Which language I should use to send email campaigns?

20 replies
Good day great people, quick question!

I understand that the language we use in email campaigns can have a big impact on the success of your campaign.

As you all know, we're all customers by the end of the day. Sometimes I save some emails I receive because they are catchy, and look very casual, using words and expressions that I can almost hear their tone, whether they sound surprised, sarcastic, or even sad. I have always taught to never use jargons in a message or email when I was working in corporate, but I never really had a problem with jargons, please feel free to add this to my inbox, but you better be funny! LOL

I have always found professional emails so boring, and most of the time these emails I received are about things like "the ultimate way for financial freedom" or Advertisement for Social media management companies.

Do you think this language or tone can work with all niches, or there are other niches that require a professional tone or language?
#campaigns #email #language #send
  • Profile picture of the author ashtondunhill
    I always try to write as I speak. If I had to cater to everyone's preference I would never get anything done.



    To paraphrase a quote from John Wayne, I think, anyway.


    "I am not responsible for what you hear (in this case read) Only for what I say"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707742].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author UltraOne
      Originally Posted by ashtondunhill View Post

      I always try to write as I speak. If I had to cater to everyone's preference I would never get anything done.



      To paraphrase a quote from John Wayne, I think, anyway.


      "I am not responsible for what you hear (in this case read) Only for what I say"
      I don't know about you, but quoting John Wayne might work if you are addressing your employees, or someone you have sort of authority above, but not your clients! The quote is unreasonable!

      If you don't care about how your clients receive your words, and how the words sound to them, then definitely you will never get anything accomplished.



      Regards,
      Adam

      Originally Posted by Charlyne Masongsong View Post

      I think the less professional you sound, the better. It gives a feeling of closeness or having a sense of personal touch.
      Thanks Charlyne, that's really a great way to say it. I think I would go with that, I really don't prefer professional tone, though making it casual it's tricky too, because it might get too causal, if you know what I mean. Adding personal touch.to the email is the way to go, depends on the topic, but the feeling of this person knows me, it's just awesome.


      Reagrds,
      Adam

      Originally Posted by WF- Enzo View Post

      Always preferred emails that don't sound formal, but it depends on the content.
      Most the comments agree that formal tone is not the way to go, we are learning something here on this thread.



      Regards,
      Adam
      Signature

      Adam F

      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. -Thomas Edison

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707954].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
        Originally Posted by UltraOne View Post

        I don't know about you, but quoting John Wayne might work if you are addressing your employees, or someone you have sort of authority above, but not your clients! The quote is unreasonable!
        Well, you didn't specify "clients" in your opening post, but in any case, it would depend on how well you know your target market, and how you want to come across to them. Cultivating a distinct persona can be an effective way to separate yourself from other marketers.
        Signature
        TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707962].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author UltraOne
          Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

          Well, you didn't specify "clients" in your opening post, but in any case, it would depend on how well you know your target market, and how you want to come across to them. Cultivating a distinct persona can be an effective way to separate yourself from other marketers.
          My question was about email campaigns Frank. It's a sequence of marketing efforts that contacts multiple recipients at once. Email campaigns are designed to reach out to subscribers at the best time and provide valuable content and relevant offers. Using email campaigns allows you to build deep and trusting relationships with your customers.


          Regards,
          Adam
          Signature

          Adam F

          I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. -Thomas Edison

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707983].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
            Originally Posted by UltraOne View Post

            My question was about email campaigns Frank. It's a sequence of marketing efforts that contacts multiple recipients at once. Email campaigns are designed to reach out to subscribers at the best time and provide valuable content and relevant offers. Using email campaigns allows you to build deep and trusting relationships with your customers.
            You don't say. In what way is that definition relevant to the comments you quoted?
            Signature
            TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11708000].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author WF- Enzo
            Administrator
            Lol you're posting under email marketing.


            Originally Posted by UltraOne View Post

            My question was about email campaigns Frank.
            Signature
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11708037].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ashtondunhill
        Originally Posted by UltraOne View Post

        I don't know about you, but quoting John Wayne might work if you are addressing your employees, or someone you have sort of authority above, but not your clients! The quote is unreasonable!
        The quote was not for clients it was for this thread, you asked I answered


        Originally Posted by UltraOne View Post

        If you don't care about how your clients receive your words, and how the words sound to them, then definitely you will never get anything accomplished.

        I actually care enough about my clients to speak as I am and not try and figure out who they want me to be and then be that person. That would basically be lying to them. I speak/write from me
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707997].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author spartan14
    Well i think you need to write your emails as humanly posible and not in a profesional and seling way because people are tired of this .You need to write your emails in a way thay you would write to your friends
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707809].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author UltraOne
      Originally Posted by spartan14 View Post

      Well i think you need to write your emails as humanly posible and not in a profesional and seling way because people are tired of this .You need to write your emails in a way thay you would write to your friends
      That sounds reasonable to me, I guess there no specific way, but at least it should sounds human. Thanks, that really helps!


      Regards,
      Adam
      Signature

      Adam F

      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. -Thomas Edison

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707948].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WF- Enzo
    Administrator
    Always preferred emails that don't sound formal, but it depends on the content.

    Originally Posted by UltraOne View Post

    Good day great people, quick question!

    I understand that the language we use in email campaigns can have a big impact on the success of your campaign.

    As you all know, we're all customers by the end of the day. Sometimes I save some emails I receive because they are catchy, and look very casual, using words and expressions that I can almost hear their tone, whether they sound surprised, sarcastic, or even sad. I have always taught to never use jargons in a message or email when I was working in corporate, but I never really had a problem with jargons, please feel free to add this to my inbox, but you better be funny! LOL

    I have always found professional emails so boring, and most of the time these emails I received are about things like "the ultimate way for financial freedom" or Advertisement for Social media management companies.

    Do you think this language or tone can work with all niches, or there are other niches that require a professional tone or language?
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707898].message }}
  • I think the less professional you sound, the better. It gives a feeling of closeness or having a sense of personal touch.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707949].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author UltraOne
    Thanks everyone for sharing all this incredible information. You killed it!
    Signature

    Adam F

    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. -Thomas Edison

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11708098].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paullancer
    well , my pov ! is english , everyone comunicate with it ...



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11708173].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author UltraOne
      Originally Posted by paullancer View Post

      well , my pov ! is english , everyone comunicate with it ...


      Technically you are right! BUT what I meant with the language, is the tone used in your email marketing campaign, such as humor, formality, respectfulness, and enthusiasm. I sure do prefer English language, if you are targeting English speaking audience, even if it's not the first language of that audience. English is an international language, it's more than just being described as a regional language, it's the tone that is being questioned here!
      Signature

      Adam F

      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. -Thomas Edison

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11708306].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author savidge4
        Originally Posted by UltraOne View Post

        it's the tone that is being questioned here!
        Tone is a thing... and then the language and voice I believe to be another. It all depends on your target audience. How you communicate with Boomers is in no way how you would communicate with Millennials. How you would sell a financial product / service is not going to be written the same way you would be selling a MMO product / service.

        Case and point... McD's using the Poop Icon to sell ice cream
        Signature
        Success is an ACT not an idea
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11708330].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author UltraOne
          Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

          Tone is a thing... and then the language and voice I believe to be another. It all depends on your target audience. How you communicate with Boomers is in no way how you would communicate with Millennials. How you would sell a financial product / service is not going to be written the same way you would be selling a MMO product / service.

          Case and point... McD's using the Poop Icon to sell ice cream
          Language and tone can be the same thing, depends on context. I agree with you It all depends on the target audience. McD's is totally different story, they had a winner system to begin with.
          Signature

          Adam F

          I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. -Thomas Edison

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11708454].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author savidge4
      Originally Posted by paullancer View Post

      well , my pov ! is english , everyone comunicate with it ...
      Uh this is a false statement if there ever was one. Mr Beast is currently releasing content in 7 languages across 10 channels around the world.

      I personally create content and target 3 languages. English, Portuguese, and Spanish.
      Signature
      Success is an ACT not an idea
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11708329].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WF- Enzo
      Administrator
      Not everyone is a native English speaker.

      Originally Posted by paullancer View Post

      well , my pov ! is english , everyone comunicate with it ...
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11708364].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author incomenow
    Originally Posted by UltraOne View Post

    Good day great people, quick question!

    I understand that the language we use in email campaigns can have a big impact on the success of your campaign.

    As you all know, we're all customers by the end of the day. Sometimes I save some emails I receive because they are catchy, and look very casual, using words and expressions that I can almost hear their tone, whether they sound surprised, sarcastic, or even sad. I have always taught to never use jargons in a message or email when I was working in corporate, but I never really had a problem with jargons, please feel free to add this to my inbox, but you better be funny! LOL

    I have always found professional emails so boring, and most of the time these emails I received are about things like "the ultimate way for financial freedom" or Advertisement for Social media management companies.

    Do you think this language or tone can work with all niches, or there are other niches that require a professional tone or language?
    When you're sending an email campaign, it's important to choose the right tone. The tone you use will set the tone for the entire campaign, so it's important to choose wisely.

    There are a few different options for tone, and it really depends on what you're trying to achieve with your campaign. If you're looking to build relationships and cultivate a community, a friendly and conversational tone is probably best. If you're trying to sell something, a more formal and professional tone is likely to be more effective.

    ultimately, it's up to you to decide which tone is best for your campaign. Just be sure to think about what you're trying to achieve and who your target audience is before you make your decision.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11712645].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seogurubd
    I think simplicity is the best. So, you should be simple to attract others.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11712728].message }}

Trending Topics