Market Samurai VS. SEO Spyglass

37 replies
I'm debating whether I should purchase Market Samurai or SEO Spyglass. Has anyone used both programs, and if so, which one would you say is the best?

Thanks for your help!!
#market #market samurai #samurai #seo #seo spyglass #spyglass
  • Profile picture of the author big_t
    Well, what is it exactly that you're looking for?
    Because MS and Spyglass don't have identical purposes.
    MS focuses more on keyword research (and it has many other features as well) but Spyglass focuses more on backlink research. Both are great at their own thing.

    Better yet, both offer free trials.
    Download both to try them out first hand.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1727751].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jmoney84
      Originally Posted by big_t View Post

      Well, what is it exactly that you're looking for?
      Because MS and Spyglass don't have identical purposes.
      MS focuses more on keyword research (and it has many other features as well) but Spyglass focuses more on backlink research. Both are great at their own thing.

      Better yet, both offer free trials.
      Download both to try them out first hand.
      Market Samurai does keyword research and backlink research.

      I'm looking for a tool that does both those things. I was just wondering what other Warrior's experience has been with those programs (individuals who have bought the full version) were and if they thought one was better than the other.

      Thanks for your time and help!
      Signature

      J. Money

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1728353].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cypherslock
    MS does backlink research as well, even allowing you to spy on the anchor text. I'd vote for MS.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1728192].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author big_t
      Originally Posted by cypherslock View Post

      MS does backlink research as well, even allowing you to spy on the anchor text. I'd vote for MS.
      Where do you get the anchor text info for the backlinks?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1732235].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author cypherslock
        Originally Posted by big_t View Post

        Where do you get the anchor text info for the backlinks?
        If you do an SEO competition analysis, you'll see that beside each of the top ten domains there is an arrow, click that you will have more info such as Alexa ranking, quantcast, whois and you'll also see buttons for PR ranking analysis and anchor text.Take a look at the screen shot
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1734777].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author big_t
    I have both programs and they are great IMO.
    For keyword research I would go with Market Samurai.
    For backlink research, I would go with Spyglass.

    But if I had to only pick one, I think I would go with MS. Overall you get more bang for your buck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1730391].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author UnDenIeD
    You can not compare the two as they are not in the same league - they have different purposes. Market Samurai is for people who are actively creating sites. Seo Spyglass is for people that already have sites and want to improve rankings through analyzing data.

    If you want to buy one of the two I would strongly suggest Market Samurai. Instead of SeoSpyglass, you can use a little trick: yahoo site explorer + seoquake
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1731695].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brad Callen
    MS is 100x better and more original. SEO Spyglass is a complete rip off of our products.

    The guys at MS do their own thing and I commend them for that. Good bunch of guys.

    Brad
    Signature
    iWriter.com - The Original Content Creation Service. Now with over 350,000 active writers. Let us write or re-write your articles, eBooks, blog posts and more... for as little as $1.25! 3,711,814 articles written to date!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1731865].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thrilrich
    Yes, I vote for Market Samurai as well. It's a good tool to use if u know how to maximize it to its true potential.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1733348].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Yusuf
    Traffic Travis also has backlink analysis now with info about the pagerank, IP address, anchor text, etc. per backlink.

    Here's an image of it from their website:

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1734832].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author J. David Rogers
    I hadn't realized Traffic Travis had that capability. I'll have to go back and take a look at it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1734883].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rickmci
      Originally Posted by J. David Rogers View Post

      I hadn't realized Traffic Travis had that capability. I'll have to go back and take a look at it!

      I need to take a look at both of them. I did not realize that much information was avaiable from software.
      Signature

      Visit dotProject Project Management Software for free 60 day Project Management Software.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737734].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Midas3 Consulting
    Really hard to find fault with MS, damm I only use 3 of the functions in it but damm they actually work and do their job properly and that's all you can ask for, software that ain't flakey.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1738946].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mrdeflation
      Why do MS and SEO Spyglass differ so DRASTICALLY in number of backlinks for a keyword?


      one top 10 website in MS will have "62-BLP" and that same page in SEO spyglass will have "1700"


      Im lost?
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1761353].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author theultimate1
        Originally Posted by mrdeflation View Post

        Why do MS and SEO Spyglass differ so DRASTICALLY in number of backlinks for a keyword?


        one top 10 website in MS will have "62-BLP" and that same page in SEO spyglass will have "1700"


        Im lost?
        Can someone please answer this question? I'm wondering the same as well, and would appreciate any insights on it.

        P.S.: I apologise for having "bumped" an ancient thread, but I believe it's better than opening another thread for the same purpose.
        Signature
        If Content Is Your King, Then This GhostRider.. err.. GhostWriter Is Your Knight!
        My Sample Articles
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3339280].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Dexx
          Originally Posted by theultimate1 View Post

          Can someone please answer this question? I'm wondering the same as well, and would appreciate any insights on it.

          P.S.: I apologise for having "bumped" an ancient thread, but I believe it's better than opening another thread for the same purpose.
          Are you eliminating duplicate links found?

          Spyglass can access over 700+ search engines, so thats a lot of SEs that could provide duplicate links.

          Either way, in Spyglass you can check the links that it finds...so if it says 1,700 links...and SHOWS you 1,700 different pages (where your link is at) then your answer on accuracy is clear...don't ya think? =P

          ~Dexx
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3341106].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author theultimate1
            Originally Posted by Dexx View Post

            Are you eliminating duplicate links found?

            Spyglass can access over 700+ search engines, so thats a lot of SEs that could provide duplicate links.

            Either way, in Spyglass you can check the links that it finds...so if it says 1,700 links...and SHOWS you 1,700 different pages (where your link is at) then your answer on accuracy is clear...don't ya think? =P

            ~Dexx
            With that, I'm assuming that SEO Spyglass is a better tool to look for "all" the backlinks a page/site has. Right?
            Signature
            If Content Is Your King, Then This GhostRider.. err.. GhostWriter Is Your Knight!
            My Sample Articles
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3341785].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Dexx
              I'd say so...

              MS *does* backlink checking...but was created for keyword research...

              Spyglass DOES backlink checking...that's its only purpose.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3342570].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tonyaphx
    Market Samurai is a great program to own It has help me a lot different ways if you don't have it get it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1761911].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cmck873
      I've only been working with MS for about a month now since reading about all the rave reviews in this forum, and I have to say

      B-E-A-utiful.

      It does all the work that I was opening 3 programs to do. My only wish is that I had found this forum 4 years ago when I started, it would've saved me heartache and money

      MS All the Way!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1764857].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kangen
      Originally Posted by tonyaphx View Post

      Market Samurai is a great program to own It has help me a lot different ways if you don't have it get it.
      Maket Samuri is the best i think and most orther people think the same
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3346983].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author veotis
        I've used and will continue to use SEO Elite for this purpose. Brad keeps it updated (for free) and his support is top notch. I will also use MS and Traffic Travis. I'll then remove the duplicates.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3347589].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Dexx
          Originally Posted by veotis View Post

          I've used and will continue to use SEO Elite for this purpose. Brad keeps it updated (for free) and his support is top notch. I will also use MS and Traffic Travis. I'll then remove the duplicates.
          I wish he'd make a new OSX version of SEO Elite and put all these other wannabes in their places </3 *sigh* lol
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3347749].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Brad Callen
            Originally Posted by Dexx View Post

            I wish he'd make a new OSX version of SEO Elite and put all these other wannabes in their places </3 *sigh* lol
            Me too :-) Unfortunately, making a MAC version of SEO Elite would get pretty difficult to maintain after awhile. We're working on some MAJOR additions to the current SEO Elite though. That's the #1 initiative for 2011.

            Brad
            Signature
            iWriter.com - The Original Content Creation Service. Now with over 350,000 active writers. Let us write or re-write your articles, eBooks, blog posts and more... for as little as $1.25! 3,711,814 articles written to date!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3347947].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Dexx
              Originally Posted by Brad Callen View Post

              Me too :-) Unfortunately, making a MAC version of SEO Elite would get pretty difficult to maintain after awhile. We're working on some MAJOR additions to the current SEO Elite though. That's the #1 initiative for 2011.

              Brad
              I was gonna shoot you a message a bit ago to ask if there was any plans for an update to SEO Elite since KE2 came out last year.

              Cool beans that there's one coming!

              ~Dexx
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3348538].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pyrmontvillage
    Yep...MS is for keyword research and SEO Spy Glass is used to check on your competition.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2423231].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SunCraft
      If you are thinking about SEO Spy Glass make sure you understand their deceiving sales tactics for their upgrade price first.

      This is large print from their sales copy:

      Enjoy free functionality updates for LIFE. (That's right, all the bug fixes and feature improvements are yours free of charge for life!)

      We're constantly improving SEO SpyGlass by listening to our users' suggestions and putting them all into the new release roughly every 2-3 months. All these goodies will be yours for free, for ever!*


      This is small print from their website:

      * Product enhancements covered by the SEO SpyGlass Live! Plan are offered free for 6 months since the date of purchase. When this period expires, these search engine related updates are offered on a paid basis. Without Live! Plan subscription the software is not getting algo updates and will not gather relevant data. Bug fixes and feature improvements are provided free of charge for life.

      ** SEO SpyGlass Live! Service currently includes search engines updates needed for proper extraction of data from the search engines. When you buy SEO SpyGlass, you'll get a free 6 months subscription for the Live! Plan. When the time expires, you may prolong your Live! Plan subscription on a paid basis to keep SEO SpyGlass in line with search engine algorithms. Click here to learn more about what is covered by the Live! Plan, as well as pricing information.

      and after click on the small print:

      SEO SpyGlass will alert you when the Live! Plan subscription expires. When this happens, you will have the option to extend it. The 6 months subscription will cost you less than 40% of the product's license cost at the time of purchasing the Live! Plan subscription.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2504509].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author linkmerchant
        Market Samurai is just amazing... if you have not checked it yet, just go for the Free Trial and I am sure you will get addicted to it.

        I have been using it for quite some time & can't afford to do anything online without it....
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2504901].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raja Kamil
    another vote for MS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2505025].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lvraa
    I use Market Samurai and I'm really happy with it. I created a video a few weeks ago where I show it in action: Behind the scene Traffic Insights on Tripwire Magazine - tripwire magazine

    Sorry but I have no experience with Spyglass. I have also used scrapebox and you may want to check it out e.g. for finding pages with high PR and automatic posting of comments to wordpress blogs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3340146].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IM nice guy
    SEO Spy Glass is a cool program, and I used it for a while.

    For me though, I found that I didn't really need to keep using it, and the subscription fees for being able to use their database didn't inspire me much to be honest....
    Signature

    Warriors - Try LINKVANA For Just $14 First Month, Including Credits To Try Out The System! Check it out!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3344149].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author theultimate1
      Originally Posted by IM nice guy View Post

      SEO Spy Glass is a cool program, and I used it for a while.

      For me though, I found that I didn't really need to keep using it, and the subscription fees for being able to use their database didn't inspire me much to be honest....
      Did you find a good alternative then?
      Signature
      If Content Is Your King, Then This GhostRider.. err.. GhostWriter Is Your Knight!
      My Sample Articles
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3346141].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author K_tir
    Market Samurai is much better, this program is a must-have software for keyword research.
    Signature
    JOVS Canada | JOVS US | JOVS UK | Kroatien | Vivre | Amazly
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3346794].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Brad Callen
      Originally Posted by K_tir View Post

      Market Samurai is much better, this program is a must-have software for keyword research.
      Said it perfect. MS is a keyword/niche marketing tool. It's average, at best, as an SEO tool. That's not what it was designed for.

      If you're looking for SEO then get an SEO tool. If you're looking for keyword research then get a keyword research tool. Don't get a tool that claims to do everything, because the reality is, no software can do everything (i.e. SEO AND Keyword Research) perfectly.

      Brad
      Signature
      iWriter.com - The Original Content Creation Service. Now with over 350,000 active writers. Let us write or re-write your articles, eBooks, blog posts and more... for as little as $1.25! 3,711,814 articles written to date!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3347962].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Gary Ning Lo
        Originally Posted by Brad Callen View Post

        Said it perfect. MS is a keyword/niche marketing tool. It's average, at best, as an SEO tool. That's not what it was designed for.

        If you're looking for SEO then get an SEO tool. If you're looking for keyword research then get a keyword research tool. Don't get a tool that claims to do everything, because the reality is, no software can do everything (i.e. SEO AND Keyword Research) perfectly.

        Brad
        I understand your above point but could you please recommend a good SEO tool? by good i mean best value for money

        thanks
        ~Gary
        Signature
        -------------------------------------------------------------
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3452181].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author princesschaos
    These two just can't be compared against each other.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3352423].message }}

Trending Topics