DONT EVER WRITE IN CAPITALS + more email marketing worst practices

32 replies
Im a massive fan of good communication, online and offline and it really ticks me off when colleagues, clients and anyone for that matter have bad email etiquette.

To me its like chewing with your mouth open or texting while people are talking to you, its just plain old rude and you should cut it out right now.

The same stands for bad manners in email marketing, its such a turnoff but many arent even aware that they are even doing it.

Heres a list of worst practices to be aware for newbies or for anyone intrigued if they are using poor etiquette in their eMarketing.
  • Dont buy lists - this is a big one, but it seems people still do it. If people have not subscribed for your email they dont want it. Simple. Dont buy lists, its last and its bad practice.
  • Take note of bounces - each time you get a email bounce ensure you manage this and remove them after the first bounce, being lazy and leaving them will make you appear like a bad sender and tarnish your reputation with your email service.
  • Dont EVER sell lists to anyone - this is just plain simple - forget it.
  • Dont hide the unsubscribe details - its your recipients right to be able to remove themselves from the list and its your duty to be able to provide a clear way to do this.
  • Stay clear from sending too many emails - frequency is an art and you should be careful not to send too many emails if there is no reason for it. Over sending is a sure fire way to get huge amounts of unsubscribes.
  • Dont forget how important the subject line is in an email - this is your time to sing from the roof tops and if you fair to have a catchy or engaging subject you can forget people even opening up your email.
  • Make sure you check your spelling and grammar - youll appear very unprofessional if there are spelling or grammar issues in your emails, make sure you check and recheck this and ask colleagues to do this for you too. Testing and retesting is a great way to ensure your email is squeaky clean and clear of any errors.
  • Massive images that clog up the email - stay clear of sending or attaching huge files or images to emails, add a link or imbed it instead so your recipient can receive it without it bouncing.

I know there are plenty more, but this is a start at least.

Feel free to add more to the list of worst eMarketing practices too.

What practices really annoy you in eMarketing?
#capitals #email #marketing #practices #worst #write
  • Profile picture of the author BlossMart
    UPPER CASE IS SUPER ANNOYING IN EMAILS.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10903603].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sendizo
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10903608].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
      Originally Posted by sendizo View Post

      RE: n FWD: in marketing subject lines. basically misleading emails
      Oh yeah, that's a good one. So annoying.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10903616].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tonytran1103
    How about sending emails to published email? I mean their emails are published on their contact like Facebook, or Google... Can we contact them? How can we know that they allow us to send emails?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10903852].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
      Originally Posted by tonytran1103 View Post

      How about sending emails to published email? I mean their emails are published on their contact like Facebook, or Google... Can we contact them? How can we know that they allow us to send emails?
      You need people to subscribe, that is the whole point.

      Scraping info and sending an email isn't really ideal.

      Maybe put the shoe on the other foot, would you like anyone and everyone to send you possibly thousands of emails just because you have listed your email on your social media accounts or website?

      Honestly, a more organic sign up process where people elect to receive your marketing if far more ethical and the way to go.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10904467].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ivanadee
    It's good that you emphasize about sending too many emails because if it's too many, it's difficult for the readers to find the one that really important and eventually, they will unsubscribe because your email annoys them
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10903944].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
      Originally Posted by ivanadee View Post

      It's good that you emphasize about sending too many emails because if it's too many, it's difficult for the readers to find the one that really important and eventually, they will unsubscribe because your email annoys them
      I think it's a really important point and something to consider.

      If you've got a strategy in place and push notifications it's one thing but a barrage of emails stalking your lead is just going to get you unsubscribed.

      I would suggest testing the frequency of course, however it is fairly easy to know what could be too much and what is fair.

      Daily emails are plain annoying whereas ones that fit the campaign are of course fair enough.

      I think some people just go a bit overboard.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10904476].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author desireedavid
      Marketers who send too many emails is annoying. Quality still trumps quantity -- anywhere you look. When I get too many emails, I don't get excited about getting their emails anymore, and rarely ever read them. I think 2 to 3 times a month (or every other week) is good frequency. Even once a week is sometimes too much for me.

      This way, clients look forward to the great content you share with them.
      Signature
      “Creativity is intelligence having fun.” – Albert Einstein
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10904581].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author mrdeedreid
        2-3x/month? That's interesting. I've heard people mention sending an email 1-2/day. They seemed to have good reasons and some proof to back up their claims.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10904628].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
          Originally Posted by mrdeedreid View Post

          2-3x/month? That's interesting. I've heard people mention sending an email 1-2/day. They seemed to have good reasons and some proof to back up their claims.
          Yep, of course if it's in context - it's all relative.

          We should know what the 'right' amount is and if you don't testing is key.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10904723].message }}
      • Originally Posted by desireedavid View Post

        Marketers who send too many emails is annoying. Quality still trumps quantity -- anywhere you look. When I get too many emails, I don't get excited about getting their emails anymore, and rarely ever read them. I think 2 to 3 times a month (or every other week) is good frequency. Even once a week is sometimes too much for me.

        This way, clients look forward to the great content you share with them.
        2 to 3 times a month is simply not enough; in fact, it's ridiculous.

        If you mailed more, you have more chance of catching people when THEY are ready to buy.

        Who cares if people unsubscribe?

        We build lists NOT to sell to everyone, but to sell to the RIGHT people who actually DO want to read your emails.

        What happens if I'm ready to buy and you're NOT inside my inbox? Do you honestly think I'm waiting around for you? Or am I buying from someone else? Unless you have a one-of-a-kind product that I absolutely MUST have, with information I can't get anywhere else online, then maybe. I sincerely doubt that's the case though.

        People don't wake up every morning thinking of buying from you. If you're not in their world, you are forgotten about very, very quickly. Especially since the scarcest commodity online these days, is getting attention.

        You won't make more by being in front of your prospects less.

        Newsflash: there are NO empty inboxes. Everyone gets daily emails regardless. What's annoying is getting CRAP daily emails from the same marketers.

        Emailing 2 to 3 times a month means you have 27 to 28 chances a month of NOT making the sale when people are ready to buy.

        Ask people would they prefer less emails and they'll most likely tell you, YES, they would prefer less emails. However, those very same people will spend LESS with you if you listen to them.

        Ask them if they want more free content, and they'll tell you, YES, we want more free content. However, they never value it, take action with it, and most likely it's killing their chances of success because free content, for the most part, is worthless.

        Another thing: If you truly have something valuable to sell to your market; something you know will help them; why would you ONLY give them 2 to 3 chances a month to buy it?

        That makes no sense whatsoever.

        I'm not saying to email every day, I'm simply saying that the more you're in front of your audience, the more likely they are to buy from you providing you aren't pestering them with shit that doesn't interest them.

        Email is still the most powerful selling tool online. Social media doesn't come close, but I bet these same people who email less, are in front of their audience more, on these platforms.

        Crazy.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10904892].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
          Originally Posted by Declan O Flaherty View Post

          2 to 3 times a month is simply not enough; in fact, it's ridiculous.

          If you mailed more, you have more chance of catching people when THEY are ready to buy.

          Who cares if people unsubscribe?

          We build lists NOT to sell to everyone, but to sell to the RIGHT people who actually DO want to read your emails.

          What happens if I'm ready to buy and you're NOT inside my inbox? Do you honestly think I'm waiting around for you? Or am I buying from someone else? Unless you have a one-of-a-kind product that I absolutely MUST have, with information I can't get anywhere else online, then maybe. I sincerely doubt that's the case though.

          People don't wake up every morning thinking of buying from you. If you're not in their world, you are forgotten about very, very quickly. Especially since the scarcest commodity online these days, is getting attention.

          You won't make more by being in front of your prospects less.

          Newsflash: there are NO empty inboxes. Everyone gets daily emails regardless. What's annoying is getting CRAP daily emails from the same marketers.

          Emailing 2 to 3 times a month means you have 27 to 28 chances a month of NOT making the sale when people are ready to buy.

          Ask people would they prefer less emails and they'll most likely tell you, YES, they would prefer less emails. However, those very same people will spend LESS with you if you listen to them.

          Ask them if they want more free content, and they'll tell you, YES, we want more free content. However, they never value it, take action with it, and most likely it's killing their chances of success because free content, for the most part, is worthless.

          Another thing: If you truly have something valuable to sell to your market; something you know will help them; why would you ONLY give them 2 to 3 chances a month to buy it?

          That makes no sense whatsoever.

          I'm not saying to email every day, I'm simply saying that the more you're in front of your audience, the more likely they are to buy from you providing you aren't pestering them with shit that doesn't interest them.

          Email is still the most powerful selling tool online. Social media doesn't come close, but I bet these same people who email less, are in front of their audience more, on these platforms.

          Crazy.
          To your point, I agree 2 to 3 times a month is not ideal - it all really depends on what you are promoting/selling/offering - while people on here are saying daily is fine - I think there needs to be a firm strategy with tested parameters and that usually will indicate what the recipient will find suitable.

          The point is for people not to unsubscribe and stay on your list, bombarding them is not the key.

          I do agree that crap emails pulled together without any strategy or thought (or enough testing) are massively annoying, however emailing every day just seems to me like a recipe for being ignored or junked. I do, however, get what you are trying to say that the frequency is the way that you hook your lead.

          It all comes down to what youre selling.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10905730].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author james flynn
          Originally Posted by Declan O Flaherty View Post

          2 to 3 times a month is simply not enough; in fact, it's ridiculous.

          If you mailed more, you have more chance of catching people when THEY are ready to buy.

          Who cares if people unsubscribe?

          We build lists NOT to sell to everyone, but to sell to the RIGHT people who actually DO want to read your emails.

          What happens if I'm ready to buy and you're NOT inside my inbox? Do you honestly think I'm waiting around for you? Or am I buying from someone else? Unless you have a one-of-a-kind product that I absolutely MUST have, with information I can't get anywhere else online, then maybe. I sincerely doubt that's the case though.

          People don't wake up every morning thinking of buying from you. If you're not in their world, you are forgotten about very, very quickly. Especially since the scarcest commodity online these days, is getting attention.

          You won't make more by being in front of your prospects less.

          Newsflash: there are NO empty inboxes. Everyone gets daily emails regardless. What's annoying is getting CRAP daily emails from the same marketers.

          Emailing 2 to 3 times a month means you have 27 to 28 chances a month of NOT making the sale when people are ready to buy.

          Ask people would they prefer less emails and they'll most likely tell you, YES, they would prefer less emails. However, those very same people will spend LESS with you if you listen to them.

          Ask them if they want more free content, and they'll tell you, YES, we want more free content. However, they never value it, take action with it, and most likely it's killing their chances of success because free content, for the most part, is worthless.

          Another thing: If you truly have something valuable to sell to your market; something you know will help them; why would you ONLY give them 2 to 3 chances a month to buy it?

          That makes no sense whatsoever.

          I'm not saying to email every day, I'm simply saying that the more you're in front of your audience, the more likely they are to buy from you providing you aren't pestering them with shit that doesn't interest them.

          Email is still the most powerful selling tool online. Social media doesn't come close, but I bet these same people who email less, are in front of their audience more, on these platforms.

          Crazy.
          I like what you are trying to say here. The thing is that sometimes we think that we will be bothering the person on the other end if we flood their inboxes with our emails or we will get ignored. Whatever our mindset is we must realize that consistency in your email marketing campaign is the only ray of light that could guide to achieve conversions you dream about. Don't care if they get offended. So what if they unsubscribe. There is always roam to find people who share common interests with you.

          Cheers
          James
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10925275].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
            Originally Posted by james flynn View Post

            I like what you are trying to say here. The thing is that sometimes we think that we will be bothering the person on the other end if we flood their inboxes with our emails or we will get ignored. Whatever our mindset is we must realize that consistency in your email marketing campaign is the only ray of light that could guide to achieve conversions you dream about. Don't care if they get offended. So what if they unsubscribe. There is always roam to find people who share common interests with you.

            Cheers
            James
            Hi James

            I care if they unsubscribe, that's the point of having a list.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10925363].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tonytran1103
    I have used both Facebook ad and Google ad but it returns to me nearly 0 users. But I spread out in public emails, they turn a lot to my service. They also mark me as spam because they think they don't need my service. But I still care about people coming back to my service. Do you have ideas about this case?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10904835].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Junaid khawaja
    Hi Ginger,

    The idea of 'not sending too many emails' is debatable. Email marketing is evolving and is moving more towards repulsive marketing.

    There are top-class marketers literally humiliating freebie seekers in their emails and pitching products in every email they send. This may result in high unsubscribe rate but guess what, 90% of those unsubscribers will never buy from you anyway.

    An email a day, just like an apple a day, is the future of email marketing. This will take time to assimilate (especially when you have mentors preaching "give more value" and then, with a wagging tail, ask for a favor).


    Thanks, it was a good read.
    -J
    Signature

    I am conducting 5 FREE copy consultations till New Year...Jump onto my bandwagon while you still can..

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10905632].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
      Originally Posted by Junaid khawaja View Post

      Hi Ginger,

      The idea of 'not sending too many emails' is debatable. Email marketing is evolving and is moving more towards repulsive marketing.

      There are top-class marketers literally humiliating freebie seekers in their emails and pitching products in every email they send. This may result in high unsubscribe rate but guess what, 90% of those unsubscribers will never buy from you anyway.

      An email a day, just like an apple a day, is the future of email marketing. This will take time to assimilate (especially when you have mentors preaching "give more value" and then, with a wagging tail, ask for a favor).


      Thanks, it was a good read.
      -J
      Thanks for your comment - I believe the jury is still out and there isn't any blanket rule when it comes to frequency.

      At the end of the day, you will only be able to gauge appropriate frequency when you have the product or service you are selling in front of you.

      I expect this is an ongoing debate and one that won't be solved any time soon.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10905731].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
    Banned
    Originally Posted by gingerninjas View Post

    [*]Dont buy lists - this is a big one, but it seems people still do it. If people have not subscribed for your email they dont want it. Simple. Dont buy lists, its last and its bad practice.
    This is just nonsense. I have bought and used lists for most of my campaigns when I was actively working over the past decade. Knowing how to purchase the right list, from the right list broker and implementing an effective campaign is an invaluable resource.

    I have never built my own list and always used purchased lists for my own campaigns for those of my clients. Like anything else in marketing - you simply need to know what you are doing and always avoid the pitfalls.

    Just because you feel a certain way about something does not mean that you should make a blanket statement regarding it. If there were not a valid reason for purchasing good lists, there wouldn't be any list brokers.

    Frank
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10906353].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
      Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

      This is just nonsense. I have bought and used lists for most of my campaigns when I was actively working over the past decade. Knowing how to purchase the right list, from the right list broker and implementing an effective campaign is an invaluable resource.

      I have never built my own list and always used purchased lists for my own campaigns for those of my clients. Like anything else in marketing - you simply need to know what you are doing and always avoid the pitfalls.

      Just because you feel a certain way about something does not mean that you should make a blanket statement regarding it. If there were not a valid reason for purchasing good lists, there wouldn't be any list brokers.

      Frank
      You're right Frank it is an opinion and I have always suggested avoiding it all together, if you have had a good experience and have been able to find good quality lists that's great - however these are hard to find and there is a risk that if people don't find a good quality list it can mean more harm than good for their campaign.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10907650].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
        Banned
        Originally Posted by gingerninjas View Post

        You're right Frank it is an opinion and I have always suggested avoiding it all together, if you have had a good experience and have been able to find good quality lists that's great - however these are hard to find and there is a risk that if people don't find a good quality list it can mean more harm than good for their campaign.
        That's true, but you can make a mistake in any aspect of your marketing procedures. Do your research, deal with A+ list brokers and reap the benefits of knowing what you are doing in utilizing great lists as opposed to spending years building one.

        There are many people here that use excellent list brokers and would be happy to steer folks in the right direction. With all the crap advice dished-out on this forum, it's a good thing when the opposite takes place and the results actually helps someone.

        Frank
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10908729].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
          Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

          That's true, but you can make a mistake in any aspect of your marketing procedures. Do your research, deal with A+ list brokers and reap the benefits of knowing what you are doing in utilizing great lists as opposed to spending years building one.

          There are many people here that use excellent list brokers and would be happy to steer folks in the right direction. With all the crap advice dished-out on this forum, it's a good thing when the opposite takes place and the results actually helps someone.

          Frank
          I know I'm here to learn Frank, so always good to hear about the other side of every situation.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10914877].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DIABL0
    If you buy data, you should always buy a sample and test it. Then you will have an idea of how long it will likely take to break-even on it and what it is really worth to you.

    As far as frequency of sending messages, you really need to test and let the stats guide you as to what works best for your data.

    What produces the most income, while keeping your unsubscribes / complaints at an acceptable level.
    Signature
    How to Build LARGE EMAIL LISTS on a Budget and MONETIZE Like a PRO
    19 Years Exp . . . . . . . . . . . . Email - CPA - PPL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10915181].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AMarketingKing
    I'm surprised people are still buying lists. Doesn't work - don't do it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10916288].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author desireedavid
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10916617].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
        Originally Posted by desireedavid View Post

        True. Big no-no.
        Frank says it's all A-ok and there are some good ones out there.

        I don't do it myself, I am interested where people find good ones, it must be an expensive process as the ones that are available are so expensive and they don't have much substance at all.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10917204].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
          Banned
          Originally Posted by gingerninjas View Post

          Frank says it's all A-ok and there are some good ones out there.

          I don't do it myself, I am interested where people find good ones, it must be an expensive process as the ones that are available are so expensive and they don't have much substance at all.
          Very true. Great lists are very expensive and most people in IM are too cheap to ever consider using them. Instead, they buy crap and then complain about the results.

          The fact that you get what you pay for extends to most things in life.

          Frank
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10917255].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
            Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

            Very true. Great lists are very expensive and most people in IM are too cheap to ever consider using them. Instead, they buy crap and then complain about the results.

            The fact that you get what you pay for extends to most things in life.

            Frank
            You pay peanuts you get monkeys is a quote I live by Frank.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10917404].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Djwillster123
    It makes you look salesy and unintelligent when you use UPPER CASE.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10924743].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
      Originally Posted by Djwillster123 View Post

      It makes you look salesy and unintelligent when you use UPPER CASE.
      I agree, and it is also shouting which is pretty rude.

      So many people do it to get attention and in my opinion it is a real deterrent and I ignore emails and communication with people that 'shout' at me.

      Also, if you can create great content you shouldn't need to shout, the message will come through without the capitals.

      Thanks for your comment.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10925184].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author james flynn
    Originally Posted by gingerninjas View Post

    Im a massive fan of good communication, online and offline and it really ticks me off when colleagues, clients and anyone for that matter have bad email etiquette.

    To me its like chewing with your mouth open or texting while people are talking to you, its just plain old rude and you should cut it out right now.

    The same stands for bad manners in email marketing, its such a turnoff but many arent even aware that they are even doing it.

    Heres a list of worst practices to be aware for newbies or for anyone intrigued if they are using poor etiquette in their eMarketing.
    • Dont buy lists - this is a big one, but it seems people still do it. If people have not subscribed for your email they dont want it. Simple. Dont buy lists, its last and its bad practice.
    • Take note of bounces - each time you get a email bounce ensure you manage this and remove them after the first bounce, being lazy and leaving them will make you appear like a bad sender and tarnish your reputation with your email service.
    • Dont EVER sell lists to anyone - this is just plain simple - forget it.
    • Dont hide the unsubscribe details - its your recipients right to be able to remove themselves from the list and its your duty to be able to provide a clear way to do this.
    • Stay clear from sending too many emails - frequency is an art and you should be careful not to send too many emails if there is no reason for it. Over sending is a sure fire way to get huge amounts of unsubscribes.
    • Dont forget how important the subject line is in an email - this is your time to sing from the roof tops and if you fair to have a catchy or engaging subject you can forget people even opening up your email.
    • Make sure you check your spelling and grammar - youll appear very unprofessional if there are spelling or grammar issues in your emails, make sure you check and recheck this and ask colleagues to do this for you too. Testing and retesting is a great way to ensure your email is squeaky clean and clear of any errors.
    • Massive images that clog up the email - stay clear of sending or attaching huge files or images to emails, add a link or imbed it instead so your recipient can receive it without it bouncing.

    I know there are plenty more, but this is a start at least.

    Feel free to add more to the list of worst eMarketing practices too.

    What practices really annoy you in eMarketing?
    A good addition on this forum Ginger. The thing is that why rely on buying email lists that might have been exhausted by other marketers before. My theory is to build up your list by finding organic traffic through provision of free gated assets. After that every thing follows.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10925277].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    DONT EVER WRITE IN CAPITALS
    WHY THE HELL NOT?
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10927114].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
      Banned
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      WHY THE HELL NOT?
      BECAUSE I SAID NOT TO!!!

      FRANK
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10927180].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
        Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

        BECAUSE I SAID NOT TO!!!

        FRANK
        Play nice.

        See, shouting never gets us anywhere.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10927760].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PC700
    BUT I LIKEZ ALL CAPS?!

    Seriously though good tips. Frequency depends on a lot of factors though, the right frequency for one business is wrong for another.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10929042].message }}

Trending Topics