To me its like chewing with your mouth open or texting while people are talking to you, its just plain old rude and you should cut it out right now.
The same stands for bad manners in email marketing, its such a turnoff but many arent even aware that they are even doing it.
Heres a list of worst practices to be aware for newbies or for anyone intrigued if they are using poor etiquette in their eMarketing.
- Dont buy lists - this is a big one, but it seems people still do it. If people have not subscribed for your email they dont want it. Simple. Dont buy lists, its last and its bad practice.
- Take note of bounces - each time you get a email bounce ensure you manage this and remove them after the first bounce, being lazy and leaving them will make you appear like a bad sender and tarnish your reputation with your email service.
- Dont EVER sell lists to anyone - this is just plain simple - forget it.
- Dont hide the unsubscribe details - its your recipients right to be able to remove themselves from the list and its your duty to be able to provide a clear way to do this.
- Stay clear from sending too many emails - frequency is an art and you should be careful not to send too many emails if there is no reason for it. Over sending is a sure fire way to get huge amounts of unsubscribes.
- Dont forget how important the subject line is in an email - this is your time to sing from the roof tops and if you fair to have a catchy or engaging subject you can forget people even opening up your email.
- Make sure you check your spelling and grammar - youll appear very unprofessional if there are spelling or grammar issues in your emails, make sure you check and recheck this and ask colleagues to do this for you too. Testing and retesting is a great way to ensure your email is squeaky clean and clear of any errors.
- Massive images that clog up the email - stay clear of sending or attaching huge files or images to emails, add a link or imbed it instead so your recipient can receive it without it bouncing.
I know there are plenty more, but this is a start at least.
Feel free to add more to the list of worst eMarketing practices too.
What practices really annoy you in eMarketing?