Best Plan/Pricing for Sending Email to 40,000+

42 replies
I have two different email lists that have been built over many years. Both are more than 40,000 users. We have been using an in house solution I commissioned a while ago that works pretty good where we send to about 5 every 20 seconds until they are all sent in about two days. We don't have advanced features like tracking the clicks or even html emails.

So I wondered what you would use in this situation, as I am trying to decide whether I want add to our in house solution or go with a service.
#email #plan or pricing #sending
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    There are lots of options. Here's one that does a lot of high volume emailing.

    SMTP

    Steve
    Signature

    Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7550031].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wuser12
    I would use aweber or getresponse for such purpose.

    Rgds
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7550114].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagalog
    I would also be interested in a genuine recommendation for a mailing solution. I have about 300 recent subscribers and about 4,000 old ones going back a number of years. They are all double opt-ins and genuine subscribers, but obviously the old ones will have many obsolete addresses.

    Any help or advice is appreciated.

    Robert
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7550128].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
    Old addresses are not going to be welcome on AutoResponder services. They'll have too high of a bounce/complaint rate.

    You can't expect miracles if you haven't maintained and cleaned the list.
    Signature
    Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7550152].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JimDucharme
    We actually have the option to test a list for you. You can simply contact support and ask them for the compliance email address. Then just send the list you want to import in a .CSV file to compliance and tell them you'd like to have it tested to see if it meets our requirements.

    Regards,
    jim
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7550697].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dvduval
      Originally Posted by JimDucharme View Post

      We actually have the option to test a list for you. You can simply contact support and ask them for the compliance email address. Then just send the list you want to import in a .CSV file to compliance and tell them you'd like to have it tested to see if it meets our requirements.

      Regards,
      jim
      Right now, I am paying $0 and can send an email. It appears your service would increase my cost to $3000/year or similar. I'm not sure that is what I'm looking for unless I had a strong reason to believe I would make $3000 or more as a result.

      Thanks for everyone's responses.
      Signature
      It is okay to contact me! I have been developing software since 1999, creating many popular products like phpLD.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7551384].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claire Koch
        Theres a VIP account you can buy through an indian company and they claim to have a mailer where you can send 1200 an hour. The VIP is $25 a month. I'm just the messenger I have no idea how good it works. They have resellers here is one company that resells it.

        Justinhosting cheap web hosting
        heres a thread about it:
        http://www.hotwebhostingtalk.com/thr...y-25-Per-Month
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7552480].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author dvduval
          Originally Posted by Claire Koch View Post

          Theres a VIP account you can buy through an indian company and they claim to have a mailer where you can send 1200 an hour. The VIP is $25 a month. I'm just the messenger I have no idea how good it works. They have resellers here is one company that resells it.

          Justinhosting cheap web hosting
          heres a thread about it:
          Semi-Dedicated Server VPS With Built In Mailer Only $25 Per Month
          Sounds a little sketchy. I have elected to rebuild the app we have been using. It is working and not really seeing a reason why an email service would offer enough additional benefit. Heck, I will probably be selling this app on warrior soon.
          Signature
          It is okay to contact me! I have been developing software since 1999, creating many popular products like phpLD.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7555279].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ben Gordon
    Check out sendgrid.

    It's a great and affordable service (you could get up and running for just $80/mo with a list that size)

    I personally still use GetResponse because of the simplicity and key features, but Sendgrid works well too (my buddy is using it and he says it's great).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7550742].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author solos
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Ben Gordon View Post

      Check out sendgrid.

      It's a great and affordable service (you could get up and running for just $80/mo with a list that size)

      I personally still use GetResponse because of the simplicity and key features, but Sendgrid works well too (my buddy is using it and he says it's great).
      Hey Ben,
      Thanks for the recommendation.

      Does GetResponse let you add that many subscibers or are you required to have them opt in? What are the rules on that?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7931855].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JimDucharme
        Originally Posted by solos View Post

        Hey Ben,
        Thanks for the recommendation.

        Does GetResponse let you add that many subscibers or are you required to have them opt in? What are the rules on that?
        Hi Solos,

        Yes, you're required to have them opt-in. However, as I mentioned you can request a list be imported with no confirmation emails sent out and you can in some cases have the confirmation waived on opt-ins for a campaign. This is on a per-case basis and you have to be approved by compliance. However, it's a relatively simple procedure done (in most cases) right from your dashboard.

        Regards,
        jim
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7933846].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author solos
          Banned
          Originally Posted by JimDucharme View Post

          Hi Solos,

          Yes, you're required to have them opt-in. However, as I mentioned you can request a list be imported with no confirmation emails sent out and you can in some cases have the confirmation waived on opt-ins for a campaign. This is on a per-case basis and you have to be approved by compliance. However, it's a relatively simple procedure done (in most cases) right from your dashboard.

          Regards,
          jim
          Hey Jim,
          Thanks for clearing this up for me good to know
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7935001].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Josh Anderson
    SMTP via Amazon web services is really inexpensive.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7550824].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Rogers
      Originally Posted by Josh Anderson View Post

      SMTP via Amazon web services is really inexpensive.
      Josh, I've been looking at SES today and someone on another forum said that Amazon has problems with blacklisted IPs. Are you using SES yourself?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7563958].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jaggyjay
    Neil Morgan's autoresponder plus may be a good solution. This is as opposed to Aweber or Getresponse - which will kill your list as they would require that they RE-opt in. It wouldn't be without it's challenges though as you'd likely need a dedicated server it; in additional to getting it whitelisted for maximum email deliverability.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7555665].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JimDucharme
      Originally Posted by jaggyjay View Post

      This is as opposed to Aweber or Getresponse - which will kill your list as they would require that they RE-opt in.
      Hi Jaggyjay,

      No, that's not the case with GetResponse.

      If you have a list and wish to import it to GetResponse, you can submit it for review to our compliance department, if there are no issues, we'll waive the reconfirmation ("RE-opt in"). This can be done right from your desktop or (as I mentioned previously) you can email a list prior to signing up for GetResponse and ask for it to be tested.

      Regards,
      jim
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7557212].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author dvduval
        Originally Posted by JimDucharme View Post

        Hi Jaggyjay,

        No, that's not the case with GetResponse.

        If you have a list and wish to import it to GetResponse, you can submit it for review to our compliance department, if there are no issues, we'll waive the reconfirmation ("RE-opt in"). This can be done right from your desktop or (as I mentioned previously) you can email a list prior to signing up for GetResponse and ask for it to be tested.

        Regards,
        jim
        Yes, he is right about that. I tried this. I still don't like the pricing, but it does appear this is the case. I just think I already have a pretty decent system, and not seeing the justification for the kind of numbers they want to charge (ex. $3000/year per list).
        Signature
        It is okay to contact me! I have been developing software since 1999, creating many popular products like phpLD.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7557914].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author BeauJustin
          List building lesson incoming!

          1. Aweber and get response are great services for capturing emails, but
          horribly expensive for storage of those email address. The big list builders
          typically use one of the top market services like GetResponse or Aweber
          (almost ALL at least HAVE an Aweber account), for the purposes of building
          their lists.

          2. Once those emails are captured on Aweber, they export them to dependable,
          but less expensive service like Imnicamail.com or, my personal favorite sendgrid.com

          40,000 emails on Aweber is ridiculously expensive!!! You have to leverage
          that list to the hilt just to pay the bills! That's OK, but it shoots the whole relationship
          marketing model in the foot, if you're constantly sending nothing but ads to your list.

          That same size list on Sendgrid is $10/monthly, and has a comparably good delivery
          even though the emails are exported in.

          The reason I don't JUST use Sendgrid as my provider is, because, it's not
          nearly as intuitive as Aweber, (not that Aweber is overly intuitive, I'm just
          used to it), and it doesn't have the tools I'm used to. But it does make a
          fantastic place to store up my email addresses, and manage campaigns.

          Takeaway:
          1. Build your list on Aweber. Keep your names there as long as you like, but
            be ready to move them when you list gets big enough to raise your monthly
            cost.
          2. Store them on a dependable, 2nd Autoresponder service. Imnica is used a
            lot, but I find the delivery rate to be atrocious compaired to any of the top
            providers. Sendgrid, so far, has been an excellent resource.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7558345].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Sid Hale
            Sorry Beau,

            Originally Posted by BeauJustin View Post

            Takeaway:
            1. Build your list on Aweber. Keep your names there as long as you like, but
              be ready to move them when you list gets big enough to raise your monthly
              cost.
            2. Store them on a dependable, 2nd Autoresponder service. Imnica is used a
              lot, but I find the delivery rate to be atrocious compaired to any of the top
              providers. Sendgrid, so far, has been an excellent resource.
            This doesn't make any sense at all to me...

            Anyone can put an optin form on a web page (it's a simple HTML form) - regardless of what AR sevice you use/WHERE you mail from.

            If Sendgrid is a good financial choice for you (comparable delivery rate vs. lower cost per mail), then using GR, or Aweber, or anyone else just for collection of the optins just doesn't make any sense at all.

            Surely Sendgrid can handle the simple posting of an HTML form from your web site???
            Signature

            Sid Hale
            Coming Soon... Rapid Action Profits (Pro)

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7558518].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author BeauJustin
              Originally Posted by Sid Hale View Post

              Sorry Beau,



              This doesn't make any sense at all to me...

              Anyone can put an optin form on a web page (it's a simple HTML form) - regardless of what AR sevice you use/WHERE you mail from.

              If Sendgrid is a good financial choice for you (comparable delivery rate vs. lower cost per mail), then using GR, or Aweber, or anyone else just for collection of the optins just doesn't make any sense at all.

              Surely Sendgrid can handle the simple posting of an HTML form from your web site???
              Hey Sid,
              There is nothing wrong with using Sendgrid as your primary AR. It just has a
              few issues that make it difficult for me to recommend as a complete replacement.

              One of the biggest problems is that they don't give you and HTML form, just
              a Javascript snippet to place in your websites. Again that's OK, if you're just
              using HTML templates. However a lot of people use Wordpress. Any page that
              you place javascript onto in Wordpress, has to be done in text mode, or the
              Wyswyg will strip it out. If you accidentally open the page with the wysiwyg
              activated, even if you immediately switch to text, it will strip it out.

              One of the things I like about Aweber is that their are built in compatibilities
              with tons of software platforms out there, including Wordpress.

              Another problem I have with Sendgrid is that their backend uses it's own
              conventions for user interface, and it takes a while to get used to it. For instance
              There's also no form builder software - all forms look alike, which again, if
              you know how to add CSS to your WP style sheet you can take care of that.

              Sendgrids biggest boon over some of the smaller more affordable providers
              is their deliverability, which is comparable to the larger providers. That's the
              main reason I recommend them verses an easier service to learn.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7564437].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Ben Gordon
            Originally Posted by BeauJustin View Post

            That same size list on Sendgrid is $10/monthly, and has a comparably good delivery
            even though the emails are exported in. [/LIST]
            Actually he'd be looking at around $80/mo because the $10/mo plan doesn't include a dedicated IP and many deliverability features. $80/mo is though VERY reasonable for a list your size. If you can't make at least $80 every month off a 40,000 list, then why maintain it at all? That doesn't make any sense to me,

            Sendgrid is the way to go.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7626716].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author DIABL0
            Originally Posted by BeauJustin View Post

            List building lesson incoming!

            1. Aweber and get response are great services for capturing emails, but
            horribly expensive for storage of those email address. The big list builders
            typically use one of the top market services like GetResponse or Aweber
            (almost ALL at least HAVE an Aweber account), for the purposes of building
            their lists.

            2. Once those emails are captured on Aweber, they export them to dependable,
            but less expensive service like Imnicamail.com or, my personal favorite sendgrid.com

            40,000 emails on Aweber is ridiculously expensive!!! You have to leverage
            that list to the hilt just to pay the bills! That's OK, but it shoots the whole relationship
            marketing model in the foot, if you're constantly sending nothing but ads to your list.

            That same size list on Sendgrid is $10/monthly, and has a comparably good delivery
            even though the emails are exported in.

            The reason I don't JUST use Sendgrid as my provider is, because, it's not
            nearly as intuitive as Aweber, (not that Aweber is overly intuitive, I'm just
            used to it), and it doesn't have the tools I'm used to. But it does make a
            fantastic place to store up my email addresses, and manage campaigns.

            Takeaway:
            1. Build your list on Aweber. Keep your names there as long as you like, but
              be ready to move them when you list gets big enough to raise your monthly
              cost.
            2. Store them on a dependable, 2nd Autoresponder service. Imnica is used a
              lot, but I find the delivery rate to be atrocious compaired to any of the top
              providers. Sendgrid, so far, has been an excellent resource.
            Your looking at sendgrids cost for transactional emails and not marketing emails.
            It's $10 per month to send 40,000 transactional messages.

            150K marketing messages is like $150.
            Getresponse 5000 subscribers is $45. So if you mail daily that is 150K messages.

            Getresponse is $450 for 100K subscribers, mail daily and that is 3MM messages.
            Sendgrid is like $1800 to send 3MM messages.

            Using autoresponders is much cheaper!
            Signature
            How to Build LARGE EMAIL LISTS on a Budget and MONETIZE Like a PRO
            19 Years Exp . . . . . . . . . . . . Email - CPA - PPL
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10148644].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author BeauJustin
          Originally Posted by dvduval View Post

          Yes, he is right about that. I tried this. I still don't like the pricing, but it does appear this is the case. I just think I already have a pretty decent system, and not seeing the justification for the kind of numbers they want to charge (ex. $3000/year per list).
          Just use Sendgrid.com. It's a great service once you get used to their weird
          backend. Just count on using their tech support for a little while until you get
          the hang of it.

          Good luck!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7558394].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jaggyjay
        I stand corrected then And I'd say this is one of the best email solution discussions I've read thus far here on the WF.

        Originally Posted by JimDucharme View Post

        Hi Jaggyjay,

        No, that's not the case with GetResponse.

        If you have a list and wish to import it to GetResponse, you can submit it for review to our compliance department, if there are no issues, we'll waive the reconfirmation ("RE-opt in"). This can be done right from your desktop or (as I mentioned previously) you can email a list prior to signing up for GetResponse and ask for it to be tested.

        Regards,
        jim
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7563702].message }}
  • Amazon SES is reliable and cheap, but it has a bit of a learning curve. Once you've gone through the configuration process though, it's FAR cheaper than any other email service out there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7558405].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dvduval
      Originally Posted by Anonymous Affiliate View Post

      Amazon SES is reliable and cheap, but it has a bit of a learning curve. Once you've gone through the configuration process though, it's FAR cheaper than any other email service out there.
      Best reply so far! We are looking at $4 for 40,000. That I can do, even if it costs me $1000 to get the programming done.

      Thank you!
      Signature
      It is okay to contact me! I have been developing software since 1999, creating many popular products like phpLD.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7558816].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Maui Joe
    interspire email marketer + Amazon SES = win. plugin your SMTP info and you're done. no programming necessary.


    to give you an idea how cheap it is with amazon, in dec i sent out an average 3600 emails a day. cost: a little over $10
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7558877].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bobby_shahzad
      I see that cost saving with quality service is your main concern. You can always host your own mailer with software like interspire and get smtp relay from other companies. If you are looking for a hosted solution then check BulkResponse
      Signature
      BulkResponse.com Email marketing service , single and double optin accounts. List Hygiene Service Available.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7560051].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dvduval
      Originally Posted by Maui Joe View Post

      interspire email marketer + Amazon SES = win. plugin your SMTP info and you're done. no programming necessary.


      to give you an idea how cheap it is with amazon, in dec i sent out an average 3600 emails a day. cost: a little over $10
      I'm just going to build my own version of the Interspire product that uses Amazon SES or other server delivery options. We already started and should be ready to send by the middle of next week, and I will build onto it over time.
      Signature
      It is okay to contact me! I have been developing software since 1999, creating many popular products like phpLD.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7561998].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bizzlebox
      Originally Posted by Maui Joe View Post

      interspire email marketer + Amazon SES = win. plugin your SMTP info and you're done. no programming necessary.


      to give you an idea how cheap it is with amazon, in dec i sent out an average 3600 emails a day. cost: a little over $10
      This is exactly my setup. I have Interspire Email Marketer, I'm just looking for the SMTP info to input. Thank you for the post!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7626600].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JimDucharme
    Hi dvduval,

    Glad to hear you have a solution.

    Good luck!

    Regards,
    jim
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7562044].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author anandshaw
    Thanks dvduval, This is an interesting discussion. Is anyone using Amazon SES for their business?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7564110].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dvduval
      Originally Posted by anandshaw View Post

      Thanks dvduval, This is an interesting discussion. Is anyone using Amazon SES for their business?
      Thanks, yea, I don't feel that once you reach a certain size that these services are worth it, maybe not even amazon. From bounce handling, to distributed servers, to counting clicks, to handling unsubscribes, the programming on this can be customized to my situation, and then I don't have to for it anymore!

      We are just about done and the email to one list goes out around Tuesday.
      Signature
      It is okay to contact me! I have been developing software since 1999, creating many popular products like phpLD.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7564395].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7564359].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BenQ
    I use interspire as well and like it very much.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7931771].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ladyhawkdsm
    Thank you, everyone, for this discussion. Very new to all of this and was wondering about which service to use. Exceptional information in this discussion.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8253406].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fullofsurprises
    If you have web hosting and tgat allows you to send unrestricted smtp then i can tell you about a free solution. You install the service on your website directory, upload the mailing list, create the letter and voalla bob's your uncle.

    Why pay money when you can send them for free? Lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8253467].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Donimo
    I think you may want to look into getting a self hosted autoresponder for such a large list.
    Signature
    Sendorika
    The cheap, newbie friendly, and super high quality autoresponder.



    Want to become a beta tester for Sendorika? PM me and we can discuss further!
    Twitter: @Sendorika !
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8253753].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SteveSRS
    sorry to plug myself a little but have a look at the url in my sig.

    It's a free eBook about various methods. I myself am using something called Sendy which works via Amazon SES. I'm currently sending about 400 - 800 emails a day and works perfect (I can send 5 emails per second, however I think if you have bigger volumes you can also have Amazon increase this).

    I know some people say you can't use Amazon SES as IM-er but this is nonsense. I've been using it for over 6 months already and never have any problems.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8253774].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bimblogleader
      Originally Posted by SteveSRS View Post

      sorry to plug myself a little but have a look at the url in my sig.

      It's a free eBook about various methods. I myself am using something called Sendy which works via Amazon SES. I'm currently sending about 400 - 800 emails a day and works perfect (I can send 5 emails per second, however I think if you have bigger volumes you can also have Amazon increase this).

      I know some people say you can't use Amazon SES as IM-er but this is nonsense. I've been using it for over 6 months already and never have any problems.
      SteveSRS, thanks for sharing your success with Sendy.

      Do you have any advice on requesting Production Access with Amazon SES?

      There are a couple of websites (at insty.me and List Master Sensei) that provide website tips for the Website URL to submit in the request form.

      The website URL is optional, but apparently highly recommended.

      It is also recommended to provide as much detail in the "Use Case Description" as possible.

      I would really appreciate your feedback, thanks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9163649].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author anupamrekha
    interspire over a VPS will be a good solution - quick and efficient. make sure to make DKIM and other settings.
    Signature

    Satyam Hosting (India) - Powerful VPS & Dedicated Servers

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10148595].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kimboslice
    Sendy plus Amazon. https://sendy.co/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10163416].message }}

Trending Topics