osCommerce to Magento. Is it worth to move?

36 replies
  • ECOMMERCE
  • |
Hi there.
I found an infographic on visual.ly about osCommerce, Magento and the way how to migrate between those two shopping carts.
I just want to ask if it's really worth to move data from one platform to another?
Does anyone has such experience?
#magento #move #oscommerce #worth
  • Profile picture of the author aronprins
    Hey JDMellow,

    IMO osCommerce is easyer to use, but looks horrible.
    Magento looks nice, but aint easy to configere and use.

    It just depends on your needs. You might want to check Open Cart, or WooCommerce ( integrates within WordPress ).

    Hope this helps, let us know how it's coming along!
    Cheers,
    Aron Prins
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8395860].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Davidcooler
    Of course it is worth of moving.....Magento has hell lot of features built in it rather than OScommerce.........good move recommended !!

    Protect Landlords
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8396071].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JDMellow
    But does Magento user-friendly? I know that is requires strong programming skills.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8397076].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PBScott
    I am a programmer and developer and found Magento difficult to learn at first, but once you get the hang of it, it works really well.

    I stopped using it since after I spent a month entering in a thousand or so products, I found I had trouble downloading the Data file so I could edit things quickly on my computer, and it was very difficult for me to get anyone at my Host that understood the changes needed to allow me to do that. Eventually they did, but by that time I had given up on the project. This was not Magento's fault.

    I find it easier working with my own custom websites. I do most things manually and will need something like Magento in the future when I start selling in larger volume, but I am OK for now.
    Signature

    If you don't look at this => Really Funny Shirts <= you missed something in life

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8397157].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kjamesnv
      Magento was actually founded by OSCommerce developers who realized that the platform had too many flaws and limitations. Their goal was to fix all the problems in OSCommerce.

      Whether or not to move is a calculation you will have to make. Is OSC not sufficient for your needs?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8397744].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dean62
    I used magento for my ecommerce site. I would say that it is a fantastic tool but unless you have a developer on your team (as I do) then you will be paying for someone to add on various plugins you may need. They are certainly not easy enough for a novice to manage. You will ultimately need more functionality than the out of the box product provides
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8400803].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OliverTrent
    Don't move for the sake of moving, move because there is a real reason to do it. Does Magneto provide something that you think will benefit your business?
    Signature

    Lover of Ecommerce at eComLab.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8401466].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JDMellow
    I don't actually have a programmer in my team, so I think it's better from me to use hosted shopping cart. I look through the several platforms: Shopify, 3dCart and BigCommerce. As from me, Shopify is the best. I found there all I need for my store. And the main fact, that it's sooooo user-friendly!
    But another question: how to move all the data from my oscommerce store to shopify?
    Any suggestions?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8403858].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author newrykillz
    Pretty much anything you need to do on MagentoCE is already well documented. If you have a design/coding background its really not that complicated. If your product count is really low and your design/dev skills are lacking you should consider a hosted cms like MagentoGO.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8411930].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author daavidz
    If you want to do it right, you should use magento. There is no other way to say it. Use magento and you will win it. And its not that hard really.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8413820].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author OnlineStoreHelp
      Originally Posted by daavidz View Post

      If you want to do it right, you should use magento. There is no other way to say it. Use magento and you will win it. And its not that hard really.
      With all due respect daavidz, this is completely rubbish advice. Talk to many people on here that are doing quite good business not using Magento. Talk to people here using Magento that don't make enough to pay their hosting costs. Using a particular platform is no guarantee of success. Hard work, a little luck and good research are.

      Magento is a great platform if you have the time, money, resources and expertise to make it work for you. There are tons of opensource applications that work just as good with less resources overhead. Opencart, Prestashop, Spree, Tomatocart, just to name a few and even with modules to build it up to the "level of Magento" still will have faster load times and be easier to implement for the non-technical.

      There is a reason why hosted solutions are so popular are due to their low cost of entry, ease of set up and it allows the store owner to concentrate on what is important to the businesses, marketing and customer service, not maintaining their cart.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8415418].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author newrykillz
        Originally Posted by OnlineStoreHelp View Post

        With all due respect daavidz, this is completely rubbish advice. Talk to many people on here that are doing quite good business not using Magento. Talk to people here using Magento that don't make enough to pay their hosting costs. Using a particular platform is no guarantee of success. Hard work, a little luck and good research are.

        Magento is a great platform if you have the time, money, resources and expertise to make it work for you. There are tons of opensource applications that work just as good with less resources overhead. Opencart, Prestashop, Spree, Tomatocart, just to name a few and even with modules to build it up to the "level of Magento" still will have faster load times and be easier to implement for the non-technical.

        There is a reason why hosted solutions are so popular are due to their low cost of entry, ease of set up and it allows the store owner to concentrate on what is important to the businesses, marketing and customer service, not maintaining their cart.
        This. For someone that has no design or Magento experience it could turn out to be an absolute nightmare. As for MagentoGO not being the best SaaS or hosted CMS. That could be true, however. MagentoGO is a EXCELLENT stepping stone into the world of Magento. I just built a site on MGO and the CMS is certainly capable in the right hands and is very similar to Magento CE. Make no mistake - There will be a learning curve with ANY new platform. Great thread BTW. I wish my threads would get this kind of responses.

        The MGO site I just built.

        http://www.clemson4wheel.com

        A thread I started asking for recommendations on our site.

        http://www.warriorforum.com/website-...-feedback.html
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8415432].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OnlineStoreHelp
    Originally Posted by inquitech View Post

    I think go with Wordpress. Will help you get good ranking as well!

    WooCommerce can be used for ecommerce and you can use one of many sliders.

    PM me if you need further help!

    Thanks!

    Ryan
    Hmm, so you are telling him to go backwards, away from a dedicated shopping cart to a blogging platform that has been hacked to act like a shopping cart?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8416636].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author teeds01
    I think the key question between Magento vs. WooCommerce and other platforms is functionality - specifically channels.
    - Magento CE (M2EPro) is awesome for multiposting on Ebay Amazon etc.
    - WooCommerce and other platforms can only handle 1 post at a time.
    - Magento sucks for arm chair developers because it's design is more like java than php.
    - If you don't need channels (multiposting on ebay 100x a day) in my experience I would use WooCommerce just so you don't have to pay someone like my shop to fix your Magento site when someone else screws it up on their first try.
    - My caveat - I have VERY little experience with Magento Go - but I'm we're on our 7th Magento CE site. I've built many WooCommerce sites - just because it started out as a blog doesn't mean it's crap. Some plugins are total crap but the architecture itself is OK.
    - Another Magento plus is some of the extension work you can do with drop ship sellers (Unirgy) - great extension! You just can't find that in WooCommerce, OSCommerce or any other format - yet.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8416804].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hacktheworld
    Magneto is definitely better than other shopping carts out there.

    I have 3 sites on Magento. I also have experience with Drupal Commerce and Woocomerce. But these platforms are far behind Magento. I suggest you to move your site only if you are not happy with your platform because moving to other platform is not that easy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8417199].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JDMellow
    Guys many thanks for your advises. For 5 days, I've been testing different shopping carts and ways how to move data from one platform to another. I should say that all of the tested solutions have pros and cons.

    I decided to use Shopify. It has everything that I need.100+ free templates. It's totally user-friendly! Shopify also has a lot of different features, excellent security and support level.
    I don't say that this platform is ideal. I mean 1-2% extra fee for each transaction lack of free extensions. But it suits my needs.

    Talking about data migration. I used the service from the infographic, it's called Cart2Cart. As for me, it's worth to use. It transferred all my entities within several hours. However, Cart2Cart doesn't migrate template and some other stuff, but in my case it's not needed.



    Again thanks for your assistance!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8418366].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author webworksbd
    I like to add something at this conversations. I am a magento developer and working with magento 5 years. I built at least 30 most successful ecommerce site using magento.
    What I will say that is, Magento as a ecommerce platform it's really a best solution. But the problem is It's loading time. You will need very high end hosting to run this software only because ZEND. It's Library files is more than 25 MB and when a add to cart button execute then near about 126 000 mysql query ( as i tested ) runs at the same time. So it's need a heavy mysql server too. Which is costly and it's must that you will need a team to update your sites and regular changes.

    So If you are in small-medium business and have low budget then you should move with either opencart or magento go ( which really have lot of limitation ) or woocommerce for wordpress.

    I also made some opencart website and I found that it's much more easy.

    But again I love magento and I live in magento. There are lot of things I learn from it.

    Thanks
    Signature

    I am a wordpress expert. Hire me for wordpress work.
    New image slider plugin published here for wordpress

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8440239].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author overtonis
      Originally Posted by webworksbd View Post

      I like to add something at this conversations. I am a magento developer and working with magento 5 years. I built at least 30 most successful ecommerce site using magento.
      What I will say that is, Magento as a ecommerce platform it's really a best solution. But the problem is It's loading time. You will need very high end hosting to run this software only because ZEND. It's Library files is more than 25 MB and when a add to cart button execute then near about 126 000 mysql query ( as i tested ) runs at the same time. So it's need a heavy mysql server too. Which is costly and it's must that you will need a team to update your sites and regular changes.

      So If you are in small-medium business and have low budget then you should move with either opencart or magento go ( which really have lot of limitation ) or woocommerce for wordpress.

      I also made some opencart website and I found that it's much more easy.

      But again I love magento and I live in magento. There are lot of things I learn from it.

      Thanks
      I was told magento hasn't had an update in over year. Opencart on other hand seems to update every 4 months. When you say Magento needs 'heavy mysql server' would reseller account with hostgator get job done ? (only one domain would be on that account). thanks
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8441500].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kpmedia
    Hostgator is an EIG host, meaning it's severely throttled. It's not good. HG would likely suspend the account for abuse. You'd be better off at a better host.

    For Magento, with more than few dozen items, you really need a VPS for it. Magento is a resource hog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8441838].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author overtonis
      Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post

      Hostgator is an EIG host, meaning it's severely throttled. It's not good. HG would likely suspend the account for abuse. You'd be better off at a better host.

      For Magento, with more than few dozen items, you really need a VPS for it. Magento is a resource hog.
      are all VPS about same. Meaning can't I just stay with hostgator for VPS or would you recommend someone better.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8443433].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kpmedia
        Originally Posted by overtonis View Post

        are all VPS about same. Meaning can't I just stay with hostgator for VPS or would you recommend someone better.
        There are MUCH better VPS hosts. And VPS are NOT the same.

        Hostgator is a "me too" provider offering really slow and vastly overpriced OpenVZ UBC containers. You can easily find a better host for the same money, or even less, running on Xen. OpenVZ UBC is tech from 5+ years ago. Even OpenVZ vswap is better and newer.

        Xen is modern tech, and better. Same for Hyper-V and KVM.

        And you want a host that specialized in VPS, not shared hosting.

        Look at MediaTemple, LiquidWeb and Namecheap for excellent Xen providers. Knownhost and WiredTree are decent Virtuozzo based hosts.

        HG is good for nothing at all now. Sad, but so it goes.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8443894].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author overtonis
          Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post

          There are MUCH better VPS hosts. And VPS are NOT the same.

          Hostgator is a "me too" provider offering really slow and vastly overpriced OpenVZ UBC containers. You can easily find a better host for the same money, or even less, running on Xen. OpenVZ UBC is tech from 5+ years ago. Even OpenVZ vswap is better and newer.

          Xen is modern tech, and better. Same for Hyper-V and KVM.

          And you want a host that specialized in VPS, not shared hosting.

          Look at MediaTemple, LiquidWeb and Namecheap for excellent Xen providers. Knownhost and WiredTree are decent Virtuozzo based hosts.

          HG is good for nothing at all now. Sad, but so it goes.
          amazing amount of information. Thank you for that.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8443960].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author kpmedia
            Originally Posted by overtonis View Post

            amazing amount of information. Thank you for that.
            That's just the beginning too! (I try not to overload people with jargon. )

            If you need more help, just find me online.
            I refuse to give generic advice, or biased "Use Godaddy (because they pay me $100!)" advice.

            Good luck!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8444083].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author overtonis
              Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post

              That's just the beginning too! (I try not to overload people with jargon. )

              If you need more help, just find me online.
              I refuse to give generic advice, or biased "Use Godaddy (because they pay me $100!)" advice.

              Good luck!
              what is your feeling on this (sip 100)? our store is small but will still be running magento
              Magento Hosting &ndash; Nexcess
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8444483].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author malia
    Look at MediaTemple,
    Mediatemple is ok, but you can get more resources for less.

    If it were me, I'd find a hosting company that specializes in Magento because you will probably need support. Mediatemple is great in that they provide US based support, however you're "on your own" when it comes to the software you run ON your server.

    Disclaimer: I currently use MediaTemple.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8444546].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author overtonis
      Originally Posted by malia View Post

      Mediatemple is ok, but you can get more resources for less.

      If it were me, I'd find a hosting company that specializes in Magento because you will probably need support. Mediatemple is great in that they provide US based support, however you're "on your own" when it comes to the software you run ON your server.

      Disclaimer: I currently use MediaTemple.
      thats why i am really looking at nexcess they specialize in Magento hosting.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8444575].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kpmedia
    If you already know about Magento, there's no need for "Magneto hosting". That's for novices. But if that's you, a Magento newbie, it might be fine.

    Don't worry about price as much as finding a reliable host. Media Temple costs more yes, as does LiquidWeb and some others, but you're paying for quality hardware. Verify that it uses Xen, Hyper-V or KVM -- not OpenVZ. Virtuozzo isn't good either, save a few well-managed hosts.

    Be careful. Pay month to month.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8444815].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author VishalBhatt123
    If you did not satisfied the functionality of your current eCommerce store platform than you definitely move to other eCommerce platform. As example If you not satisfied the functionality and customization service of Os Commerce than you move to Magento for further development and design and get best customization service ans functionality.
    Signature
    M-Connect Media an eCommerce Development Company
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8735439].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kistenjones
      MoveosCommerce to Magento is a very useful decision for an online retailers. Magento is leading eCommerce platform. It provides every feature, which is a requirement of store. Customization,nice look, security,management everything is good take choice on Magneto.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8744244].message }}
  • Check magespeedtest.com for REAL benchmark results of actual Magento demo stores. It should help you decide a fast host optimized for Magento. Many cheap, shared hosting providers claim to offer "Magento hosting" but in reality it is just the same hosting plan that everyone signs up for. Regardless if you are hosting a family blog or a serious ecommerce site, you will be placed on the same server. It is not ideal for Magento due to too many limits. What you need is high quality hardware, fast Solid-State drives, tweaked MySQL (or Percona, preferably) and some memory cache such as Memcached or Redis. Then Magento will be very fast.

    The hosting is one of the most important factors for a online business' success, and I would be hesitant to rely on a $5/mo solution for your business.
    Signature
    ProperHost.com | Magento Hosting Specialist
    Fast SSD Magento Hosting - Save 50% with Coupon "warriors"
    LiteSpeed • Memcached • Percona • CloudFlare • Full Page Cache
    Magento Hosting Plans - Customer Reviews - Resellers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8744355].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicholas28
    Yes it is worth to move to Magento because you could get more feature as compare to oscommerce.
    Signature

    Gowebbaby Provide 360° Result Driven Web Design Services, ECommerce Websites, Online Marketing & Mobile App Development With Guaranteed Web Visitors.
    Hire interactive eCommerce developer and designer for Magento, Amazon Webstore and Wordpress or any CMS of your choice.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8746216].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shanayas
    Yes, it is good idea to move in Magento. It is not helpful to you & your business but it will helps your customers to deal with your site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8754628].message }}

Trending Topics