How do you react to "A Great Way for Bossy People to Make Money"

34 replies
Hi,

My subject line is basically my question. How do you react to the headline "A Great Way for Bossy People to Make Money" ?

Do you think it sounds weird? Or that it sounds off-putting? Would it drive people away as opposed to attracting them?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

best,

Boyd
#react
  • Profile picture of the author Samuel Adams
    There is a negative connotation about 'bossy people' as it's often associated with nagging. For that reason, this title would get attention, just maybe not the good kind.
    Signature

    Would you like to learn how I make $2000/month from a super easy listbuilding system?

    Click here to get my listbuilding report for FREE!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9638582].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Roth
    Banned
    Originally Posted by boydstone View Post

    Do you think it sounds weird? Or that it sounds off-putting? Would it drive people away as opposed to attracting them?
    If you're trying to attract jerks, then it will work. I'm not sure you'd want bossy people as your customers or subscribers...even if you're one of them yourself. They're very annoying people.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9638585].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onSubie
    Does your audience view itself as 'bossy'? If the idea of the headline is to relate to your audience in order to get them to buy you want them to see themselves.

    I think you would also need sales copy to support the headline. Justify the 'bossy' label.

    "My friends have always called me 'bossy'. I think of myself as assertive. But really I don't care. All I care about is the money my 'bossy' behaviour drives to my PayPal account."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9638602].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author XponentSYS
    I can't tell you if its good or not without knowing what you're promoting, and to whom.
    Signature
    "Hybrid Method" Gets 120,846 TARGETED VISITORS
    To Any Site in ANY NICHE!

    NOW FREE IN THE WAR ROOM! CLICK HERE!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9638651].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SteveSki
      My reaction is curiosity so I do believe that headline will get you clicks but the only way to know for sure is to test it. Have you driven any targeted traffic to it? Does your landing page convert?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9639009].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TishTopicsTV
        I had a title and a website with "bossy" in the title at one point. The feedback I got was much similar to that of what you are getting here. My thoughts are:

        1. Testing is the only real way to know.
        2. Does your market see themselves as bossy and like it, or hate it and want to distance themselves from it?
        3. Does your product solve a problem for bossy people? What's the problem and the solution? Will bossy people identify with that? Do you, if you feel like you are in this category? It is such a controversial word, so it may help if you identify.
        4. Dan Kennedy talks about being controversial, and taking an opinion that is extremely opposite of the ones that "hate" you or would hate your position, so maybe a little controversial title will help.
        5. Depending on if you are blogging about the topic and you are willing to get on folks "nerves" you may create conversation around the conversation and inadvertently drive, traffic, attention and sales (because ultimately you have a product that they want).

        Hmmmm, so it all depends. There are some things you to look at with regard to you, your audience, your problem, it's solution, the platform (website, blog site, etc.). Measure and track, its crucial.

        This is a great start in polling this audience, although we may not be your targeted audience. Perhaps you can find your targeted audience and ask them what they think, you may find that the opinions are a little more in line with a particular direction.

        Hope this helps, but thanks for asking...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9639042].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    It will get clicks for sure. So what you do with it after people check it out is critical.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9639070].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeffery Moss
    I don't really like the bossy term, but that's just me.

    Originally Posted by onSubie View Post

    Does your audience view itself as 'bossy'? If the idea of the headline is to relate to your

    audience in order to get them to buy you want them to see themselves.

    I think you would also need sales copy to support the headline. Justify the 'bossy' label.

    "My friends have always called me 'bossy'. I think of myself as assertive. But really I don't care. All I care about is

    the money my 'bossy' behaviour drives to my PayPal account."
    Another word for it is Type A personality. And, most times people who are assertive about life (not aggressive as there is a difference) are perceived as bossy or hostile when they are just action people who get things done.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9639815].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      I don't like it and wouldn't read whatever came next. Reason: it's designed to get a reaction and tells me nothing.

      Replace "bossy" with "take charge" or "motivated" or "self motivated" or "decisive" and you might get a better response.
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.
      It is not enough to dream, you must act. Without action, a door is just a wall.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9639831].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jeffery Moss
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        I don't like it and wouldn't read whatever came next. Reason: it's designed to get a reaction and tells me nothing.

        Replace "bossy" with "take charge" or "motivated" or "self motivated" or "decisive" and you might get a better response.
        Also, what's the real reason for using the word 'bossy', just to get a bad reaction? Most people would not consider themselves to be bossy and won't want the label attached to a product they buy.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9639849].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author timfleagle
    my personal opinion is to stay away from this subject line if i was seeing this subject line for the first I would not follow up any further.
    Signature

    Would You Like To Earn $1000's Weekly? Would You Like To Get Paid Instantly And 100% Every Time You Gave Away Our Product? If Your Answer Is YES, My Company Has The Right Work From Home Opportunity For You Sign Up For My Free Newsletter And Get All The Details: http://homebizenterprise.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9639840].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    "A Great Way for Bossy People to Make Money" ?
    I would guesstimate the number of people who self-identify as "Bossy" is mighty slim.

    Replace "bossy" with "take charge" or "motivated" or "self motivated" or "decisive"
    I agree.
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9639876].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rally2win
      Not to pile on the "bossy" theme, but I think I will

      There seems to be a conspicuous movement to " Ban Bossy " if you just Google - people who regard themselves bossy or bossy people and you might find a consistent negative connotation at the top of the search results. However, if you are pursuing more shock value than actually appealing to this niche, then you might be onto something.

      But, if like the above counseling you to steer clear of "bossy" because of that stigma, then I would follow that counsel.
      Just saying...
      R2W
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9640848].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jack Sarlo
    Do you think it sounds weird? Or that it sounds off-putting?
    both yes.

    Would it drive people away as opposed to attracting them?
    I think people won't take notice of that headline.

    It's a bit pointless the headline - I mean first of all anyone who isn't bossy will ignore it, second if by any chance anyone thinks he is a bossy person the headline doesn't have any specifics - like how will he make money?

    With all the information on the web about making money no one is going to just stop after glimpsing at that headline or pay attention. Try learning more copywriting this is a basic "guideline" in copywriting, that you have to make headlines grab the attention, interest and make people desperately want to click to find out more...

    If You're The Bossy Type This One-Of-A-Kind Formula To Make Money Was Written For You!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9641734].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author .X.
    I disagree with the consensus feedback and I love it.

    Everyone has something that stands out about them
    and that something can be stated as a positive or
    negative.

    "The critic" will drive their friends and loved ones crazy,
    but there's a needed place for them in the world - they
    are the people who makes everything better.

    The same is true of "bossy" people. Maybe nobody
    wants to be called "bossy", but they have been, and
    that's exactly who I'd want running the show in a crisis
    and if you can spin that in a positive light those people
    (people like me) will love you.

    Jerk? Only to the PC pansies of the world afraid to
    take center stage. ;-)

    It's a great headline if it stands out to the right people.

    Nobody gets ahead in this game playing it safe.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9641966].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Samuel Adams
      Originally Posted by .X. View Post


      Jerk? Only to the PC pansies of the world afraid to
      take center stage. ;-)

      It's a great headline if it stands out to the right people.

      Nobody gets ahead in this game playing it safe.

      Another thing, 'great way' is a very weak headline. Why not say, 'Bossy person's guide to earning money'. That way your shock value (bossy) is up in their face.
      Signature

      Would you like to learn how I make $2000/month from a super easy listbuilding system?

      Click here to get my listbuilding report for FREE!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9642717].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    "A Great Way for Bossy People to Make Money"

    I think it will get a lot of clicks and a lot of interest.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9641993].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      I think a lot of women will definitely be inclined to open this email
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9642284].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    "A Great Way for Bossy People to Make Money"

    I'm not sure if this even makes sense. Are you trying to attract bullies in life who are always taking people's money - or bosses who struggle themselves while treating their employees like sh*t?

    Sure you'll get clicks... i'm just curious what the sales angle will be and how you will convert these people... or why you would want to. Truth be told... much simpler and easier niches to conquer and make money in.

    The fact that you had to ask us this question suggests that you may have picked a niche/product/idea that may be an exercise in futility.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9642751].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rally2win
      Originally Posted by Randall Magwood View Post

      "A Great Way for Bossy People to Make Money"

      I'm not sure if this even makes sense. Are you trying to attract bullies in life who are always taking people's money - or bosses who struggle themselves while treating their employees like sh*t?

      Sure you'll get clicks... i'm just curious what the sales angle will be and how you will convert these people... or why you would want to. Truth be told... much simpler and easier niches to conquer and make money in.

      The fact that you had to ask us this question suggests that you may have picked a niche/product/idea that may be an exercise in futility.
      I ditto RM here because there, in psycho-social circles, is a fine line between being "bossy" vs. being a "bully" or a "jerk" to others - and just to get clicks, signups, sales, profits, etc.!

      Unfortunately, there probably might be a sizable element out there on the net that could respond enthusiastically to this campaign - based on current human condition. It almost seems blackhat in the target that it appeals to (again, almost). So, if that is your agenda, knock yourself out.

      And, if you might do well (or maybe not....), let us know.
      R2W
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9655183].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kay King
        You can analyze it to death but the only way to know if it's an effective headline is to test it against other headlines and see what works.
        Signature
        Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.
        It is not enough to dream, you must act. Without action, a door is just a wall.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9655295].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Malteaser
    I think people will either love it or hate it... if this is the result than that's great! At the end of the day we are not in this business to please everyone but rather to work with people who we will enjoy working with.

    I think it will also depend on whether you have an existing core audience reading this... if this is the case then it should work well with getting the people who you want reading it to actually read it.

    Don't be afraid to TEST and learn how your core audience will react... attention grabbing headlines bring the most clicks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9642846].message }}
  • I hate bossy people and there are tons of them out there. The problem is they will never ever admit that they are bossy. So you need to find a different way to target them.
    Signature
    soon people... Relax...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9642905].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnnyPlan
    If you really want controversy, why not go in for all that it's worth? The word bossy is actually too mild. Why not go with jerk? "Jerk's guide to earning money". Not joking about this as it will get you all the attention you want.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9644977].message }}
  • It depends on your personality really. For example someone with a bossy personality would see that and say . . . Are you talking about me?! And somebody with a passive personality would say . . . that doesn't apply to me, I don't like being bossy.

    What I'm getting at is that it would produce two different types of reactions among different people, however I don't think that headline is very effective - maybe it's not very effective because bossy people are no different than non-bossy people when it comes to making money online.

    They key also involves - who is the target audience? Are they people struggling to make money online, or established business owners? Or people looking to rise back up to the top?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9645009].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Brett Hitchcock
      If you want to attract bossy people its great but personally I wouldn't do it.

      I cannot see that a bossy person is balanced in nature especially if they believe its ok to boss people around. There are much more win/win ways to live life. Just my opinion.

      I would use some more "acceptable" terms like assertive and motivated.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9646080].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jack Sarlo
    Personally I think it just sucks. If I have to be 100% honest, I'm not John Carton sure, but it just feels awkward calling people "bossy" and the words "great way" are booooring.

    Anyone in here is bossy?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9655384].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DaleRodge
    I'm not a great fan of that personally...It just doesn't sound catchy at all and there's nothing about it that would really make me click. Bossy people don't really know they're bossy so I don't think it will attract all that many people in all honesty.

    However, what do all bossy people in common? They all have a big mouth... Something like this is much better...

    "Turn Your Mouth Into Money".

    Hope that helps,
    Dale Rodgers - The 6 Figure Marketer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9655403].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mclauchlan
    My opinion from experience would be that people who use the word bossy, are usually the ones being bossed around.

    So for me, your headline is in the wrong context, but test it & see...
    Signature
    www.johnmclauchlan.com
    Claim your FREE seat at my weekly Online Business Coaching session "Table Top Talks"

    Join The Conversation, and get your Online Business questions answered. Places limited.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9655937].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nik0
      Banned
      i don't like to be labelled and wouldn't buy a service tailored towards certain personal characteristics if that's what you can call it. Would make me feel like you're limiting me to certain methods because I'm bossy.

      I know bossy isn't the best attitude, and I admit I am definitely bossy, some associated it with nagging. My attitude is: If employees don't give a reason to nag then nagging wouldn't exist and thus I wouldn't be bossy.

      I know some might not agree (though many do agree and avoid such situations for that reason) but start to work for a couple of years with people from for example India and you probably end up being bossy as well.

      Quick example to illustrate:

      I teach someone to do a certain job, for 4 weeks in a row it's being performed as it should, week 5 the quality degrades at a fast pace (like they forgot all about it). Makes you wonder right? Hard to stay calm in such situation. However what turns out to be the issue is not that they forgot how to do the work, nope they realized how boring their job is (yes sorry data entry type of jobs are boring) and thus they start to outsource it to a brother, nephew, uncle or whatever while leaving out all kind of crucial details.

      If we worked in the same office I might've killed some people already, though it's likely these issue's wouldn't occur when they're working under your roof, eg no possibility to outsource.

      Wow drifting off quite a bit but can you imagine how frustrative such thing is? Especially when it happens over and over (yep sorry can't afford western people to do these type of jobs).
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9656127].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andre Slater
    I don't even understand it... Who are "Bossy" people what target is that...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9656237].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hometutor
    Originally Posted by boydstone View Post

    Hi,

    My subject line is basically my question. How do you react to the headline "A Great Way for Bossy People to Make Money" ?

    Do you think it sounds weird? Or that it sounds off-putting? Would it drive people away as opposed to attracting them?

    Thanks in advance for any replies.

    best,

    Boyd
    How about Self-Confident People

    My knee-jerk reaction was I'm not bossy. Even though I am a boss.

    Rick
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9656238].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lightlysalted
    Not sure why you'd want to target this niche, is there any further background you can provide?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9656243].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Work1099
    This headline would work great if your potential customers identify with being bossy (the idea resonates with their concept of who they are). This may or may not be the case.

    I'm inclined to think that many people, even if they are widely considered bossy, wouldn't have it in their definition of themselves. But, again, you may have done more research and already know it's the case. So I'll leave the rest to you.
    Signature


    Work1099 Simplifies Self-Employment.

    Get 600+ Proven Business Models and Money-Making Ideas at: http://work1099.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9656620].message }}

Trending Topics