Selling gadgets (like smartphone) from Aliexpress, feasible or bad idea?

9 replies
  • ECOMMERCE
  • |
I am wondering if putting up a shopify store to sell gadgets from Aliexpress is a good or bad idea? as I have found some xiaomi phones from reputable suppliers.

Thank you
#aliexpress #bad #feasible #gadgets #idea #selling #smartphone
  • Profile picture of the author Hippos
    Delivery time will te slow. Returns will be very hard to deal with. And about Xiaomi, don't forget that every Google service is blocked, so you need to root them and install a fresh android. This could be a problem. Xiaomi phones can't be sold outside China as well, if I remember correctly, so there could be legal issues as well.

    I have considered doing something similar myself, but in the end decided not to. Too many problems.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11001218].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gicharu Mathigu
    You can sell anything really, as long as there is a market. That said, you need to do your homework first. Ask yourself:

    1. Are there people who'll buy the phones? A bit of Googling told me Xiaomi is very popular in Asia, but not so much in Western countries.
    2. If you find a market for the phone outside Asia, is there anyone else selling the same phone/gadgets? If there are several competitors, people are making money. If you can't find a competitor, most likely there's no money to be made. OR it's a goldmine and you'll rake in boatloads of cash.
    3. Will the sellers handle the deliveries and accept returns? Try and find some who do because that will save you lots of headaches.
    4. Take a look at this website: http://startupbros.com

    DISCLAIMER: AM IN NO WAY AFFLIATED TO STARTUP BROS. But I find their opinions quite informative.

    Hope that helps
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11001222].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aarthielumalai
    One of the posters above me has cited legal concerns. Since I'm not familiar with the brand, I'm not qualified to comment on that.

    But, I would say that dropshipping, in its very essence, is not the best business idea. E-commerce works best if you have the inventory with you.

    If you drop ship, you won't have control over the following:
    1. Delivery time of the product
    2. Quality of the product
    3. Pre-sale questions about questions only the person who's familiar with the inventory could answer

    Furthermore, if there are refunds, which is more likely if your source decided to pull one over you and deliver bad products, you'll end up with lost time and resources, not to mention the stress.

    Aliexpress is a great platform, but there is a reason the big guys buy in bulk, take control of the inventory, and deliver themselves. To be honest, that's the best way to ensure that your customers come back to your store (repeat customers are the life of any business after all), and you make a decent profit.

    If you've done your market research, and you feel this product would sell, I'd highly recommend having the products delivered to you before you sell them. If you have the budget, that is. E-commerce is a great business model, but it is not one that can be ethically started with a low startup cost.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11001277].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ED1190
    AliExpress has the e-packet option on some of their products, which expedites the shipping portion.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11001941].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mysterious Robin
    Originally Posted by Hippos View Post

    Delivery time will te slow. Returns will be very hard to deal with. And about Xiaomi, don't forget that every Google service is blocked, so you need to root them and install a fresh android. This could be a problem. Xiaomi phones can't be sold outside China as well, if I remember correctly, so there could be legal issues as well.

    I have considered doing something similar myself, but in the end decided not to. Too many problems.
    There are some suppliers stating that google service is installed (MIUI global rom is installed) so I dunno, but thank you for pointing that out.

    Originally Posted by Gicharu Mathigu View Post

    You can sell anything really, as long as there is a market. That said, you need to do your homework first. Ask yourself:

    1. Are there people who'll buy the phones? A bit of Googling told me Xiaomi is very popular in Asia, but not so much in Western countries.
    2. If you find a market for the phone outside Asia, is there anyone else selling the same phone/gadgets? If there are several competitors, people are making money. If you can't find a competitor, most likely there's no money to be made. OR it's a goldmine and you'll rake in boatloads of cash.
    3. Will the sellers handle the deliveries and accept returns? Try and find some who do because that will save you lots of headaches.
    4. Take a look at this website: Start Your Business & Become an Entrepreneur - StartupBros

    DISCLAIMER: AM IN NO WAY AFFLIATED TO STARTUP BROS. But I find their opinions quite informative.

    Hope that helps
    I see. Thank you

    Originally Posted by aarthielumalai View Post

    One of the posters above me has cited legal concerns. Since I'm not familiar with the brand, I'm not qualified to comment on that.

    But, I would say that dropshipping, in its very essence, is not the best business idea. E-commerce works best if you have the inventory with you.

    If you drop ship, you won't have control over the following:
    1. Delivery time of the product
    2. Quality of the product
    3. Pre-sale questions about questions only the person who's familiar with the inventory could answer

    Furthermore, if there are refunds, which is more likely if your source decided to pull one over you and deliver bad products, you'll end up with lost time and resources, not to mention the stress.

    Aliexpress is a great platform, but there is a reason the big guys buy in bulk, take control of the inventory, and deliver themselves. To be honest, that's the best way to ensure that your customers come back to your store (repeat customers are the life of any business after all), and you make a decent profit.

    If you've done your market research, and you feel this product would sell, I'd highly recommend having the products delivered to you before you sell them. If you have the budget, that is. E-commerce is a great business model, but it is not one that can be ethically started with a low startup cost.
    That's what I'm worrying but buying my own inventory would entail high start up costs probably more than $1,000
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11001976].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Importexport
      Originally Posted by Mysterious Robin View Post

      That's what I'm worrying but buying my own inventory would entail high start up costs probably more than $1,000
      Xiaomi can only be purchased though their authorized outlets and there are only 2 in HK and China, where you will pay retail. Any others you have found will be fakes.

      You are taking a big risk if you try to import and sell big brand name products like that. They will be confiscated by customs, and there are penalties.

      You can buy legitimate products, not big brand names, direct from the manufacturer at prices that will allow you to make big margins. You certainly don't need to spend $1,000 on buying direct.

      Walter Hay
      Provenchinasourcing
      Signature
      Don't just slap on a label. Build a GREAT BRAND http://powerlabelsforprivatelabelingprofits.com Safe sourcing and easy importing from China & many other countries.https://ko296.isrefer.com/go/pcs001/whay/
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11006507].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author agmccall
    Buy some of what you want to sell and check the quality.

    al
    Signature

    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me?
    ~Jack Handey~

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11002188].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jim Blake
    I would highly advise against selling electronics you purchase and drop ship from Aliexpress.
    Too much of a risk, not enough reward. Refunds galore.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11014064].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author timexer
    Here are two links on dropshipping that you might find interesting:

    The Ultimate Guide to AliExpress Dropshipping (January, 2017)

    https://www.oberlo.com/blog/aliexpre...hipping-guide/

    The Definitive Guide to Dropshipping with AliExpress

    https://www.shopify.com/blog/1176071...ith-aliexpress

    Hope you find it useful. Good luck!

    Timothy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11046819].message }}

Trending Topics