The Passive Income Myth Exposed

56 replies
I have been in the digital marketing industry since 2004. Since then, I have seen a lot of changes in the digital marketing arena but there are some things that have not changed. One of the primary things that has not changed is the average mindset of most affiliate marketers. There is a notion that many affiliate marketers subscribe to and it is a dangerous notion. The notion is "passive income". There is no such thing as passive income because income is a product of success. There is no such thing as passive success which is why you do not hear the term used often or at all. However, the "passive income" notion is promoted, bought and sold ACTIVELY. You can't be passively successful because success requires action and being active in your market or industry. Since income is a product of success, there can be no passive income and we all know that it is a fact that nobody can be passively successful. Competition is active. A market or industry is active. To competitively function in any market or industry you have to actively monitor and gauge your competition. You have to actively build a business or presence. You have to actively build a list. You have to actively promote products and services. The fact that the term, "passive income" is actively promoted and used should be a key indicator that the term is used to increase perceived value and not convey the truth. If you are looking for passive income you are looking to actively fail and this is why most affiliate marketers are broke. Build a real, legally established business and grow it. Stop looking for instant success or passive income/success. It does not exist.

I have heard from more than 300 people (IMers) that are all looking for the same pipe dream (passive income/success) and to this day...none of them have found passive income/success. Of the 300 people, less than 20 actually figured it out are now doing really well in excess of $20,000 per month...consistently for the duration of this year. What is the difference between them and those that fail? They ACTIVELY established and grew their business. They know that the big bucks consistently come from consistent action and actively promoting and scaling their business and operations. They stopped looking for pie and sky and focused on the road ahead that will get them to their destination. If you want to succeed, be active and work harder than those around you. Stop looking for lazy riches. There is no self-made rich lazy men on this planet or in history and there will never be. Why? Because success is a natural process. To try to succeed away from or around a natural process is like trying to fight nature and nobody or nothing has ever won a battle against nature.
#exposed #income #myth #passive
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    Passive income certainly isn't a myth, it's just misunderstood. People seem to think you can get there and have a decent passive income without the work up front.

    You work your ass off so one day you won't have to be working your ass off.

    In a legitimate business that you're talking about, the founder or owner's goal should be to continue replacing themselves over and over again. That's how you eventually will have more passive income along with more income in general.

    I wouldn't ever preach the whole work 4 hours a week and kick it on the beach, but passive income certainly is real and can be achieved, but it's unlikely to happen without a lot of work on the front end.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9742805].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jordan Stark
      Show me one current of example of anybody making a passive income without actively taking action towards that income and I will rescind the post.

      Again, income is a product of success. Success cannot be achieved passively or without taking action. Passive income cannot exist without passive success. There is no such thing as passive success and therefore there is no such thing as passive income being that income is a product of success. Success is the result of an active process or processes which are natural. Thus, you can have natural success but not passive success. Nothing in nature comes without action and process which are both active.

      Passive is defined as, "accepting or allowing what happens or what others do, without active response or resistance." (no doing anything, not taking action)

      Income is defined as, "money received, especially on a regular basis, for work or through investments." (comes from work or investments which requires action)

      Success is defined as, "the accomplishment of an aim or purpose." (you can't accomplish anything without taking some sort of action and being active)

      So, please tell me...where and when have you ever seen or experienced passive income or passive success?

      You can work your ass off but not working is called being retired.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9742839].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tudexo
        Originally Posted by Jordan Stark View Post

        Passive is defined as, "accepting or allowing what happens or what others do, without active response or resistance." (no doing anything, not taking action)
        In IM "Passive" equals to virtual or complete autopilot income streams. It doesn't mean "not taking action" - it means you don't have to work your tail off to make your ends meet.

        It's not a myth and yes people do create passive income streams so they have an additional income source that doesn't require a lot of their attention. Such streams allow you to continue with your 9-5 job or whatever else you do and still make you some money every month.

        It's true that not taking action is a huge problem, but that shouldn't be confused with passive income. Those are two different things.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9742860].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Jordan Stark
          In the real world, which is the world we all live in, passive is already defined in the English lexicon. To use another definition other than what is already the definition requires a different word or a new word. When you use the word "passive" it means what it is already defined as. So, to use the word "passive" when virtual or autopilot is what is meant, that's just ignorance of the fact that passive is already defined but is being used in place of virtual or autopilot. The words "virtual" and "autopilot" do not not mean or translate to "passive"...no matter how people try to flip it. That's a dyslexic phenomenon.

          Originally Posted by tudexo View Post

          In IM "Passive" equals to virtual or complete autopilot income streams. It doesn't mean "not taking action" - it means you don't have to work your tail off to make your ends meet.

          It's not a myth and yes people do create passive income streams so they have an additional income source that doesn't require a lot of their attention. Such streams allow you to continue with your 9-5 job or whatever else you do and still make you some money every month.

          It's true that not taking action is a huge problem, but that shouldn't be confused with passive income. Those are two different things.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9742872].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Teravel
            Originally Posted by Jordan Stark View Post

            In the real world, which is the world we all live in, passive is already defined in the English lexicon. To use another definition other than what is already the definition requires a different word or a new word. When you use the word "passive" it means what it is already defined as. So, to use the word "passive" when virtual or autopilot is what is meant, that's just ignorance of the fact that passive is already defined but is being used in place of virtual or autopilot. The words "virtual" and "autopilot" do not not mean or translate to "passive"...no matter how people try to flip it. That's a dyslexic phenomenon.
            I agree with both sides, to some degree. But, I wanted to point out that the English language isn't a static thing. It's been changing and evolving since it's creation.

            So...Yes, people taking action can build a business that is profitable.

            Also...Yes, a person could then outsource all remaining work (including depositing funds into your bank account), thus making future income from that business "Passive". At least in the perspective of the business owner, who no longer needs to take action to earn because his employees take action for him.

            So stop fighting over semantics and enjoy the core information presented.
            Signature

            "Failure is feedback. Feedback is the breakfast of champions." -Fortune Cookie

            PLR Packages - WSO

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9742955].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
              Originally Posted by Jordan Stark View Post

              In the real world, which is the world we all live in, passive is already defined in the English lexicon. To use another definition other than what is already the definition requires a different word or a new word. When you use the word "passive" it means what it is already defined as. So, to use the word "passive" when virtual or autopilot is what is meant, that's just ignorance of the fact that passive is already defined but is being used in place of virtual or autopilot. The words "virtual" and "autopilot" do not not mean or translate to "passive"...no matter how people try to flip it. That's a dyslexic phenomenon.
              So this thread is pretty much just about semantics. Whether you think it is ignorant or not, you understand what the majority of the people using the term "passive income" means.

              I still stand by what I originally posted, that passive income can happen after taking action. The definition of passive that you used, "accepting or allowing what happens or what others do, without active response or resistance." doesn't mean that if you take massive action in the first place, and set up your revenue model to being on auto pilot that it isn't passive. The definition suggests reaction, response, resistance, etc. but you're trying to make a point in absolutes when you can easily take action and become passive later on.

              Passive income isn't a myth... being passive while trying to make passive income would be a myth. Taking action with the ultimate goal of reaching a passive income certainly is possible.

              Anyway, this is obviously about semantics..
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9743018].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Jordan Stark
              If you invest money in stocks 20 years ago, you still have to actively manage your portfolio or lose what you invested.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9743046].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Thomas Michal
                Originally Posted by Jordan Stark View Post

                If you invest money in stocks 20 years ago, you still have to actively manage your portfolio or lose what you invested.
                This is what financial advisers are for.

                Do you even know what your're talking about?
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9744025].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author onSubie
        Originally Posted by Jordan Stark View Post

        Show me one current of example of anybody making a passive income without actively taking action towards that income and I will rescind the post.
        Michael Jackson's estate.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9743685].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Thomas Michal
        Originally Posted by Jordan Stark View Post

        Show me one current of example of anybody making a passive income without actively taking action towards that income and I will rescind the post.

        Again, income is a product of success. Success cannot be achieved passively or without taking action. Passive income cannot exist without passive success. There is no such thing as passive success and therefore there is no such thing as passive income being that income is a product of success. Success is the result of an active process or processes which are natural. Thus, you can have natural success but not passive success. Nothing in nature comes without action and process which are both active.

        Passive is defined as, "accepting or allowing what happens or what others do, without active response or resistance." (no doing anything, not taking action)

        Income is defined as, "money received, especially on a regular basis, for work or through investments." (comes from work or investments which requires action)

        Success is defined as, "the accomplishment of an aim or purpose." (you can't accomplish anything without taking some sort of action and being active)

        So, please tell me...where and when have you ever seen or experienced passive income or passive success?

        You can work your ass off but not working is called being retired.
        I own two rental properties. I have a management company take care of them. I make about $500 from each one every month. I do zero work.

        I also own a telemarketing service. I have managers. I look at papers once a month my assistant gives me to make sure it's profitable and everyone is working and hitting numbers.

        Again, I make just over $1,000/month from that business.

        Stop telling people things aren't possible. Just because you can't pull something off doesn't mean others can't.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9744012].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author UncleDearest
        I'm not going to show my passive income streams but I do indeed have some, or at least I call them that. Most of them are EPN & Amazon affiliate sites. Info sites. I NEVER touch these sites. It's been years, honestly I cannot remember how long, 4-6 years for sure. No mailing list, no blog, no paid ads, nothing. I'm not saying this is the best way or that it was easy, but it is indeed real and I very much enjoy that passive income. I also understand your point of newbies thinking there's a push button way to "passive" income when there is not. However, it is possible to create set it and forget sites and generate income from them as I do.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9744158].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
        Originally Posted by Jordan Stark View Post

        Show me one current of example of anybody making a passive income without actively taking action towards that income and I will rescind the post.
        No problem... rescind away. I've been a network marketing
        professional for more than three decades. I developed several
        solid leaders and built a massive organization with a company
        back in the early to mid 90s.

        I haven't done anything but pay the annual renewal fee since
        1995 and still receive my passive residual income checks every
        month and will for the rest of my life and likely for generations
        to come.

        The fact that your vision doesn't include or understand passive
        residual income doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I could introduce
        you to a whole bunch of people like me who have the same experience.
        Signature
        If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9745161].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tudexo
    Originally Posted by Jordan Stark View Post

    I have been in the digital marketing industry since 2004. Since then, I have seen a lot of changes in the digital marketing arena but there are some things that have not changed. One of the primary things that has not changed is the average mindset of most affiliate marketers. There is a notion that many affiliate marketers subscribe to and it is a dangerous notion. The notion is "passive income". There is no such thing as passive income because income is a product of success. There is no such thing as passive success which is why you do not hear the term used often or at all. However, the "passive income" notion is promoted, bought and sold ACTIVELY. You can't be passively successful because success requires action and being active in your market or industry. Since income is a product of success, there can be no passive income and we all know that it is a fact that nobody can be passively successful. Competition is active. A market or industry is active. To competitively function in any market or industry you have to actively monitor and gauge your competition. You have to actively build a business or presence. You have to actively build a list. You have to actively promote products and services. The fact that the term, "passive income" is actively promoted and used should be a key indicator that the term is used to increase perceived value and not convey the truth. If you are looking for passive income you are looking to actively fail and this is why most affiliate marketers are broke. Build a real, legally established business and grow it. Stop looking for instant success or passive income/success. It does not exist.

    I have heard from more than 300 people (IMers) that are all looking for the same pipe dream (passive income/success) and to this day...none of them have found passive income/success. Of the 300 people, less than 20 actually figured it out are now doing really well in excess of $20,000 per month...consistently for the duration of this year. What is the difference between them and those that fail? They ACTIVELY established and grew their business. They know that the big bucks consistently come from consistent action and actively promoting and scaling their business and operations. They stopped looking for pie and sky and focused on the road ahead that will get them to their destination. If you want to succeed, be active and work harder than those around you. Stop looking for lazy riches. There is no self-made rich lazy men on this planet or in history and there will never be. Why? Because success is a natural process. To try to succeed away from or around a natural process is like trying to fight nature and nobody or nothing has ever won a battle against nature.
    Mind breaking that down into more paragraphs? It'll be easier to read through.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9742851].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Albertgot
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9747343].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tom B
        Banned
        I think the whole passive income thing is detrimental to people starting out. They should be focused on being able to make long term sustainable income and not worrying about living the beach lifestyle.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9747360].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author seoboyz01
          Originally Posted by Thomas Belknap View Post

          I think the whole passive income thing is detrimental to people starting out. They should be focused on being able to make long term sustainable income and not worrying about living the beach lifestyle.
          A lot of newcomers are being sold on the 'get rich quick' and passive money making scheme by unscrupulous internet marketers selling digital ebooks/courses/training. There is nothing quick about earning a sustainable income online. You might get lucky in your first days and make one or two sales on eBay but to make that work long term, you have to find what your customers want and give it to them repeatedly.
          Signature
          Google DOMINATION SEO service - Take your site 1st page of Google.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9747931].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author axus_auto
    Depends on how you want to define passive income. It's possible to be completely passive but not really sustainable in the long-term.

    I think it's more or less understood that 'passive income' refers to income that takes very little management to maintain that income source. If so, then it's definitely possible.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9742921].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Altered State
    I guess that people call passive income to the money they earn from a point where his business is already set up and with an already created client-flow which buy in a regular basis. This had to be created of course in a completely active way, but once it gets started, it will probably provide in most cases a regulat income, which is passive from the moment the business is already stablished.

    It is correct that if you want your site to survive in the long term you will eventually need to do modifications, but the required attention in many cases would be minimum...

    This is so true it also happens in fisical business... A man who owns several restaurants decides to buy another one, improves it, hires people, creates a marketing campaign, works 24:7 until the restaurant is full at critical hours, etc. And then a passive income will be there. He can start focusing on other projects, buy another place and start doing the same with minimal dedication to the first restaurants, or even purtsorce these mininal efforts, obtaining an actual passive income as you deffined it, which of course, always comes from active effort, but that can eventually be transformed into passive.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9742942].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jordan Stark
    See, this proves my point....people are calling what isn't passive, "passive". If you establish a business, build it up and move on to the next one....you still have to actively manage your business. If you hire someone else to do it, this is not passive because you have to actively supervise the management and actively control your business. People are confused as to what passive actually is vs what they perceive it as. Passive is passive no matter how people try to twist it. There is no such thing as passive success or passive income. Ask anybody that is successful if they earn money passively and the answer will be no 100% of the time because. Nobody can even passively live because you have to actively eat and in order to eat you have actively earn money. Any other way and you will lose.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9743019].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by Jordan Stark View Post

      See, this proves my point....people are calling what isn't passive, "passive". If you establish a business, build it up and move on to the next one....you still have to actively manage your business. If you hire someone else to do it, this is not passive because you have to actively supervise the management and actively control your business. People are confused as to what passive actually is vs what they perceive it as. Passive is passive no matter how people try to twist it. There is no such thing as passive success or passive income. Ask anybody that is successful if they earn money passively and the answer will be no 100% of the time because. Nobody can even passively live because you have to actively eat and in order to eat you have actively earn money. Any other way and you will lose.
      So if I invested money in the stock market 20 years ago, never checked current price per share, and just sat back and waited for the dividend checks, is that not considered passive? The definition of passive is based on having no level of reaction, and whether the prices go up or down, you're just sitting on it, that's pretty passive in my opinion.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9743026].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Altered State
      Originally Posted by Jordan Stark View Post

      Passive is passive no matter how people try to twist it.
      Ok, in that case, no activity in life can be actually passive, since you need to breathe and feed yourself, else you would starve and if you die you will be unable to receive any income. I see your point.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9743035].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by Jordan Stark View Post

      Ask anybody that is successful if they earn money passively and the answer will be no 100% of the time because. Nobody can even passively live because you have to actively eat and in order to eat you have actively earn money. Any other way and you will lose.
      Oh jeeeesh. Well, then why don't we form a ban of Petitioners and try to get this word removed from the English dictionary.

      After all, there is nothing according to you that could be discerned as being 'passive' in this World.

      This argument is turning into something that reminds me when I was in Kindergarten.




      - Robert Andrew
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9744159].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jordan Stark
    People can believe anything about what passive means but what it actually means stands. Semantics are important because it can effect your understanding and perception. People base their actions and plans on their perception and understanding. Reality does not fit into a false belief or idea of a concept that is not real. Thus, most IMers are broke chasing a pipe dream.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9743029].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by Jordan Stark View Post

      People can believe anything about what passive means but what it actually means stands. Semantics are important because it can effect your understanding and perception. People base their actions and plans on their perception and understanding. Reality does not fit into a false belief or idea of a concept that is not real. Thus, most IMers are broke chasing a pipe dream.
      I understand what you're saying and I don't think you're doing the wrong thing by bringing it to their attention.

      I have a few adsense sites made a long time ago that are still producing an income that I've haven't touched in years. I consider that passive now. Though I guess you could argue since they're being hosted and I'm paying the hosting bill that it isn't passive, but I don't think arguing semantics over something so small in that sense would be worth it or even beneficial for anyone.

      For me personally, I have to take action in everything I do. If I didn't I would be broke. The majority of people looking for passive income will never find it because they aren't willing to put in the work.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9743040].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author axus_auto
      Originally Posted by Jordan Stark View Post

      People can believe anything about what passive means but what it actually means stands. Semantics are important because it can effect your understanding and perception. People base their actions and plans on their perception and understanding. Reality does not fit into a false belief or idea of a concept that is not real. Thus, most IMers are broke chasing a pipe dream.
      Have you considered you could be the one who has the wrong perception of what passive income means? Here are two sources:

      Passive income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

      Passive Income Definition | Investopedia
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9743043].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Teravel
    How about we all stop arguing about pointless crap, and move on to sharing positive ideas. Arguing about which words mean what in who's book, gives nothing to this forum.

    In EITHER case, what readers should take away from this is that Action is what is rewarded. Not just researching until you feel an income is deserved, which will never come.
    Signature

    "Failure is feedback. Feedback is the breakfast of champions." -Fortune Cookie

    PLR Packages - WSO

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9743047].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jordan Stark
      I totally agree.

      Originally Posted by Teravel View Post

      How about we all stop arguing about pointless crap, and move on to sharing positive ideas. Arguing about which words mean what in who's book, gives nothing to this forum.

      In EITHER case, what readers should take away from this is that Action is what is rewarded. Not just researching until you feel an income is deserved, which will never come.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9743058].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jordan Stark
    The IRS defines passive income as only coming from two sources: rental activity or "trade or business activities in which you do not materially participate."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9743052].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by Jordan Stark View Post

      If you invest money in stocks 20 years ago, you still have to actively manage your portfolio or lose what you invested.
      No, you don't HAVE to.

      My grandpa just put in a $50,000 CD... I think the interest he earns on that is going to be passive as well.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9743054].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
      Originally Posted by Jordan Stark View Post

      The IRS defines passive income as only coming from two sources: rental activity or "trade or business activities in which you do not materially participate."
      And you don't recognize this as a clue? So... you're saying that the
      United States Congress passed legislation, defined the terms and
      empowered the IRS to deal with something you say doesn't exist.

      You're lost... caught up in trying to prove something that is unprovable.
      Signature
      If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9745174].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author himanuzo
    You can leave your own business at least 30 days without your presence and the business earn money for you. Maybe you need to monitor the business once for every 30 days or 60 days or 90 days. It is called as PASSIVE INCOME.

    If you can't leave the business for a single day and you need to attend or monitor the business daily, it is not a passive income.

    You can make survey yourself, businesses which can give the passive income to owners.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9743113].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author welaweb Ustaad
    passive income is only acheived by sticking to a specific niche and keep focus on your work
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9743734].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author onSubie
      Originally Posted by welaweb Ustaad View Post

      passive income is only acheived by sticking to a specific niche and keep focus on your work
      There are many forms of viable passive income.

      Certainly royalties on a previously completed work like a book, song, movie, TV commercial is one form.

      The problem with the perspective of the OP is he is only considering non-passive forms of income when he says there is no such thing as "passive income".

      If he was truly interested in passive income, then he would look at methods that provide a stream of passive income rather than looking at non-passive streams of income and then declaring there is no such thing a "passive income".

      Royalties paid on something you own the rights to (not necessarily created yourself) is a great form of passive income. See my example Michael Jackson's Estate.

      You want to see incredible passive income look up the Silna brothers' deal with the NBA....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9743793].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yakim1
    Passive income is not a myth! You are over looking 3 things that have to be in place that makes it possible to create passive income.

    1. Leverage - you have to be able to leverage others peoples assets.

    2. Systems that can make the leverage that is applied an easy process to do.

    3. Automation - this is the process of automating your leverage and systems

    Until people figure out how to do these 3 things, they will never establish true passive income.

    I have been in this business since 1996 and worked my tail off every day to make it online. I finally got tired of working so hard and so I figured out exactly what I needed to do to create real passive income.

    Plus I'm old and have health issues and wanted to make it extremely easy for my wife and partner to continue to reap the benefits of my efforts long after I'm gone.

    I hope this has been helpful,
    Steve Yakim
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9743822].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      This notion of Passive Income being a Myth is absurd.


      I have Adsense Sites that not only have I NOT worked on them in years but I have NOT even gone to the actual Sites in years to look at them i.e ZERO maintenance...........and I still get Adsense Income from them.

      I put the work in to them in the beginning and now I am reaping Passive Income.

      There is NO Myth about that



      - Robert Andrew
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9743998].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    A whole thread to redefine "passive income"? Just about every body
    in business who uses that term knows what it means. Of course you
    don't get something for nothing but we all know what "passive income"
    means.

    And to the OP, you can't always define a term by defining its separate
    words. For example "week end" doesn't mean end of the 7-day week.
    It includes the end day Saturday and the beginning day, Sunday.

    -Ray Edwards
    Signature
    The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9744102].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Victor Edson
    Shortbread (a bisket) is neither short, nor bread.

    In the same way, Jordan, you have completely misrepresented the definition of passive income by attempting to define is by it's two components and not it's actual definition.

    Passive Income Definition: an income received on a regular basis, with little effort required to maintain it.

    Notice, there is little effort to maintain it. You can't assume nothing was done to generate it or that nothing is needed to maintain it... only that little effort is required to maintain it.

    You even point to the IRS definition which states it is either through real estate or business ventures. But you argue that neither of those could ever be true because passive means to do nothing.

    You also pointed out that to have a new definition a new word must be created. In this example, Passive Income is the new word. And it's definition is pretty clear.

    So not only is passive income not a myth, but as you point out, it's even defined by the IRS.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9744138].message }}
  • I haven't read through the replies yet but I would like to say while I do ACTIVELY build my main business, I certainly DO have passive income streams. By passive I mean I set them up once and never touched them again... EVER.

    You know where? YouTube. I have several money makers out there that still to this day bring me in daily commissions. I'm not talking $7-97 I mean I have videos that have earned me $12k and $26k so, I don't know if you want to argue if that's passive or not but to me it certainly is. I quite literally mean that I have never touched these videos after the initial upload... in fact I don't even know the accounts to some of my videos (wish I did).

    That being said... I do HIGHLY recommend building a more stable business model than that but for anyone just starting out I always recommend YT first =)
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9744199].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author axus_auto
    What I've learned from this thread:

    1. Online passive income is indeed possible.
    2. There are multiple avenues of passive income from the internet alone.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9744835].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tim Franklin
    I agree with the OP, there is no such thing as passive income.

    Without work and or action of some type, (including keeping your subscribers paying a monthly fee) then eventually that "Passive" income will begin to dry up.

    Having been in the marketing business since 1985 and the internet since 1995 I can tell you with absolute and complete truthfulness that 94 percent of monthly membership payments, dry up after 12 months and some even less than that.

    (If you do nothing you will see revenue shrink)

    That is just the way it is, in order to generate consistent revenue you must provide value on a consistent basis.

    Nothing lasts forever, just look at all the WSO products that are now abandoned.

    What about all those "Lifetime" memberships sold in the forum only a few of them are still open for business.

    That is the reality and you could argue about it or split hairs here and there but the truth speaks loudly, facts don't lie.
    Signature
    Software Development | Applications | OSX | iOS | Android | Cloud Software Engineering |
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9744843].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by Tim Franklin View Post

      I agree with the OP, there is no such thing as passive income.

      Without work and or action of some type, (including keeping your subscribers paying a monthly fee) then eventually that "Passive" income will begin to dry up.

      Having been in the marketing business since 1985 and the internet since 1995 I can tell you with absolute and complete truthfulness that 94 percent of monthly membership payments, dry up after 12 months and some even less than that.

      (If you do nothing you will see revenue shrink)

      That is just the way it is, in order to generate consistent revenue you must provide value on a consistent basis.

      Nothing lasts forever, just look at all the WSO products that are now abandoned.

      What about all those "Lifetime" memberships sold in the forum only a few of them are still open for business.

      That is the reality and you could argue about it or split hairs here and there but the truth speaks loudly, facts don't lie.
      You agree that there is no such thing as passive income, but then argue that passive income dries up with no work, so you're arguing with yourself?

      Passive income doesn't mean forever... So giving examples of passive income drying up aren't really supporting your stance that it doesn't exist.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9744911].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author axus_auto
      Originally Posted by Tim Franklin View Post

      I agree with the OP, there is no such thing as passive income.

      Without work and or action of some type, (including keeping your subscribers paying a monthly fee) then eventually that "Passive" income will begin to dry up.

      Having been in the marketing business since 1985 and the internet since 1995 I can tell you with absolute and complete truthfulness that 94 percent of monthly membership payments, dry up after 12 months and some even less than that.

      (If you do nothing you will see revenue shrink)

      That is just the way it is, in order to generate consistent revenue you must provide value on a consistent basis.

      Nothing lasts forever, just look at all the WSO products that are now abandoned.

      What about all those "Lifetime" memberships sold in the forum only a few of them are still open for business.

      That is the reality and you could argue about it or split hairs here and there but the truth speaks loudly, facts don't lie.
      Membership site is just one online business model; there are others. Also, some of these membership sites could have hired somebody to continue 'providing value' to the subscribers.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9745089].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
      Originally Posted by Tim Franklin View Post

      I agree with the OP, there is no such thing as passive income.
      So.... you're both demonstrably wrong. Good to know!
      Signature
      If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9745191].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Elvis Michael
      Originally Posted by Tim Franklin View Post

      I agree with the OP, there is no such thing as passive income.

      Without work and or action of some type, (including keeping your subscribers paying a monthly fee) then eventually that "Passive" income will begin to dry up.

      Having been in the marketing business since 1985 and the internet since 1995 I can tell you with absolute and complete truthfulness that 94 percent of monthly membership payments, dry up after 12 months and some even less than that.

      (If you do nothing you will see revenue shrink)

      That is just the way it is, in order to generate consistent revenue you must provide value on a consistent basis.

      Nothing lasts forever, just look at all the WSO products that are now abandoned.

      What about all those "Lifetime" memberships sold in the forum only a few of them are still open for business.

      That is the reality and you could argue about it or split hairs here and there but the truth speaks loudly, facts don't lie.
      OP, you're taking the whole thing too literally, that's the problem. Go back and re-read posts #27, #32 and #34; I'd like to know your input on those responses.

      And Tim, just because something shrinks over time does not mean it's not passive.

      Example: John Smith earns a decent income for some work that he published 3-4 years ago and doesn't bother to update it. Or, maybe he just updates it once a month or so. Sure, his income may gradually decrease over time, but he is still earning that money passively....... is he not?

      This is the bottom line: The people who think "there's no such thing" as passive income have a very misguided and misinformed definition of the term.

      Just because this income doesn't [typically] last forever, and just because you [typically] have to lift a finger every now and then, it doesn't mean that it isn't passive.

      Passive income doesn't exclusively mean, "money forever without any work at all."

      A thread like this tends to pop up every couple of months. I hope we can finally put a stop to the nay-sayers thanks to the great replies found here.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9747197].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seoboyz01
    Take action first, profit later. That's the only way that i know of to make a passive income. For instance, if you are a landlord, you would need to buy property with house first, find renters and then collect income monthly from those people. You are profiting off your earlier work of property acquisition. You are putting your assets to work for you.

    With some types of passive income such as where you sell ad space on your website, you will still need to market the opportunity to let others know about it. But you are not actively 'working'.

    So maybe the ideal passive income comes from something that is not as hard as something else or only requires marketing effort.

    Other than selling ad space on your site, you could also earn passively by owning a hosting company and offering hosting to others. Again, this would require effort on your part to market, though some of that could be outsourced to your staff.
    Signature
    Google DOMINATION SEO service - Take your site 1st page of Google.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9744934].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Trey Morgan
    Passive income is not a myth. Anyone who has built a successful business or has created successful products has experienced the reward of passive income. Successful entrepreneurs, inventors, athletes, musicians, and people in lots of other fields are currently earning a passive income.

    Nobody said building a passive income was easy, but it is certainly possible.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9745197].message }}
  • Passive income is all about semantics.

    The literal definition of passive income does not exist: you won't sustain, let alone grow, any business if you dont feed it consistently with new input.

    The realistic definition of passive income implies a degree of automatization, outsourced tasks, staff-managed tasks, etc, but still new input is required in order to achieve sustainability and, furthermore, growth. The point is whether YOU (personally) need to conduct that daily input or not, and THAT is exactly where the "passive" factor kicks in.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746033].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author webmonopoly
      Originally Posted by Anonymous Affiliate View Post

      Passive income is all about semantics.

      The literal definition of passive income does not exist: you won't sustain, let alone grow, any business if you dont feed it consistently with new input.

      The realistic definition of passive income implies a degree of automatization, outsourced tasks, staff-managed tasks, etc, but still new input is required in order to achieve sustainability and, furthermore, growth. The point is whether YOU (personally) need to conduct that daily input or not, and THAT is exactly where the "passive" factor kicks in.
      Exactly. Passive income does exist, but it requires an initial very strong effort. I can considered some of my projects passive at the moment as i have not done a thing in months, and my income is steady and has actually increased a little on its own.
      Signature
      Want To Make Real Passive Income? InvestorChamp.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746045].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
      Originally Posted by Anonymous Affiliate View Post

      Passive income is all about semantics.

      The literal definition of passive income does not exist: you won't sustain, let alone grow, any business if you dont feed it consistently with new input.
      Yet another incorrect response... this is fun!!
      Signature
      If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746813].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NickNimmin
    Well put. In order for any project to generate any amount of income you have to put work into it, which out of the gate makes it not passive.

    However, once you build something sustainable that may not be necessarily "passive", you can have passive days/weeks, etc. where you don't have to do much with the exception of checking in to make sure everything is working the way it should...which also makes it not "passive".

    Even considering the outsourcing route, you still have to manage your outsourcers, check their work and so on which requires time/work.

    Lets go a step further and say you have someone else manage your outsourcers...you still have to check on them which equals time/work as well.

    I think the main thing people who are seeking "passive" income are after is being able to take time off when they want without it having an impact on their income...which is completely attainable. Maybe not, but I'm hoping people are not naive enough to think they can buy a 'done for you' push button 'system' that will supply the ability to not have to work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746132].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Ray
    As an affiliate, I sent some traffic to a website about a year ago. Some of that traffic converted and I receive income from that every month for a year now.

    Not a lot of income but the only action I have to take for this income, for one year now, is to go to the ATM and withdraw the money.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746301].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author webmonopoly
      Originally Posted by Joe Ray View Post

      As an affiliate, I sent some traffic to a website about a year ago. Some of that traffic converted and I receive income from that every month for a year now.

      Not a lot of income but the only action I have to take for this income, for one year now, is to go to the ATM and withdraw the money.
      Same with me
      Signature
      Want To Make Real Passive Income? InvestorChamp.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746319].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author discrat
        I think the OP has learned his Lesson. Hadn't heard a peep from him in days

        You all are brutal lol



        - Robert Andrew
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746347].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Cosmit
          Passive and active income is used to differentiate the sources of income.

          Active income would include working at mcdonalds where you have to be present, working at a corporate job, contracting, even staying at home and freelancing. These are all, as most of us understand, active income. You stop working, you stop getting paid.

          Passive income is essentially a business where you have to maintain it, but you do not have to actively put in 8 hours for 8 hours worth of pay. For instance, my business will make me $300 a day whether I am actively working 8 hours a day or not (which i do, i work more than that) but I would be getting paid even if I took a week, or a month off. Of course, I wont take that time off because I want to grow it, but that is the difference between the two sources of income as most people understand it.

          I'm not sure where you got this impression that passive income is income that you get for not doing anything. I think you misunderstand these two concepts.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746398].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eac113
    Whole Life Insurance Policies, CD's, Treasury Bonds, Oil and Gas Royalties, Leasing Farmground, Software Licensing ect.......
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746315].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tonyrichy
    What's the point here? LOL

    I make money while I sleep. PERIOD.
    Signature

    Drive Thousands of Visitors To Your Sites With 100% FREE Videos. Hi-Jack TOP Positions on YouTube and Google! See How I Rake in Tens of Thousands of Dollars Per Month With 100% FREE Video Traffic. COPY These Same Strategies & Put Them To Work For You. Visit www.TonyRichie.com/wso to get EXCLUSIVE FREE WSO Training!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746448].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EPoltrack77
    Same with the push button myth! Passive income is simply working smarter today. I mean who else wouldn't want $3,732.40 coming in everymonth regardless whether you did anything or not!
    Signature
    Targeted Viewers! All your traffic needs in one spot. Get seen today!
    Click Here Now
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9747269].message }}

Trending Topics