Ebay Customer Dispute Help!

19 replies
  • ECOMMERCE
  • |
Hey everybody,

I sell on ebay and a customer contacted paypal that the item is Not Authentic...what a liar!! I have 100% feedback and it shows I sold sunglasses to customers with happy feedback. All my items are authentic. She wants a full refund which I don't offer refunds for sunglasses.

She opened a paypal dispute...and know they are holding my funds...$180!!

I gave paypal and customer a tracking# and it arrived.

If she opens a ebay dispute will I win??

What should I do...buy the way I offered her 10% off.

Thanks
John
#customer #dispute #ebay #ebay auction #ebay business #ecommerce
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    If the dispute is over the authenticity of the sunglasses you can expect eBay to ask you to PROVE that to them with documentation. If you can you'll probably be okay.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8730266].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnPeters1983
      How do I provide that...I don't have a receipt. I pssses me off how someone could question that even when I have over 500 positive and no negative feedback.

      Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

      If the dispute is over the authenticity of the sunglasses you can expect eBay to ask you to PROVE that to them with documentation. If you can you'll probably be okay.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8730345].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
        Originally Posted by JohnPeters1983 View Post

        How do I provide that...I don't have a receipt. I pssses me off how someone could question that even when I have over 500 positive and no negative feedback.
        Feedback is irrelevant in this case. I don't know why your customer is questioning it. You have two options. Show them proof or refund the money. If you're selling name brand stuff you should have no trouble getting documentation from your supplier.

        If they've opened a dispute and you don't do either prove the glasses are what you say they are or refund the money, eBay will refund it for you. That's the way it goes.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8730640].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RobinInTexas
    Your best bet is to give the customer an opportunity to return the item and give them a full refund, including shipping (if they press for it). They are trying to scam you and eBay /payPal generally gives the customer the benefit of the doubt.
    Signature

    Robin



    ...Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just set there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8730656].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Silas Hart
      It is very difficult to provide documentation to prove the legitimacy of your item. eBay has no actual channel to provide this information to, many will say eBays' Trust and Safety department, but they don't handle this type of situation. I sold Dr. Dre Beats for about a year with full documentation of the legitimacy of the items and even had the company contact eBay on my behalf that the items were legitimate and I still lost disputes where the buyer was claiming they were fake. My profit was small, as they were indeed legitimate, so a single loss on one item at my retail price set back the sale of probably 20+ sets of Dr. Dre Beats and my loss rate was actually 1 out of 24 units. I gave up on it after eBay couldn't keep up with the fakes.

      Its also very possible the customer will not return them after they have already received their systematic refund. There is a really big problem with people buying legitimate goods online and then forcing refunds and keeping the items so they can send them to other countries and sell them at above retail price.

      Will you get your money back? Probably not. There is a sliver a chance PayPal might side with you, but based on the literally thousands of posts Ive read that are very similar to yours, and my own experiences, I doubt they will. It's simply the cost of doing business with eBay/PayPal.

      I have to ask, are you positive the items you are selling actually authentic? How did you acquire them? The actual companies that sell these glasses have an extremely small profit margin, and many retail stores use them as loss leaders.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8731445].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnPeters1983
    Thanks every body for your feedback. The scammer is getting a full refund and sending me the sunglasses back and I have to refund her $180. Ebay needs to change there policies...I have a receipt to prove they are authentic...what a shame!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8731709].message }}
  • Negative feedback is a LOT more expensive than return shipping and refunding this person on the item.

    Turn this into a positive experience for this person so you have absolutely no chance of getting a negative feedback.

    It was buyer's remorse. No big deal. If they are authentic, you can just resell them!

    Also - a bit of advice ALWAYS offer returns on EVERYTHING.

    Returns are rare, it shows you have confidence in your item, and it will increase your conversion rates.

    When you sell more items faster, you make more money.

    Take a look at this article for the study:

    Forget blame game: Free returns can increase online purchases 357% - NBC News.com
    Signature
    Famous for my '$1000 dollar challenge,' I've been teaching people how to DOMINATE on eBay for YEARS. Sell 100% of your items FOR A PROFIT. Rank higher, sell faster, sell more, and DESTROY your competition with a data-based approach. Quit listening to Guru's-in-training! Click now below!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8732468].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Night Train
      I would be willing to bet that those glasses will never come back to you. It's the classic "Get free stuff" eBay scam going on there.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8734162].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rsykes
        Find another market! EBay has been siding with scamming buyers for years. Things are a little better on Amazon. If you deal with EBay you need to take a shower!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8734201].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnPeters1983
        Yes I received them today. I was thinking the same but I told her I wanted tracking#


        Originally Posted by Night Train View Post

        I would be willing to bet that those glasses will never come back to you. It's the classic "Get free stuff" eBay scam going on there.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8740385].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Daniel J
      Originally Posted by Auctiondebteliminator View Post

      Negative feedback is a LOT more expensive than return shipping and refunding this person on the item.

      Turn this into a positive experience for this person so you have absolutely no chance of getting a negative feedback.

      It was buyer's remorse. No big deal. If they are authentic, you can just resell them!

      Also - a bit of advice ALWAYS offer returns on EVERYTHING.

      Returns are rare, it shows you have confidence in your item, and it will increase your conversion rates.

      When you sell more items faster, you make more money.

      Take a look at this article for the study:

      Forget blame game: Free returns can increase online purchases 357% - NBC News.com
      Auctiondebteliminator is right on. Dealing with the stuff on ebay sucks, but always try to put yourself in the customer's shoes and be as polite and understanding as possible (even when the customer is being unreasonable.) Customers share their experience with others. Turning a "difficult" customer into a "happy" customer can really help you in the long-term. Even if you simply avoid negative feedback, that will go a long way. It's worth it in the end.
      Signature
      Click HERE to download my FREE guide and learn step by step how I make a 6 figure (profit) income selling real products online while automating and outsourcing most of the work! (no website necessary!)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8843379].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author big tymer
    just move on from it as it happens now and again when selling on any online marketplace. at least you got the glasses back.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8742840].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gregdavidson727
    Originally Posted by JohnPeters1983 View Post

    Hey everybody,

    I sell on ebay and a customer contacted paypal that the item is Not Authentic...what a liar!! I have 100% feedback and it shows I sold sunglasses to customers with happy feedback. All my items are authentic. She wants a full refund which I don't offer refunds for sunglasses.

    She opened a paypal dispute...and know they are holding my funds...$180!!

    I gave paypal and customer a tracking# and it arrived.

    If she opens a ebay dispute will I win??

    What should I do...buy the way I offered her 10% off.

    Thanks
    John
    Give her a refund. The customer is ALWAYS right. If she leaves you negative feedback you'll lose far more. When I was selling on Ebay my sales would always be cut in half whenever I would receive negative feedback. The last time it happened my sales literally went dead for days.
    Signature
    >>> CLICK HERE <<< ====> 2,000 NICHE E-BOOKS WITH MRR & PLR RIGHTS! JUST $2.99! <====
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8743241].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EAEJR34
    Hey,you didnt do anything wrong,so you have to stand your ground.It sucks when you get your first negative but some customers try and use your record against you to get deals and in the end a person with a 99% is the same as 100 to buyers.Dont let your perfect record hold your listings hostage.just be straight with the customer like look,if you dont like the glasses,give me a negative review and send them back,just dont waste any more of my time.Once they see your not going to pee your pants over 1 neg,they will prob just keep them and move on to the next guy.
    Signature

    edward evans

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8842299].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author webitemsllc
    eBay is going to side with the buyer no matter what. If you have tracking information showing the customer received it, its usually not enough. For items over $100, ebay requires you to have a signature for delivery. What is going to happen is ebay is going to ask the customer to return the product. Once ebay see's it has been returned, the refund will go to the customer automatically. Good news is that if she doesnt escalate the dispute to ebay you will get your seller fees back. With that said, simply give the customer the option to return for a full refund. Its the first choice when responding to the dispute in the resolution center of ebay.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8845972].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jvalentin
    I had a friend who sold high end watches at about $1500 and up. He sold a watch on ebay and the user paid through paypal. Since the buyer was a couple of towns over he called my buddy and told him he was local and that he can pick up the watch and that can save him the shipping expense.

    My buddy said sure, so the buyer came to pick up the watch, my buddy grabbed his info and even took a photo copy of his ID, and he thought all was well. So he thought.

    About two days after, the buyer filed a claim through Paypal stating that he did not receive the watch.

    My buddy fought ebay and paypal to get the money, Ebay/Paypal returned the money to the buyer and the buyer had the watch. My buddy had to file fraud/theft charges on the buyer and go through small claims and criminal court to get any satisfaction.

    The mistake the buyer made is that he didn't know my buddy was a cop and that my buddy was relentless in his pursuit to make sure he get what's coming to him.

    It took 4 months back and forth but he got satisfaction and the buyer returned the watch, got a year probation with a criminal record of theft, his ebay/paypal account has been closed.

    But my buddy stated that it was hell and it took all of his inner self not to go up there with his other cop buddies and beat the crap out the guy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8846216].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mt000
      Originally Posted by jvalentin View Post

      I had a friend who sold high end watches at about $1500 and up. He sold a watch on ebay and the user paid through paypal. Since the buyer was a couple of towns over he called my buddy and told him he was local and that he can pick up the watch and that can save him the shipping expense.

      My buddy said sure, so the buyer came to pick up the watch, my buddy grabbed his info and even took a photo copy of his ID, and he thought all was well. So he thought.

      About two days after, the buyer filed a claim through Paypal stating that he did not receive the watch.

      My buddy fought ebay and paypal to get the money, Ebay/Paypal returned the money to the buyer and the buyer had the watch. My buddy had to file fraud/theft charges on the buyer and go through small claims and criminal court to get any satisfaction.

      The mistake the buyer made is that he didn't know my buddy was a cop and that my buddy was relentless in his pursuit to make sure he get what's coming to him.

      It took 4 months back and forth but he got satisfaction and the buyer returned the watch, got a year probation with a criminal record of theft, his ebay/paypal account has been closed.

      But my buddy stated that it was hell and it took all of his inner self not to go up there with his other cop buddies and beat the crap out the guy.
      Oh my.. This is beautiful to read, he got what he deserved. Thanks for sharing.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8847066].message }}

Trending Topics