Paying 70.000$ for a website, should I do it?

43 replies
Dear warriors,

I got an interesting offer to buy a website (4 years old) from an advertising company, which exists already over 25 years.

The website make now +4.500$ turnover a month (55.000$ Last 12 months, best year)
Advertisers pay CPM, CPC & CPS

They ask 70.000$ + VAT.

I will get the license of using the software.

They will still host(20$ a month), maintain(Free) it and take 33% commission of each advertiser they bring. They want to sell it, because they want to focus on sales and not on content and promotion.

Alexa rank TOP 100.000 (From western countries) - 250K unique visitors a month
Niche Automotive (My preferred niche)

I can't disclose the website at this moment (Sorry)

Good deal, or walk away?
#paying #website
  • Profile picture of the author AudioMusicHQ
    Yea you should
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9731708].message }}
  • It seems like a good idea looking from the outside in, but you should still do your due diligence in making sure that everything is the way that it's claimed to be as far as

    *amount of traffic

    *quality of traffic

    *consistency

    *ROI

    Making your money back in less than 2 years is a dream. Its definitely worth entertaining. I wouldn't disclose it either if i were you But good luck on the opportunity, make a wise decision after doing your own due diligence.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9731720].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
    Hey Allegandro,

    Tough call without more information. The best you can hope to receive here is relatively ill-informed replies. Not your fault; not the fault of those replying. It's a catch-22 for you: you need information, but to get it you must provide more information, and you can't do that or someone else may snag the deal out from under you.

    Aside from other things, I'm a web developer. I can tell you this at least: I'd at least be interested.

    - 15 X monthly earnings isn't unheard of, certainly, but there may be wiggle-room to negotiate them down.

    - Determine if income is accurate.

    - Determine if income can be sustained and grown.

    - Can you host elsewhere? Maintain yourself? (Or outsource.)

    - Can you not get your own advertisers? You're then better off 33%.

    - Are they being honest about their reason for selling?

    Tom
    Signature

    I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9731721].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Get Rich Methods View Post

      Hey Allegandro,

      Tough call without more information. The best you can hope to receive here is relatively ill-informed replies. Not your fault; not the fault of those replying. It's a catch-22 for you: you need information, but to get it you must provide more information, and you can't do that or someone else may snag the deal out from under you.

      Aside from other things, I'm a web developer. I can tell you this at least: I'd at least be interested.

      - 15 X monthly earnings isn't unheard of, certainly, but there may be wiggle-room to negotiate them down.

      - Determine if income is accurate.

      - Determine if income can be sustained and grown.

      - Can you host elsewhere? Maintain yourself? (Or outsource.)

      - Can you not get your own advertisers? You're then better off 33%.

      - Are they being honest about their reason for selling?

      Tom
      The Honesty and pure Bluntness is appreciated, however there wasn't enough information given to begin with to even start to give this young man the proper advice that he may need.

      Which as you said, is a double edge sword because if he were to disclose too much information on the particulars of the online business, the deal might get swept from under him.

      I too would advise seeing if you could provide your own advertisers. That would be so much better than 33% commission on all future endeavors.

      As long as they're still hosting for you, and getting 33% commissions, its as if they still have a piece of their business and at the end of the day they would still be profiting from a business that they sold to you.

      There are so many more stipulations that would have to be considered when analyzing this deal.

      So as i said before, please do your own do diligence/ research to see if buying this website would be a feasible thing to do.

      -some research and analysis could be done for you but that would cause you to have to disclose details about the website, which in itself would be ill-advised.

      Therefore you should do it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9731775].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author techservice
    Walk away, the fact that you asked for advise here means you lack the experience to make it work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9731751].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
      Originally Posted by Big Energy View Post

      Walk away, the fact that you asked for advise here means you lack the experience to make it work.
      We all have to start somewhere, but this isn't bad advice. In fact, he might just be saving you $70K. Consider it, at least. Worse case scenario: get your feet wet with low-cost ventures until you get some experience under your belt.

      Tom
      Signature

      I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9731760].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kilgore
      Originally Posted by Big Energy View Post

      Walk away, the fact that you asked for advise here means you lack the experience to make it work.
      I don't necessarily agree that you should -- or shouldn't -- walk away. But the post above brings up two good points:
      1. That site may be worth $70,000 -- or even $1 million -- to someone else, but it doesn't mean it's worth anything to you. Buying a website is not like stocks and then collecting dividend checks. Someone needs to manage it. Someone needs to maintain it. And someone needs to improve it. A website that doesn't change is a depreciating asset -- probably a significantly depreciating asset -- so the real question isn't whether we think the site is worth $70,000, but whether you'll be able to get $70,000 of value out of it. And that has just as much to do with your skills, talents, and interests as with its past balance sheets.
      2. A public forum is a bad place to look for advice about a large financial investment. You'll never be able to (nor should you) provide adequate detail about the site, you're skills, your finances, etc. to get a helpful answer. At best you'll get some helpful posts (as some of the ones above above) with some things you might want to consider as you make your decision. You'll also get a lot of well-meaning people giving you advice based on what they'd do (also as some of the ones above) -- but their situation, knowledge, skills and financial status is most likely very different from yours, so I think that type of advice is more likely to harm than hurt, as well meaning as it is.
      So yes, walk away, but not necessarily from the deal (only you can be the judge of that), but from the forum. Speak about this with a financial advisor or at least a trusted friend. If you want help from the WF, I'd change your question (and your expectations) to something more along the lines of "What are some of the considerations that someone should make when buying a website?" (though my guess is that if you use the search function, you'll find some already helpful answers.

      Good luck with whatever you decide!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9731804].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author beek
      Originally Posted by Big Energy View Post

      Walk away, the fact that you asked for advise here means you lack the experience to make it work.
      +1

      Also what's up with 33% if they bring customers? Pretty much they sell the business and risk and they still get 33%. Good deal for them and bad deal for you. If it was 3% ok....but 33?
      You end up with 66% before expenses....
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9731970].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Devilfish168
    Originally Posted by allegandro View Post

    Dear warriors,

    I got an interesting offer to buy a website (4 years old) from an advertising company, which exists already over 25 years.

    The website make now +4.500$ turnover a month (55.000$ Last 12 months, best year)
    Advertisers pay CPM, CPC & CPS

    They ask 70.000$ + VAT.

    I will get the license of using the software.

    They will still host(20$ a month), maintain(Free) it and take 33% commission of each advertiser they bring. They want to sell it, because they want to focus on sales and not on content and promotion.

    Alexa rank TOP 100.000 (From western countries) - 250K unique visitors a month
    Niche Automotive (My preferred niche)

    I can't disclose the website at this moment (Sorry)

    Good deal, or walk away?
    70 bucks so cheap?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9731758].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author techservice
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9731837].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author allegandro
      Originally Posted by J4industries View Post

      It seems like a good idea looking from the outside in, but you should still do your due diligence in making sure that everything is the way that it's claimed to be as far as

      *amount of traffic

      *quality of traffic

      *consistency

      *ROI

      Making your money back in less than 2 years is a dream. Its definitely worth entertaining. I wouldn't disclose it either if i were you But good luck on the opportunity, make a wise decision after doing your own due diligence.
      Thank you for the advice, for sure I will look more into it, it will not be an overnight decision.

      Traffic is good and solid, low bounce rate and returning visitors.

      ROI is something I have to calculate better, what happens if the turnover plummets.

      Originally Posted by Get Rich Methods View Post

      Hey Allegandro,

      Tough call without more information. The best you can hope to receive here is relatively ill-informed replies. Not your fault; not the fault of those replying. It's a catch-22 for you: you need information, but to get it you must provide more information, and you can't do that or someone else may snag the deal out from under you.

      Aside from other things, I'm a web developer. I can tell you this at least: I'd at least be interested.

      - 15 X monthly earnings isn't unheard of, certainly, but there may be wiggle-room to negotiate them down.

      - Determine if income is accurate.

      - Determine if income can be sustained and grown.

      - Can you host elsewhere? Maintain yourself? (Or outsource.)

      - Can you not get your own advertisers? You're then better off 33%.

      - Are they being honest about their reason for selling?

      Tom
      I can't host it somewhere else, and the host deal is not bad, and it incl the full maintenance.
      Off course I pay for that with the 33% they ask.
      I think the reason is legit, I understand their company structure and they are sellers.
      But for sure it understand that it's an asking price.

      Originally Posted by Get Rich Methods View Post

      We all have to start somewhere, but this isn't bad advice. In fact, he might just be saving you $70K. Consider it, at least. Worse case scenario: get your feet wet with low-cost ventures until you get some experience under your belt.

      Tom
      I agree with him, if it was my first buy.
      This will be my first high-end buy.
      So for sure something to think about.

      Originally Posted by J4industries View Post

      The Honesty and pure Bluntness is appreciated, however there wasn't enough information given to begin with to even start to give this young man the proper advice that he may need.

      Which as you said, is a double edge sword because if he were to disclose too much information on the particulars of the online business, the deal might get swept from under him.

      I too would advise seeing if you could provide your own advertisers. That would be so much better than 33% commission on all future endeavors.

      As long as they're still hosting for you, and getting 33% commissions, its as if they still have a piece of their business and at the end of the day they would still be profiting from a business that they sold to you.

      There are so many more stipulations that would have to be considered when analyzing this deal.

      So as i said before, please do your own do diligence/ research to see if buying this website would be a feasible thing to do.

      -some research and analysis could be done for you but that would cause you to have to disclose details about the website, which in itself would be ill-advised.

      Therefore you should do it.
      Thank you for the advice.

      They idea of being able to add my own advertisers in it, I will look into.

      Yes, for sure I will do more research. Now all looks great, but like we all know: "If it looks to be good to be true, it's too good to be true."

      Originally Posted by kilgore View Post

      I don't necessarily agree that you should -- or shouldn't -- walk away. But the post above brings up two good points:
      1. That site may be worth $70,000 -- or even $1 million -- to someone else, but it doesn't mean it's worth anything to you. Buying a website is not like stocks and then collecting dividend checks. Someone needs to manage it. Someone needs to maintain it. And someone needs to improve it. A website that doesn't change is a depreciating asset -- probably a significantly depreciating asset -- so the real question isn't whether we think the site is worth $70,000, but whether you'll be able to get $70,000 of value out of it. And that has just as much to do with your skills, talents, and interests as with its past balance sheets.
      2. A public forum is a bad place to look for advice about a large financial investment. You'll never be able to (nor should you) provide adequate detail about the site, you're skills, your finances, etc. to get a helpful answer. At best you'll get some helpful posts (as some of the ones above above) with some things you might want to consider as you make your decision. You'll also get a lot of well-meaning people giving you advice based on what they'd do (also as some of the ones above) -- but their situation, knowledge, skills and financial status is most likely very different from yours, so I think that type of advice is more likely to harm than hurt, as well meaning as it is.
      So yes, walk away, but not necessarily from the deal (only you can be the judge of that), but from the forum. Speak about this with a financial advisor or at least a trusted friend. If you want help from the WF, I'd change your question (and your expectations) to something more along the lines of "What are some of the considerations that someone should make when buying a website?" (though my guess is that if you use the search function, you'll find some already helpful answers.

      Good luck with whatever you decide!
      Correct, I would never have considered it, if the niche was not 100% my niche. Another website with the same numbers, but another topic would be less interesting for me.

      I also agree, that putting it on this forum, can give me some strange advices, even some criticism. But if I get one good advice that I can take with me, which I not thought of yet, then it was worth it.

      Thank you for your toughts.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9731930].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
        Originally Posted by allegandro View Post

        I can’t host it somewhere else..
        Walk away.

        It's like this...

        I go to a car dealership. I spend $70K on a new car. It's mine, for $70K, as long as I leave it on the dealership forecourt instead of on my own driveway.

        Tom
        Signature

        I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9731952].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
        Originally Posted by allegandro View Post

        I can’t host it somewhere else, and the host deal is not bad, and it incl the full maintenance.
        Off course I pay for that with the 33% they ask.
        This sounds more like a franchise deal in which they get you to run the site for them while they still maintain an interest.

        If you're looking at this as an investment (as you should), you're likely to have real problems when it comes to selling the site down the line. Personally, I'd never consider buying a site under those conditions.


        .
        Signature
        TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9732021].message }}
        • Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

          This sounds more like a franchise deal in which they get you to run the site for them while they still maintain an interest.

          If you're looking at this as an investment (as you should), you're likely to have real problems when it comes to selling the site down the line. Personally, I'd never consider buying a site under those conditions.


          .
          Frank that is a GREAT Point , probably the biggest RED flag of them all.

          Trying to sell this site later down the road could be such an exasperating travail, I honestly would want absolutely nothing to do with that 33%
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9732386].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by allegandro View Post

    They will still host(20$ a month), maintain(Free) it and take 33% commission of each advertiser they bring.
    For me, that part (especially the "they will still host" bit) would be an immediate "walk away", or at least a "stay only to try to negotiate my way around all that". If I'm paying that sort of money for a website, I'm deciding where it's going to be hosted, not the person I'm giving the money to.

    Instinctively, $70k sounds slightly on the high side, to me, for a site with proven income of $55k over the last 12 months; but there are exceptions to that, and I can be wrong about it, too.

    Kilgore gave good advice, above (as ever).


    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9731856].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      For me, that part (especially the "they will still host" bit) would be an immediate "walk away", or at least a "stay only to try to negotiate my way around all that". If I'm paying that sort of money for a website, I'm deciding where it's going to be hosted, not the person I'm giving the money to.

      Instinctively, $70k sounds slightly on the high side, to me, for a site with proven income of $55k over the last 12 months; but there are exceptions to that, and I can be wrong about it, too.

      Kilgore gave good advice, above (as ever).


      .
      On the Contrary, I believe that 70k is a bargain. Sure , 70k is on the high side in general, but not for a website with a proven and solidified return of 55k a year. Most websites that I have bought and that colleagues of mine buy, don't exceed profit past the purchase price until at least somewhere after the second year.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9731883].message }}
      • Originally Posted by J4industries View Post

        On the Contrary, I believe that 70k is a bargain.
        No, it's not a bargain. The standard rate is 12x average monthly profit. This is 15x, and based on its best year (last year), not the average.

        But none of that matters. The point here is that if you have to ask for advice in a public forum, it means you dont have a real plan for that site, and thus you should walk away. EVERY time I've seen someone buying a site without a strategic plan clearly lined up, it's turned sour on him.

        PS: there's no way I'd accept them hosting the site. If you pay, it's yours and you decide where to host it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9732807].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author davidpham
    If it can make money like you say then it 's very good deal. But I am not sure why the owner want to sell. You know, if a website can make money like that, no one willing sell it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9731862].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author afakih2002
    It'll be a good deal,go for it!Tip:If you can negotiate the price,do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9731893].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mjon34
    I am not experience in this particular field in no way but if its not yours free and clear once you pay then "I" would walk away. Like I said before I am no expert but I am simply going on the information provided but keep in mind my advice means nothing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9732032].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fast2net
    I wouldn't do it just based off the fact they want to maintain control over the site. Who is to say they will not take your money and run?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9732047].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tim Franklin
    Dont Walk, RUN,,, something is very wrong on the entire presentation of the facts.

    There are so many red flags that I would not know where to start.

    (base hosting costs for a serious business will run you some money)

    No where near enough traffic to even consider a purchase, but in the end you are the only one that will be making a decision on this.

    Where there is smoke...
    Signature
    Software Development | Applications | OSX | iOS | Android | Cloud Software Engineering |
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9732050].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasondinner
    Originally Posted by allegandro View Post

    They will still host(20$ a month), maintain(Free) it and take 33% commission of each advertiser they bring. They want to sell it, because they want to focus on sales and not on content and promotion.
    Wait, they want to sell you the site for $70K, but still maintain control of it by continuing to host it and continue to generate 1/3 of the revenue it generates?

    Assuming you do buy it, they would be salesmen or brokers at most and that does not garner a 33% commission on sales.

    Maybe 10% at most.

    Plus as others eluded to, you own the site - you host it wherever you want.

    That's a crappy deal.
    Signature

    "Human thoughts have the tendency to transform themselves into their physical equivalent." Earl Nightingale

    Super Affiliates Hang Out Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9732404].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve B
      Even though you're buying the site, it sounds to me as though you're taking on a partner.

      Any time you do that in business, you have to be extremely careful. It's like getting in bed with someone you don't know. Only time will tell what outcomes might transpire.

      How do you know that the income will remain steady and at the same level if you are now running the business? How do you know if your skills will adequately replace the former owner's skills? Can you be certain that the "partner" will continue to perform once he has your money?

      I am of the opinion that $70K is a lot of money and that unless you can lose it all without a concern, you should be very cautious about making a deal based solely on what you have said in this thread.

      Steve
      Signature

      Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
      SteveBrowneDirect

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9732426].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jack Gordon
    ok, I have to ask...

    1) Why can't you move the site? You own it. What it the reason?

    2) Are they proposing to maintain some sort of exclusivity on ad sales, or are they just offering to continue doing them for you in addition to whatever you want to do?

    This is the big question... would they be willing to structure this in a way that you could pay for it out of current revenues (i.e. $4500/month minus earned commissions, so lets call it $3000/month for 24 months)?

    This very effectively limits your risk and gives them no incentive to scam you, as you could walk away at any point with little lost. They may not be interested in that kind of arrangement for very legitimate reasons, but I would use the idea as a starting point to scope out a deal that limits your risk.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9732547].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fast2net
    Seems like more than one person is saying RUN AWAY! This seems really fishy...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9732638].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eac113
    Be Careful!!

    As mentioned above, there seems to be a lot of red flags.... it's a cliche but better safe than sorry is true when it comes to that kind of cash outlay.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9732673].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fxstay
    defiantly dont buy it , they can make another one with database
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9732793].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kmanev074
    It won't be easy mate. If they do not want to focus on content this means it is difficult. You will have to write everything on your own and you will have to be very careful. Anyway... destiny loves the brave
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9732794].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author axus_auto
    Make sure the traffic is legit. Also, the terms should be revised so that you've full control eg. only 33% for the next one year and then renegotiate etc.

    Where does the traffic come from? Are they paid traffic?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9732817].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bizgrower
    Originally Posted by allegandro View Post

    Dear warriors,

    I got an interesting offer to buy a website (4 years old) from an advertising company, which exists already over 25 years.

    The website make now +4.500$ turnover a month (55.000$ Last 12 months, best year)
    Advertisers pay CPM, CPC & CPS

    They ask 70.000$ + VAT.

    I will get the license of using the software.

    They will still host(20$ a month), maintain(Free) it and take 33% commission of each advertiser they bring. They want to sell it, because they want to focus on sales and not on content and promotion.

    Alexa rank TOP 100.000 (From western countries) – 250K unique visitors a month
    Niche Automotive (My preferred niche)

    I can’t disclose the website at this moment (Sorry)

    Good deal, or walk away?
    For sure google around and see if the name comes up as a scam or not.

    Can you get full traffic stats from their analytics or their host?

    Are they providing all documentation of revenue and expenses...?
    Signature

    "If you think you're the smartest person in the room, then you're probably in the wrong room."

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9732848].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NeedBucksNow
    Sounds like a big responsibility to keep up with. With that kind of investment I think I would be stressed out for the whole 1st year until I was able to get back the majority of my money. I would also think you could get several different sites & streams of income for alot less. I would much rather have more than one way to make money online you know
    Signature

    HOW TO QUIT YOUR BORING JOB AND START MAKING MORE CASH MARKETING FROM YOUR HOME!
    http://needbucksnow.com/
    JOIN MAXBOUNTY TODAY AND I'LL SHOW YOU HOW I'M FINALLY MAKING MONEY ONLINE USING PPC!
    http://www.needbucksnow.com/top-cpa-offers/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9732867].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author allegandro
      Thank you for all your thoughts, comments and advice, sorry that I can't respond to all.
      It doesn't main that I not value your input.


      Originally Posted by Jack Gordon View Post

      ok, I have to ask...

      1) Why can't you move the site? You own it. What it the reason?

      2) Are they proposing to maintain some sort of exclusivity on ad sales, or are they just offering to continue doing them for you in addition to whatever you want to do?

      This is the big question... would they be willing to structure this in a way that you could pay for it out of current revenues (i.e. $4500/month minus earned commissions, so lets call it $3000/month for 24 months)?

      This very effectively limits your risk and gives them no incentive to scam you, as you could walk away at any point with little lost. They may not be interested in that kind of arrangement for very legitimate reasons, but I would use the idea as a starting point to scope out a deal that limits your risk.
      1) The like to host it, because it will be more easy to maintaine, but I will look into it to see what are the possibilities.
      2) With maintaining they main, updating of software that they use on the website. To keep it stable. Not to extend, and make new futures on it.
      3) Off course they like the full amount in one time, for me that is open for discussion.

      Originally Posted by bizgrower View Post

      For sure google around and see if the name comes up as a scam or not.

      Can you get full traffic stats from their analytics or their host?

      Are they providing all documentation of revenue and expenses...?
      I googled the Company and it is a well stabled media company that excist already over 25 years. When Googling their name I found no dirt (Yet)
      I have seen the analytics stats and they look good and honest
      They payments are legit and from a lot of different companies that advertise in different ways.

      Originally Posted by axus_auto View Post

      Make sure the traffic is legit. Also, the terms should be revised so that you've full control eg. only 33% for the next one year and then renegotiate etc.

      Where does the traffic come from? Are they paid traffic?
      Good point, will take it with me in the next talk, to lower the 33% after a period of time.
      It is non-paid traffic, coming free sources

      Originally Posted by fast2net View Post

      I wouldn't do it just based off the fact they want to maintain control over the site. Who is to say they will not take your money and run?
      That is true, if it was a one man company I would never think about it, but there work over 20 people in that company and they are on the same location since 25 years.

      Still point well made.

      Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

      This sounds more like a franchise deal in which they get you to run the site for them while they still maintain an interest.

      If you're looking at this as an investment (as you should), you're likely to have real problems when it comes to selling the site down the line. Personally, I'd never consider buying a site under those conditions.


      .
      Good point, as you say there are 2 potential problems.

      1) What is my status, am I owner or franchiser?
      2) What if I want to sell the website in the future, can I and how will it affect the value?

      Originally Posted by Get Rich Methods View Post

      Walk away.

      It's like this...

      I go to a car dealership. I spend $70K on a new car. It's mine, for $70K, as long as I leave it on the dealership forecourt instead of on my own driveway.

      Tom
      Point taken, interesting metaphor.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9733749].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Content Commando
    Like what one of the other posters said, it sounds more like they're taking on a partner rather than selling it. If the site was truly yours to own, then you could host it wherever you choose. What happens if you decide to sell the site 2 years down the line? Then you're stuck dealing with a third party that has no business being involved in your transaction.

    I also have a question about the 33% commission. Does that apply to current advertisers or just advertisers they bring to the table after you procure the site?

    The whole thing sounds like the company that is selling the site wants to have their cake and eat it too.
    Signature
    One article received 10,519 social shares! Become a true authority within any niche INSTANTLY by investing in a proven content writer.

    Don't believe me? Click
    HERE
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9733769].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Skystar
    I'd definitely get a professional appraisal. There may be lots of little 'hidden foxes' with a site that's been up that long.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9733934].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gene Pimentel
    I'll echo the RUN RUN RUN sentiment here. Even if all the numbers and stats were accurate, the required hosting and 33% commission is an absolute deal breaker.

    A site like the one described would be snapped up in hours by an investor if it was as profitable as they are saying. Something is VERY fishy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9734159].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AudioMusicHQ
    You should do your research men! Income can change drastically, its a website. Just improve it if you buy it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9734295].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    No. I wouldn't pay that for a website that they are going to continue to host, get commissions from and only license the software to you. It sounds like a you do the work but we still really own the website deal. I wouldn't touch this deal.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9734339].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author spearce000
    The fact that a: they want to host it, and b: they want a 33% commission rings all sorts of alarm bells for me. They want to have their cake and eat it too - sell the site for $70K and keep making money from it for themselves.

    Personally, I'd walk away.
    Signature
    WordPress Security Clampdown – was just for the War Room, now available to all Warriors. Protect your WordPress site from hackers. No opt-in required.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9734562].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bizgrower
    The hosting stands out as the biggest obstacle.
    They still have access to all the files and can control
    the hosting - as in turn it off, or redirect to a duplicate
    or new site.
    Signature

    "If you think you're the smartest person in the room, then you're probably in the wrong room."

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9734585].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jkruger
      My guess, they need the cash now vs income from the website over time. Sounds like they need the partner, not you.

      Any other "reason" they could overcome.

      I would walk away from it.
      Signature

      send a pen glitter bomb with our exclusive glitter deployment system - www.sendapen.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9734942].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    If you were to do this deal, I would make sure to include some sort of no compete agreement and that they can't use anything from that website for one of their future endeavors.

    The problem for me, that I wouldn't be able to get around is not just the hosting issue, but also the fact that they're wanting to sell a business asset for 15X monthly gross. I don't think the 15X is an issue, for some reason people on WF have a 12X monthly as a rule but off this forum I have seen many things go for 3 years gross sales/revenue. 15X is nothing... which makes me wonder why they're wanting to sell this since it's bringing in an additional 55k/year.

    I understand they want to focus on sales instead of general marketing and content production, etc. However, if you look at some of the advertising companies that own different websites, publications, forums, etc. you will see that they have grown their company by controlling those assets.

    I think that being in business for 25 years and surviving online they have a good indication that selling for 70k would be smart move. THAT is what you should be afraid of.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9735422].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onegoodman
    I always do my due diligence on such deal, there is missing information that I am sure you can look up, like the site authority , domain , keywords, ... etc

    with this being said, the first glance sounds good, but with $70,000 I can create a website that generate more than that in one year
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9735433].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sangfroid
      I dunno', something fishy about the whole thing. It's not just the
      money but they do sound a bit like money-grubbers.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9735529].message }}

Trending Topics