by hennen
21 replies
I had a really good first month of Fiverr in October ($40). I then had about $20 in sales in November, and only $12 in December. This was all made designing logos.

Why are my sales decreasing instead of increasing?
#fiverr #troubles
  • Profile picture of the author elmo033057
    Your problem (only based on what you've told us so far) is a simple one. You've made the huge error that many people in business make and that's marketing using only one specific channel.

    You should try to market yourself as a graphic designer that services several types of graphic services.

    If you are looking for online graphic jobs, you could advertise on several freelance sites as well. You could also advertise on Craigslist and other cheap sources.

    For my business, I write blog posts, online articles, sell e books related to my business, use a website and direct traffic there, participate in forums, write direct mail pieces to businesses that can use my services.

    In other words DIVERSIFY, because Fiverr could some day go out of business and then what would you do?

    God Bless!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9782825].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aarthielumalai
    How active are you in marketing your business? Fiverr is a very competitive marketplace, and logo designing is a VERY popular service there, so you have a lot of competitors.

    You need to market your services yourself, to get interested prospects to your sales page (in this case, your Fiverr gig) and you have to keep marketing your services, even after you start getting sales.

    Have you wondered why big companies continually market their services, even though they have most of the market share? That principle applies to everyone, even small time services.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9782958].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author elmo033057
      Originally Posted by aarthielumalai View Post

      How active are you in marketing your business? Fiverr is a very competitive marketplace, and logo designing is a VERY popular service there, so you have a lot of competitors.

      You need to market your services yourself, to get interested prospects to your sales page (in this case, your Fiverr gig) and you have to keep marketing your services, even after you start getting sales.

      Have you wondered why big companies continually market their services, even though they have most of the market share? That principle applies to everyone, even small time services.
      Listen to her. She knows exactly what she is talking about!

      Elmo
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9783039].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
        Originally Posted by elmo033057 View Post

        Listen to her. She knows exactly what she is talking about!

        Elmo
        Directing people from a universal market that could potentially yield a considerable, more realistic wage to a site which earns a person less than $4 for a logo design isnt really good advice. It shows quite a significant misunderstanding of effective marketing on the whole.

        If you followed that advice, not only have you stripped a potentially huge amount of money from your pockets, you've also introduced your potential customer to a considerable base of competitors.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9973143].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ksmusselman
          Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

          Directing people from a market that could potentially yield a considerable, more realistic wage to a site which earns you a person less than $4 for a logo design isnt really good advice. It shows quite a significant misunderstanding of effective marketing on the whole.

          If you followed that advice, not only have you stripped a potentially huge amount of money from your pockets, you've also introduced your potential customer to a considerable base of competitors.
          Unless... you add some gig extras to your base gig. I don't know about logo design but you could offer upgrades to the logo for up to $20 extra. Purely as an example: I'll include the vector file for $10; I'll include the PSD file for $20, etc.

          You could even set up a related gig about consulting on logo design; i.e., write up an ebook that talks about designing logos and then promote your design gig in the ebook.

          Just some suggestions I've heard that other people do.
          Signature
          Do You Vape? Submit a Guest Post! SmokersLogicEcigs.com
          Info Blog about Ecigs & Personal Vaporizers
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9973155].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
            Originally Posted by ksmusselman View Post

            Unless... you add some gig extras to your base gig. I don't know about logo design but you could offer upgrades to the logo for up to $20 extra. Purely as an example: I'll include the vector file for $10; I'll include the PSD file for $20, etc.

            You could even set up a related gig about consulting on logo design; i.e., write up an ebook that talks about designing logos and then promote your design gig in the ebook.

            Just some suggestions I've heard that other people do.
            Directing people to a Fiverr gig rather than focus on the external market is detrimental for the fact that you lead a prospect to competitors and business isn't done only at a much lesser potential price, but it is also business that potentially lost in its entirety.

            The entire point of business is to capture a prospect and convert, not capture, lead elsewhere and hope they choose you above everyone else.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9973169].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author ksmusselman
              Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

              Directing people to a Fiverr gig rather than focus on the external market is detrimental for the fact that you lead a prospect to competitors and business isn't done only at a much lesser potential price, but it is also business that potentially lost in its entirety.

              The entire point of business is to capture a prospect and convert, not capture, lead elsewhere and hope they choose you above everyone else.
              Very true, that is.
              Signature
              Do You Vape? Submit a Guest Post! SmokersLogicEcigs.com
              Info Blog about Ecigs & Personal Vaporizers
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9973180].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author SupplementTalk
              Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

              Directing people to a Fiverr gig rather than focus on the external market is detrimental for the fact that you lead a prospect to competitors and business isn't done only at a much lesser potential price, but it is also business that potentially lost in its entirety.

              The entire point of business is to capture a prospect and convert, not capture, lead elsewhere and hope they choose you above everyone else.
              I couln't agree more with this point. I freelance on Fiverr and another site I won't mention and between the 2 sites I make at least $500 making videos for business's. I have never advertised any of these gigs or services I offer. The traffic on the sites themselves is enough to get sales. You MUST make sure you have a better sales page than your competition.

              Also, if you are working hard to advertise and lead people externally to Fiverr, whats to say they have never heard of it and once on the site, they may wonder to other sellers to see what they offer. Before you know it, you just sent leads to "Fiverr" and another seller will be servicing them. If you are going to do the Fiverr thing, do it with part time income expectations, and do everthing "within" Fiverr. Not outside.

              If if turns into a full time income for you than that is great, but that is few and far between and will take some time to accomplish.
              Signature
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9975808].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ron C Farrow
    The above are not really addressing hennen's problem which is falling sales month on month. Fiverr make an effort to give new arrivals a high profile first off to kick start their sales. I'm not so sure that advertising a Fiverr gig is a good idea, particularly as you are already paying 20% of your fee to them presumably marketing is for them to do.

    Have you other related gigs? Business card design, banner design, flyers, letter heads etc. etc. that you could promote to your buyers. On completion of a gig, send a thank you message followed by "have you seen my other gigs".

    Its a good idea to promote your talents on other sites, Elance, Odesk, classified ads, business forums (if allowed), Facebook small business groups.

    I have a team of Fiverr sellers that I have built up for my arbitrage business. If they have a skill in a completely different niche I will do my best to promote it simply because I know their work to be high quality, produced on time and, of course, good value.

    Mean time hennen, I am always looking to build my team so PM me!
    Signature

    Making it with Online Arbitrage

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9783211].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Giavonnie76
      Originally Posted by Ron C Farrow View Post

      The above are not really addressing hennen's problem which is falling sales month on month. Fiverr make an effort to give new arrivals a high profile first off to kick start their sales. I'm not so sure that advertising a Fiverr gig is a good idea, particularly as you are already paying 20% of your fee to them presumably marketing is for them to do.

      Have you other related gigs? Business card design, banner design, flyers, letter heads etc. etc. that you could promote to your buyers. On completion of a gig, send a thank you message followed by "have you seen my other gigs".

      Its a good idea to promote your talents on other sites, Elance, Odesk, classified ads, business forums (if allowed), Facebook small business groups.

      I have a team of Fiverr sellers that I have built up for my arbitrage business. If they have a skill in a completely different niche I will do my best to promote it simply because I know their work to be high quality, produced on time and, of course, good value.

      Mean time hennen, I am always looking to build my team so PM me!
      What kind of work are you looking to have done? (within your team) I don't have enough posts to PM. Sorry.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9973128].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ksmusselman
        Yes, fiverr's a tough marketplace! The most money to be made, I've heard, is in doing arbitrage, although I haven't gotten into it myself.

        I've made over $1000 on fiverr in total over two years. I started out hot, then it dwindled down. I've since cancelled two of my major gigs because I was working for like a couple of hours for $4 net doing videos. I stopped that.

        As for "advertising" your gigs, use your blog. I listed all of my gigs and videos on a page on my blog, Then I share the page once in a while to the major social media sites.

        I definitely need to add more gigs though. I've been watching this guy's fiverr videos and according to the people making the most money, it's advisable to have the max 20 gigs active at all times.
        Signature
        Do You Vape? Submit a Guest Post! SmokersLogicEcigs.com
        Info Blog about Ecigs & Personal Vaporizers
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9973148].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
    Originally Posted by hennen View Post

    Why are my sales decreasing instead of increasing?
    This is typical trend on Fiverr (as it is elsewhere) in the months leading close to Christmas so this is something to consider.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9783233].message }}
  • Diversify yourself.

    If you're relying on just one, two, o just three different gigs, then you need to start adding in more gigs, you have about 20 gigs to use, so use all of them and make more money.

    The thing I see with most people is not taking advantage of every single opportunity on the site.

    Fiverr is a big money maker, and although it won't make you millions in minutes, if you keep making more gigs, you'll have higher chances at getting sales.

    I know you probably want to build that one gig and make it grow, but as of right now, considering it's going very slow, just try to get yourself out there by making more gigs about designing logos. Make each one different or unique. Cross promote them if you'd like to.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9973832].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wasa1
    He is right you need to expand your market share, offer more products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9974029].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rajib882
    Fiverr search algorithm are really poor. Some results comes on top 10 which is totally irrelevant.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9974086].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ksmusselman
      This thread led me to add my video transcription gig back onto fiverr.

      I added some Gig Extras too. Then I posted it on my blog, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, etc., etc.

      Transcription is something I don't want to do on a full time, heavy-duty basis due to physical constraints, but I can do a little here and there.
      Signature
      Do You Vape? Submit a Guest Post! SmokersLogicEcigs.com
      Info Blog about Ecigs & Personal Vaporizers
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9975693].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author SupplementTalk
        I don't agree with some of the advice that is given to you. In my opinion you should not be focusing efforts on marketing a $4 dollar per job business. Imagine, spending money on PPC or spending a bunch of time to manually get traffic to your offer and your profit is only $4. The reason you are decreasing your earnings is because the niche you are in "logos" is the most competitive on Fiverr, period.

        If you are serious about being successful on Fiverr, you need to diversify yourself and find some niches that are not so competitive. Think about it this way, most people searching for a service on fiverr, will either find one on the first page of the recommended or high rated pages. Its just like Google, if you are not on the first page, forget about it.

        I sell video creation and got in a unique video niche before it got popular, now I rank number 1 or 2 on any given day for high rating. (I have never advertised this gig or any of my Fiverr services) It is nice but I can tell you, this gig only makes me about $200 per month. It is a nice chunk of change to pay for other expenses that I have in my internet marketing business.

        Millions of people visit Fiverr every day or every week, it has become a top 100 site in the world, so all the traffic you would ever need to your offer is already there, you have to get a couple reviews and climb the rankings. Oh and you know all these fiverr courses, don't listen to them, you can't just make a crappy gig and think that you will get 10 sales per day, it ain't going to happen.

        Just my 2 cents. thanks.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9975794].message }}
  • Based on assumptions...

    It looks like you have no control over the traffic & sales that you get..

    Therefore, you can't say that your sales are going down (You just had some good months)

    P.S Create more service, and get better Fiverr rankings (For more sales)
    Signature

    [CENTER][B]==> Do you want to make money online? [/B]
    Free video: How regular people are making 6-figures per month on the internet! [URL="http://www.clkmg.com/fc27/UDCL-IN2WF"][B]Watch this free video now![/B][/URL] <==[/CENTER]

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9976921].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jay29mcr
    Look at some other gigs you could do, create a blog and list your abilities and some examples of your work then post in some internet marketing goups (try to stay away from the constantly spammed groups as they mostly are posted by users of Autoposters).

    Don't over post. Try to do it 2-3 times over 2 days.

    Don't link your posts to your Gig on Fiverr. Link it to your blog and give the viewer an impression of you personally before they see others.

    Give them a reason to use you over higher rated gigs. Create an impression
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9976937].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seobro
    Hi Hennen:

    Basically, your question was:

    Why are my sales decreasing instead of increasing?
    Look at "Recently Requested"

    OK so I have an answer. Customers can search for the most recent gigs. Kind of like guys sitting in a bar getting the telephone numbers of hot girls when they first arrive. At one time, you were on top, but not any more. Yeah, you were listed as new. Well, that is not the case now. Time to become a level two seller and get featured so you get more gigs. Key is to look for work and not wait for it to find you.

    Look at "Recently Requested" area. They have work for you.

    They have:

    Need a logo designed really fast - can help me?

    Need a logo for my business that is unique.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9978733].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Spacecatcher
    maybe you can try an alternative to fiverr
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9978813].message }}

Trending Topics