What do I do with contest list suscribers?

by irawr Banned
5 replies
I PMed someone here I thought would be pretty knowledgeable about this but for one reason or another they never responded.

Okay so, I've been running giveaway type contests for quite some time now. Honestly I don't do these to build up a list but really just to get some exposure to new sites.

I have a bunch of lists, some are pretty dated, over a year old.

The problem I'm having is that I can't really make jack from them after the giveaway ends. Mailing offers in the niche that matches the site doesn't really seem to work on the contest lists. It seems like about 95% of the list just signs up for a chance at the prize and the open rate is awful. Mailing the list about updates to the site sends some traffic so I keep at it.

Trying to keep them engaged with a loop doesn't seem to work, I feel like I'm trying to keep the attention of a bunch of rocks.

I'm at the point where I'm thinking about just deleting the lists entirely.

Optionally I could start mailing free CPA offers. I'm just trying to figure out what to do with these lists here. Please don't respond with something like "Sell them to me" or "Sell Solos."
#contest #list #suscribers
  • Profile picture of the author ProducerK
    Have you considered the possibility that you are not a good mailer?
    And the emails you are sending out are being blocked or spamboxed?
    Have you checked the content of your messages to be friendly?
    Why have you waited a year to get back in touch with these people?

    I dont think what you are asking is as black and white as you are portraying it.
    What are you using to mail the leads?
    Signature
    | Exclusive Leads | Email & SMS Systems | Specialized Consulting |
    Skype: Kyle.Shea.777 | Buy Our SMS Data Feed
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10575874].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author irawr
      Banned
      Originally Posted by ProducerK View Post

      Have you considered the possibility that you are not a good mailer?
      And the emails you are sending out are being blocked or spamboxed?
      Have you checked the content of your messages to be friendly?
      Why have you waited a year to get back in touch with these people?

      I dont think what you are asking is as black and white as you are portraying it.
      What are you using to mail the leads?
      Look, I'm not an idiot.

      No it's not that bad since I still use the lists to generate traffic to my sites but I can't seem to get them to convert on anything that the normal lists my sites generate do.

      They signed up to the list for a chance at a free prize, I'm not expecting identical conversion rates, but the difference between the normal subscribers just seems a bit much. I'll keep mailing them because it makes money but it's definitely very ineffective by comparison.

      This response is the kind of garbage response I was hoping to not get. The title of the thread isn't "Hey I'm new and I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, Help!"

      I was really hoping somebody with experience running contests had a strategy that they didn't mind sharing. I realized upon making this thread that my strategy was flawed and if nobody is willing to help me, I'll just test it myself. It's not that difficult for me.

      I realize this is warriorforums but not everyone on here is a new. I'm pretty sure I answered my own question and now realize that asking a question here that isn't extremely basic is probably a mistake.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10575959].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ProducerK
    Listen, I am not trying to insult you, but based on your original post, the points I made to you were valid.

    Let me take a new angle with you.

    Promoting free giveaways, your targeting a specific demographic, normally one that is of very low value. People who are entering contests and sweepstakes are likely people with low disposable incomes, and are doing this on some level of regularity.

    Let me give you another example, payday loans. Every Joe Schmoe with a call center always wants payday loan leads to pitch these users with new loans for. Do you want to know why payday loan leads have some of the worst connect rates, because they get caught in the cycle, change their phone numbers, emails, jobs, etc, and try it all again. Payday loan business is a broke business, the people are broke, and they are low low low value clients.

    If mailing is not the issue, I think you can see what I am getting at here.

    The people who are submitting their info are using email accounts that are getting bombarded with 1000 emails a day from hundreds and hundreds of websites and coreg feeds, which makes navigating all the emails on a daily basis a near full time job. This is why your response is terrible IMO.

    Rathen then offering these people a chance to win something free, why not engage them in a way where they have to be engaged with you. Charge a small monthly membership fee to be part of the sweepstakes offers, create a customer portal and offer them value. This is going to weed out a lot of the junk people you dont want and who never ever make you any money. I think you will find the results to be significantly better.

    Targeting people that are looking for something free and expecting them to convert into substantial revenue and income for you is a novel concept, but rarely will work in reality.
    Signature
    | Exclusive Leads | Email & SMS Systems | Specialized Consulting |
    Skype: Kyle.Shea.777 | Buy Our SMS Data Feed
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10577612].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author irawr
      Banned
      Originally Posted by ProducerK View Post

      Listen, I am not trying to insult you, but based on your original post, the points I made to you were valid.

      Let me take a new angle with you.

      Promoting free giveaways, your targeting a specific demographic, normally one that is of very low value. People who are entering contests and sweepstakes are likely people with low disposable incomes, and are doing this on some level of regularity.

      Let me give you another example, payday loans. Every Joe Schmoe with a call center always wants payday loan leads to pitch these users with new loans for. Do you want to know why payday loan leads have some of the worst connect rates, because they get caught in the cycle, change their phone numbers, emails, jobs, etc, and try it all again. Payday loan business is a broke business, the people are broke, and they are low low low value clients.

      If mailing is not the issue, I think you can see what I am getting at here.

      The people who are submitting their info are using email accounts that are getting bombarded with 1000 emails a day from hundreds and hundreds of websites and coreg feeds, which makes navigating all the emails on a daily basis a near full time job. This is why your response is terrible IMO.

      Rathen then offering these people a chance to win something free, why not engage them in a way where they have to be engaged with you. Charge a small monthly membership fee to be part of the sweepstakes offers, create a customer portal and offer them value. This is going to weed out a lot of the junk people you dont want and who never ever make you any money. I think you will find the results to be significantly better.

      Targeting people that are looking for something free and expecting them to convert into substantial revenue and income for you is a novel concept, but rarely will work in reality.
      I think you understand the problem.

      I'm trying to shift gears with the lists completely.

      For the most part, these people are not buyers and they're not interested in my niche and trying to target the minuscule amount of people who are interested is what I'm doing wrong here.

      It's not really what I wanted to do with these but after a giveaway ends I'm going to try shifting the goal of the list into a list that promotes low income offers. I talked with an AM and they were pretty helpful.

      The reason I didn't want to do this is because I wanted to believe that some of them were interested in my site, but yeah I think I'm high.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10578702].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Originally Posted by irawr View Post

    I PMed someone here I thought would be pretty knowledgeable about this but for one reason or another they never responded.
    They probably don't know you've sent them a PM.

    Warrior Forum turned off PM notifications, so unless someone just happens to look at their PM page they won't know they have any new PMs.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10578721].message }}

Trending Topics