10 Easy Ways to improve email open rates

by oagece
27 replies
1. Use a clean list of TARGETED , opted-in recipients. Targeting and segmenting will increase your CTR from 3% to 8% TIP : Create buyer personas and connect with them by sending messages tailored to their wants , needs , and behaviors.

2. Send from a REAL PERSON that recipients can reply to . Avoid impersonal
info@company.com email addresses - they will go straight to the cyber trash .

3. Write a KILLER subject line . 64% of people say they open emails because of the subject line. TIP : limit subject line character to 50 or less for maximum impact.

4. Tell them what to expect . Before sending emails , tell your recipients what type of content they can expect an how often they'll be hearing from you .

5. Use a attention-grabbing pre-header . This is your next best chance to give your readers a preview of whats inside and incentive to open !

6. Display early CALLTO ACTION . Display your CTA at the top so that recipients can see it without even scrolling.

7. Optimize it for mobile . 38% of all emails are opened on mobile devices . 78% of email users will access their emails via mobile 2017.

8. Don't forget to PERSONALIZE . Personalized emails improve click-through rates and conversion rates. TIP : Use your recipients name in the subject line or greeting ! ( test this out some people dont respond well to it ..but some do )

9. Give Recipients control over opting in or out , frequency of emails and content they receive . 70% of subscribers cite * too many emails as the #1 reason they unsubscribe from email .

10. TEST, MONITOR , AND ANALYZE . Study the Behavior of your recipients ! What time of day do they usually open your emails ? What links are they clicking on ? What are they interested in ?

BONUS : SOCIAL SHARING BUTTONS - Emails with social sharing buttons have a 115% higher CTR than those who don't !

#easy #email #improve #open #rates #ways
  • Great advice. Of course, it all boils down to offering recipients emails that will add value to their lives. For people to keep opening the emails you send, make sure you always offer content that is relevant to them.
    Signature

    --------------------------
    web design & development, SEO, client support, online marketing
    Everest Online Marketing

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9973557].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author oagece
      your welcome . and of course in the end it will come down to the great content you are giving out there.
      Signature
      Click here NOW If you want to learn how to make your first $5,000 in as little as 4 weeks !!! Newbie friendly . FREE LIMITED TIME ONLY !
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9973744].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BudiT
    Great advice, Oagece!

    Originally Posted by oagece View Post

    8. Don't forget to PERSONALIZE . Personalized emails improve click-through rates and conversion rates. TIP : Use your recipients name in the subject line or greeting !
    This, I'm not quite using anymore, unless I preQUALIFY my subscribers even before they subscribe.

    And this depends on the traffic source. If you're using those solo ads, then personalization is just gonna end up with something along the line of, "Hi there, asshole!"

    Personalization works really well for buyers, because they trust you!

    ~ Budi T
    Signature

    STOP wasting your money into hypes and BS.
    Turn your traffic and subscribers into White Hot Cash!

    Continue >>

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9973594].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author annewilliams123
    Thanks your points are considerable.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9976769].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author oagece
      Originally Posted by annewilliams123 View Post

      Thanks your points are considerable.
      your welcome
      Signature
      Click here NOW If you want to learn how to make your first $5,000 in as little as 4 weeks !!! Newbie friendly . FREE LIMITED TIME ONLY !
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9977814].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    And don't forget this:

    New leads is the lifeblood of the growth of your internet business. You must make sure that you get new and fresh leads every single day.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9976939].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    Originally Posted by oagece View Post


    8. Don't forget to PERSONALIZE . Personalized emails improve click-through rates and conversion rates. TIP : Use your recipients name in the subject line or greeting !
    In the MMO Niche this is a waste of time. In Non MMo niche I think it is legit, though.

    A large majority of Subs on your MMO List know already that this is automated and in fact turns many of them off from my experience.


    - Robert Andrew
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9977149].message }}
    • Originally Posted by discrat View Post

      In the MMO Niche this is a waste of time. In Non MMo niche I think it is legit, though.

      A large majority of Subs on your MMO List know already that this is automated and in fact turns many of them off from my experience.


      - Robert Andrew
      This is surely dependent on your own marketing strategy and targeting process.

      Serious people who don't scour the WSO section looking for a $7 products they expect is going to change their lives, will not think like that. Only peasants, tramps, price shopping hobos think like that. Personally, I wouldn't sell a product to a person who complains about something as ridiculous as using their name in an email.

      Question: Do YOU think like that when a "respected" and "ethical" marketer uses your name in an email? I bet you don't. So, wouldn't that mean YOU are targeting opportunity seekers instead of serious people looking for real solutions to their problems?

      I bet if 10 people on your email list, today, sent you an message, at least 8 of them will address you by name. Unless, of course, they're spammers. And if the people on your list think you might be a spammer, they're either morons, or you haven't done your job correctly.

      It's only a problem when you build lists around idiots and natural complainers.

      I mean, who on earth actually thinks like that? "Oh, I'm being tricked because I know the autoresponder service this person is using, is inserting the name field into the email". Seriously, who bloody thinks like that? Peasants, tramps and price shopping twats, that's who. And in the end, who really wants to build a business around people like that? I certainly don't.

      Is it a must? No, not at all. But to say, flat out, that it's a waste of time, just tells me that your business revolves more around opportunity seekers than serious people who want to create a serious business. You can bet your bottom dollar that, if the person on your list is complaining about using their name, it certainly WILL NOT be the only thing they complain about.

      Now, I'm not saying that you need to get the persons name. I'm just sick and tired of all this regurgitated nonsense about how people feel tricked because they know the autoresponder service inserts their name into an email. I've heard a lot of people talk this crap on here, but common sense will tell you that it's a load of old tosh. Only self entitled little brats who love to complain will have a problem with such a trivial thing like that.

      I suspect the people who do complain, are the very people who actively seek out freebies that have big monetary promises in short time-frames. Opportunity minded.

      Personally, I'm on quite a few lists that use my name, and quite a few that don't. I really couldn't care less either way. I've more important things to be thinking about than such nonsense. I suspect many others who are serious business owners are just the same.

      You have to understand that a lot of people are getting spam into their inbox on a regular basis. Once or twice I've forgotten signing up to a marketers email list, and when they sent me a message with no name field, it just looks like another spammer. Spammers rarely, if ever, send an email and use your name, because they don't know it. When I do see an email and I'm addressed by name, I'm very, very rarely, if ever, going to think that this is a spammer. In fact, if my name is being used, chances are I "willingly" signed up their list at some stage, and therefore, I'm gonna give the email a little more attention.

      I sell my own products, so I don't mind not asking for the name in the beginning, but when someone buys my product, I ALWAYS get their name. Why? Because relationships feel much more connected when people address each other by name.

      I know many people who don't use the persons name in an email, and it hasn't hurt their business (or so it would seem) so I'm not saying that it's a necessity, but to say it's pointless, is not only wrong, it's clearly short sighted.

      - Declan
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9977673].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author oagece
        Originally Posted by Declan O Flaherty View Post

        This is surely dependent on your own marketing strategy and targeting process.

        Serious people who don't scour the WSO section looking for a $7 products they expect is going to change their lives, will not think like that. Only peasants, tramps, price shopping hobos think like that. Personally, I wouldn't sell a product to a person who complains about something as ridiculous as using their name in an email.

        Question: Do YOU think like that when a "respected" and "ethical" marketer uses your name in an email? I bet you don't. So, wouldn't that mean YOU are targeting opportunity seekers instead of serious people looking for real solutions to their problems?

        I bet if 10 people on your email list, today, sent you an message, at least 8 of them will address you by name. Unless, of course, they're spammers. And if the people on your list think you might be a spammer, they're either morons, or you haven't done your job correctly.

        It's only a problem when you build lists around idiots and natural complainers.

        I mean, who on earth actually thinks like that? "Oh, I'm being tricked because I know the autoresponder service this person is using, is inserting the name field into the email". Seriously, who bloody thinks like that? Peasants, tramps and price shopping twats, that's who. And in the end, who really wants to build a business around people like that? I certainly don't.

        Is it a must? No, not at all. But to say, flat out, that it's a waste of time, just tells me that your business revolves more around opportunity seekers than serious people who want to create a serious business. You can bet your bottom dollar that, if the person on your list is complaining about using their name, it certainly WILL NOT be the only thing they complain about.

        Now, I'm not saying that you need to get the persons name. I'm just sick and tired of all this regurgitated nonsense about how people feel tricked because they know the autoresponder service inserts their name into an email. I've heard a lot of people talk this crap on here, but common sense will tell you that it's a load of old tosh. Only self entitled little brats who love to complain will have a problem with such a trivial thing like that.

        I suspect the people who do complain, are the very people who actively seek out freebies that have big monetary promises in short time-frames. Opportunity minded.

        Personally, I'm on quite a few lists that use my name, and quite a few that don't. I really couldn't care less either way. I've more important things to be thinking about than such nonsense. I suspect many others who are serious business owners are just the same.

        You have to understand that a lot of people are getting spam into their inbox on a regular basis. Once or twice I've forgotten signing up to a marketers email list, and when they sent me a message with no name field, it just looks like another spammer. Spammers rarely, if ever, send an email and use your name, because they don't know it. When I do see an email and I'm addressed by name, I'm very, very rarely, if ever, going to think that this is a spammer. In fact, if my name is being used, chances are I "willingly" signed up their list at some stage, and therefore, I'm gonna give the email a little more attention.

        I sell my own products, so I don't mind not asking for the name in the beginning, but when someone buys my product, I ALWAYS get their name. Why? Because relationships feel much more connected when people address each other by name.

        I know many people who don't use the persons name in an email, and it hasn't hurt their business (or so it would seem) so I'm not saying that it's a necessity, but to say it's pointless, is not only wrong, it's clearly short sighted.

        - Declan
        - it all comes down to different methods but i agree with you 100% !
        Signature
        Click here NOW If you want to learn how to make your first $5,000 in as little as 4 weeks !!! Newbie friendly . FREE LIMITED TIME ONLY !
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9977821].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author discrat
        Originally Posted by Declan O Flaherty View Post

        I mean, who on earth actually thinks like that? "Oh, I'm being tricked because I know the autoresponder service this person is using, is inserting the name field into the email". Seriously, who bloody thinks like that? Peasants, tramps and price shopping twats, that's who. And in the end, who really wants to build a business around people like that? I certainly don't.

        Is it a must? No, not at all. But to say, flat out, that it's a waste of time, just tells me that your business revolves more around opportunity seekers than serious people who want to create a serious business. You can bet your bottom dollar that, if the person on your list is complaining about using their name, it certainly WILL NOT be the only thing they complain about.
        Question, who said anything about being tricked or worrying about others thinking they have been tricked ?

        I don't give a sh@t if anyone things Iam tricking them or not. (Because I know Iam not and I could give a ratsa$$ anyway.)

        That is totally irrelevant to me and more importantly to this Argument

        The bottom line is there is just no point in doing it. What would be the point ?

        To be personable or put off an air that you are being personable ?

        Bullshit. Thats a ridiculous notion. They know you are NOT being personable.

        So what the hell is the point ? Please elaborate...

        Maybe in some kind of delusional way people think it is helping their business and growing a relationship with their List !

        Rubbish !!

        The fact is there is no point doing it in a Market like MMO niche (at least in the initial stages). Whether that be regurgitated bullsh@T or NOT

        And yes, it is unequivocally a total waste of time !!




        P.S. Btw, the ones who Iam on their List do NOT in fact use Personalization; off the top of my head.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9978060].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author discrat
          Originally Posted by Declan O Flaherty View Post




          You have to understand that a lot of people are getting spam into their inbox on a regular basis. Once or twice I've forgotten signing up to a marketers email list, and when they sent me a message with no name field, it just looks like another spammer. Spammers rarely, if ever, send an email and use your name, because they don't know it. When I do see an email and I'm addressed by name, I'm very, very rarely, if ever, going to think that this is a spammer. In fact, if my name is being used, chances are I "willingly" signed up their list at some stage, and therefore, I'm gonna give the email a little more attention.
          This is a crazy a$$ assertion. I get plenty of Spammers who try to sneak one by me by using this EXACT notion you are bringing up; a faulty notion nonetheless you use to try to bolster your claim that Personalization can be effective.

          Spammers use first names to get you to open their emails all the time. What planet are you living on ? LOL

          Year after year they are getting more and more sophisticated with their elaborate schemes.

          This just does not hold water as a reason why to use Personalization in a Subject line of an email.

          Besides all they have to see is my name sending the email and that usually does the Trick as far as being important enough to open ;>)

          If you have to worry about using Personalization as a important variable to get people to Open your emails more often then you as a Marketer are NOT doing your job


          Originally Posted by Declan O Flaherty View Post


          Serious people who don't scour the WSO section looking for a $7 products they expect is going to change their lives, will not think like that. Only peasants, tramps, price shopping hobos think like that. Personally, I wouldn't sell a product to a person who complains about something as ridiculous as using their name in an email.
          Good lord, talk about regurgitated bullshit.... i.e I can only be successful and altruistic if the people I interact with only want to build a real business.

          blah...blah..blah

          This is a bunch of mumbo jumbo BS people talking out of the side of their ass say and is quite exhausting to hear from the IM crowd on a never ending constant basis.

          Here is the facts so listen closely ....there is always going to be a combination of both.

          More so Opportunity Seekers than Business Builders, and that's just totally based on numbers.

          So lets keep it real here

          Obviously the most money made is with the ones who are serious about it . Those are the ones you get out of bed for
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9978122].message }}
        • Originally Posted by discrat View Post

          Question, who said anything about being tricked or worrying about others thinking they have been tricked ?

          I don't give a sh@t if anyone things Iam tricking them or not. (Because I know Iam not and I could give a ratsa$$ anyway.)

          That is totally irrelevant to me and more importantly to this Argument

          The bottom line is there is just no point in doing it. What would be the point ?

          To be personable or put off an air that you are being personable ?

          Bullshit. Thats a ridiculous notion. They know you are NOT being personable.

          So what the hell is the point ? Please elaborate...

          Maybe in some kind of delusional way people think it is helping their business and growing a relationship with their List !

          Rubbish !!

          The fact is there is no point doing it in a Market like MMO niche (at least in the initial stages). Whether that be regurgitated bullsh@T or NOT

          And yes, it is unequivocally a total waste of time !!




          P.S. Btw, the ones who Iam on their List do NOT in fact use Personalization; off the top of my head.
          You've read what exactly I think about this. I certainly wouldn't expect you to agree with it.

          As long as the person doesn't feel they are being tricked b'cause the autoresponder service inserts their name automatically, then obviously they shouldn't have a problem with it, should they?

          I quite clearly stated that it's not a necessity. I said there's a benefit, hence the reason you would prob'ly grab their name when they sign up as a customer. Why? Because the better you get acquainted with people, the better chance they are going to address you, and expect you to address them, by their first name. That's a benefit. You can dick around and argue the point all day long, but you still would be wrong. Not because I say so; it's common sense.

          Fact is (and it is a fact of human nature) that people respond much better to any communication when their name is used. It's the same when you call out your target audience. You can argue the point logically, but people don't respond logically when their name is used, it's all emotion baby. And if they are scrutinizing logically, they most certainly are people who are looking for something to complain about. And that's fine, there are a lot of them out there. I just don't want anything to do with them.

          You're contradicting yourself anyway when yoiu say it's okay to ask for the name in any other market excepot MMO. Why would it be any different? Because they know the autoresponder insets their name? Nonsense. Unless, of course, you're targeting opportunity seeking self entitled spoiled little brats. Normal people don't sit there and say "oh wait, that person doesn't really know my name, I feel cheated", do they? Seriously, who thinks like that? I'll tell you who thinks like that: Opportunity seekers who have been scammed and spammed to death. And why have they been scammed and spammed to death? Because they are NOT serious business owners. They are people who sign up for all the crap email lists that make hyped up promises.

          I'm a serious business owner. I also know that the autoresponder service inserts my name automatically, but I sure as hell don't feel like I'm being tricked when my name is used. Why? Because I'm not a douche and I don't sign up to every Tom Dick and Harriet's email list looking for freebies all day long. I sign up to reputable business owners lists that I respect. That's where my head is at - and that's who I want on my own email list.

          So NO. People don't sit around thinking, "Oh wait, you don't know my name for real, you're tricking me into thinking that you do". And again, yes, if you have a problem with your name being used because you know the A.S. inserts the name automatically; you're over-thinking and you've spent too much time being dicked around by asshole marketers who want nothing more than to fleece you for what you're worth. Bottom line: if you're an ethical marketer and you know how to write engaging, personality driven emails without the hype and drivel, you'll have no worries or problems using a persons first name in an email... and... they'll feel like the emails are much more personal. However, it starts from WHO you target in the first place. And it also matters what copy and advertising message you use to attract these people. But that's for another rant.

          Besides, people respond EMOTIONALLY to their name, not LOGICALLY, unless they are EXPECTING to be scammed and spammed. Think on that, sweet cheeks.

          This is only an assumption, but I bet that you'll find more people in the WSO section of this forum who would complain about such things, rather than serious people looking to create a serious business. Go figure. I also bet that's a very accurate assumption.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979495].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnfsander
    I never use email marketing method but i love to learn this way of marketing. In this scenario your shared technical points are very informative. I think the most important point is that the design of email template should be responsive and attractive. Because receiver don't like to open attachments.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9978783].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author oagece
      Originally Posted by johnfsander View Post

      I never use email marketing method but i love to learn this way of marketing. In this scenario your shared technical points are very informative. I think the most important point is that the design of email template should be responsive and attractive. Because receiver don't like to open attachments.
      Everyone likes their name being called out or seen.its our ego. its not a must but seeing your name in a email will draw your eye specially if you have allot of emails coming in your inbox.
      Some people just like to think you're talking to them specifically even if they know you're really not.
      AND ya having everything together in one page is def a big plus instead of having them open diff attachments !
      Signature
      Click here NOW If you want to learn how to make your first $5,000 in as little as 4 weeks !!! Newbie friendly . FREE LIMITED TIME ONLY !
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9978898].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RealCasher
    Good tips, the Killer subject line is the most important for a better CTR.
    Signature
    Get Weekly Payouts Stream -Using- My Autopilot Money Machine


    Discover & Jump into the 2015's Hottest Income Opportunity -- (Viral Stuff.)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9981853].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DABK
      I don't like seeing my name in the subject line. It's either my brother screaming at me or a marketer.

      A bunch of people I know don't like to see their name in the subject line. For the 2nd reason I don't.

      However, a bunch of people I know do like it.

      I'd change #8 to: test to see if using their name in the subject line increases open rates.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9982066].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dizi23
    Excellent tips. Will definitely implement them in my email marketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9982213].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ArmandoBSteele
    Great Advise.... Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9982310].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author oagece
    your welcome
    Signature
    Click here NOW If you want to learn how to make your first $5,000 in as little as 4 weeks !!! Newbie friendly . FREE LIMITED TIME ONLY !
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9983202].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisNosal
    Banned
    Originally Posted by oagece View Post

    1. Use a clean list of TARGETED , opted-in recipients. Targeting and segmenting will increase your CTR from 3% to 8% TIP : Create buyer personas and connect with them by sending messages tailored to their wants , needs , and behaviors.

    2. Send from a REAL PERSON that recipients can reply to . Avoid impersonal
    info@company.com email addresses - they will go straight to the cyber trash .

    3. Write a KILLER subject line . 64% of people say they open emails because of the subject line. TIP : limit subject line character to 50 or less for maximum impact.

    4. Tell them what to expect . Before sending emails , tell your recipients what type of content they can expect an how often they'll be hearing from you .

    5. Use a attention-grabbing pre-header . This is your next best chance to give your readers a preview of whats inside and incentive to open !

    6. Display early CALLTO ACTION . Display your CTA at the top so that recipients can see it without even scrolling.

    7. Optimize it for mobile . 38% of all emails are opened on mobile devices . 78% of email users will access their emails via mobile 2017.

    8. Don't forget to PERSONALIZE . Personalized emails improve click-through rates and conversion rates. TIP : Use your recipients name in the subject line or greeting ! ( test this out some people dont respond well to it ..but some do )

    9. Give Recipients control over opting in or out , frequency of emails and content they receive . 70% of subscribers cite * too many emails as the #1 reason they unsubscribe from email .

    10. TEST, MONITOR , AND ANALYZE . Study the Behavior of your recipients ! What time of day do they usually open your emails ? What links are they clicking on ? What are they interested in ?

    BONUS : SOCIAL SHARING BUTTONS - Emails with social sharing buttons have a 115% higher CTR than those who don't !

    I didn't see anything about writing organized, effective communication that clearly communicates your idea, so your customer doesn't get lost, or lose interest in your content, or focus on quality, or getting your customer results and showing why your product is valuable.

    This seems more like it's for people who do whatever will get their customer to give them make money, that's all they think about, and they show no focus to the quality of their products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9983212].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author oagece
      Originally Posted by ChrisNosal View Post

      I didn't see anything about writing organized, effective communication that clearly communicates your idea, so your customer doesn't get lost, or lose interest in your content, or focus on quality, or getting your customer results and showing why your product is valuable.

      This seems more like it's for people who do whatever will get their customer to give them make money, that's all they think about, and they show no focus to the quality of their products.
      I agree with you those are important . But these were just 10 easy ways to increase your open rates.
      Signature
      Click here NOW If you want to learn how to make your first $5,000 in as little as 4 weeks !!! Newbie friendly . FREE LIMITED TIME ONLY !
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9984295].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author osensnolf
    Another thing. Have a company such as EmailAnswers.com clean your data from known complainers. If you are using an ESP, you have an advantage but if you are using your own server, move active segments of your list to better servers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9987108].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author annewilliams123
    Great Ideas, some more points can be added, but still you have shared most of them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9987998].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vsta
    Oh, that's really useful! Thanks a lot oagece. I'm just about to start working on my first email campaign..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9988432].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author christina21maria
    I am not a big fan of names in the subject line. I quickly identify it as a tactic and email blast. For me it's more reputation. Are you providing me relevant and engaging content. If you are providing me with something that;s beneficial for me, I'll continue to open your emails. If you don't, I'm opting out.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9994248].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kalambur
    Nice tips.
    I'm starting to build my list. I have 5 subscribers )))
    Yesterday I sent the first message. And one of them opened my email )))
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9994639].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by Kalambur View Post

      Nice tips.
      I'm starting to build my list. I have 5 subscribers )))
      Yesterday I sent the first message. And one of them opened my email )))
      Hey, you gotta start somewhere

      Keep it going and don't look back



      - Robert Andrew
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9994647].message }}

Trending Topics