Step 2 - Make a list of all the top 20 sites for each keyword.
Step 3 - Look for blogs or websites that sell advertising space such as banner ads or Adsense ads.
Step 4 - Buy a Adwords Placement Targeting ad spot on the blog/website to get your ad amongst the Adsense ads. Bid high to have your ad occupy the whole Adsense block, get the high CTR, then lower your bid. You can also buy a banner ad on the site if they sell it or you can ask them if they would sell a banner ad spot to you.
Example: I did a Google search on 'home business' and found a site Home Business Mag that sells banner ad spots.
More ways to get traffic:
- Subscribe to the RSS feed using Google Reader and Bloglines if it is a blog and post a comment whenever a new post is made.
- Consider being a guest author to get your own articles on the blog/website and get traffic.
- 'List swap' with the list of the owner
- Link exchange to build backlinks
- If it is a high-trafficked article on an article directory, put in a short comment to get your website link in there
- Create a joint venture
Step 5 - Expand this system into long-tail keywords and other search engines like Yahoo and MSN.
Step 6 - Study the backlink structure of the top sites and create a blog/website for each keyword to enter and break into the top 20.