Thanks to warrior forum, I finally got the courage to open an ecommerce store. So here's the story.
My dad started a small woodshop as a hobby in mid Missouri Mennonite country (they're kinda like Amish) about 6 years ago. He employs 3 people and the make custom furniture. They make nice quality stuff and are doing decent business.
He has been looking for ways to expand the business and he started asking me about an ecommerce store. So we got to talking, I did some research and settled on woocommerce. I know people have some strong opinions on shopping carts. It seemed easiest at the time and I'm not really looking to change.
They didn't really have a good place for pictures, so I handed my dad my DSLR and told him to take the furniture outside and do some shots. That's how we came up with the idea for an outdoor catalog.
Here is what I have accomplished so far:
1. A modest catalog for people to browse. It will be growing weekly as they make more stuff and take pictures.
2. Payment Gateway up and running. Credit Cards and paypal.
3. We found a shipper that will ship any of our large items anywhere in the continental US for $200. Great deal!
So now we just need to get more products up and start getting some orders. But I need some brainstorming from you guys.
Here are my plans for generating traffic.
1. My dad will be making videos of the individual products and we will post them on youtube and our product pages.
2. Craigslist ads. I believe there is a good person on WF for this, right?
3. PPC on google and bing.
4. I've also set up a blog for them to feature some of their custom work and various things.
5. I will be hiring someone shortly to write 300-400 word SEO optimized product descriptions.
6. MAYBE synchronize the store with an ebay store using one of the woocommerce plugins. Does anyone have any experience with this? How effective is it in driving traffic??
I would love to hear suggestions about driving traffic and any other comments about the site. I know the items are expensive so any advice on increasing conversions would be helpful.
I could use some creative ideas on how to use the front page slideshow most effectively.
p.s. - I was also kicking around the idea of doing a small affiliate program, so if anyone on WF is dying to get into the furniture selling niche, let me know. Haha,