Are Powerpoint VSL's Still Good Enough For CB Products?

11 replies
Powerpoint VSL's used to be the best when it came to VSL conversions. But now you see alot of the top CB products use whiteboard/sketch/live videos/after effects etc. Can you still be competitive and convert well with a standard VSL with powerpoint or are they played out?
#good #powerpoint #products #vsl
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by bigballin6161 View Post

    But now you see alot of the top CB products use whiteboard/sketch/live videos/after effects etc.
    I don't see that.

    The best-selling, best-converting ones I see tend to use text only.

    I see a lot of high gravity products in "affiliates' graveyard niches" using all kinds of video. I strongly suspect (in fact I know) that many vendors are using them without having split-tested. Those aren't really "top products" in most meaningful senses of the words, at all - they just look like "top products", partly because they have large affiliate numbers and high gravities, and some people assess things that way and draw (often wildly mistaken) conclusions on that basis. It doesn't necessarily mean they're selling well, at all. Sales numbers and conversion rate information are not available: ClickBank (rightly) doesn't publish them.

    Of course I'm generalising, and there are doubtless some exceptions, too.

    Originally Posted by bigballin6161 View Post

    Can you still be competitive and convert well with a standard VSL with powerpoint or are they played out?
    No idea: like some other serious, pro-affiliates, I'm not willing to send any of my subscriber traffic to any of those, anyway. They're all bad for my credibility and pre-selling relationships: my subscribers across a wide range of different niches don't like them, and say so openly, unprompted and freely.

    http://www.warriorforum.com/off-topi...o-content.html

    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9740116].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lucian Lada
    Originally Posted by bigballin6161 View Post

    But now you see alot of the top CB products use whiteboard/sketch/live videos/after effects etc.
    I assume some self-proclaimed guru started doing it, then it caught up and bam!: everyone is now using them, imagining that "it must work, otherwise why would everyone else do it?"

    The same with the "weird trick" thing or, "Do you see this bunny? in 4 minutes I'll show you how this fluffy bunny helped me make over $12,784 this month."

    Originally Posted by bigballin6161 View Post

    Can you still be competitive and convert well with a standard VSL with powerpoint or are they played out?
    In essence, they're both videos, so I don't think there's much difference between them. So what you should consider is testing to see what converts better between a video sales letter and text-only sales page.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9740293].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Lucian Lada View Post

      in 4 minutes I'll show you how this fluffy bunny helped me make over $12,784 this month.
      You've been out marketing with Shane, again, haven't you?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9740876].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GreggDavison
    text based VSL's outperform everything (significantly) when written well. Go check out anything by Jon Benson (just google his name) the stats from split testing dont lie

    My own VSL's conversion % crushed my 'pretty videos' (me on camera) and text only SL's by a ridiculous margin!

    Niche is irrelevant. Subscriber feedback is irrelevant. Split test, split test and split test!

    Marketing 101: "Dont let you personal preference get in the way of success"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9744619].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Reid Stevens
      I agree with Alexa. There are regular looking text based sales pages that out perform almost anything I've tested. Don't look at gravity, there are a couple of hidden gems on clickbank with a gravity of 20 that are $4,000 to $6,000 a month money makers with almost no refunds.

      Trust me

      I know those aren't big numbers to some but it's based on my own personal experience only.
      Signature
      Great Domain Name For Sale
      www.mhealthinsurance.com

      Make me an offer.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9745205].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bigballin6161
      Originally Posted by GreggDavison View Post

      text based VSL's outperform everything (significantly) when written well. Go check out anything by Jon Benson (just google his name) the stats from split testing dont lie

      My own VSL's conversion % crushed my 'pretty videos' (me on camera) and text only SL's by a ridiculous margin!

      Niche is irrelevant. Subscriber feedback is irrelevant. Split test, split test and split test!

      Marketing 101: "Dont let you personal preference get in the way of success"

      I thought Jon Benson said that when Mike Greary changed Truth About Abs from powerpoint text to whiteboard there was a huge increase in conversion?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9745386].message }}
  • It's not about whether your video is text-only, or powerpoint slides, or on-camera talking head, or full blown out studio production. It's about the video copy and how well it engages your audience, and that implies split testing.

    Also, it depends on the type of product you sell. If it's a software, you might want to include a screen-recording footage of your software in action. If it's a golf course, you might want to show real video footage at the golf range, etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746016].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author spearce000
      Originally Posted by Anonymous Affiliate View Post

      It's not about whether your video is text-only, or powerpoint slides, or on-camera talking head, or full blown out studio production. It's about the video copy and how well it engages your audience, and that implies split testing.

      Also, it depends on the type of product you sell. If it's a software, you might want to include a screen-recording footage of your software in action. If it's a golf course, you might want to show real video footage at the golf range, etc.
      Absolutely. The only way you can see what works is by testing and eliminating what DOESN'T work. Sometimes pretty videos work, sometimes ugly ones do. Sometimes long copy sells, sometimes short copy sells. Sometimes video outperforms text, sometimes text outperforms video, but you won't know until you test.

      Incidentally, something I've seen rather a lot of lately are salespages with a VSL, but if the visitor leaves the page before the video ends, they get one of those "Don't go, click cancel to stay on the page" pop-ups which redirects to a text sales page with copy that's similar to the VSL script.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746049].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
    I've written copy for a lot of top guys & gals (who spend good money on production and traffic.)

    In most cases, doodles outperformed the PowerPoint slide-style presentations.

    But here's my general rule of thumb:

    Start with slides... then ramp it up.

    If something is going to convert, it'll convert ugly. You need to prove the copy is worth investing in. (And yes, there are lots of times when PP videos outperform doodles.)

    A lot of the top product developers test copy through list traffic and JV relationships, first, then run cold - if the numbers are good. Others are only interested in converting on cold. (You'd likely be surprised by how many controls are crushing it on list traffic, but totally bomb on cold.)

    I've been working with an online education company throughout 2014 and we've done a lot of face-to-cam (i.e. talking head) pieces - blending direct response with brand advertising. But we spend so much on video production because it's a multi-million dollar brand. They NEED to convey prominence in their presentations and front-facing marketing. It's a part of their image.

    Most campaigns on CB don't have that problem.

    Of course, there are definitely reasons to launch with a talking head video, rather than a PP or doodle video. For one, if the "face of the brand" is attractive and well-spoken, their passion and energy can take the copy to a whole new stratosphere that a voiceover simply can't capture.

    Remember, copy is all about emotion. And if you can increase the authenticity of the emotion in the copy, it'll very likely connect on a bigger level, which CAN increase conversions.

    Going back to my rule of thumb...

    Start humble. That's usually the best place to begin. Usually. Not always. How's that for commitment?

    Mark

    P.S. The #1 problem a lot of product developers run into is NOT having infrastructure. For instance, let's say you got the copy done, but how do you get it produced? Who do you trust? Speaking from experience, most people who market themselves as a website designer suck. Same with video peeps. But there are gems for hire. Reach out and connect with people who have awesome videos and sales letters. Ask them who wrote the copy; who did the video; who designed the sales letter. Sure, they can tell you to "go screw yourself," but they might tell you who did their work.

    My point is...

    Don't throw money down the drain. Find out who's good... and who's full of, well... poop.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746696].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bigballin6161
      Originally Posted by Mark Pescetti View Post

      I've written copy for a lot of top guys & gals (who spend good money on production and traffic.)

      In most cases, doodles outperformed the PowerPoint slide-style presentations.

      But here's my general rule of thumb:

      Start with slides... then ramp it up.

      If something is going to convert, it'll convert ugly. You need to prove the copy is worth investing in. (And yes, there are lots of times when PP videos outperform doodles.)

      A lot of the top product developers test copy through list traffic and JV relationships, first, then run cold - if the numbers are good. Others are only interested in converting on cold. (You'd likely be surprised by how many controls are crushing it on list traffic, but totally bomb on cold.)

      I've been working with an online education company throughout 2014 and we've done a lot of face-to-cam (i.e. talking head) pieces - blending direct response with brand advertising. But we spend so much on video production because it's a multi-million dollar brand. They NEED to convey prominence in their presentations and front-facing marketing. It's a part of their image.

      Most campaigns on CB don't have that problem.

      Of course, there are definitely reasons to launch with a talking head video, rather than a PP or doodle video. For one, if the "face of the brand" is attractive and well-spoken, their passion and energy can take the copy to a whole new stratosphere that a voiceover simply can't capture.

      Remember, copy is all about emotion. And if you can increase the authenticity of the emotion in the copy, it'll very likely connect on a bigger level, which CAN increase conversions.

      Going back to my rule of thumb...

      Start humble. That's usually the best place to begin. Usually. Not always. How's that for commitment?

      Mark

      P.S. The #1 problem a lot of product developers run into is NOT having infrastructure. For instance, let's say you got the copy done, but how do you get it produced? Who do you trust? Speaking from experience, most people who market themselves as a website designer suck. Same with video peeps. But there are gems for hire. Reach out and connect with people who have awesome videos and sales letters. Ask them who wrote the copy; who did the video; who designed the sales letter. Sure, they can tell you to "go screw yourself," but they might tell you who did their work.

      My point is...

      Don't throw money down the drain. Find out who's good... and who's full of, well... poop.
      Thanks for the thorough answer. And yes i have heard that start with powerpoint and if it converts then step it up to doodle or whatever.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9747924].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author humantheme
    Your post reminds of a quote from advertising legend David Ogilvy: "In advertising, what you say is more important than how you say it"

    I hope that answers your question. Design does influence response, but not as much as we like to think.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9748047].message }}

Trending Topics