If you are not a serious marketer what are you?

21 replies
This thread is not exactly a rant nor a pet peeve, in fact I was initially fairly amused by the occurrence of the terms "serious marketer(s)" or "serious IMers" appearing on the forum here and there.

However, the term has stuck with me and niggled at me for the last few days so I realise now that perhaps that term actually, shall we say, "irked" me more than it actually amused me.

There have been a few threads of late with those terms (or similar) in the subject title, for instance one asking for opinions only from serious marketers on a particular subject, I have also seen threads from people ONLY wanting help from serious IMers/marketers and another today asking whether serious IMers use XP or Vista (sorry "smeatz", really not meaning to single you out it is just that I made a silly comment in your thread along with my serious answer and it was your thread that really got me thinking more about this today, no other reason).

So I got to thinking, why does it irk me? I think mainly because the opposite of 'serious' would be something along the lines of 'silly', thereby implying that if you are not a serious marketer you must be a silly marketer which also implies you are doing this just as a hobby.

I think when posters have used the term "serious marketer" or the like, what they are actually implying is anyone who has "made it" and therefore, is earning lots of money at this.

Well that's not my interpretation of a serious marketer, or a serious business person, either on or offline. Mine would be that yes, of course it can include businesses who are making money at this but also someone who has determination for their business to succeed, who keeps trying new ways to get it off the ground, who never gives up when inevitable obstacles come their way, which they will, someone who strives to learn from any mistake they make whilst on their journey, someone who is so serious about their business and wanting to succeed (and success can mean many different things to many different people) that they just never give up, they just pick themselves up, dust themselves off and get back on that horse.

That is how I view myself, I am NOT earning vast amounts of money with my business YET - I earn differing amounts here and there whilst I finalise how I want to run my business and I never give up (have been working online one way or another now for around 5 years), I have a steely determination that cannot be shifted!

However, I am not a big earner, I cannot point you at a ton of successes just some minor ones but does that make me someone who is not serious about their business, am I not a "serious marketer" I think I am, no wait, I KNOW I am.. what about you?

What are your thoughts on all of this, I would be very interested to read anyone's views on this.

Sue
PS Sorry that is all a bit long winded, I am not a writer by nature more a designer and I am darn sure someone like SteveW, John Taylor, Roger (Exrat), Paul Myers and a host of others here could have said the above in a much better way..
#marketer #serious
  • Profile picture of the author grumpyjacksa
    a serious IM'er is someone who is willing to take action...

    in any situation you will have people serious about doing something - and those only talking about it

    so i can understand that some people are not willing to waste their time on people that only talk - and never take action because it seems like too much work

    maybe we should refer to the heavy hitters as "professional" marketers - since they do business on a professional level (if you look at their thinking and way of doing things)

    just my 0.02c
    Signature
    Ex-ghostwriter now writing exclusive PLR ebooks - Limited PLR Club
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[964281].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Susan Hope
      Originally Posted by grumpyjacksa View Post

      a serious IM'er is someone who is willing to take action...

      in any situation you will have people serious about doing something - and those only talking about it

      so i can understand that some people are not willing to waste their time on people that only talk - and never take action because it seems like too much work

      maybe we should refer to the heavy hitters as "professional" marketers - since they do business on a professional level (if you look at their thinking and way of doing things)

      just my 0.02c
      Thanks for your input.

      I have to agree with Roger though when he says this:

      I think 'professional' has the same ring to it, and therefore the same negative connotations as 'serious' in certain scenarios.
      Cheers
      Sue
      Signature
      One-to-One WordPress Coaching Service Available at Low Hourly Rate - Let the frustration end now! WordPress Installs, Theme Design, Site Tweaks & other WordPress services available
      Find me on Pinterest: PINTEREST
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[964382].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Adrian Cooper
    If you are serious - take action.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[964291].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
      Hi Sue

      I'd imagine that when people use the term "serious marketers" they're referring to those who market full-time, as opposed to the dabblers, who might just see IM as a part-time venture or hobby. I wouldn't be too concerned with the phraseology.

      It does conjure up images of frustrated members wanting to reply to threads about serious marketers, but holding back because they're just too trivial to participate

      It's like the threads that ask for "honest opinions". I always think "Dang it! I was really hoping to be able to lie through my teeth!" :rolleyes:


      Frank
      Signature
      TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[964322].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sahi
        yes, serious marketer is a full time marketer, a marketer who takes action but now a days the situation has become so confusing that it sometimes become really hard to distinguish between a serious marketer, and a person who just loves to talk, and has never done something that he talks about or gives advice, and that's why people use the words "serious marketers".
        Signature

        Get your Brand mentions/Interviews in top magazines around the US & UK like Forbes, Harvard EDU, American Express, INC, Entrepreneur, LA weekly, and many more
        Email Me for more details and share your requirements.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[964343].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Susan Hope
        Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

        Hi Sue

        I'd imagine that when people use the term "serious marketers" they're referring to those who market full-time, as opposed to the dabblers, who might just see IM as a part-time venture or hobby. I wouldn't be too concerned with the phraseology.
        True, perhaps I was being a little too sensitive, I see your point.

        It does conjure up images of frustrated members wanting to reply to threads about serious marketers, but holding back because they're just too trivial to participate
        Yep I have some times, I think, had something of value I could have added to the thread but didn't because it specifically asked for a certain type of WF member.

        It's like the threads that ask for "honest opinions". I always think "Dang it! I was really hoping to be able to lie through my teeth!" :rolleyes:


        Frank
        Yeah I often chortle at those and want to go and post something funny but have not in case it gets taken as me being sarcastic, which probably it would have been LOL

        Thanks for the input Frank
        Sue
        Signature
        One-to-One WordPress Coaching Service Available at Low Hourly Rate - Let the frustration end now! WordPress Installs, Theme Design, Site Tweaks & other WordPress services available
        Find me on Pinterest: PINTEREST
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[964389].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ExRat
      Hi grumpyjacksa,

      I think 'professional' has the same ring to it, and therefore the same negative connotations as 'serious' in certain scenarios.

      Hi SusanneUK,

      People come in all shapes, shades and sizes. I can see a justification for the use of these words when someone tries to act like something they are not, and by doing so, they are likely to cause grief to other people.

      For example, if someone is putting themselves forward as 'serious' or 'professional' and trying to network with others, but once a JV is procured, it turns out that it was an act and they let the other side down - then I can understand why others would use these words to try and filter out time-wasters. And I can see the justification for their use in other similar scenarios, too.

      But along with this, you also get those who use these words in a discussion forum to throw (often indirect) barbs at others, about their level of success, based inappropriately on their 'seriousness'.

      These type of uses often say as much about the 'thrower' as the 'receiver'.

      Someone who tries too hard to make themselves appear as 'serious' or 'professional' in the wrong type of circumstance (such as a personal forum spat), is often just highlighting the fact that regardless of their alleged financial success, they could use a lifestyle coach (indirect barb intended ).

      Put another way, if your business isn't built totally around networking, and continually procuring new partnerships (and wouldn't wither and die without them) and therefore projecting an image, you're not as inclined to give a monkey's what anyone thinks about you, and you might even enjoy 'cocking a snook' at those are forced to care.

      I think it's fair to say that with the many different measures of success, there is a certain group that has 'earning the right to be whatever they want' as a priority and who would class some of the most valuable aspects of freedom through success as the freedom to just be themselves, without demands being placed upon them to care about appearing serious or professional, as their success has nothing to do with their appearance.

      This is quite clear when you listen to the gripes of people who are still in the rat race, and all of the talk of 'working in your pyjamas.' Richard Branson's 'office' (his words) on his Caribbean island Necker is a hammock. Obviously, he's neither serious nor professional when it comes to business.

      Signature


      Roger Davis

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[964347].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Susan Hope
        Originally Posted by ExRat View Post


        Hi SusanneUK,

        People come in all shapes, shades and sizes. I can see a justification for the use of these words when someone tries to act like something they are not, and by doing so, they are likely to cause grief to other people.

        For example, if someone is putting themselves forward as 'serious' or 'professional' and trying to network with others, but once a JV is procured, it turns out that it was an act and they let the other side down - then I can understand why others would use these words to try and filter out time-wasters. And I can see the justification for their use in other similar scenarios, too.
        Yep I get that, in fact I have had similar kinds of reasons for using this terminology pointed out to me on this thread already, which I had not thought through, so I agree with this as well and again, think I was being a little sensitive to the use of the word "Serious" (also see Andy's response).

        But along with this, you also get those who use these words in a discussion forum to throw (often indirect) barbs at others, about their level of success, based inappropriately on their 'seriousness'.

        These type of uses often say as much about the 'thrower' as the 'receiver'.

        Someone who tries too hard to make themselves appear as 'serious' or 'professional' in the wrong type of circumstance (such as a personal forum spat), is often just highlighting the fact that regardless of their alleged financial success, they could use a lifestyle coach (indirect barb intended ).
        This is very true and I would call those types of posters "the pretenders" and I bet now I am offending some people, not meaning to of course.

        Put another way, if your business isn't built totally around networking, and continually procuring new partnerships (and wouldn't wither and die without them) and therefore projecting an image, you're not as inclined to give a monkey's what anyone thinks about you, and you might even enjoy 'cocking a snook' at those are forced to care.

        I think it's fair to say that with the many different measures of success, there is a certain group that has 'earning the right to be whatever they want' as a priority and who would class some of the most valuable aspects of freedom through success as the freedom to just be themselves, without demands being placed upon them to care about appearing serious or professional, as their success has nothing to do with their appearance.

        This is quite clear when you listen to the gripes of people who are still in the rat race, and all of the talk of 'working in your pyjamas.' Richard Branson's 'office' (his words) on his Caribbean island Necker is a hammock. Obviously, he's neither serious nor professional when it comes to business.

        Thanks so much Roger for your input, I always appreciate your in depth answers and you certainly gave me a lot to think about, again LOL

        Sue
        Signature
        One-to-One WordPress Coaching Service Available at Low Hourly Rate - Let the frustration end now! WordPress Installs, Theme Design, Site Tweaks & other WordPress services available
        Find me on Pinterest: PINTEREST
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[964430].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ExRat
          Hi Sue,

          No probs. Most of the posts I have seen with requirements placed upon the person replying, are not worth the time anyway, especially if you're a 'serious marketer'.

          Many that I have seen are asking for a testimonial in exchange for a free review copy of a $7 info-product.

          'Serious marketers only - let me bribe you to whore out your name and reputation in order to save you $7'.

          Something wrong there, right?
          Signature


          Roger Davis

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[964458].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Susan Hope
            Originally Posted by ExRat View Post

            Hi Sue,

            No probs. Most of the posts I have seen with requirements placed upon the person replying, are not worth the time anyway, especially if you're a 'serious marketer'.

            Many that I have seen are asking for a testimonial in exchange for a free review copy of a $7 info-product.

            'Serious marketers only - let me bribe you to whore out your name and reputation in order to save you $7'.

            Something wrong there, right?
            Utterly!

            Sue
            Signature
            One-to-One WordPress Coaching Service Available at Low Hourly Rate - Let the frustration end now! WordPress Installs, Theme Design, Site Tweaks & other WordPress services available
            Find me on Pinterest: PINTEREST
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[964464].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
              Let's take a hypothetical situation here.

              I'm a tech dunce and freely admit it.

              So let's say I need help with my WordPress blog because it's all FUBAR.

              I'm going to ask for somebody "proficient" with WordPress to help me. I don't
              want somebody who's just fooling around and knows bits and pieces. I
              need a real expert.

              I might or might not use the word serious.

              Point is, you're bothered by a word.

              What's a word?

              It's not a gun or a bomb. It's a word.

              People get way too hung up on words. It's almost like some people just
              look for a reason to snap your neck off if you even breathe on them the
              wrong way.

              The problem is, we've been conditioned to respond to words right from
              the cradle. Your mother points at you with her finger waving it in your
              face after you broke a vase and says, "bad, bad."

              So we associate "bad" with something that's not good.

              Until Michael Jackson came along and gave it a whole new meaning.

              Don't let words run your life.

              If somebody asks for a "serious" marketer to help them or whatever,
              just try to understand what it is they are asking for and then, if you can
              help them, do it. If not, don't get all bent out of shape over it.

              You'll live a lot longer that way.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[964498].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Susan Hope
                Steven thanks for your input as well. Your hypothetical situation also does make it much clearer, again, I was being sensitive and admit that but no longer - bit of a shock to me really as I don't normally let words bother me that much so a shock to see I fell into that trap.

                Your post also reminds me of what my dear Mum always said to me (who, would have pointed out the same as you guys have - if she had been here - she died last December) which was..

                "Sticks and stones may break my bones but rude words never hurt me"

                And because she taught me that is one of the reasons I don't normally fall into that trap, still this reminds me, we are none of us perfect.

                Thanks again Steven.

                Sue
                Signature
                One-to-One WordPress Coaching Service Available at Low Hourly Rate - Let the frustration end now! WordPress Installs, Theme Design, Site Tweaks & other WordPress services available
                Find me on Pinterest: PINTEREST
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[964523].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
    I think the day I become a 'serious' marketer will be the day I stop doing it.


    Suzanne, I think you know the answer to your question and why you're asking it.

    You're not as successful yet as you'd like, so every time you see those terms it makes you ask yourself why you're not yet at that point. In your defence your mind is telling you that they're misusing the terms and it's the fault of the stupid poster for using such annoying words

    It's just your insecurity bubble up to the surface and asking why the 'evidence' of the intelligence and business acumen that you know you have hasn't shown itself in the form of tons of money yet.

    It's a good thing because it's signalling you to get off your behind and make it happen, but it's probably a little annoying too, because who wants to be reminded that they're not as successful as they'd hoped yet?

    Thanks for sharing though - it's the same for everyone so I'm sure most people can relate.

    Andy
    Signature

    nothing to see here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[964383].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Susan Hope
      Darn it! Andy how the heck do you do that??? I think you hit the nail FIRMLY on my head, I mean the head.. LOL

      AND you knew that I knew!!! flippin eck.. I vote Andy for WF Councillor

      Seriously, I am impressed, I had not seen it until you said it and then it hit me, you are completely correct and now I will worry about saying anything else to you ever again because you can apparently read my mind when even I cannot (just kidding about not speaking to you again).

      Thanks Andy, that really has helped more than perhaps you could know - no wait, you will know.

      Sue

      PS

      Had to answer Andy there before Roger for obvious reasons, going to read over Rogers response again now.

      Originally Posted by Andyhenry View Post

      I think the day I become a 'serious' marketer will be the day I stop doing it.


      Suzanne, I think you know the answer to your question and why you're asking it.

      You're not as successful yet as you'd like, so every time you see those terms it makes you ask yourself why you're not yet at that point. In your defence your mind is telling you that they're misusing the terms and it's the fault of the stupid poster for using such annoying words

      It's just your insecurity bubble up to the surface and asking why the 'evidence' of the intelligence and business acumen that you know you have hasn't shown itself in the form of tons of money yet.

      It's a good thing because it's signalling you to get off your behind and make it happen, but it's probably a little annoying too, because who wants to be reminded that they're not as successful as they'd hoped yet?

      Thanks for sharing though - it's the same for everyone so I'm sure most people can relate.

      Andy
      Signature
      One-to-One WordPress Coaching Service Available at Low Hourly Rate - Let the frustration end now! WordPress Installs, Theme Design, Site Tweaks & other WordPress services available
      Find me on Pinterest: PINTEREST
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[964401].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author traxmaker
    Originally Posted by SusanneUK View Post


    So I got to thinking, why does it irk me? I think mainly because the opposite of 'serious' would be something along the lines of 'silly', thereby implying that if you are not a serious marketer you must be a silly marketer which also implies you are doing this just as a hobby.
    I also had this opinion. I've saw many threads with the "Serious Marketer's" theme and to me, being a newbie and all, it almost feels as though they are putting me down and saying I am not serious or not truly trying. (do not take offense to that its just mho) However I know that is not what they mean to put off as, that is just my general perception. At any rate, for me its actually encouraging. Just makes me want to try that much harder to learn all that I can.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[964391].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BIG Mike
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[964513].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Susan Hope
      Originally Posted by BIG Mike View Post

      I'm definitely not a serious marketer, so I never respond to those threads as I'm obviously not qualified :rolleyes:

      However, I am a successful businessman who approaches his business activities seriously
      oh nicely put!!

      And I know this to be true because I have laughed at many of your posts AND also have some of your products.

      Thanks Mike.
      Sue
      Signature
      One-to-One WordPress Coaching Service Available at Low Hourly Rate - Let the frustration end now! WordPress Installs, Theme Design, Site Tweaks & other WordPress services available
      Find me on Pinterest: PINTEREST
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[964527].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stephen Root
    My opinion is that serious marketer is a marketer that tests and tries to evolve. The rest are just marketers. It doesn't mean that are not serious about their business but they are definately not going to the top like OCD testers are.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[964532].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dsmpublishing
    To me a serious internet marketer is one that will try lots of different things and not be afraid of a new method.

    kind regards


    sam
    X
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[964936].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
    I think a 'serious marketer' means.......

    Whatever you think it does. We all put our own meaning on - so the phrase is pretty meaningless unless you give it some definition before using it.
    Signature

    nothing to see here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[964947].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dustin_M
    I am a 'seriously' bad internet marketer

    But that isn't stopping me from trying!
    Signature

    Are You Ready? It's Coming!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[965348].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EdmundDantes
    To me it just seems like profiling, a very vague and ambiguous one at that. Serious as in stern or professional? I think when they use that term, they are actually looking for a different term starting with the letter S. Successful. I bet if the people using the term serious marketer would switch it to successful marketer, there would be less confusion.

    I believe a serious marketer is someone who spends a majority of their time marketing, or have spent a majority of their time marketing. At one point, you can become so good, that you hire other people to do the majority of the work for you, and now you can just relax and enjoy paychecks.

    Either way, I think a clarification including the phrase successful would actually help. After all if you are a successful marketer then you would definitely be able to assist those who are looking for help, seeking those serious marketers.

    my .02
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[965376].message }}

Trending Topics