Which blog would you much rather read?

32 replies
Hello Warriors!

Hope you all are having a happy holidays! I want to start a blog, but I'm torn between two types of blogs: A blog on lifestyle and fitness, or a blog on selling online. I intend to document my journey to success on either blogs.

I know there's like a gabazillion of them out there, but would you still be interested on reading another person's experience on becoming successful in either of these areas?
#blog #read
  • Profile picture of the author Nathan Kruz
    I think the majority of people on here will say "a blog selling online" just cause that's what most people are interested in this forum.

    I think the question you are looking for is "What niche should I choose" and both are great. Just do some niche research. Both are equally as good.

    Hope this helps

    Nathan
    Signature
    ----> LIMITED!! [FREE REPORT] How To Generate 1,200 Visitors A Day FREE! <----

    Step-By-Step Traffic System :: Free For Limited Time!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771297].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Shook
      Sometimes, people would rather read the story of how someone became successful after they became successful, not so much during the journey. If you are concentrating on changing successfully, it might be better to put all your energy into doing that, rather than splitting your time and energy between 2 projects.

      Maybe not, you might have a ton of energy more than other people, and if you already have a following in some other area, that could be a place to begin as well - documenting your success along the way.

      Personally, I believe that anyone can become successful in almost anything they attempt, so i see no reason why you couldn't change your life to what you want more in any of these areas, but from a marketing point of view, I suspect you will have more loyal followers if you achieve at least part of your goal first.
      Signature


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771313].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jcwarriorwrc
        Originally Posted by Michael Shook View Post

        Sometimes, people would rather read the story of how someone became successful after they became successful, not so much during the journey. If you are concentrating on changing successfully, it might be better to put all your energy into doing that, rather than splitting your time and energy between 2 projects.

        Maybe not, you might have a ton of energy more than other people, and if you already have a following in some other area, that could be a place to begin as well - documenting your success along the way.

        Personally, I believe that anyone can become successful in almost anything they attempt, so i see no reason why you couldn't change your life to what you want more in any of these areas, but from a marketing point of view, I suspect you will have more loyal followers if you achieve at least part of your goal first.
        Hey Michael,

        Thanks for the advice. I actually plan on starting one or the other, because like you said, it can get overwhelming.

        Also, I thought about having some type of success first, before starting a blog -- for credibility reasons and making it easier to teach, of course.

        But there are also other blogs that started knowing nothing about blogging and became successful later, while documenting their journey along the way. They also built a loyal following as a result, all of which I've been inspired by.

        But I'll definitely give your advice some thought. Thanks again.
        Signature

        Keep 100% profit with this Udemy-like site!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771605].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
          Banned
          Originally Posted by jcwarriorwrc View Post

          They also built a loyal following as a result, all of which I've been inspired by.
          The guy who walks across a long tightrope strung downtown between two skyscrapers is "inspirational" as well, in his way, but I don't want to try to do it, myself (haven't got the shoes for it).

          Originally Posted by jcwarriorwrc View Post

          there are also other blogs that started knowing nothing about blogging and became successful later, while documenting their journey along the way.
          They're the one in ten thousand of which we've all heard precisely because they're "one in ten thousand" (and pretty often we don't know their real incomes, anyway). It's always the overwhelming exceptions that "make the news", isn't it? The question for you, here, is: do you want to stack the deck against yourself, or in your favor?


          .
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771621].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author jcwarriorwrc
            Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

            The guy who walks across a long tightrope strung downtown between two skyscrapers is "inspirational" as well, in his way, but I don't want to try to do it, myself (haven't got the shoes for it).


            .
            Hi Alexa,

            Thank you for your input and thoughts.

            That's a good example, but that still doesn't mean it's impossible. Also, have you not been inspired by anyone or anything when you started your own site? That's the point I was trying to convey when I said "inspired" and the ultimate reason why I want to start either blogs (per my initial question).
            Signature

            Keep 100% profit with this Udemy-like site!

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771639].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author jcwarriorwrc
            Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post


            They're the one in ten thousand of which we've all heard precisely because they're "one in ten thousand" (and pretty often we don't know their real incomes, anyway). It's always the overwhelming exceptions that "make the news", isn't it? The question for you, here, is: do you want to stack the deck against yourself, or in your favor?


            .
            Again, very true, but doesn't mean it's impossible either. I think anyone can be successful in anything, if they really wanted to and do what it takes to accomplish their goals -- ethically and legally of course.

            But either way, the internet is getting even more competitive, so your points are valid indeed. Definitely, will give this more thought. Thanks again.
            Signature

            Keep 100% profit with this Udemy-like site!

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771649].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jcwarriorwrc
      Originally Posted by Nathan Kruz View Post

      I think the majority of people on here will say "a blog selling online" just cause that's what most people are interested in this forum.

      I think the question you are looking for is "What niche should I choose" and both are great. Just do some niche research. Both are equally as good.

      Hope this helps

      Nathan
      Hey Nathan,

      Thank you for the advice and yes, it does help!
      Signature

      Keep 100% profit with this Udemy-like site!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771596].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Markets
    I don't think many people really read much of personal blogs anymore, unless they are very good and inspirational.

    But if you must, go with the selling online one as more people from here will be more likely to read it.
    Signature
    "There comes a time when people get tired."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771320].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jcwarriorwrc
      Originally Posted by Markets View Post

      I don't think many people really read much of personal blogs anymore, unless they are very good and inspirational.

      But if you must, go with the selling online one as more people from here will be more likely to read it.
      Hi Markets. I hear you on this. Making money is always attractive too.
      Signature

      Keep 100% profit with this Udemy-like site!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771741].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by jcwarriorwrc View Post

    A blog on lifestyle and fitness, or a blog on selling online.
    Unless you're already a successful internet marketer yourself, on no account get involved with a blog "on selling online".

    That market contains about the worst niches there are, to start with.

    Starting off in niches related to IM/MMO is the single commonest mistake that aspiring internet marketers make, and the single commonest reason for their collective failures. People doing this are the main reason for the alleged 95% failure-rate, in IM.

    No surprise at all, if you think about it?

    Why would you want to teach people something of which you have no successful experience yourself?

    All you're making certain of, by starting out that way, is that you'll be competing for the same traffic against some of the world's most successful, most experienced, most profitable and best-funded marketers: who's likely to win that contest?

    You'd probably be something between 10 and 100 times as likely to start earning a few dollars in a more appropriate niche (such as grape-growing and home wine-making, for example. I don't mean it just metaphorically: that's a very good niche, if it interests you, of course. If it doesn't, there are 500 others which might. As long as you keep away from "MMO niches" and "IM niches").

    I'd advise you to put the odds in your favor by choosing a niche that isn't already full of experts. Ultimately (if you'll excuse a metaphor) it's about whether you want to sell jeans or skating videos. The jeans market is absolutely enormous: everyone buys them, tens of thousands sell them. The skating video market is far smaller but almost nobody specialises in selling them, so it's comparatively easy money.

    The niches in which the most profits are collectively made by marketers and the niches in which you have the highest chance of making profits are often mutually exclusive, and there are reasons for that.

    Starting off from the premise that "the most profitable niches" (in general) are also "the best ones to try" (in particular) is a way of stacking the deck against yourself, not in your favor. Several of the reasons for that are discussed in the threads linked to, below.

    It's explained in more detail here: Niche Selection Roadblock
    And here: Weight Loss Market: Still Profitable ?
    And here: Most Lucrative niche in Internet Marketing?
    And here: Guess who is going to have the most profitable business?

    In a sense, it relates to a pretty simple, arithmetical question: where do you have better chances: in a market with $1,000,000 turnover and 10,000 marketers, or in a market with $100,000 and 100 marketers?

    To me, it looks like one of them might be ten times as good as the other. And it certainly isn't the "big market"!

    What matters isn't the first number: it's the result after dividing the first number by the second number. This, albeit expressed here in very simplified and only-numerical terms, is the key concept that so many people completely miss and misunderstand.

    And regarding "lifestyle and fitness", be aware that those aren't - by any stretch of the imagination - "niches ": they're "markets", and two of the world's biggest.

    Originally Posted by jcwarriorwrc View Post

    I intend to document my journey to success on either blogs.

    I know there's like a gabazillion of them out there
    So avoid it, then, if you already know that?!


    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771327].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Nathan Kruz
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      Unless you're already a successful internet marketer yourself, on no account get involved with a blog "on selling online".

      That market contains about the worst niches there are, to start with.

      Starting off in niches related to IM/MMO is the single commonest mistake that aspiring internet marketers make, and the single commonest reason for their collective failures. People doing this are the main reason for the alleged 95% failure-rate, in IM.

      No surprise at all, if you think about it?

      Why would you want to teach people something of which you have no successful experience yourself?

      .
      I would have to disagree Alexa.

      Just because you have no experience in something, doesn't mean you cant learn it. Everyone has to start off somewhere.

      And starting in the IM niche is definitely not a bad thing at all. Like I said, anyone can learn anything nowadays. And just because there may be many other marketers in a niche, doesn't mean that you can't be successful in it. There isn't just one or two people just completely dominating the IM niche, there is always space for new marketers. There are always stories of newbies starting up their own successful business in the IM niche.

      And regarding "picking a niche that is not full of experts"-There will always be experts no matter what niche you choose. Yes, it could be easier if you choose a niche that is not so saturated, but if you are not interested in it, then your business will not succeed.

      Just some thoughts I had Alexa, but you did bring up some good points as well.

      Nathan
      Signature
      ----> LIMITED!! [FREE REPORT] How To Generate 1,200 Visitors A Day FREE! <----

      Step-By-Step Traffic System :: Free For Limited Time!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771662].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jcwarriorwrc
        Originally Posted by Nathan Kruz View Post

        I would have to disagree Alexa.

        Just because you have no experience in something, doesn't mean you cant learn it. Everyone has to start off somewhere.

        And starting in the IM niche is definitely not a bad thing at all. Like I said, anyone can learn anything nowadays. And just because there may be many other marketers in a niche, doesn't mean that you can't be successful in it. There isn't just one or two people just completely dominating the IM niche, there is always space for new marketers. There are always stories of newbies starting up their own successful business in the IM niche.

        And regarding "picking a niche that is not full of experts"-There will always be experts no matter what niche you choose. Yes, it could be easier if you choose a niche that is not so saturated, but if you are not interested in it, then your business will not succeed.

        Just some thoughts I had Alexa, but you did bring up some good points as well.

        Nathan
        Hey again Nathan,

        Good points. That's exactly why I wanted to start a blog where I document my journey because quite frankly, you do have to start somewhere (as you mentioned). And I do agree with both you and Alexa, that although there isn't a big number of successful "experts," that doesn't mean it's unattainable as well.

        Thanks again.
        Signature

        Keep 100% profit with this Udemy-like site!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771707].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Seofor5
    I would simply suggest the one you find most interesting. Keeping a blog maintained is very hard work, so if your niche isn't interesting to you, it's very easy to get discouraged.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771651].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jcwarriorwrc
      Originally Posted by Seofor5 View Post

      I would simply suggest the one you find most interesting. Keeping a blog maintained is very hard work, so if your niche isn't interesting to you, it's very easy to get discouraged.
      Hi Seofor5

      Good point. I would definitely need to enter a niche/market that I'm interested in or I won't be motivated.
      Signature

      Keep 100% profit with this Udemy-like site!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771695].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JensSteyaert
    I do'nt think you should listen too much to the advice you got so far. There are plenty of people making good money after they got in a super compeitive niche like internet marketing.

    If you would make a decision based on the illusion that it's "too hard" or "the odds are against me" or whatever other self-limiting stuff, then you won't succeed whatever you decide.

    Just make a decision on your own feeling, and not the rate of success in a particular niche
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771654].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cali16
      While I understand where Jens is coming from, with regards to your question (jcwarriorrc) I fully agree with Michael and Alexa.

      Personally, I would much rather read how someone became successful, than spend the tedious amount of (possibly wasted) time reading the person's journey in "real time". Far too many people start off with lofty goals and good intentions and end up fizzling out before they ever come close to reaching those goals.

      Now, that's not saying you won't succeed in either endeavor, but unless you already had substantial credibility for one reason or another, I think you'll struggle getting loyal readers for either blog.

      I think you'd be better off starting a blog on something that you're both very knowledgeable and passionate about.
      Signature
      If you don't face your fears, the only thing you'll ever see is what's in your comfort zone. ~Anne McClain, astronaut
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771666].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jcwarriorwrc
        Originally Posted by Cali16 View Post

        While I understand where Jens is coming from, with regards to your question (jcwarriorrc) I fully agree with Michael and Alexa.

        Personally, I would much rather read how someone became successful, than spend the tedious amount of (possibly wasted) time reading the person's journey in "real time". Far too many people start off with lofty goals and good intentions and end up fizzling out before they ever come close to reaching those goals.

        Now, that's not saying you won't succeed in either endeavor, but unless you already had substantial credibility for one reason or another, I think you'll struggle getting loyal readers for either blog.

        I think you'd be better off starting a blog on something that you're both very knowledgeable and passionate about.
        Hi Cali16,

        Thanks for the advice. I do see what you mean when it comes to credibility, so I'll definitely give it some more thought before finalizing my decision.
        Signature

        Keep 100% profit with this Udemy-like site!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771729].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jcwarriorwrc
      Originally Posted by JensSteyaert View Post

      I do'nt think you should listen too much to the advice you got so far. There are plenty of people making good money after they got in a super compeitive niche like internet marketing.

      If you would make a decision based on the illusion that it's "too hard" or "the odds are against me" or whatever other self-limiting stuff, then you won't succeed whatever you decide.

      Just make a decision on your own feeling, and not the rate of success in a particular niche
      Hey JensSteyaert,

      I completely agree with your points as well and that's why I wanted to find out the advice/opinions of others (like yourself), before I make my decision. Too many times I've jumped into something and never finished, because I didn't make an informed decision.

      Thanks again.
      Signature

      Keep 100% profit with this Udemy-like site!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771700].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ppceve
    I prefer to subscribe to email lists. There are quite a few people in the IM industry that I follow. I don't read their blogs all that often. I prefer to read their emails and then click through to their blog if I want to dive deeper.

    I also prefer to be active on FB and LI groups over blog reading.

    That's how I mainly keep up with important topics and interact with folks.

    I would suggest building an email list. Blogging is extremely hard work. More power to you if you can do it!
    Signature

    Work personally with an Internet Marketing Coach and get ALL of your questions answered. ==> Claim Your Spot Now

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771728].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jcwarriorwrc
      Originally Posted by ppceve View Post

      I prefer to subscribe to email lists. There are quite a few people in the IM industry that I follow. I don't read their blogs all that often. I prefer to read their emails and then click through to their blog if I want to dive deeper.

      I also prefer to be active on FB and LI groups over blog reading.

      That's how I mainly keep up with important topics and interact with folks.

      I would suggest building an email list. Blogging is extremely hard work. More power to you if you can do it!
      Hi ppceve,

      Thanks for the reply. I've actually never heard anyone say that they like to subscribe to email lists, but glad there are those who do. I only say this because I know people are hesitant to give out their emails -- but I do see your point. Definitely an angle I will try when I do start my blog.
      Signature

      Keep 100% profit with this Udemy-like site!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771736].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author modinho
    Just follow your ambitions and try to give readers the value they need. If your blog delivers value and you write consistently it will have positive effects on your blog.

    Credibillity can also be derived from outsourcing the articles to professional writers that have knowledge about particular topics you want to write about. The downside is spending money without knowing if you will ever make it back.... competition is fierce.... and remember value is key
    Signature

    Beautiful Wordpress Themes
    Get 100% Complete Access To Our Entire Collection For Only $39. Visit Homepage

    Affiliates go here: Visit Affiliate Page

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771734].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jcwarriorwrc
      Originally Posted by modinho View Post

      Just follow your ambitions and try to give readers the value they need. If your blog delivers value and you write consistently it will have positive effects on your blog.

      Credibillity can also be derived from outsourcing the articles to professional writers that have knowledge about particular topics you want to write about. The downside is spending money without knowing if you will ever make it back.... competition is fierce.... and remember value is key
      Thank you modinho. I will definitely keep my readers in mind and only provide value.
      Signature

      Keep 100% profit with this Udemy-like site!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771737].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Martin Kortyka
    In today's economy the hot topic is making money online.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771739].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jcwarriorwrc
      Originally Posted by Martin Kortyka View Post

      In today's economy the hot topic is making money online.
      Thanks for the tip Martin.
      Signature

      Keep 100% profit with this Udemy-like site!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9773066].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rory Singh
    Choose a niche that you like. Not one that you think will be more profitable. Just because something is profitable for others, does not mean that it will work for you.

    Use your intuition and follow your passion!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9771943].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      The problem with "follow me" blogs is that they tend to go one of two ways...

      First, the blogger runs into an obstacle and quits. Kind of anti-inspirational, if you ask me.

      Second, they don't want to share their failures, whether from ego or from a desire to appear guru-like and make some money (the real reason behind most follow-me blogs). The blog shifts from follow-me mode to fake-it-til-you-make-it mode, and turns into a pitchfest where every product is wonderful and the blogger has the Midas touch.

      Look at food blogging...

      After the commercial success of "Julie and Julia", the number of bloggers cooking their way to fame went up by orders of magnitude, only to fizzle.

      That said, you seem determined to follow this course anyway. So which topic?

      Flip a coin.

      Heads, it's lifestyle. Tails, it's make-money.

      Flip that coin high, and make it spin. By the time it lands, you'll get a gut check telling you which result you want it to be.

      Go with that one...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9772657].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jcwarriorwrc
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        The problem with "follow me" blogs is that they tend to go one of two ways...

        First, the blogger runs into an obstacle and quits. Kind of anti-inspirational, if you ask me.

        Second, they don't want to share their failures, whether from ego or from a desire to appear guru-like and make some money (the real reason behind most follow-me blogs). The blog shifts from follow-me mode to fake-it-til-you-make-it mode, and turns into a pitchfest where every product is wonderful and the blogger has the Midas touch.

        Look at food blogging...

        After the commercial success of "Julie and Julia", the number of bloggers cooking their way to fame went up by orders of magnitude, only to fizzle.

        That said, you seem determined to follow this course anyway. So which topic?

        Flip a coin.

        Heads, it's lifestyle. Tails, it's make-money.

        Flip that coin high, and make it spin. By the time it lands, you'll get a gut check telling you which result you want it to be.

        Go with that one...
        Hi John McCabe,

        The reason why I want to create a "follow me" blog is that I want to use it to be held accountable, but also show my progress so others are inspired to do the same.

        But you're also correct, it can be a gamble because I could end up not reaching my goals and then quit, or I don't fully be transparent with my content -- even though that's what I'm offering.

        I'll definitely making sure, if I go this route, that I'm not lying to myself and that I be a man of my word -- but more importantly, not lie to my readers.

        Thanks for your thoughts -- made me think a little more.
        Signature

        Keep 100% profit with this Udemy-like site!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9773077].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jcwarriorwrc
      Originally Posted by Rory Singh View Post

      Choose a niche that you like. Not one that you think will be more profitable. Just because something is profitable for others, does not mean that it will work for you.

      Use your intuition and follow your passion!
      That's a good point Rory. That's why I'm torn though -- not sure if I love fitness more than selling online and vice versa. But I do know that I only want to create one blog, because it can get overwhelming too.
      Signature

      Keep 100% profit with this Udemy-like site!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9773071].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author extrememan
    I would pick one you have the most passion in. This will keep you motivated through tough times. Remember blogging is a long-term thing!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9772683].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Randy McLean
      Everyone is a student and everyone is a teacher. There will always be a handful of people that are less experienced than you - in all niches.

      Let's say you know how to get 5 leads per day. You can write about that.

      Or if you lost 19 pounds in 90 days and got abs you can blog about that.

      Sometimes people are also looking for people that are real and they can relate to.

      I just finished reading Me Inc by Gene Simmons (it was actually a Christmas gift) and it's packed with examples of entrepreneurs who weren't qualified to start with but became the best in their field.

      Steven Spielberg is one example. He started out making his first movie with an 8mm camera and charging 25 cents admission. He was a teenager.

      People would have laughed if someone would have said he'd become one of the greatest film makers of all time. We all have to start somewhere.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9772800].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jcwarriorwrc
        Originally Posted by Randy McLean View Post

        Everyone is a student and everyone is a teacher. There will always be a handful of people that are less experienced than you - in all niches.

        Let's say you know how to get 5 leads per day. You can write about that.

        Or if you lost 19 pounds in 90 days and got abs you can blog about that.

        Sometimes people are also looking for people that are real and they can relate to.

        I just finished reading Me Inc by Gene Simmons (it was actually a Christmas gift) and it's packed with examples of entrepreneurs who weren't qualified to start with but became the best in their field.

        Steven Spielberg is one example. He started out making his first movie with an 8mm camera and charging 25 cents admission. He was a teenager.

        People would have laughed if someone would have said he'd become one of the greatest film makers of all time. We all have to start somewhere.
        Hi Randy McLean,

        Hmmm. That sounds like a book I might be interested in because I'm on the same boat with this blog(s) I want to create. I have a little experience, but not enough to be called an expert; but I also know that I want to be one of those success stories whom started from nothing and became someone others can be inspired by.

        I'll think I'll always be a student though Nothing wrong with that though, of course.

        Thanks for your thoughts.
        Signature

        Keep 100% profit with this Udemy-like site!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9773082].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jcwarriorwrc
      Originally Posted by extrememan View Post

      I would pick one you have the most passion in. This will keep you motivated through tough times. Remember blogging is a long-term thing!
      I agree wholeheartedly extrememan. Thanks!
      Signature

      Keep 100% profit with this Udemy-like site!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9773080].message }}

Trending Topics