College dropout internet marketing

by Zodiax
15 replies
I would love to hear experiences of people who went into internet marketing right out of highschool.

Thanks!
#college #dropout #internet #marketing
  • Profile picture of the author Roth
    Banned
    I started IM when I was 17 and a senior in HS. Bum Marketing was the name of the game back then and I made my first $1000 promoting products in the video game market. Halo 3 specifically back then. This was back in the day when Bum Marketing actually worked because 1) affiliate links could be placed in the articles and bylines, and 2) articles from directories ranked in the SERPs. Good times.

    BTW, if you're thinking about dropping out of school to pursue IM...I would advise against it. This is especially true if you're not paying for college.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9679409].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author grandstar
      Originally Posted by Roth View Post

      I started IM when I was 17 and a senior in HS. Bum Marketing was the name of the game back then and I made my first $1000 promoting products in the video game market. Halo 3 specifically back then. This was back in the day when Bum Marketing actually worked because 1) affiliate links could be placed in the articles and bylines, and 2) articles from directories ranked in the SERPs. Good times.

      BTW, if you're thinking about dropping out of school to pursue IM...I would advise against it. This is especially true if you're not paying for college.
      No hard feeling but I thought you were in your 40's. Bum marketing was the in thing in the mid 2000's. So that would actually make you around 27yrs.

      Any congrats on your success in IM that young
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9679420].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Roth
        Banned
        Originally Posted by grandstar View Post

        No hard feeling but I thought you were in your 40's. Bum marketing was the in thing in the mid 2000's. So that would actually make you around 27yrs. Any congrats on your success in IM that young
        Damn, 40? It's the beard, huh? Nope, I'm 25 but you're close. And bum marketing was the main bread winner for me and worked up until 2009...for me anyway. This is also when the SEO updates removed articles from the SERPs and the directories completely forbid the use of affiliate links...cloaked or uncloaked. So that's what I deduced when my accounts were banned and my income shut off like a faucet. Taught me never again to rely on Google or any other 3rd parties for my traffic and income. Anyway, thanks.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9679426].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Adrianhenry
      Originally Posted by Roth View Post

      I started IM when I was 17 and a senior in HS. Bum Marketing was the name of the game back then and I made my first $1000 promoting products in the video game market. Halo 3 specifically back then. This was back in the day when Bum Marketing actually worked because 1) affiliate links could be placed in the articles and bylines, and 2) articles from directories ranked in the SERPs. Good times.

      BTW, if you're thinking about dropping out of school to pursue IM...I would advise against it. This is especially true if you're not paying for college.
      Definitely agree with this statement. Its a hard road so it will always be nice to have the cushion of a college education to fall back on if you ever needed it (which I hope you never would)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9679610].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TopTier Profits
    I started IM when I was around 14, so when I was still at school (nothing major, few hundred per month).

    Went to college as I didn't really know what I wanted to do (and to please family, you know the deal). After about a month into the course, I was like "what am I doing here?" so I went home, started reading as much info as possible regarding IM then two months later, I went full time.

    That means I've been doing internet marketing now for about 8 years (I'm 22). For the past 3 and a half years I've been pulling in 6 figures/year.

    I wouldn't change a thing. Hustle hard and you can achieve whatever you want.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9679435].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author agmccall
    Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

    I would love to hear experiences of people who went into internet marketing right out of highschool.

    Thanks!
    For what reason?

    al
    Signature

    A bar of iron cost $5. Made into horseshoes, it's worth $12. Made into needles, it's worth $3500. Made into balance springs for watches, it's worth $300,000. Your value is determined by what you are able to make of yourself

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9679471].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Miguelito203
    Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

    I would love to hear experiences of people who went into internet marketing right out of highschool.

    Thanks!
    I don't think being successful in IM has anything to do with when you get into the game, so age isn't the issue. It's more about mindset. Learn about the various, legitimate options to make money online, implement one or more of them, and duplicate your success.

    Good luck,
    Joey
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9679544].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tauhidbd1993
    Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

    I would love to hear experiences of people who went into internet marketing right out of highschool.

    Thanks!
    After completing my 12th class, I started working in this section. Still I am doing this work now. Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9680019].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author samlee
    College education is essential if you want a head start in your career. But it is not everything and ultimately it not so much what you have learned in application to your job but rather that nice looking degree cert to show your potential employer.

    You do not have to drop out of college to pursue internet marketing as you can try to balance the two. Earning a degree and at the same time some bucks and a whole lot of valuable experiences.

    But there are people who knows what they want and have made a conscious decision as it is what they want to be and has already taste some sort of success.

    One example is Naidy Phoon - a successful internet market who has launched a series of great products in WSO and JVZoo and has drop out of college at 19.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9680097].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Entrecon
    If you think you want to go into IM instead of college, i would just suggest you do both. Just make sure your degree is in something like business or marketing. That way you can blend the education of hard knocks/doing with the formal education of college.
    Signature

    Visit My website http://kipferguson.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9680129].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Roth
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Entrecon View Post

      If you think you want to go into IM instead of college, i would just suggest you do both. Just make sure your degree is in something like business or marketing. That way you can blend the education of hard knocks/doing with the formal education of college.
      Bad idea. A degree in business or marketing is completely useless. Higher education has turned into a vocational training. You have to learn specific skills and receive specific degrees for them to pay you back and be of any real benefit.

      STEM, engineering, accounting, hell even graphic design. Anything specific and pigeonholed is much better than a liberal arts, businees, marketing, poli sci, etc.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9680696].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author heavysm
        Originally Posted by Roth View Post

        Bad idea. A degree in business or marketing is completely useless. Higher education has turned into a vocational training. You have to learn specific skills and receive specific degrees for them to pay you back and be of any real benefit.

        STEM, engineering, accounting, hell even graphic design. Anything specific and pigeonholed is much better than a liberal arts, businees, marketing, poli sci, etc.
        I certainly didn't drop out of college for my business, but my degree is definitely in something that most people question the practical job-related uses of: philosophy Lol

        In a way i consider my higher education experience to be the sort of endurance test for ensuring 1000% that i wanted to keep going with my business.

        If an entrepreneur is questionable about whether they should go the higher education -> job route in life then I say go to school and see what happens.

        Most business minded people who are subjected to this situation feel an inherent need to break away and so the desire to work for themselves rather than get a job after they graduate (if they finish) transcends the experience of being in a purely academic environment. And i believe this reveals the true desire and natural drive of the person; even when made to wait they can't help but do their own thing working for themselves.

        Having received my degree, even in such a non-relevant field as philosophy, it was both empowering and forced me to evolve intellectually and within my business. I ran my business before, during and after graduation and i wouldn't have had my experience any other way.

        I can, however, understand the desire to dropout to establish a business. Higher education, in whatever form, doesn't fit all pallets of desire and only more so is true for business.

        You can have a completed experience with college/higher education/whatever but it definitely isn't a prerequisite for business. It can, however, be very fun to meld the two to see what new and unique experiences with personal and intellectual growth you can have if you stuck with school and ran a business rather than leaving one for the other in your life's path.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9680835].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
          Banned
          Originally Posted by heavysm View Post

          Having received my degree, even in such a non-relevant field as philosophy, it was both empowering and forced me to evolve intellectually and within my business. I ran my business before, during and after graduation and i wouldn't have had my experience any other way.
          Same here.

          http://www.warriorforum.com/off-topi...e-dropout.html


          .
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9680884].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Roth
          Banned
          Originally Posted by heavysm View Post

          I certainly didn't drop out of college for my business, but my degree is definitely in something that most people question the practical job-related uses of: philosophy Lol
          Me too. I have a BA in Communications and a BA in Philosophy.

          Originally Posted by heavysm View Post

          In a way i consider my higher education experience to be the sort of endurance test for ensuring 1000% that i wanted to keep going with my business.
          Eh, if it was free, sure. But it's more of a financial investment than anything else. Sure, some of us {including myself} go to college to learn more about the world and really get an education. But that's not it's function anymore {if it ever was}, it's vocational training, or at least it should be to maximize potential ROI.

          Originally Posted by heavysm View Post

          If an entrepreneur is questionable about whether they should go the higher education -> job route in life then I say go to school and see what happens.
          Depends on the situation. I think it needs to be a really calculated decision as much as any other fininncial investment. People are wrong to blindly say "you have to go to college". As are those who say "you don't have to have it". It depends. But the real truth is that it's all about what value a person can bring to the market. Degree is a means to that end...sometimes.

          In today's economy, creating a job is often better than finding a job. Whether you work for yourself or someone else, you must have perceived value to exchange for money.

          Originally Posted by heavysm View Post

          Having received my degree, even in such a non-relevant field as philosophy, it was both empowering and forced me to evolve intellectually and within my business. I ran my business before, during and after graduation and i wouldn't have had my experience any other way.
          Good for you. Understand that not everyone else feels the same way you do, though.

          Originally Posted by heavysm View Post

          I can, however, understand the desire to dropout to establish a business. Higher education, in whatever form, doesn't fit all pallets of desire and only more so is true for business.
          I can understand that too, however, as someone who's been there before. I'm in somewhat of a position to advise strongly against such tendencies.

          Originally Posted by heavysm View Post

          You can have a completed experience with college/higher education/whatever but it definitely isn't a prerequisite for business. It can, however, be very fun to meld the two to see what new and unique experiences with personal and intellectual growth you can have if you stuck with school and ran a business rather than leaving one for the other in your life's path.
          Depends on the person's situation. I still stand by what I said, and if I could do it again, I would have studied engineering or something more valuable than Media and Philosophy. Granted, I work in {digital} media and I use my degree. But I know that's not the case for a lot of people with other broad or useless degrees. Guess we'll agree to disagree.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9680932].message }}
  • I will recommend that you do internet marketing on part time and only leave the job after you have started getting a reasonable income from your business that way it will work for you. Online business has some similarities with he offline business
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9680939].message }}

Trending Topics