You're wasting money if you don't use this technique...

by sprice
15 replies
What headline below is more powerful?


"Make $1,000 Over The Next 30 Days!"

"Don't Miss Out On $1,000 Next Month!"



Short answer, the second one. The power of loss is greater than the power of gain. People hate missing out on things, and that includes missing out on an opportunity.

Trying to convince someone that they could miss out on an opportunity is easier and causes more interest than trying to convince that same person how great the opportunity is.

When promoting products or trying to get your readers to take action, use the fear of loss instead of the promise of gain. This will make them feel as if they're missing out if they don't take action.

Notice the headline for this post?
#money #technique #wasting
  • Profile picture of the author edvisual
    Originally Posted by sprice View Post

    What headline below is more powerful?


    "Make $1,000 Over The Next 30 Days!"

    "Don't Miss Out On $1,000 Next Month!"



    Short answer, the second one. The power of loss is greater than the power of gain. People hate missing out on things, and that includes missing out on an opportunity.

    Trying to convince someone that they could miss out on an opportunity is easier and causes more interest than trying to convince that same person how great the opportunity is.

    When promoting products or trying to get your readers to take action, use the fear of loss instead of the promise of gain. This will make them feel as if they're missing out if they don't take action.

    Notice the headline for this post?
    Not a bad point of view, thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10111457].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RahimaMal
    Wow, great technique. Thanks for sharing.

    Just imagine internet marketing without all the copywriters...we'd all be doomed
    Signature

    ...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10115427].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kevineverett
      That is great advice. Thanks for sharing. These little bits of information can really help you become great at what you do.

      Maybe add in a bit of the 'Herd Mentality' too. For example "Join the thousands of other people who won't lose out on ....."
      Signature
      10 Easy Ways To Get More Traffic
      10 Free Videos For You To Watch
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10116234].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    Originally Posted by sprice View Post

    "Make $1,000 Over The Next 30 Days!"

    "Don't Miss Out On $1,000 Next Month!"
    That's great advice Scott. Made me stop and think that this might work. I will try it out.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10116657].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmericanMuscleTA
    Test the headlines out and let us know the results!!!


    That's the real test.
    Signature

    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com
    www.BibleAndFriends.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10117079].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author winnermarketing
    Fear
    is always been the most important marketing killer technique!
    Signature

    Free Guide to Make Money Online [Now!]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10117174].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tim Alwell
    Yeah this is classic fear of loss right here.

    Great advice.

    I used to do this to people ALL the time when I was knocking on doors selling cable and internet.

    "Installation is normally $180, but since I'm at your door I get to waive that for you today. It's only good through me."

    Or the classic body language fear of loss technique...simply walking away or signaling with your body that your about to leave.

    Funny how good it works.
    Signature
    Free Video Reveals My 7-Step Plan To Grow Your Audience
    & Create A Hyper-Engaged Email List For Your Affiliate Marketing Business!

    https://tipsfromtim.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10117547].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DonteEvans
    Very good advice OP. This really makes a lot of sense. Thanks so much.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10123353].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author James3013
    Thanks great advice!
    Also rewarding subject lines seem to stand out as well.
    eg. Congratulations (Name), You have made it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10127547].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kevineverett
      Originally Posted by James3013 View Post

      Thanks great advice!
      Also rewarding subject lines seem to stand out as well.
      eg. Congratulations (Name), You have made it!
      Personally, if I get an e-mail with that kind of subject line, it is deleted straight away as I already know it is an unsolicited promotional type message.
      Signature
      10 Easy Ways To Get More Traffic
      10 Free Videos For You To Watch
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10127559].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author James3013
        Originally Posted by kevineverett View Post

        Personally, if I get an e-mail with that kind of subject line, it is deleted straight away as I already know it is an unsolicited promotional type message.
        Thanks for your opinion.
        I believe that maybe newbies can relate more to it, cuz it would give them a feeling of uniqueness and that's essential to build a relationship with your list, where every person on your list must feel that he is a special one.
        The reason why many such headlines fail is that maybe people don't provide quality content inside the email, that glues them.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10127651].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author James3013
          Moreover, the market is quite saturated, and the moment you portray yourself as a greedy 'SALESPERSON' you lose attention no matter how catchy your headlines are!
          Hence, I would never shoot up with the offer straight away, unless I have built a strong connection with my list by offering them valuable resources for the first few e-mails and making them realize that 'resources' provided is worth more than what they opted-in for
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10127662].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author eugenedm
        Originally Posted by kevineverett View Post

        Personally, if I get an e-mail with that kind of subject line, it is deleted straight away as I already know it is an unsolicited promotional type message.
        Yes, but you would delete both right?

        He's trying to say that one is a better choice than the other!

        That's a great one! thank you for sharing!
        Signature

        WARNING: A 50 Million Dollar Man Taught Me His Secret... Which Resulted 6,000 Sign-ups on My Email List.

        "It's easier than you think..."

        => Watch this video here...
        Build Your List to 6,000 Subscribers

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10134962].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Edwin Torres
    Thats why countdown timers slowly ticking away on a page boost conversions so much. People don't want it to hit '0' and not get the amazing discount promised on the page.

    Every time I use scarcity/fear of loss I make more money.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10130688].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sergey kolontay
      Originally Posted by Edwin Torres View Post

      Thats why countdown timers slowly ticking away on a page boost conversions so much. People don't want it to hit '0' and not get the amazing discount promised on the page.

      Every time I use scarcity/fear of loss I make more money.
      I couldn't agree more, Edwin. Marketers often implement countdown timer on giveaways page and it works very good.
      Signature
      I am looking for beta testers for OllyBee.com

      In nutshell, it's hide-and-seek game for websites. You can collect leads and decrease bounce rate in a funny way. Just hide graphical objects on your website and suggest visitors to seek them.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10133480].message }}

Trending Topics