Mailchimp is cr@p! Does anyone have an alternative?

by Phil
19 replies
I have so had it with Mailchimp - their support takes days to deal with a ticket (if they ever get around to it). Their tech seems stuck in the 2000's forcing me to download subscribers, update them in Excel, then re-upload to MC. And now they are totally messing with me...

Ok, rant over (well, not quite)...

My reason for writing this thread is - please - does anyone know of, or recommend, an email service that I could easily and quickly move my lists over to?

I have daily email newsletters which are set up in MC, a couple are totally automated, so that's why I've been reluctant but the latest idiocy from them has just about finished me off - and I can't see how anyone could do what they are suggesting:

Basically, each of my businesses has a 'buyer' list and an email 'subscriber' list. When someone buys, they are automatically added to the 'subscriber' list (so they can see their promo when it appears). BUT if one of those buyers unsubscribes from the buyer list, Mailchimp has no way of automatically unsubscribing them from the subscriber list - so they tell me I must, manually, do it myself. Presumably, daily. I probably have over 40k people on lists across my accounts, it's an impossible expectation - and Mailchimp's failure of tech and features, not mine for using them!

And they locked my account for this reason 2 days ago, but only now tell me what the exact issue is - even though I immediately got in touch as soon as I was aware, on day one, and was talking to support on day 2 but they couldn't help me because it was 'a compliance issue'. 2 days of a blocked account without being told why. And 2 days of lost ad revenue.

I'm mad as hell and I just can't take it anymore!...

It's time Mailchimp either invested some of the millions they make from suckers like me, into their technology and brought their platform into this decade, instead of forcing their 'paying' customers to take the heat for their failures - of tech and of staffing (their support is clearly understaffed, you rarely get any help over a weekend and it takes them forever to get back to you, if they ever do)...

Anyway, anyone have a suggestion - better still, has anyone left MC and who did you go to?

(Fuming.)
#alternative #cr@p #mailchimp
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Unfortunately MailChimp is almost a monopole in email marketing and they decide what to do with you and don't care if you leave, simply because 2 users come while 1 leaves.. Their system is overflowed and they take the money and soon enough they close profiles. Sounds like scam? Well it seems it is good,organized and legal one, by blaming YOU. I don't envy them but this is not business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11384033].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NetMan
      Originally Posted by Svetoslav Stoyanchev View Post

      Unfortunately MailChimp is almost a monopole in email marketing and they decide what to do with you and don't care if you leave, simply because 2 users come while 1 leaves.. Their system is overflowed and they take the money and soon enough they close profiles. Sounds like scam? Well it seems it is good,organized and legal one, by blaming YOU. I don't envy them but this is not business.
      MailChimp is far from being the "end of the world" as you seem to believe according to your post. The main problem they have is they are a SMTP company, not a marketing company nor even an "email marketing" service (believe it or not) just a bunch of SMTP geeks filling a market need.

      In that sense, and as it's been mentioned as well here above, it's their REST API that is THE service to take advantage of at MC.

      Andy
      Signature
      Earn More Per Order, ...AUTOMATICALLY!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11404835].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DimuDesigns
    To really get the most out of Mailchimp one has to take advantage of its REST API. With the API its possible to setup workflows that can auto-unsubscribe from multiple lists (though ideally what you want is to setup up a single Master List and build your workflows around that single list). But you're going to need a Web Developer to write the code for you and we don't come cheap (not the good ones anyway).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11384055].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alliance
    I switched to Mailerlite and pleased with their program so far. Its not easy finding a suitable fit.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11384193].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author crackhouse
    Aweber, Get Response are good alternatives.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11384270].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Slippers
    Originally Posted by Phil View Post

    I have so had it with Mailchimp - their support takes days to deal with a ticket (if they ever get around to it). Their tech seems stuck in the 2000's forcing me to download subscribers, update them in Excel, then re-upload to MC. And now they are totally messing with me...

    Ok, rant over (well, not quite)...

    My reason for writing this thread is - please - does anyone know of, or recommend, an email service that I could easily and quickly move my lists over to?

    I have daily email newsletters which are set up in MC, a couple are totally automated, so that's why I've been reluctant but the latest idiocy from them has just about finished me off - and I can't see how anyone could do what they are suggesting:

    Basically, each of my businesses has a 'buyer' list and an email 'subscriber' list. When someone buys, they are automatically added to the 'subscriber' list (so they can see their promo when it appears). BUT if one of those buyers unsubscribes from the buyer list, Mailchimp has no way of automatically unsubscribing them from the subscriber list - so they tell me I must, manually, do it myself. Presumably, daily. I probably have over 40k people on lists across my accounts, it's an impossible expectation - and Mailchimp's failure of tech and features, not mine for using them!

    And they locked my account for this reason 2 days ago, but only now tell me what the exact issue is - even though I immediately got in touch as soon as I was aware, on day one, and was talking to support on day 2 but they couldn't help me because it was 'a compliance issue'. 2 days of a blocked account without being told why. And 2 days of lost ad revenue.

    I'm mad as hell and I just can't take it anymore!...

    It's time Mailchimp either invested some of the millions they make from suckers like me, into their technology and brought their platform into this decade, instead of forcing their 'paying' customers to take the heat for their failures - of tech and of staffing (their support is clearly understaffed, you rarely get any help over a weekend and it takes them forever to get back to you, if they ever do)...

    Anyway, anyone have a suggestion - better still, has anyone left MC and who did you go to?

    (Fuming.)
    +1 for Mailerlite
    • Free plan
    • Great interface
    • Skillful customer service
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11384303].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnben1444
    I have been using Aweber and it's functions are quite amazing.
    They have great support too.
    Another alternative is Getresponse.


    Aside these two, i can't really vouch for any other one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11404840].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Bradley
    Free only gets you so far :-)

    I changed over from Aweber to GetResponse last year, both are good but for me GetResponse just shades it.

    Both are paid options but both also have a free trial.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11404842].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NetMan
    Originally Posted by Phil View Post

    Basically, each of my businesses has a 'buyer' list and an email 'subscriber' list. When someone buys, they are automatically added to the 'subscriber' list (so they can see their promo when it appears).

    BUT if one of those buyers unsubscribes from the buyer list, Mailchimp has no way of automatically unsubscribing them from the subscriber list - so they tell me I must, manually, do it myself. Presumably, daily. I probably have over 40k people on lists across my accounts, it's an impossible expectation - and Mailchimp's failure of tech and features, not mine for using them!
    Indeed, looks like you need an email marketing app that will do just that, and I'm flabbergasted that MC doesn't hold that feature in 2018 !!!

    On the other hand, this is a marketing automation function which does automated list segmenting uon triggers, and the only app I know that does that is the one I use in-house, which I also provide as a custom solution to customers as well.

    There may be a few other apps that does this as well out there, as ActiveCampaign for example, or even Campaign Monitor as far as I know, but then again you would need to hold your assets on *their* facilities and comply and be "slave" of to their rules which are applied according to their "guts" instead of facts and good sense.

    Hope that helps a little.

    Regards,
    Andy
    Signature
    Earn More Per Order, ...AUTOMATICALLY!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11404843].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DIABL0
    Aweber and Getresponse are probably the 2 most popular alternatives.
    Signature
    How to Build LARGE EMAIL LISTS on a Budget and MONETIZE Like a PRO
    17+ Years Exp . . . . . .. . . . . . Email - CPA - PPL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11404854].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Turki Moez
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11412654].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NetMan
      Originally Posted by Turki Moez View Post

      Hi Phil,

      I totally agree with you !

      Mailchimp just decided to suspend and stop our account suddenly after we attempt to send a new newsletter.
      We have about 15,000 contacts and most of them are implied permission contacts. We was using mailchimp paid package for a year and we never had any complain from any of our contacts.

      And now, they just say, it's too risky for us so please seek for other supplier ! What????

      We developed several templates, build our database, created API to connect with our CRM, and now they just say "bye"!!!

      Is it fair? They even not let us the choice to let say "clean" our database and ask for an opt-in permission to our contacts to best comply with the GDPR new law!
      Now, with no newsletter, how to ask for 15,000 contact the consent ??

      And there support is weak ...I confirm!!

      Crazy !

      Is that happen to someone else?
      Here we go, again, but in this thread now you are here the best example of why one must always keep full control one's APPs AND DATA.

      "Crazy" you say man, I'd say it is abusive to the least (IF, things are exactly as you describe it), indeed. And, they've probably already well protected themselves in their TOS (because obviously this kind of behavior causes prejudice) that you have "accepted" when you signed up for the service.

      Questioning if it is fair we'd certainly think it is not at first glance, however nobody outside of you and the one who decided to close your account at mc know all the little details of all this. One thing's for sure is they closed your account for a "very good reason" from their point of view. What's sad is how they treat you once they decided, and most of the time, as far as what I know, what they decide is based on their "perceptions" of things instead of the reality. Yes, because those 'dudes' are in the SMTP business and NOT in marketing let alone email marketing (they don't f... care really) as odd as this may sound.

      Horror stories like this occur on a daily basis, and in many kinds of SaaS, that is why, and to avoid any conflict between what I do and their "perception" of it, very soon when I started online I decide no one would control my business and my data and that as much as possible everything would be handled completely IN-HOUSE.

      That's why, in the case of email needs for example, I've built, used, and proposed to clients my own "aweber or name it" email marketing app and server solution. It connect to ANY known today SMTP server as a service, so the day that whichever service does what MC did to you (never happened though) I can yawn and say "goodbye joe blow" and switch SMTP server in a snap.

      All that said, I feel very sorry for you for such crappy situation, and I just hope that you had a full data backup in-house... :/

      Take care.
      Andy
      Signature
      Earn More Per Order, ...AUTOMATICALLY!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11412810].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author newton
    Aweber or Getresponse. Been using Aweber for years now and have had no problems. They've recently also added 24 hour support I believe.
    Signature
    FREE REPORT REVEALS: "How I Made $1,913.66 With Less Than 60 Minutes 'Work' Flipping A Simple Website"
    --> Click Here For Instant Access
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11412708].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Aweber and Get Response are 2 solid alternatives Phil.

    Ryan
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph, Blogger, Author, World Traveling Digital Nomad
    If you want to become a full time blogger you can buy my eBook here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11412816].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Turki Moez
    Hi Guys,

    Thanks for your comment and reco.
    Yeah, i have been able to download all my data so far...
    By the way, I have checked the GDPR law and find out that they formally allow "implied permission" contacts, which means contacts that inquiry one of your product.
    Which it was my case for 99% of my contact list, but MC don't f... care!!!

    I have checked Aweber and Get Response, which i think they are good, but my decision is going to be for mailerlite I think.
    I just need something simple (send email, and no much features) and cheap. I am sending a max of 2 newsletters per month.

    So how about mailerlite compare to Aweber and GetResponse?
    Thanks in advance.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11413305].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stegibson
    I'm really impressed with Active Campaign, who i'm using at the moment. Really powerful segmentation and automation too
    Signature
    Grab your FREE Marketing Music Starter Kit:Boost Conversions Without Spending Any More Money or Using Complicated Tech.Get Free Video Training and Music at MarketingMusicPacks.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11414079].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author electricguitar
    Sparkpost is the best alternative for Mailchimp.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11414521].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author massmailer
    massmailservers can be a good alternative for you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11418903].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NetMan
    Originally Posted by Phil View Post


    Anyway, anyone have a suggestion - better still, has anyone left MC and who did you go to?
    Hey Phil,

    I'd replied to your PM and that's several days ago, just to let you know because I haven't heard back from you and recently for "some reasons" I've "PM sent" disappearing.

    Best regards,
    Andy
    Signature
    Earn More Per Order, ...AUTOMATICALLY!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11430179].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author massmailer
    It depend what type of emails you want to send if you want to send bulk emails then you should look for bulk email service provider.

    i.e
    massmailservers
    hotsol
    dailysender
    bulkmailvps
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11430194].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics