How or Where Do I Find Content to Build Relationship With My List

14 replies
I just started building my list and everyone always says to treat your list well and build a relationship with them before you start promoting.

I'm wondering what type of topics or content should I be talking about or sending to my list? Any websites that I can go to get inspiration or ideas from?

Also, when is a good time to start promoting to my list. In case you guys are wondering, I just started list building using solo ads and so far have about 200 people on my list.

Thanks!
#build #content #find #list #relationship
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Ray
    One of the best things you can do in my opinion is use thing that happen or that you see/hear in your everyday life.

    The trick is to take something that happens in your life and turning it into something that can become a marketing lesson. It takes practice, but when you get the hang of it you'll be able to do it daily.

    I have even seen some big marketers turn hate mail or bad situations into emails they send out to their lists with great responses.

    As far as promoting... you have to gauge your readers. Some people pitch every day. Other every few days and in between keep those emails flowing to keep the relationship there.

    Hope that helps.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9459657].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tobiasr
    Here is a trick how to get inspiration by looking at what other list owners do...

    - site:getresponse.com <your keyword>
    - archive.aweber.com <your keyword>

    Obviously, for research and inspiration only, don't copy stuff 1:1.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9460419].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author helpandinfo
      Tell them stories about your personal life - where you went today - what your plans for next week are.. Mention children and band practice or whatever they do like.. (I had to interrupt work to pick up my son from Softball today but I can still get today's targets done.)

      By mentioning personal stuff you can build a feeling with your list that they are somehow involved in your life - People Really Like This.. All you have to do is watch top marketers like Kern, Pagan etc and see how often they mention personal stuff (whether any of it's true or not!) - It's not a bad idea to get on half a dozen top marketers lists to see how they do it.. You don't have to re-invent the wheel just copy how they do it..
      Signature

      I created and run the only truly automatic website backlinking system (3 years and still going strong!) We provide HIGH PR links (ALL done manually by my own staff) every month on complete autopilot (for the Client). These are now posted from UNIQUE IP addresses. When you're sick of hours creating backlinks AND STILL getting nowhere consider this hands free service. (WF Coupon code JH1960) Website | WF Thread | Support Desk

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9460436].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cris Cato
      Originally Posted by tobiasr View Post

      Here is a trick how to get inspiration by looking at what other list owners do...

      - site:getresponse.com <your keyword>
      - archive.aweber.com <your keyword>

      Obviously, for research and inspiration only, don't copy stuff 1:1.
      NIce, thanks for this tip Tobiasr!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9460801].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KristofferIM
    To build a relationship with your list. You must display your REAL personality.

    I know some marketers don't wanna see this fact. But it's just the way it is.

    Just think about it like normal relationships. If you put on a fake personality when meeting friends, co-workers and potential mates. Do you think it would result in GOOD relationships? Relationships where they LIKE and TRUST you as Frank Kern would have put it?

    Edit: I realized I never answered the question of were to get the content. It's in your brain.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9460428].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cris Cato
      Originally Posted by KristofferIM View Post

      To build a relationship with your list. You must display your REAL personality.

      I know some marketers don't wanna see this fact. But it's just the way it is.

      Just think about it like normal relationships. If you put on a fake personality when meeting friends, co-workers and potential mates. Do you think it would result in GOOD relationships? Relationships where they LIKE and TRUST you as Frank Kern would have put it?

      Edit: I realized I never answered the question of were to get the content. It's in your brain.
      Totally agree that putting on a FAKE relationship won't help at all in the long run. Gotta treat the list like they are good friends. Thanks!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9460804].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnnsmith
    I will suggest you to hire a specialist content writer who is an expert in writing content and know how to attract audience thorough compelling content.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9460437].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LloydPike
    I have been going to textbroker and getting my content done for as long as 1 year for now!

    I don't want to get my hands dirty so I just simply find writers from textbroker to get it done and so far I have been really satisfied!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9461152].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cris Cato
      Originally Posted by LloydPike View Post

      I have been going to textbroker and getting my content done for as long as 1 year for now!

      I don't want to get my hands dirty so I just simply find writers from textbroker to get it done and so far I have been really satisfied!
      Thanks, never heard of them so will check it out soon!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9469001].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pietjeplukt
    where to get content is not that difficult, you can use PLR, or simply google your niche for inspiration, or completely create it yourself...

    More important is that you know what your audience problem is and address that problem, if you can be the solution to their problems, they will love you

    Mailing good content is oke, but if you only send them long stories and love letters they will soon no longer open your emails

    So it is better to do short to the point emails and let them click a link to access the full content elsewhere, this also trains your subscribers to click your links :-) it really does

    but mix things up as much as you can, surprise them with something different each time while still providing much value, really help them with whatever they need

    sometimes longer mails, sometimes shorter, sometimes use an image, other times don't... one time send them funny stuff, the other time serious... if you keep doing the similar thing al the time, opens and clicks will also plummet

    Make them WANT to read your emails, any way you can, i actually had people mail me sometimes saying they had not heard from me in a few days! cool right?

    and don't be afraid to promote something, just be sure that it ads value, if you don't want to sell things to them hard-core from the start you could send them CPL offers or similar things, figure out ways to profit without making them pay too much

    But if you know how to address their biggest problems and help them solve them, they will buy anything you tell them, just don't abuse that trust or you will lose them

    good luck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9461248].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cborgrx
      You ask what topics and content to dish out?.....you have the answer in plain sight..... What got those subs onto your list in the first place? That's what you are going to expound upon. Quality content and information related to what you attracted them with in the first place.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9464703].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KreativCopy
      Originally Posted by pietjeplukt View Post

      where to get content is not that difficult, you can use PLR, or simply google your niche for inspiration, or completely create it yourself...

      More important is that you know what your audience problem is and address that problem, if you can be the solution to their problems, they will love you

      Mailing good content is oke, but if you only send them long stories and love letters they will soon no longer open your emails

      So it is better to do short to the point emails and let them click a link to access the full content elsewhere, this also trains your subscribers to click your links :-) it really does

      but mix things up as much as you can, surprise them with something different each time while still providing much value, really help them with whatever they need

      sometimes longer mails, sometimes shorter, sometimes use an image, other times don't... one time send them funny stuff, the other time serious... if you keep doing the similar thing al the time, opens and clicks will also plummet

      Make them WANT to read your emails, any way you can, i actually had people mail me sometimes saying they had not heard from me in a few days! cool right?

      and don't be afraid to promote something, just be sure that it ads value, if you don't want to sell things to them hard-core from the start you could send them CPL offers or similar things, figure out ways to profit without making them pay too much

      But if you know how to address their biggest problems and help them solve them, they will buy anything you tell them, just don't abuse that trust or you will lose them

      good luck!
      I totally agree with the above. Provide your audience with useful information which is relevant to their needs. What prompted them to sign up in the first place? What did you offer? Give them more of the same and become an authority in your niche. It is all about building trust imo.

      Keep it relatively short and simple with links to USEFUL information, or provide that information yourself, preferably on your own blog/website.

      When I sign up to mailing lists, it is because I want to benefit in some way, if someone is just promoting their stuff all the time I soon unsubscribe, but if they are providing me with useful information and insight...then I stay.

      As for 'where', you probably have lots of information yourself and there is certainly a wealth of information on the internet you can link to (depending on your area of expertise), or you could hire a writer to provide the content for you.

      Good Luck.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9467991].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cris Cato
      Originally Posted by pietjeplukt View Post

      where to get content is not that difficult, you can use PLR, or simply google your niche for inspiration, or completely create it yourself...

      More important is that you know what your audience problem is and address that problem, if you can be the solution to their problems, they will love you

      Mailing good content is oke, but if you only send them long stories and love letters they will soon no longer open your emails

      So it is better to do short to the point emails and let them click a link to access the full content elsewhere, this also trains your subscribers to click your links :-) it really does

      but mix things up as much as you can, surprise them with something different each time while still providing much value, really help them with whatever they need

      sometimes longer mails, sometimes shorter, sometimes use an image, other times don't... one time send them funny stuff, the other time serious... if you keep doing the similar thing al the time, opens and clicks will also plummet

      Make them WANT to read your emails, any way you can, i actually had people mail me sometimes saying they had not heard from me in a few days! cool right?

      and don't be afraid to promote something, just be sure that it ads value, if you don't want to sell things to them hard-core from the start you could send them CPL offers or similar things, figure out ways to profit without making them pay too much

      But if you know how to address their biggest problems and help them solve them, they will buy anything you tell them, just don't abuse that trust or you will lose them

      good luck!
      thanks for the tips! Will definitely take notes and put it to use.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9468997].message }}

Trending Topics