But this would seem a little odd to me that a seller would need a license to operate in each state. Is that related to the FDA approved facility requirements? Perhaps choose a supplier who is authorised to sell in the FBA's fulfillment State.
      Yeah... honestly I thought this was a strange request (the multiple resale numbers). And only one company has asked for that. Soooo probably best to just use another company I am finding that some companies are much more savvy w Amazon FBA, where as others just don't want to deal with it.

      One thing that is slightly frustrating is a lot of these companies just don't get back to you, but I suppose that can be the nature of biz. Email, call, no response. Guess you just gotta keep pestering them Either that, or deal with the ones who actually respond!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9677164].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ZanyZebra
    Originally Posted by walterego View Post

    Hey guys,
    Had some questions regarding starting a supplement company and selling via Amazon FBA.

    First off, has anyone here done this? Would definitely appreciate any advice or tips! I have seen a couple people who have had great success with it, so I know it's more than possible.

    Does anyone have supplement companies they would recommend that are savvy with Amazon FBA?

    How about companies that offer low(er) minimums on custom formulations? Seems most want 300,000 pills, or $5000 minimum order.

    So far, I have been contacting suppliers and doing research. My findings thus far:

    - Amazon is very picky when it comes to packaging. If something is sold in a glass bottle, it needs to be bubble-wrapped and survive a drop test.

    - Since supplements technically expire, Amazon requires you to print the expiration date on a separate sticker. So that's 1- bubble wrap it, then 2- apply bar code sticker AND 3-expiration date sticker on bubble wrap.

    - My business is based in California, but one supplier told me that if I wanted them to ship to an Amazon fulfillment center in either AZ or KY, then I would need a separate resale license for those states, in addition to my California one. Is this normal?

    - Are there companies that will prep a product for Amazon? So i could have the supplier ship to them, they bubble wrap and sticker it, then ship it ready to go to Amazon. I would like to automate the process so I don't have to manually pre-pack everything.

    I would love to hear any advice and tips from the experienced players out there! I'm new to this business model, but committed to making it work.

    THANK YOU!
    You're not going to like this.

    My advice is, that unless you have a strong and definitive advantage in some way over the heaving mass of competitors selling supplements on amazon, don't.

    By advantage I mean either a unique supplement formula with a proven health benefit that customers actually care about, or a sustainable pricing point that will disrupt the competition long term, or very deep pockets filled with cash to out-advertise the competition on amazon ads (the price of which is one the highest of all products on amazon), etc.

    You're welcome.

    Good luck with your ventures.
    Signature
    Want Straight Answers About ASM? (Amazing Selling Machine). Go To:

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/ASMEntrepreneurs/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10374110].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author violet0176
    Too much brand loyalty in the supplements market. Don't waste your time. Unless you're offering custom formulations that are not currently available -in that case you may find a consumer market.

    Custom formulations are an expensive endeavor including research and FDA approval.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10374295].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnsandrews
    Hello,

    I don't have that much knowledge about it. But when I need it I bought from Grit Nutrition store in tradition way.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11008015].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DWaters
    Just a couple additional thoughts - Consider staying away from glass bottles and avoid the bubble wrap/drop test situation.

    Also remember that Amazon determines which warehouse the items ends up going to. I know with my shipments they usually go to a start near mine and then some of the inventory goes to other locations. Amazon wants to have the inventory properly distributed in various warehouses.

    Also - many of your questions can be answered by Amazon.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11008175].message }}

Trending Topics