Some ideas on how to best end an email sequence ???

7 replies
Hey guys how is it going?

I have a small niche website and in the past 2 years, I have put some more effort into polishing my email marketing for it. Now as I see the stats I see that half of the sales come from email. (yes I'm kicking myself in the butt for not doing it earlier ).

I think that is because I actually did a regular email sequence of 2 - 3 emails per week in the course fo a year. That all seems fine and dandy, but I'm trying to come up with something on how to properly end the sequence. In other words - what the last email should be.

I will do occasional broadcast emails, probably 3-4 times a year, but I think also that I should let my people know that they have reached the end of the regular automated sequence.

Could you give me some practical ideas on how to best do it? Should I congratulate them and give them some discount or actually try to sell them if they still haven't bought? I'm using MailChimp and I can segment them in various ways.

So I'm open to all kinds of suggestions.

Cheers and happy upcoming Hallowin.
#email #end #ideas #sequence
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author SARubin
    Originally Posted by lowriderzzz View Post

    Hey guys how is it going?

    I have a small niche website and in the past 2 years, I have put some more effort into polishing my email marketing for it. Now as I see the stats I see that half of the sales come from email. (yes I'm kicking myself in the butt for not doing it earlier ).

    I think that is because I actually did a regular email sequence of 2 - 3 emails per week in the course fo a year. That all seems fine and dandy, but I'm trying to come up with something on how to properly end the sequence. In other words - what the last email should be.

    I will do occasional broadcast emails, probably 3-4 times a year, but I think also that I should let my people know that they have reached the end of the regular automated sequence.

    Could you give me some practical ideas on how to best do it? Should I congratulate them and give them some discount or actually try to sell them if they still haven't bought? I'm using MailChimp and I can segment them in various ways.

    So I'm open to all kinds of suggestions.

    Cheers and happy upcoming Hallowin.
    I can only give you generic "customer retention" advice based on your question, because I have no idea what your relationship is with your audience.

    A lot of it depends on the type of messages you've been sending, and the responses you've been getting over the years.


    Were your messages mostly informational, or educational?

    Were they straight sales messages with straight forward offers?

    Were they friendly and casual in tone? Or more business-like and professional?

    Did anyone ever personally reply to your emails?


    Any of these questions could play a factor in how you choose to communicate with your tribe.

    Generally speaking, "Authenticity" and "Consistency" is key.

    If you want your best chance of maintaining rapport with them, then whatever you've been doing up till now, I would recommend keeping the tonality consistent in your farewell address.


    As far as your farewell message... Maybe you can tell them that you're cutting back on the emails so you can focus on creating more value through other means? Then ask them what kind of products they would like you to create for them? (getting people involved with your decision making can make people feel important, and often helps with the loyalty factor)

    Some people will respect you for it, and some people will drop off the list (which can happen no matter what you do).


    Just keep in mind, the less you communicate with people the better chance that they'll forget all about you. So if you're going to surrender the frequency factor of your engagement, then you'll want to make sure you replace it with the high intensity factor in your quarterly newsletters. (Make it big, bold and powerful. Otherwise most people will probably forget who you are within a short amount of time)


    I do have one question though... If half of your sales are coming from your email list, why are you stopping?
    .
    Signature

    For Freelance Writers Only... Free advertising for your writing related services - Copywriters Forum

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11553750].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lowriderzzz
    @SARubin

    First, thank you for your effort and thorough reply.

    To your questions:


    Were your messages mostly informational, or educational?

    Were they straight sales messages with straight forward offers?

    Were they friendly and casual in tone? Or more business-like and professional?

    Did anyone ever personally reply to your emails?

    Mostly educational in the form of articles and "how to" type emails with CTA pitch for a relevant product at the end of each. Actually none of those emails is just selling them. More the opposite - I just have several emails that are just content without selling them anything. Friendly casual tone, as to a friend and yes some people reply and ask further questions once in a while.


    I do have one question though... If half of your sales are coming from your email list, why are you stopping?
    I just ran out of ideas for topics of what should I write, and frankly I'm getting already a bit bored of the niche itself.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11553755].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SARubin
      Originally Posted by lowriderzzz View Post

      @SARubin


      First, thank you for your effort and thorough reply.

      To your questions:

      Mostly educational in the form of articles and "how to" type emails with CTA pitch for a relevant product at the end of each. Actually none of those emails is just selling them. More the opposite - I just have several emails that are just content without selling them anything. Friendly casual tone, as to a friend and yes some people reply and ask further questions once in a while.
      Since you said you're still going to email them 3 or 4 times a year?

      In this case I'd recommend a simple, friendly, thank you email for your "temporary" goodbye.

      I'd keep it positive and uplifting. And show gratitude to the people on your list for allowing you to be a part of their lives.

      I'd also briefly explain why I'm moving on, and what direction the next phase of my life is going to take. I'd make it a little personal and heartfelt, and tell them that I'll be reaching out to them in a few weeks (or a couple months?) to let them know what I'm up to.

      At least this way you're leaving a final impression that sounds like it's coming from a friend. And if that's the last thing people remember about you, then there's a better chance they'll be pleased to hear from you again in the future.

      Especially if you're jumping to a different, unrelated niche, you will no longer have a buyers list. Instead you will only have a list of people who are warm to "you" (not your product)

      So leave people with a good feeling and they're more likely to welcome you back.


      As far as going after one final sale? Only you can decide that.

      I probably would, but I'd make it sound like a super discount deal that I'd be happy to offer friends and family. Because if you're going to disappear for a while, then you at least want to leave people with a warm, fuzzy, last impression.

      In the immortal words of Maya Angelou...




      Originally Posted by lowriderzzz View Post

      I just ran out of ideas for topics of what should I write, and frankly I'm getting already a bit bored of the niche itself.
      Yeah, I get that. Sometimes it's best to just move on, and try something different.


      I wish you the best of luck in your next adventure...
      Signature

      For Freelance Writers Only... Free advertising for your writing related services - Copywriters Forum

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11553771].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lowriderzzz
        Originally Posted by SARubin View Post

        Since you said you're still going to email them 3 or 4 times a year?

        In this case I'd recommend a simple, friendly, thank you email for your "temporary" goodbye.

        I'd keep it positive and uplifting. And show gratitude to the people on your list for allowing you to be a part of their lives.

        I'd also briefly explain why I'm moving on, and what direction the next phase of my life is going to take. I'd make it a little personal and heartfelt, and tell them that I'll be reaching out to them in a few weeks (or a couple months?) to let them know what I'm up to.

        At least this way you're leaving a final impression that sounds like it's coming from a friend. And if that's the last thing people remember about you, then there's a better chance they'll be pleased to hear from you again in the future.

        Especially if you're jumping to a different, unrelated niche, you will no longer have a buyers list. Instead you will only have a list of people who are warm to "you" (not your product)

        So leave people with a good feeling and they're more likely to welcome you back.


        As far as going after one final sale? Only you can decide that.

        I probably would, but I'd make it sound like a super discount deal that I'd be happy to offer friends and family. Because if you're going to disappear for a while, then you at least want to leave people with a warm, fuzzy, last impression.

        In the immortal words of Maya Angelou...





        Yeah, I get that. Sometimes it's best to just move on, and try something different.


        I wish you the best of luck in your next adventure...

        Hey, that was very insightful. I think I have quite some more clarity on how I want to proceed further on. Thank you once more for your advice. I wish you the best of things and success with your endeavors.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11553859].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DABK
    Why end the sequence?


    If they're still on your list that far on, they never read your emails or they have some interest.


    The useful thing is to assume interest and resume the sequence.


    You might want to not just sent the 1st email but another email that said something on the lines of


    A while back you expressed interest in blah, blah, blah. Here's a something that addresses related issue blah, blah, blah and send them the first email they ever got after Thank You For Signing Up to My List.


    Then the 2nd, and 3rd.


    And track separately from the people who get the sequence the first time (if anybody buys from the rerun, keep rerunning. If nobody buys, you lost nothing but some bandwidth.


    Originally Posted by lowriderzzz View Post

    Hey guys how is it going?

    I have a small niche website and in the past 2 years, I have put some more effort into polishing my email marketing for it. Now as I see the stats I see that half of the sales come from email. (yes I'm kicking myself in the butt for not doing it earlier ).

    I think that is because I actually did a regular email sequence of 2 - 3 emails per week in the course fo a year. That all seems fine and dandy, but I'm trying to come up with something on how to properly end the sequence. In other words - what the last email should be.

    I will do occasional broadcast emails, probably 3-4 times a year, but I think also that I should let my people know that they have reached the end of the regular automated sequence.

    Could you give me some practical ideas on how to best do it? Should I congratulate them and give them some discount or actually try to sell them if they still haven't bought? I'm using MailChimp and I can segment them in various ways.

    So I'm open to all kinds of suggestions.

    Cheers and happy upcoming Hallowin.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11554238].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author savidge4
    Agree totally with DABK... in many circles it would be called "resetting." You have a collection of previously sent e-mails... maybe a slight remix or update and out they go again and see what happens.
    Signature
    Success is an ACT not an idea
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11554304].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PlatinumStatus
    I always suggest emailing your list daily. If you have been mailing them 2-3 times a week and have seen great results, just imagine if you do that every single day!

    As far as ending the automated sequence, if you do end it, I would end it with a last chance offer with scarcity and urgency built into it.

    On the other hand, instead of ending your automated follow up, you could run A/B split tests with broadcast emails, and then add the winners to your automated sequence.






    Originally Posted by lowriderzzz View Post

    Hey guys how is it going?

    I have a small niche website and in the past 2 years, I have put some more effort into polishing my email marketing for it. Now as I see the stats I see that half of the sales come from email. (yes I'm kicking myself in the butt for not doing it earlier ).

    I think that is because I actually did a regular email sequence of 2 - 3 emails per week in the course fo a year. That all seems fine and dandy, but I'm trying to come up with something on how to properly end the sequence. In other words - what the last email should be.

    I will do occasional broadcast emails, probably 3-4 times a year, but I think also that I should let my people know that they have reached the end of the regular automated sequence.

    Could you give me some practical ideas on how to best do it? Should I congratulate them and give them some discount or actually try to sell them if they still haven't bought? I'm using MailChimp and I can segment them in various ways.

    So I'm open to all kinds of suggestions.

    Cheers and happy upcoming Hallowin.
    Signature
    Like Passive Income? Get Your FREE Passive Income Cheat Sheet!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11555268].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics