Teespring: Lots of Clicks, 1 Sale -- Is THIS Why?

48 replies
As I see others are experiencing, I'm running a campaign which is receiving
a decent CTR (4%, and most are going to sales page) but is selling next to no shirts...

Both the design, and price are clearly shown in the ad... So it's not that these people
are disappointed with either, once they get to the order page...

So all I can think of is, they don't want to mess with the Teespring "Reserve" system.. They just want to order.

I'm also thinking that at least some of the larger sellers on Teespring have found some way around the Reserve system...

Any feedback on this issue would be very appreciated.
#clicks #lots #sale #teespring
  • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
    Your best bet with TeeSpring is to grow FB groups and pages. Engagement being key. In the meantime, take a look at how others are promoting tees on FB; all the answers are there, you just have to dig.

    Tom
    Signature

    I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic
    Learn one way I earn money: I give away free stuff.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9783826].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author oadvantage
      Your best bet with TeeSpring is to grow FB groups and pages. Engagement being key. In the meantime, take a look at how others are promoting tees on FB; all the answers are there, you just have to dig.

      Tom

      This is spot on , there are also programs that will allow you to auto post content. This works great for running a few niches that you may not have time to interact with on a daily basis.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9785733].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wordplay
    Yes, I'm in the process of doing that, thanks... But I'm still puzzled (as to my original question)... I have dug quite deeply, and haven't seen this particular question/issue (regarding the Reserve system, and getting around it)...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9784166].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisBa
    How many campaigns do you have running right now? If it's just one, then I'd start by getting more going teespring is often a numbers game, just keep pumping out campaigns and if they don't work, then just keep working on more
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9784186].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wordplay
      Chris, thanks for your reply.
      I have tried many different campaigns. None have worked on FB (clicks yes, sales no). The only success I've had was partnering with someone else's FB fan page.

      I'm still left with wondering why people click the ad, knowing full well what the design and price is, and then don't buy. If it is the "reserve" button, then how do successful sellers get around that?

      I know that some sellers buy there own shirts to get it rolling... but that would only work so many times, as Teespring would nail them for it eventually.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9785353].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WillR
        Originally Posted by wordplay View Post

        I'm still left with wondering why people click the ad, knowing full well what the design and price is, and then don't buy. If it is the "reserve" button, then how do successful sellers get around that?.
        I take it you haven't done much previous selling online then?

        Shopping cart abandonment rates are HUGE. This is not out of the ordinary at all.

        Think about how many times you have clicked on similar ads and not purchased.

        A click on an ad (no matter how much detail is given in the ad) means nothing.

        People click on ads all the time and don't buy.

        If no one is buying though then it's not an issue with the reserve system it's an issue with your design. Everyone else on TS is using the same setup and selling loads of tees. So if you are getting decent click numbers and no sales, it's your design.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9791390].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author moreonlife
          Originally Posted by WillR View Post

          I take it you haven't done much previous selling online then?

          Shopping cart abandonment rates are HUGE. This is not out of the ordinary at all.

          Think about how many times you have clicked on similar ads and not purchased.

          A click on an ad (no matter how much detail is given in the ad) means nothing.

          People click on ads all the time and don't buy.

          If no one is buying though then it's not an issue with the reserve system it's an issue with your design. Everyone else on TS is using the same setup and selling loads of tees. So if you are getting decent click numbers and no sales, it's your design.
          Well, in Teeview, I see pages after pages great design shirts having ZERO sale! How do you explain that?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9791493].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author James Campbell
            Originally Posted by moreonlife View Post

            Well, in Teeview, I see pages after pages great design shirts having ZERO sale! How do you explain that?
            Because you are not your target market. What you "think" is a great design may not be great for the market they were intending to target.

            One man's masterpiece is another man's garbage and vice versa.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9791519].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author miklanderson2
              A great design won't sell anything at all if it isn't marketed to the right group of people on Facebook. It's all about putting the right design in front of the right group at a price they're willing to pay.
              Signature

              "A bargain is something you don’t need at a price you can’t resist."
              -Franklin Jones

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9791762].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author WillR
            Originally Posted by moreonlife View Post

            Well, in Teeview, I see pages after pages great design shirts having ZERO sale! How do you explain that?
            Because most people have absolutely no clue how to do proper ads that target the most passionate people in a niche. Also your idea of 'great design shirts' will be different to the next persons. A good looking neat design doesn't mean a good design. Some of the best selling tshirts are nothing more than boring white text. A good design means one that has a message that resonates very strongly with the target audience. Ugly often outsells pretty.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9796664].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
    I hate to ask the obvious, but are 'T-Shirts' one of this group's interests? Did you select Behavior settings for those who make online purchases?
    Signature
    Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9785530].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wordplay
      PerformanceMan, they are targeted specifically to the two interests that converge in the t-shirt design topic.

      In other words, I used the "Audience Intersect"plug-in, to combine
      two specific interests for targeting.

      But no, I did not add that behavior (online purchases) ... I've tried that before, with little result, but I may try it again with this campaign -- thank you for the reminder.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9785552].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
        Originally Posted by wordplay View Post

        PerformanceMan, they are targeted specifically to the two interests that converge in the t-shirt design topic.

        In other words, I used the "Audience Intersect"plug-in, to combine
        two specific interests for targeting.

        But no, I did not add that behavior (online purchases) ... I've tried that before, with little result, but I may try it again with this campaign -- thank you for the reminder.
        Since you're dealing with no sales it might be worth it. Obviously it will send in a lot less traffic but less is more until you start getting conversions. Good luck.
        Signature
        Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9785736].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author oadvantage
          Something else too:

          If you have lot of clicks and not sales, it could just be that the design is not resonating with your audience. Usually, it is just as simple as that.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9785745].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wordplay
    PerformanceMan: Thank you for your help.

    oadvantage: I appreciate your responses. Yes, FB fan pages are the way to go...
    But regarding my current Teespring / FB ad campaign: I don't see how the design would be the issue, if they're clicking on the ad, which clearly displays it (and the price).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9785818].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
      Originally Posted by wordplay View Post

      PerformanceMan: Thank you for your help.

      oadvantage: I appreciate your responses. Yes, FB fan pages are the way to go...
      But regarding my current Teespring / FB ad campaign: I don't see how the design would be the issue, if they're clicking on the ad, which clearly displays it (and the price).
      You're welcome! I never targeted T-shirts, but I just checked and this is an interest of 14 million people and Teespring is 2 million plus. I'd be tempted to test a campaign that adds those two interests to the two you're already using.

      I also suggest trying different days. Some days certain offers seem to convert better than others on Facebook. Might be worth a shot
      Signature
      Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9785870].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author itsajeepshirt
    TeeSpring is doing a new thing where only 5 orders are needed to tip the campaign. Well, it's new to me anyway. In theory, that shouldn't be too hard to do if you have the right audience for it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9785970].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author warrior2008
      Originally Posted by itsajeepshirt View Post

      TeeSpring is doing a new thing where only 5 orders are needed to tip the campaign. Well, it's new to me anyway. In theory, that shouldn't be too hard to do if you have the right audience for it.

      I just wanted to Quote you: Yes, 5 orders is a great deal in order to Campaign Tip ( Meaning Reaching Goal ), then you keep pushing past the goal. Once you tip the campaign the "Reserve Now" button turns into a "Buy Now" button I believe.

      Also, Teespring recently reached out to me with this university.teespring.com/.
      That may be a great group to join as well.

      OK, Cheers, Lance
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9792518].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author moreonlife
    I have launched 4 campaigns in a row but no sale. In one niche, I have a tight target audience, they are liking the post (168 likes) a lot but no one cares to reserve one! I have a doubt if pricing of the shirts could be a reason because there are many other vendors started selling at much cheaper. "Reserve" could be a factor too. I feel like interest of buying t-shirts online has significantly dropped. For some reason, consumers are not spending on t-shirts online. But, I will keep churning out campaigns after campaigns until I make a sale.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9790600].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author miklanderson2
    4% isn't a good clickthrough rate for Teespring ads on Facebook. You should shoot for at least 6%, at a bare minimum. Anything above 10% and you're probably onto a winner. If your clickthrough rate is only 4%, you've either got a targeting problem or your shirt design leaves a lot to be desired.
    Signature

    "A bargain is something you don’t need at a price you can’t resist."
    -Franklin Jones

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9790681].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GregSCN
      Originally Posted by miklanderson2 View Post

      4% isn't a good clickthrough rate for Teespring ads on Facebook. You should shoot for at least 6%, at a bare minimum. Anything above 10% and you're probably onto a winner. If your clickthrough rate is only 4%, you've either got a targeting problem or your shirt design leaves a lot to be desired.
      Disagree!

      CTR is irrelevant, it's all about CVR. I could have a CTR of 10% and still not sell or a CTR of 2% and sell. CTR is a factor in your pricing but it shouldn't be the be all and end all atall, wrong attitude!

      4% CTR is a good start bud, get them converting, split test some designs and then start to split test ads to improve CTR which will in turn bring your costs down.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9790701].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author miklanderson2
        Originally Posted by GregTB View Post

        Disagree!

        CTR is irrelevant, it's all about CVR. I could have a CTR of 10% and still not sell or a CTR of 2% and sell. CTR is a factor in your pricing but it shouldn't be the be all and end all atall, wrong attitude!

        4% CTR is a good start bud, get them converting, split test some designs and then start to split test ads to improve CTR which will in turn bring your costs down.
        I agree that CTR isn't the end all, be all, but it's a pretty good indicator of audience interest in a shirt.

        I've very, very rarely seen shirts that are profitable when the clickthrough rate on my ads is lower than 4% to 5%. Out of 500+ campaigns and thousands of ads being run, I can count on one hand the number of profitable shirts I've seen when the clickthrough rate is lower than 5%. It's a lot easier to find a buying audience than it is to try to squeeze a few sales out of an audience that isn't interested.

        Of course, if you're getting a 2% clickthrough rate and you're still turning a profit, you should keep the ad running and try to optimize it. If you aren't getting any sales, you could waste a whole lot of money trying to get a non-buying group to convert.
        Signature

        "A bargain is something you don’t need at a price you can’t resist."
        -Franklin Jones

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9791034].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author RyanJohnson1
        Originally Posted by GregTB View Post

        Disagree!

        CTR is irrelevant, it's all about CVR. I could have a CTR of 10% and still not sell or a CTR of 2% and sell. CTR is a factor in your pricing but it shouldn't be the be all and end all atall, wrong attitude!

        4% CTR is a good start bud, get them converting, split test some designs and then start to split test ads to improve CTR which will in turn bring your costs down.
        Disagree! The DPL on a teeshirt is about 50% of the value what is is on a skin care or diet rebill bro, hence why you would typically need double the ctr than what you're used to, to make it profitable.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9794627].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GregSCN
    Yes BUT with high TR you might not get sales either, swings both ways that's why I stress it's not the first thing to look at. Of course it's key to improve CTR to generate lower costs, inturn generating more profits but yeah

    My experience comes from 4 years running rebills in the skin and diet market, pretty similar market selling physical goods.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9791061].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author itsajeepshirt
    Is it the season? Are people just catching up on work from the holiday break? I have a couple of great designs going right now with many praises, but very little conversions.

    Are there t-shirt campaigns that are converting well this week? I'd be open to working with someone that knows what they're doing too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9792466].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wordplay
    WillR, thanks for your reply... But because the design is clearly shown in the ad, it doesn't make sense to me that the design would be the primary cause of the abandonment.

    More likely, it's a combination of what you pointed out (about high rates of abandonment in general), and my lack of proper targeting (per miklanderson2) and perhaps the price (though $16.95 seems low to average, from what I've seen).

    Thanks to everyone for your great feed back.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9792871].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RyanJohnson1
    Originally Posted by wordplay View Post

    As I see others are experiencing, I'm running a campaign which is receiving
    a decent CTR (4%, and most are going to sales page) but is selling next to no shirts...

    Both the design, and price are clearly shown in the ad... So it's not that these people
    are disappointed with either, once they get to the order page...

    So all I can think of is, they don't want to mess with the Teespring "Reserve" system.. They just want to order.

    I'm also thinking that at least some of the larger sellers on Teespring have found some way around the Reserve system...

    Any feedback on this issue would be very appreciated.
    4% is an extremely small ctr if you did your targeting correctly! most of my campaigns that are profitable - wildly profitable are minimum 8% ctr.

    i'm in a group with about 300+ tee sellers and over the last 2 years every profitable campaigns i've seen has been around that bench mark.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9794609].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wordplay
      Very helpful Ryan, thank you.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9794767].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicoli
    It's all in your targeting. You need to find the passionate audience and it's not too tough when you know how. And while design is important and cannot look like crap, like WillR said, even simple, plain B&W designs/text on a shirt can sell huge numbers. Some of our 500+ shirt campaigns were simply white text on a black tee. In fact, heres a basic B&W design here you can see that is kicking ass (no it is not ours) RELAUNCHED FOR FEW DAYS ! GET IT NOW! | Teespring
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9796719].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author drewfioravanti
      Originally Posted by nicoli View Post

      heres a basic B&W design here you can see that is kicking ass (no it is not ours) RELAUNCHED FOR FEW DAYS ! GET IT NOW! | Teespring
      I see their intellectual property concerns policy is enforced on a sliding scale.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9797162].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author nicoli
        Originally Posted by drewfioravanti View Post

        I see their intellectual property concerns policy is enforced on a sliding scale.
        indeed
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9797177].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CtrlAltRage
    In my opinion, if I'm getting a 4% CTR on a Teespring campaign I cut it off unless I'm getting sales.

    I usually cut my campaigns off if my CTR is less than 8%.

    Usually when I'm doing my initial testing I look at the following via facebook reports:

    CTR
    Cost per Conversion
    Post Shares
    Post Comments

    I don't look at anything else in the beginning.

    If my CTR is less than 8% after spending 5-10 bucks, I shut it down if no sales were made.

    Ultimately, some people want to buy, actually...EVERYONE wants to buy the shirt right now, but most people don't mind waiting.

    What's your description copy like?
    Signature

    If you want to make money on Teespring, Shoot me a PM.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9797861].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wordplay
      CntrlAltRage: Thank you for your reply.

      You asked what my description copy was like. Here is the ad for the campaign in question.
      Perhaps too busy?

      http://i.imgur.com/9ttqR2V.jpg
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9797948].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author CtrlAltRage
        Originally Posted by wordplay View Post

        CntrlAltRage: Thank you for your reply.

        You asked what my description copy was like. Here is the ad for the campaign in question.
        Perhaps too busy?

        http://i.imgur.com/9ttqR2V.jpg
        That's a cute copy and is very appealing to the eyes. But it's not a great shirt ad in my opinion.

        I think the dogs could stay there, but I don't think the word bubbles are helping you.

        Also, the mention of the "original" price is a little too much. Seeing it for 26.95 and then for "today only" it being $16.95 delivers the wrong impression on perceived value.

        I reckon if you get rid of the prices and word bubbles you'd see a sale or two if you're targeting right.
        Signature

        If you want to make money on Teespring, Shoot me a PM.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9798041].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Phil Wilkinson
          Originally Posted by CtrlAltRage View Post

          That's a cute copy and is very appealing to the eyes. But it's not a great shirt ad in my opinion.

          I think the dogs could stay there, but I don't think the word bubbles are helping you.

          Also, the mention of the "original" price is a little too much. Seeing it for 26.95 and then for "today only" it being $16.95 delivers the wrong impression on perceived value.

          I reckon if you get rid of the prices and word bubbles you'd see a sale or two if you're targeting right.
          It's good to see one warrior helping another, and offering useful suggestions.
          Way to go CtrlAltRage!
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9818464].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author IMAnthony
        Originally Posted by wordplay View Post

        CntrlAltRage: Thank you for your reply.

        You asked what my description copy was like. Here is the ad for the campaign in question.
        Perhaps too busy?

        http://i.imgur.com/9ttqR2V.jpg

        I agree. Your t-shirt design is no good enough to make people buy it.

        Improve it, and you will get a winner.
        Signature
        PAY ATTENTION TO THIS!!



        Are You Ready to Make Money? ----->How I Made $2000 USING LINKEDIN!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9799573].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author moreonlife
      Originally Posted by CtrlAltRage View Post

      In my opinion, if I'm getting a 4% CTR on a Teespring campaign I cut it off unless I'm getting sales.

      I usually cut my campaigns off if my CTR is less than 8%.

      Usually when I'm doing my initial testing I look at the following via facebook reports:

      CTR
      Cost per Conversion
      Post Shares
      Post Comments

      I don't look at anything else in the beginning.

      If my CTR is less than 8% after spending 5-10 bucks, I shut it down if no sales were made.

      Ultimately, some people want to buy, actually...EVERYONE wants to buy the shirt right now, but most people don't mind waiting.

      What's your description copy like?
      Great post. Thanks. So, you basically ignore post likes. Comments and post shares are important. Also, you are saying most people don't mind waiting. My latest campaign which was launched 2 days ago already having 700+ likes, 76+ post shares and 23+ comments. So, I might see some sales popping in just before closing. Keeping my fingers crossed.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9797973].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author CtrlAltRage
        Originally Posted by moreonlife View Post

        Great post. Thanks. So, you basically ignore post likes. Comments and post shares are important. Also, you are saying most people don't mind waiting. My latest campaign which was launched 2 days ago already having 700+ likes, 76+ post shares and 23+ comments. So, I might see some sales popping in just before closing. Keeping my fingers crossed.
        I don't think post likes matter. For the simple fact that a lot of people on social media are "impulsive likers". They like anything and everything if their eyes like what they see.

        The comments and shares are what matter because comments could be someone tagging someone for example.

        Shares are obvious, they are what can make your ad go viral.
        Signature

        If you want to make money on Teespring, Shoot me a PM.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9798053].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pilot47
    what's the "teespring reserve system"?

    I never got that
    Signature

    Be grateful for everything you have.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9798050].message }}
  • Make sure that you target the exact kind of person that would buy the tee. Don't set the age barrier too high i.e. 18-60 years old. Target an age demographic that would buy the tees.

    Most 16-24 years old may not buy tees because of school, college or high student loans that stop them spending money. The best way to make sales is to target people that have a lot of money to spend already.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9800382].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author oadvantage
    I once had a 86% CTR and no sales.

    Why?

    The design was awesome, and people liked the message.

    But, it was too controversial for someone to wear.

    Remember, there is a difference between being CURIOUS about a design and someone actually wanting to buy it and wear it in public.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9817704].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wordplay
    Thanks oadvantage. That's not the reason in my case, but I get your general message.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9817772].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Monk
    Hey great question. I also have launched several campaigns with CTR over 6% and no sales.

    Hi, I'm learning the Teespring game the hard way, any good advice or quick tips?

    How many campaigns do you launch before you get one that converts? I just started and on my third campaign and so far none convert to sales.

    Do you use or can you recommend a software like "FB Initiative" ? Or some other information gathering software, thanks.

    Hi Tom, good advice thank you. I have two fanpages at around 11K likes. Is that number even close to what I need to make a Teespring campaign work?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9821196].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author QueenMelanie
    interesting thread.. Am thinking about getting started on a Teespring campaign of my own soon!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9821525].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nicoli
      Originally Posted by QueenMelanie View Post

      interesting thread.. Am thinking about getting started on a Teespring campaign of my own soon!
      Let me know if you need a hand. I'm doing about 25k per month in profit with teespring and fb. Any questions, just send a pm
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9821527].message }}
  • 1) Change your targeting on Adverts

    2) If your using Facebook, you can get much more conversions (at better prices) if you use 'Website Conversions' instead of 'Website Clicks' option
    Signature

    [CENTER][B]==> Do you want to make money online? [/B]
    Free video: How regular people are making 6-figures per month on the internet! [URL="http://www.clkmg.com/fc27/UDCL-IN2WF"][B]Watch this free video now![/B][/URL] <==[/CENTER]

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9821572].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author huyha
    Originally Posted by wordplay View Post

    As I see others are experiencing, I'm running a campaign which is receiving
    a decent CTR (4%, and most are going to sales page) but is selling next to no shirts...

    Both the design, and price are clearly shown in the ad... So it's not that these people
    are disappointed with either, once they get to the order page...

    So all I can think of is, they don't want to mess with the Teespring "Reserve" system.. They just want to order.

    I'm also thinking that at least some of the larger sellers on Teespring have found some way around the Reserve system...

    Any feedback on this issue would be very appreciated.
    CTR is too low, maybe your design is the probem, or your images is not very impessive, beside i need more detail, share us your link T-shirt, so we can give you a better advice.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10574015].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author globalexperts
    Originally Posted by wordplay View Post

    As I see others are experiencing, I'm running a campaign which is receiving
    a decent CTR (4%, and most are going to sales page) but is selling next to no shirts...

    Both the design, and price are clearly shown in the ad... So it's not that these people
    are disappointed with either, once they get to the order page...

    So all I can think of is, they don't want to mess with the Teespring "Reserve" system.. They just want to order.

    I'm also thinking that at least some of the larger sellers on Teespring have found some way around the Reserve system...

    Any feedback on this issue would be very appreciated.
    It's probably the price that's holding back your potential buyers. Try to adjust the price a bit.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10579923].message }}

Trending Topics