The coronavirus outbreak is crippling ecommerce, however...

by WF- Enzo Administrator
41 replies
  • ECOMMERCE
  • |
I don't have to delve further; the ongoing coronavirus outbreak is crippling everything - air travel, tourism, and ecommerce. We know the commercial impact is far-reaching, already causing profit warnings, store closures, etc among business which heavily rely on China's vast purchasing power.

However, the outbreak also inadvertently sparked a specific niche in ecommerce - grocery shopping.

Chime in
#coronavirus #crippling #ecommerce #outbreak
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Yes, it definitely has. Companies with food delivery built into their business models will most likely see a rapid increase in demand. People who fear to go to crowded supermarkets will probably start using the internet for their grocery shopping, having products delivered directly to their homes. This will probably be a rising trend among the population over the age of 65.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11581151].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JojoKalma71
      I completely agree with you! this will be in demand! this virus has scared the entire planet and I resent what will happen next!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11581326].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author moonlighter92
        This worries me since there's no sign that this virus is stopping.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11581569].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author nomad576
          I agree. This darn Corona is going to affect all of us even worse. I read theyre expecting a BIG jump in Foreclosures for one thing. People will have to order their groceries online and go pick them up at the store. I had to that after surgery last year. Good luck to you.

          It's already happening in the US. Many like me have been laid off and I'm not buying anything I don't need. Many fancy stores have boarded up their windows to keep looters out. Security Guards are now in demand to watch over all those businesses. I don't see a Recession. I see a darn Depression coming. I may get a camper van to move into soon. Good luck to you.

          An online business would be great. I've tried making money online for years. Now that jobs are going into layoffs, what actual online offers would sell well for an Affiliate??? No one will have ANY extra cash soon. I may move into a camper van in the future. Im already emptying my apartment of tons of stuff. What offers would actually pay an Affiliate well? Thank you, and good luck to you.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11590798].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
    It hasn't affected any of our eCommerce websites. Then again, we don't have any that dropship products from China, either.
    Signature
    StoreCoach.com- Learn How to Dropship the Right Way - Buy & Sell Websites - Partner with Coach
    My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox News, the NY Times & Flippa
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11581154].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SeeyouVader
      Originally Posted by dave_hermansen View Post

      It hasn't affected any of our eCommerce websites. Then again, we don't have any that dropship products from China, either.
      How did you find a supplier/agent in the US ? I'm getting 100+ orders a day and I can't keep relying on late-replying Aliexpress suppliers.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11587076].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IGotMine
    the ongoing coronavirus outbreak is crippling everything
    I still haven't felt a thing. The only way I even knew about it is mentions on this forum.

    So, definitely NOT crippling "everything."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11581161].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dsimms
      Originally Posted by IGotMine View Post

      I still haven't felt a thing. The only way I even knew about it is mentions on this forum.

      So, definitely NOT crippling "everything."
      Our last pandemic was in 2009 called the H1N1, over 1 billion people were affected, and 100s of thousands died as a result of the influenza virus....

      How about before that?

      In 1918, over 50 million people worldwide died as a result of the Spanish flu.

      This is just getting started, and appears to be spreading faster then anyone can blink an eye. They estimate it may take up to 1.5 years to develop a cure. Can you imagine how many people will be affected, and have died in that period of time? and this is assuming the virus does not mutate once a cure has been found.

      3rd world factories have already started closing, and I suspect as this virus sweeps through the United States, then you will see something similar.

      So unless this virus stops quickly, then it is not a matter of if it is going to take over, it is about when, or how long it will take to spread even more through out the US.

      If this virus keeps going at the rate it is, then it will just be a matter of time before you feel the affects, and as the virus progresses, then you will feel affects that may not be all that desirable.

      Think of this as the Sun: If the sun burns out today, you will still see the light, at least for a period of time, but sooner or later, the light dims, then it goes out, then it gets colder, then you die. I know this is a little drastic, but no one ever said that pandemics are a fun thing to live through, and it will get worse....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11581214].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author savidge4
        Originally Posted by dsimms View Post

        Our last pandemic was in 2009 called the H1N1, over 1 billion people were affected, and 100s of thousands died as a result of the influenza virus....
        Look I get it the hype over the "Corona Virus" AKA "COVID-19" ( the disease ) AKA "SARS-CoV-2" ( The actual Virus ) YES you are reading the last one correctly... but anyways

        Has anyone paid attention to the stats States side for the "Flu" this year... more than 16,000 dead? if the Corona Virus is scary, than what is the run of the mill flu?

        By percentage of population in China vs the States and comparing Deaths from Corona vs the Flu here in the States... Statistically The travel blocks should be reversed LOL

        All I can say is WASH YOUR HANDS
        Signature
        Success is an ACT not an idea
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11581245].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
        Originally Posted by dsimms View Post

        They estimate it may take up to 1.5 years to develop a cure.
        Lets be accurate, people ...

        There are already people being cured. "They" say that it MAY take UP TO 1 1/2 years to create a vaccine, which is not a "cure", it is preventive so that you never have to be cured. Also, the latest estimates are that the vaccine MAY be available as early as the end of this year - right in time for next year's outbreak.
        Signature
        StoreCoach.com- Learn How to Dropship the Right Way - Buy & Sell Websites - Partner with Coach
        My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox News, the NY Times & Flippa
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11581385].message }}
  • ALSO digital marketing . In the UK we are being told you should work from home if possible...which is perfect if you're marketing digital business models
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11581240].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dsimms
      Originally Posted by Millenniallondoner View Post

      ALSO digital marketing . In the UK we are being told you should work from home if possible...which is perfect if you're marketing digital business models
      I dont think that will matter since the economy appears to be tanking right in front of our very eyes with daily live updates. When people stop working, factories start closing, people not making money, thus means people will stop buying, sooner or later...

      It looks like we are standing at the front door of a recession. Today alone, I think the stock market is down something like 2,000 points, some of that may be oil related, however, I suspect most of that fall is related to virus that appears to be taking over the planet by storm.

      The US economy may be strong now, however, as this virus continues to take root, then I suspect the US Economy will start to decline in the future, and I mean in the near future.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11582791].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thefreedomchaser
      Originally Posted by Millenniallondoner View Post

      ALSO digital marketing . In the UK we are being told you should work from home if possible...which is perfect if you're marketing digital business models

      Totally agree.... was thinking about this earlier too. Do you think it's unethical to use this current crisis situation as the basis of marketing messaging to sell home-based online business products? No doubt this is already being done, I just haven't seen it yet...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11582805].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
        Originally Posted by thefreedomchaser View Post

        Totally agree.... was thinking about this earlier too. Do you think it's unethical to use this current crisis situation as the basis of marketing messaging to sell home-based online business products? No doubt this is already being done, I just haven't seen it yet...
        It's certainly no more unethical than what politicians are doing (as if they should ever be the basis for ethics). You know what they say ... never let a good crisis go to waste.
        Signature
        StoreCoach.com- Learn How to Dropship the Right Way - Buy & Sell Websites - Partner with Coach
        My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox News, the NY Times & Flippa
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11582864].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author dsimms
        Originally Posted by thefreedomchaser View Post

        Totally agree.... was thinking about this earlier too. Do you think it's unethical to use this current crisis situation as the basis of marketing messaging to sell home-based online business products? No doubt this is already being done, I just haven't seen it yet...
        It depends on what your message is, and if you are not careful, then it could certainly backfire, for instance, some companies have already been caught by making coronavirus claims on their drugs, CBD oils, now they are wishing they did not do this; Never let a good prison sentence go to waste, ROFL.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11582912].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
          Originally Posted by dsimms View Post

          It depends on what your message is, and if you are not careful, then it could certainly backfire, for instance, some companies have already been caught by making coronavirus claims on their drugs, CBD oils, now they are wishing they did not do this; Never let a good prison sentence go to waste, ROFL.
          I think he was talking more in terms of - "Work from Home, Make Money and Never Worry About the Corona Virus!"
          Signature
          StoreCoach.com- Learn How to Dropship the Right Way - Buy & Sell Websites - Partner with Coach
          My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox News, the NY Times & Flippa
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11583178].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rain21
    businesses in my country also have affected badly because of the corona virus in China. Some Chinese factories are still closed and many local factories here wait for shipments from China. Big hit for some businesses.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11581292].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author erealmz
    I work in a restaurant and have seen our to-go/Doordash orders increase like crazy over the last few weeks. I didn't really think that this outbreak could be the cause of it but now I'm starting to wonder.
    Signature

    There are an unlimited number of potential future selves. Are you going to become the one you want to be? or the one that just... is?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11581328].message }}
  • I cannot agree with you more !

    Apart from the US Election, the daily newspapers are engulfed with almost nothing but news and update on the global situation of Covid 19.

    The wave of empty supermarket shelves starts to move from Asia to Europe and Oceania. These panic and mindless purchases of food and other essentials (especially toilet rolls !) speak of nothing but insecurity. These insecurities will not only show in the irrationality of how we wipe off shelves at supermarkets, it will soon or maybe even now has crept on to our job. The fear of losing our job. It is foreseen that there will be high layoffs by companies due to the impact of Covid 19 on the economy and businesses.

    Is there something that we could do about it ? Absolutely not. The current situation is beyond our control.

    However, we may try to cushion the impact and even brace ourselves and start planning for those possible uncertain time to come.

    How ?

    Consider an online business in the form of Internet Marketing. This sector can almost be considered recession-proof. The best thing is that it can be a long-term business that generates passive income even while one is asleep. It can even be a business that we leave as a legacy for our next generation when it is nurtured and well built up.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11581520].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dsimms
      Originally Posted by Margaret Low Tremolieres View Post

      I cannot agree with you more !

      Apart from the US Election, the daily newspapers are engulfed with almost nothing but news and update on the global situation of Covid 19.

      The wave of empty supermarket shelves starts to move from Asia to Europe and Oceania. These panic and mindless purchases of food and other essentials (especially toilet rolls !) speak of nothing but insecurity. These insecurities will not only show in the irrationality of how we wipe off shelves at supermarkets, it will soon or maybe even now has crept on to our job. The fear of losing our job. It is foreseen that there will be high layoffs by companies due to the impact of Covid 19 on the economy and businesses.

      Is there something that we could do about it ? Absolutely not. The current situation is beyond our control.

      However, we may try to cushion the impact and even brace ourselves and start planning for those possible uncertain time to come.

      How ?

      Consider an online business in the form of Internet Marketing. This sector can almost be considered recession-proof. The best thing is that it can be a long-term business that generates passive income even while one is asleep. It can even be a business that we leave as a legacy for our next generation when it is nurtured and well built up.
      Recession proof? ROFL.

      How long do you think that is going to hold up as businesses around the globe are forced to shut down, and people are forced to stay at home?

      Do you think they will be thinking about buying their next marketing scheme?

      I am thinking about more toilet paper just in case I am rushed to the ER; You know, I want to make sure I go in with a clean ass....

      more and more states have since been infected, and I suspect that most US states will be close to infection by the end of this month. Does that mean everyone will DIE? no, will more people die, absolutely! will some people recover, sure, but that is not a cure.

      I am afraid containment at this point may not be very effective. You can tell people they have to self-contain, but at some point, they need need go get food, and when they go out, then they will infect other people.

      Fear will be the motivator on what happens next as this virus continues to unfold daily.

      This virus does appear to be spreading faster than I can type....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11582252].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author AdmanMrWoo
        Originally Posted by dsimms View Post

        Recession proof? ROFL. ....

        So many things are connected by invisible hands.



        Remember that story about how complicated it is to make a pencil... and how no government in the world could ever make a pencil for just $.05 cents??? and yet the free market can make a pencil and lots of them, for just 5ยข cents.



        Here is the story:

        https://mises.org/library/i-pencil


        Maybe we should make a new thread about I PENCIL.


        JUST thinking
        one cup.
        Signature

        Linwood Austin, Ole' Time Direct Response Copywriter. Phone: 801-895-9598
        http://linwoodaustin.blogspot.com/20....html?q=bedell

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11582346].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Monica8297
    You are talking truth! I completely agree with you about this matter.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11581632].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ThaProphet
    Doesn't it feel like we have some new virus/epidemic just about every year..? Or maybe I'm just to young! Lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11582093].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Merion Rebeca
    Whether it is Digital advertising or online retail is grappling to handle the logistical bottlenecks and product shortages caused by the coronavirus.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11582491].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dsimms
    Some people think this virus will just go away, however, I assume nothing. if this virus does not go away, then this will be our way of life until a proven vaccine hits the market, assuming a vaccine is possible.

    Just before I heard about this virus, I was planning to buy 5 acres of land, however, I have since told the real estate agent that I am withdrawing my cash offer simply because I cant eat land, and if I end up in a crashed economy, then I would not be able to sell it either. The property is currently under contract, may be they have more money or resources than I do, however, if their income is based on local business on where they lost their job, then I guess that would be a problem for them.

    I would like to think I am not the dumbest person on the planet, but as I was watching the global virus unfold before my eyes, it became evident that buying property was no longer my highest priority...

    Does something like this change your buying behavior? You bet it does!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11585951].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author agmccall
      Originally Posted by dsimms View Post

      Some people think this virus will just go away, however, I assume nothing. if this virus does not go away, then this will be our way of life until a proven vaccine hits the market, assuming a vaccine is possible.
      Viruses have been a way of life as long as I can remember, They are always here and every year they rear their ugly head and people get sick and die.

      My question is, Why did they choose this one to choke the life out of hard working people the world over?

      I mean it can't be that serious as both houses of congress are on a 3 week paid vacation until 4/20/2020 Although maybe they are all in their secret laboratories in their basements diligently working on a cure. Or, they are at one of their vacation homes enjoying a cocktail or 12

      al
      Signature
      "Theater, sports, movies, and church are all driven primarily by an ancient desire to be in each other’s proximity." ~David Marcus~
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11590887].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    [quote I am withdrawing my cash offer simply because I cant eat land][/quote]


    Nope - but you can grow a lot of food on 5 acres...year after year.
    Signature

    Due to the current pandemic I will no longer be shaking hands or giving hugs. You may wave, bow to me or give me the finger...your choice.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11585956].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dsimms
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      [quote I am withdrawing my cash offer simply because I cant eat land]

      Nope - but you can grow a lot of food on 5 acres...year after year.[/QUOTE]

      that is true, however, since I am not in the food growing business, then that is just an after thought. The property itself is in very bad condition, and requires extensive cleanup, however, if I was to grow food, then I would have to build above ground soil pods which would require more money, energy, and effort.

      Since I am not in food growing business, I think my decision not to buy was pretty sound, and I do not think I will lose any sleep over this.

      sometimes you need to know when to make a good investment and if that investment can not produce fruit right now, then you have to be prepared to let it go....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11585966].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wentzco
    Well I will say that my sites that were in the home decor & fashion accessories niches have seen a drop in sales. I bet if you have a travel site that it was quite a shocker if you depended on affiliate commissions for hotel reservations & cruises. I do promote an online home-based business opportunity (did that before the virus situation) but don't mention Corona in any promotional messages. There definitely is a growing number of people considering a side income that hadn't thought about it before.Yep - I'm sure some supplement sales have increased as people took their health more seriously.

    Here's is an interesting note on a domain name that I've owned since 2001 (had a simple site up at one time) which has had a number of offers over the years. In the last week, I had several inquiries/offers on that domain - ImmuneBooster(.com). In a popular domain name forum a poll created yesterday asking resellers "How is your inquiry volume trending this week?" Currently about 40% of those that answered said "Domain inquiries are trending slightly higher".

    Anyway - I think this Coronavirus is a wake-up call online/offline businesses, marketers, consumers & 9-to-5ers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11586176].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dsimms
      Originally Posted by wentzco View Post

      Well I will say that my sites that were in the home decor & fashion accessories niches have seen a drop in sales. I bet if you have a travel site that it was quite a shocker if you depended on affiliate commissions for hotel reservations & cruises. I do promote an online home-based business opportunity (did that before the virus situation) but don't mention Corona in any promotional messages. There definitely is a growing number of people considering a side income that hadn't thought about it before.Yep - I'm sure some supplement sales have increased as people took their health more seriously.

      Here's is an interesting note on a domain name that I've owned since 2001 (had a simple site up at one time) which has had a number of offers over the years. In the last week, I had several inquiries/offers on that domain - ImmuneBooster(.com). In a popular domain name forum a poll created yesterday asking resellers "How is your inquiry volume trending this week?" Currently about 40% of those that answered said "Domain inquiries are trending slightly higher".

      Anyway - I think this Coronavirus is a wake-up call online/offline businesses, marketers, consumers & 9-to-5ers.
      When it comes to a health scare like this, then I would bet on Immune Booster compared to someone trying to sell marketing guides, ROFL. If you had access to a unique product then that would be best, otherwise, you could use it for something like a clickbank guide on boosting the immune system.

      and sure enough, dont use it to the point where the domain is shut down for making false claims such as a covid-19 Immune Boosting cure, ROFL.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11586196].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Princess Balestra
    Currency, value, exchange -- always in flux, always shiftin'.


    An' it is cool stuff is that way or we all be dead at 32, with only sackcloth underwear an' wooden teeth to our name.


    Deal now is ... how to ride the change, how to offer value where you can.


    As a writah person, I seein' all kindsa offers which suddenly DO NOT WORK.


    Big reframe scramble gowin' on -- to cover bases & losses, fix up reassurance stuffs, an' go help people if'n you primed so to do.


    Zen masters point up the perpityooity of transition states as a cool way to figure the Cosmos.


    What you want always is to cruise that mutable vibe for max adventures.


    But we can't choose the ride so good this time.


    We got a bumpy kinda quest w/o horses, beans or too many kinda frickin' WIZARD TYPES.



    Neato tho how plenty people bein' real generous, makin' trooly catalytic offers.


    So we gotta keep gowin' on that baby.


    Wherein can my effuse commune with similah & sparky on up so evrywan smilin'?

    Time to find out, I guess.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff togethah.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11586181].message }}
  • Video games, streaming, and other digital content are also seeing a boom in business. Business is also good for those who develop products and services for people who work from home.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11586298].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Yvon Boulianne
    innovation is the key, i don`t need money but otherwise i`ll go to every old peoples renting units placing papers on their front windows to promote my thing like just put a phone number with "CALL ME TO ORDER FOOD FOR TOMORROW" then i will take order on the phone in front of my computer and would order amazon groceries for them, i bet it would work like crazy...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11587212].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dsimms
      Originally Posted by Yvon Boulianne View Post

      innovation is the key, i don`t need money but otherwise i`ll go to every old peoples renting units placing papers on their front windows to promote my thing like just put a phone number with "CALL ME TO ORDER FOOD FOR TOMORROW" then i will take order on the phone in front of my computer and would order amazon groceries for them, i bet it would work like crazy...
      Cool idea, but it already exists...
      InstaCart
      An 8 billion dollar company.
      It must be working like crazy, ROFL.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11587338].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author agmccall
        Originally Posted by dsimms View Post

        Cool idea, but it already exists...
        InstaCart
        An 8 billion dollar company.
        It must be working like crazy, ROFL.
        My friends wife is averaging $300.00 a day in upstate NY the Saratoga area

        al
        Signature
        "Theater, sports, movies, and church are all driven primarily by an ancient desire to be in each other’s proximity." ~David Marcus~
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11590883].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Many like me have been laid off and I'm not buying anything I don't need.
    It makes sense to conserve what you have. Buying what we don't need is why people in the US once again have significant credit card debt.

    But you can get unemployment? PLUS $600/week extra for 4 months, PLUS the $1200 check coming this week?

    I have NEVER seen so many charitable groups handing out food as I have seen during this pandemic. I know two small business owners who had to close but are paying their workers FULL pay and taking the money from their personal accts to do it.

    I see so much doom and gloom here in these posts - yes, it's a tough time. Did someone promise life would be easy?...or fair? I can't believe anyone can look at what is happening and question WHY we are shut down.

    I know so many people who are STILL working...in Atlanta my younger son's employer is a huge corporation - and they have provided him with the best face masks (the whatever-95) and cases of hand sanitizers, etc. They aren't taking these from medical facilities - they contracted with a distillery and another manufacturer to PRODUCE the items and any surplus is being donated weekly to local hospitals.

    My son is working 2 days at home and 3 at his office/warehouse because he has an 'essential' job. Without announcements to the media, etc - his employer is paying anyone who does have to work at the physical facility an extra $200+ per week.

    are on a 3 week paid vacation until 4/20/2020
    which will probably be extended - and then they will come back and start complaining about what was done in their absence. Before this, I would have called those 'essential' jobs - but we're getting along fine without them.

    Instacart is doing a booming business with Kroger stores in this area. My first experience with delivery was great - my second one this weekend - not so good. Tried to call to report a problem - and 'wait time' was 59 minutes...forget it.

    Will Instacart continue to grow - or will it be replaced by large grocery chains creating their OWN apps to control quality and service?
    Signature

    Due to the current pandemic I will no longer be shaking hands or giving hugs. You may wave, bow to me or give me the finger...your choice.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11590937].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dsimms
      People are acting as if there there is an end date to this virus ie: Lets repoen for business by the end of the month...

      I to spread bad news, but this virus does not follow those guidelines, and that is because if you reopen, and just one person still has the virus, then the process will start all over again just as it did the first time...

      This country or even the world may not be able to move too much until a solid vaccine comes out that beats down the virus, and prevents it from spreading, and until that happens, I am afraid this virus will just loom over the entire world waiting for its next victim.

      You have to beat the virus as a whole, or it means nothing, and start all over again, even if it is just to prevent the ability to spread, then that would be a game changer.

      until then, it is just a dice throw anytime you go out into public...

      Whenever you feel like you are in an episode of the walking dead, then that is a problem.

      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      It makes sense to conserve what you have. Buying what we don't need is why people in the US once again have significant credit card debt.

      But you can get unemployment? PLUS $600/week extra for 4 months, PLUS the $1200 check coming this week?

      I have NEVER seen so many charitable groups handing out food as I have seen during this pandemic. I know two small business owners who had to close but are paying their workers FULL pay and taking the money from their personal accts to do it.

      I see so much doom and gloom here in these posts - yes, it's a tough time. Did someone promise life would be easy?...or fair? I can't believe anyone can look at what is happening and question WHY we are shut down.

      I know so many people who are STILL working...in Atlanta my younger son's employer is a huge corporation - and they have provided him with the best face masks (the whatever-95) and cases of hand sanitizers, etc. They aren't taking these from medical facilities - they contracted with a distillery and another manufacturer to PRODUCE the items and any surplus is being donated weekly to local hospitals.

      My son is working 2 days at home and 3 at his office/warehouse because he has an 'essential' job. Without announcements to the media, etc - his employer is paying anyone who does have to work at the physical facility an extra $200+ per week.

      which will probably be extended - and then they will come back and start complaining about what was done in their absence. Before this, I would have called those 'essential' jobs - but we're getting along fine without them.

      Instacart is doing a booming business with Kroger stores in this area. My first experience with delivery was great - my second one this weekend - not so good. Tried to call to report a problem - and 'wait time' was 59 minutes...forget it.

      Will Instacart continue to grow - or will it be replaced by large grocery chains creating their OWN apps to control quality and service?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11591073].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    I see people asking what they sell DURING the pandemic - and I think that ship sailed when the toilet paper sold out.

    If my own family is an example - I think people selling good diet plans will be in great demand as we move on and get OUT of this mess. I have not gained weight but other members of my family have gained 5-10 lbs - we are all cooking more, experimenting with food, making more desserts, etc. I've heard several people say "when this is over I'm going to need a diet" - and I don't think they are kidding.

    I agree about a vaccine but I also think as more have and survive this pandemic the virus may weaken or perhaps we will develop some level of immunity. To me, the smart thing is to categorize business and industry beyond the current 'critical and non-critical' labels. The MOST critical to starting the economy up again should be the first to open.

    Then opening can go 'up' along a previously identified path of 'most needed' at a steady page of openings that can be slowed or even paused if needed. The last thing we need are 'cowboys' opening too quickly and causing the numbers to rise rapidly again.


    One thing that will be necessary are fast/accurate testing kits available in hospitals, clinics, doctors office - perhaps pharmacies....we need to be able to keep isolating those who test positive.
    Signature

    Due to the current pandemic I will no longer be shaking hands or giving hugs. You may wave, bow to me or give me the finger...your choice.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11591242].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author myob
    The conspiracy niche is thriving, and is expected to continue long after the crisis subsides. What was once considered "fringe" speculation is rapidly going mainstream. Opportunities in this niche are spreading exponentially.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11591245].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dsimms
    You know you are going through an apoplectic event when:
    Your store clerk says WE CANT GET YOUR FAVORITE CANDY!
    Then you start chanting WTF! The End Is Near! WTF! The End Is Near!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11591266].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OnemanShow
    Well to me didn't feel much in a drop in sales ..also shipping from aliexpress has not changed much in time..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11591564].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics