DON'T Pick the Marketing Niche...

27 replies
I've worked in a range of niches and still currently do (and no, I'm not going into them here) but all I will say is that one of those niches is the online marketing niche and boy is it a step up.

The competition is fierce. The chances of ranking in the SERPs in a decent position is near impossible. And leads are costing a FORTUNE and most aren't converting as high as other niches because they're bombarded with promos all the time.

Put it this way, the marketing niche on Facebook is costing around $1 per lead. Not too bad I know, especially when some are then nurtured into buyers.

HOWEVER, an alternative niche, that's not as heavily promoted to or as commercial and that's actually more profitable is costing around 25¢ per lead.

This happens in all forms of lead gen: Banners ads, Adwords, SEO and so on...

Far too many newbies are taking the 'easy' option and starting out marketing in the marketing niche.

The truth is that most other niches (besides the obvious such as weight loss) would be easy to break into, faster to monetise and more profitable.

So before you start yet another marketing blog on the internet giving away another marketing guidebook to build a list, think about what you're doing and pick something that others might not have thought about, a group of people who might not have seen 1001 squeeze page.

Niche selection isn't as big of a deal as people make out. Ultimately everything in life and in the world is a niche or part of a niche.

[Rant, of sorts, over]
#marketing #niche #pick
  • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
    Interesting thoughts MarketingBees, But I wouldn't exactly describe marketing or the marketing niche as taking the easy option - as you say. I'd say it's one of the toughest options, newbie or not.

    I know the sexy thing to do for a lot of people who search niches is to depend on keyword research. But I think many leave money on the table because they ignore or forget about good old fashion market research also. Just imagine, how did people find niches before Google came along.

    Many profitable niches exist that never appear on Google. What about those? I admit good old fashion market research is fading in the background (but not dying), however, it's a sleeping giant more marketers should discover or use more. IMO.

    And I agree, everything in life is a niche or part of one. Hey, that would make a good title for a rap song
    Signature
    Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
    "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
    "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9573419].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

      Many profitable niches exist that never appear on Google. What about those?
      I don't quite know what "appear on Google" means? Google is a search engine: what "appears" on it depends on what you put into it.

      I certainly agree with Marketing Bees that aspiring internet marketers should obviously avoid any IM-related niches like the plague. Getting involved with those is just about the commonest mistake that newbies make, and the commonest underlying reason for their collective failures.

      .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9574170].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Hyaku_Man
        I`m glad it`s hard. Only true marketing monsters should be in the marketing niche. Probably 90+% of all marketing info products are created by people who make no money, except from selling marketing products to noobs. "I make money online teaching others how to make money online". lol@that.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9574174].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        I don't quite know what "appear on Google" means? Google is a search engine: what "appears" on it depends on what you put into it.
        .
        One of the more popular ways people search for niches is by searching Google for (high # searches and low # competitors) long tail keywords.
        Signature
        Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
        "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
        "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9574351].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
          There is one fatal flaw every keyword tool, be it the 'official' Google keyword tool or Market Samurai or any of the others, suffers from.

          For any given keyword, everyone who puts it in gets the same results. This is why so many "niches" look so competitive - everybody is fighting over the same handful of keywords.

          That's a big reason I quit playing the SEO game. I did all the stuff you're supposed to do, and then looked at my server logs. Even before Google started playing that "information not available" nonsense, most of my search traffic came from keywords I'd have never thought of in a million years, and never showed on any of my keyword research.

          I still use the GKT. I use the search results to help find content topics and the competition to help with commercial intent. My ideal keyword is one with a) high number of searches, b) dozens or hundreds of long tail variations, and c) high competition for Adwords slots.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9574430].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
            Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

            There is one fatal flaw every keyword tool, be it the 'official' Google keyword tool or Market Samurai or any of the others, suffers from.

            For any given keyword, everyone who puts it in gets the same results. This is why so many "niches" look so competitive - everybody is fighting over the same handful of keywords.

            .
            John, maybe I should get out of the house more - but you're the only other person I've heard say that. Hopefully the Alpha's in the SEO section won't want to come after you with pitch forks and flaming torches like they did me for saying it.
            Signature
            Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
            "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
            "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9575460].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author writeaway
              Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

              John, maybe I should get out of the house more - but you're the only other person I've heard say that. Hopefully the Alpha's in the SEO section won't want to come after you with pitch forks and flaming torches like they did me for saying it.
              He's absolutely right. Niche tools tend to produce the same narrow keywords because those tools don't have human brains. Human brains categorize in terms of relationships. Keyword tools are ham-fisted because they look for keyword similarities instead of context and conceptual nearness.

              Believe it or not, one of the best keyword sources out there is REDDIT.

              I've spilled too much already I'll leave at that.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9575524].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author convictie
    "A lot of effort, a lot of reward"

    If you know a lot about internet marketing just write about it. Competition is fierce but that doesn't mean that you cannot earn a full time income in 2 years.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9574196].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Shoppers
    I told some of my students sometime ago that if you want to find a good niche, you can simply borrow some ideas from Amazon depts. Those are already researched niches and you can be saved the guess of whether its monetizable.
    Signature

    You don't need to think, just imagine! Junks of reality www.oyedelejunks.blogspot.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9574434].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Adie
    My niche is my life, my hobbies, and my interests and I do not consult Google for whatever I put into my blog. People with the same interests as mine just found my blog and the simple interaction turns to money. That's how I create my own niche.

    I can watch Korean dramas all day long while at the same time making passive income. I can go on metal detecting everyday and spend 2 hours later writing my whole day experience and still make money.

    Niche should not be researched but should be discovered from within you.
    Signature



    Moderator's Note: You're only allowed to put your own products or sites in your signature.

    Signature edited.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9574531].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by Adie View Post


      Niche should not be researched but should be discovered from within you.
      I wouldn't go as far as saying a niche shouldn't be researched. There's no one way that should or shouldn't be done to achieve it, I.M.O. Results is all that counts. But that's the good thing about niches. It allows a person to get in ... where they fit in.

      One of the biggest problems is when people limit themselves to just "one method". Then they give up if and when that "one method" doesn't work.

      There's at least 7 different ways to find a niche that I know (and many more others have used). So, why would a person limit themselves to just one method? It'd be like a mechanic limiting themselves to one tool to repair an engine or transmission.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9575365].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author @tjr
        Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

        I wouldn't go as far as saying a niche shouldn't be researched.
        Well, that's nice. The good news is that Adie's post didn't say a thing about not researching a niche either. It made mention of discovering your niche. There's a difference.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9575433].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnnyPlan
      Originally Posted by Adie View Post

      My niche is my life, my hobbies, and my interests and I do not consult Google for whatever I put into my blog. People with the same interests as mine just found my blog and the simple interaction turns to money. That's how I create my own niche.

      I can watch Korean dramas all day long while at the same time making passive income. I can go on metal detecting everyday and spend 2 hours later writing my whole day experience and still make money.

      Niche should not be researched but should be discovered from within you.
      When you love what you write about, the crowd and money will follow. There will always be a niche audience out there online that likes what you do. The trick is to make sure that others know where your site is so they can share in your passion. And, you seem to have done that already.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9575991].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Matthew Trujillo
      Originally Posted by Adie View Post

      My niche is my life, my hobbies, and my interests and I do not consult Google for whatever I put into my blog. People with the same interests as mine just found my blog and the simple interaction turns to money. That's how I create my own niche.

      I can watch Korean dramas all day long while at the same time making passive income. I can go on metal detecting everyday and spend 2 hours later writing my whole day experience and still make money.

      Niche should not be researched but should be discovered from within you.
      Great post, follow your passion and you can make money off of it!

      It's good to remember though: Doing what you love is important.

      However, getting PAID to do what you love doing is even better!

      If you like going to them gym COOL, why not get PAID to go to the gym and lift?
      Signature
      ===============
      Tired of time affiliate marketing strategies that tell you to use logic, prioritize activities, and just "make" the time? Here's the surprising reason that doesn't work, and the reason why this one strategy actually DOES.

      ===============
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9578051].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    Originally Posted by MarketingBees View Post


    The competition is fierce.
    In every niche online, the competition is fierce. You just have to find what others have not discovered yet. This is referred to even marketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9574929].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author writeaway
    There are many subniches in marketing. Subniche targeting is the key. Take backlinko for example. There are tons of marketing blogs out there but Brian picked a very tight subniche. And, he went about it in a way that is quite rare-CASE STUDIES. Now, his STW systems generates thousands of dollars in monthly income. It's all about subniche targeting. All is not lost, bro.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9575373].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author affiliatez
    In fact, the IM niche is too competitive and the pompetitors are smart enough to have better promotion strategy and the customer today is familiar with "searching" that we cannot admit they can have that information without buying!
    Signature
    Fapturbo2 introduction version 2014
    Buy virtual credit card at www.Luckygiftcard.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9575456].message }}
    • Originally Posted by affiliatez View Post

      In fact, the IM niche is too competitive and the pompetitors are smart enough to have better promotion strategy and the customer today is familiar with "searching" that we cannot admit they can have that information without buying!
      It is pretty competitive. But there are always sub niches you can find that still make targeting the marketing niche worth it. You just have to dig deep and find that sub niche
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9575458].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nohypo
    great, you are your niche.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9576142].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasondinner
    I started in the make money space almost 10 years ago and it was great.

    But today I make 98% of my money outside of it.

    I wouldn't say it is harder. It's just not as easy as it used to be.
    Signature

    "Human thoughts have the tendency to transform themselves into their physical equivalent." Earl Nightingale

    Super Affiliates Hang Out Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9577069].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AndyFrance
    I think that a very competitive niche such as MMO/IM actually is easier to build a business in than other less populated niches because the demand is huge and new potential customers is coming every day...
    Signature
    Follow my personal blog Andyfrance.com Traffic Generation + Online Marketing
    My personal Facebook Profile To follow my crazy "Dot Com Lifestyle"
    Sign up for my FREE List Building Course [Super NEWBIE Friendly] 7 Days To 100$
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9577092].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EPoltrack77
    yes, I find that there is a lot and I mean a lot of competition. Thats not such a bad thing but it can take a lot of optimizing to find your return. Really teaches you to think outside the box or a little broader.
    Signature
    Targeted Viewers! All your traffic needs in one spot. Get seen today!
    Click Here Now
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9577239].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Del
    It all comes down to strategies and methods that work well for YOU. There's so many ways to market the MMO niche. I agree there is a lot if competition but how much of that competition is actually good at what they do. Most will fail and give up which leaves room for the more dedicated. So if you dedicate yourself to your niche then I don't see a problem in making it work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9577465].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardworker2013
    That is so much true, the internet marketing and make money online niche has
    become extremely difficult. Smart internet marketers now have to seek new
    niches, there are many problems that people are looking for to get solved.
    You just have to find out these problems or needs and provide the solution
    in the form of an Ebook etc. The Weight Loss Niche is even more competitive
    in my opinion, but there are several sub-niches you can target which there is
    little or no competition.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9577604].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jasondinner
      Originally Posted by hardworker2013 View Post

      That is so much true, the internet marketing and make money online niche has
      become extremely difficult. Smart internet marketers now have to seek new
      niches, there are many problems that people are looking for to get solved.
      You just have to find out these problems or needs and provide the solution
      in the form of an Ebook etc. The Weight Loss Niche is even more competitive
      in my opinion, but there are several sub-niches you can target which there is
      little or no competition.
      Speak for yourself lol

      It's a little harder bc of the competition, but there is more than plenty of money to go around for everyone.

      You just have to be a little more precise in your marketing and potentially may need to provide more value (if you're going to show your face).

      Weight loss niche is no different. Comes down to your marketing and knowing paid traffic always helpful
      Signature

      "Human thoughts have the tendency to transform themselves into their physical equivalent." Earl Nightingale

      Super Affiliates Hang Out Here

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9577720].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MilesSharma
    You make money by telling people how you make money.
    so that they can also start making money by telling others to do the same directly or indirectly.

    anything new? yeah! you get better at doing the same exact thing. lol


    Asking from a kid who has tried and had quite a success in multiple niche from flash gaming niche to adult niche.

    Its tough when you begin your journey in any niche but when you really start to know the target consumer's actual demand/interest and their behavior after investing time and money. You will sure see success BUT a lot of people quit too early or just before when they are about to experience first "Aha" moment. and that leads to desperate feeling ultimately pushing more and more people into make money niche to be a part of this never ending cycle.

    You need to invest MONEY and time and sometimes a lot of it initially when you begin.

    I have promoted dozens of photography related affiliate offers and made a fortune but never had that amazing success with it because I never had interest in photography that resulted in poor understanding of the actual DEMAND.

    So, It all comes down to your INTEREST and NEVER GIVING UP attitude.

    About competition in marketing niche? its all YOUR marketing How YOU do marketing in this marketing niche. that's why its marketing niche!

    It's competitive? may be! but DEMAND? INSANE! Never Ending.....
    Signature
    STOP! STOP! STOP! Just Stop Wandering And Tell Me What Do You Want? Decide Now!!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9577758].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jasondinner
      Originally Posted by MilesSharma View Post

      You make money by telling people how you make money.
      so that they can also start making money by telling others to do the same directly or indirectly.
      That's my favorite part about the make money space.

      Although there are some people who actually teach how to make money based on their real experiences selling not how to make money products.

      Those are the ones you want to seek out
      Signature

      "Human thoughts have the tendency to transform themselves into their physical equivalent." Earl Nightingale

      Super Affiliates Hang Out Here

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9578085].message }}

Trending Topics