How to make money/sell this Domain name

24 replies
Hi,

A while back I picked up a couple of domains in a sale and then forgot about them (oops) theyare focused on films etc, yesterday I was looking at my domains and this one jumped out at me

AfterFiftyShades.com

Obviously Fifty Shades is hugely popular at the moment and getting more crazy by the day.

Can I ask how you would make money with this domain? Do you think I could sell it?

Thanks for any advice
#domain #make #money or sell
  • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
    Be careful with that one. You're in trademark territory. Develop that domain in any way related to the Fifty Shades franchise and you'll be in a whole heap of legal trouble. As a domainer for almost 21 years, I wouldn't touch it. Not the reply you wanted, I know. If I were you, I'd expand your knowledge of domaining and website development. You've already taken action, which is great. Now, just devote yourself to learning the essentials of both trades, or just of domaining.

    Tom
    Signature

    I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9867813].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author merlincat
      That's a shame!

      It cost me a huge amount 99p

      I had considered setting a site up with adult products and advice on use (could avoid mention of the film) but looks like it could be a problem.

      Thanks for the advice

      Can I ask how obscure does the reference to films or tv need to be, as there are many fan site with products advertised on them i.e Sherlockology

      I also have the domain

      findingfantasticbeasts.com with the intention of putting a fan type site up with amazon etc
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9867861].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
        Banned
        Originally Posted by merlincat View Post

        Can I ask how obscure does the reference to films or tv need to be, as there are many fan site with products advertised on them i.e Sherlockology
        It's not really about "how obscure".

        It's about trademark laws and copyright laws.

        (There's recently been rather a lot of litigation on copyright issues to do with "Sherlock Holmes": at the moment some of the Conan Doyle books are just out of copyright while others aren't, quite, yet.)

        Using something that's trademarked in a domain-name, in the same sort of context as that for which the trademark owner uses it, is a huge "no-no". This forum's a really bad place to ask for, or to take, legal advice, though.


        .
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9867922].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jack Gordon
    Sunglasses for seniors?

    Seriously, potential legal issues aside, what would possess someone to buy (or register) a domain like this in the first place? What does it even mean, and why would anyone be looking for whatever you would put on a domain like that?

    Obviously, you had no plan for this, except to possibly squat on it and make money from someone else's intellectual property. If that was the only idea, then it is not worth it as the owner of that property will have little trouble taking it from you (as well as any proceeds you "earn" from it) anytime they deem it in their interest to do so.

    But the huge flaw in the above paragraph is that the domain is meaningless and unintuitive. The reason you will not likely get in any trouble is because it is not worth anything in the first place, and even if you try to profit from the movie's popularity you will likely fail.

    It just doesn't make any sense to me.The world is full of good ideas just begging to be turned into businesses. Find one of those and develop it instead.

    Like a site selling sunglasses for seniors.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9867879].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author merlincat
      Well that was pleasant and encouraging

      Besides for any personal feelings on the merits of the book or film anyone may have, there is a huge interest in what to read next after the book, or dare I say what to do next

      If you search on Facebook you will find that after fifty shades has gone and is a group discussing what to read after fifty shades.

      So as I explained above my intention was to put that type of site, with articles on or around the subject matter raised by the film, with affiliate products from various adult retailers.

      But thank you once again for your kind words!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9867904].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jack Gordon
        Originally Posted by merlincat View Post

        Well that was pleasant and encouraging

        Besides for any personal feelings on the merits of the book or film anyone may have, there is a huge interest in what to read next after the book, or dare I say what to do next

        If you search on Facebook you will find that after fifty shades has gone and is a group discussing what to read after fifty shades.

        So as I explained above my intention was to put that type of site, with articles on or around the subject matter raised by the film, with affiliate products from various adult retailers.

        But thank you once again for your kind words!
        Sorry, I didn't realize you were only interested in pleasant and encouraging feedback & advice. You should have specified that in your original thread.

        I find that beginning domainers often need some "tough love" to beat back the inherent urges of registering crappy domains (or worse, potentially infringing domains). You can justify your reasoning all you want. And you may even get lucky. But that is a game you cannot win in the long run.

        Domaining is particularly insidious when paired with shiny object syndrome. I like coolestkitchens.com - I would develop that and forget about the others.

        And as Alexa said, be very wary of any legal advice you receive in a marketing forum. Not only is it often wrong, there is nuance that is going to be missed entirely. Ask for it and follow it at your own risk.

        Edit: Nice catch Suzanne! Not that the point needed proving...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9867962].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author merlincat
          Your right I shouldn't justify my reasoning, although what I'm doing is trying to explain my position and thinking. To avoid misunderstanding.

          Looking for guidance,on a subject that let's face it everyone on the forum is doing or trying to do...make money online.

          Thankfully most people on this thread have been really helpful, and I wont develop my spur of the moment domain

          I do intend to develop Forty Ladies (anti aging etc) and Coolest Kitchens.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9867978].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kay King
          ignore any unpleasant replies.
          No - that is very BAD advice.

          When experienced marketers who have been around for a long time and have a good record of helping others here....tells you something is wrong with your "method" it's dumb not to pay attention.

          What I see happening in this thread has become common recently. You are thanking people who tell you what you want to hear. How does that help you?
          Signature

          Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.
          It takes nothing away from a human to be kind to an animal.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9867982].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author merlincat
            Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

            No - that is very BAD advice.

            When experienced marketers who have been around for a long time and have a good record of helping others here....tells you something is wrong with your "method" it's dumb not to pay attention.

            What I see happening in this thread has become common recently. You are thanking people who tell you what you want to hear. How does that help you?
            Well not really I didn't want to hear don't use this domain, and I have thanked people for that advice. It seems like good advice, so I'm taking it
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9867984].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
            Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

            No - that is very BAD advice.

            When experienced marketers who have been around for a long time and have a good record of helping others here....tells you something is wrong with your "method" it's dumb not to pay attention.

            What I see happening in this thread has become common recently. You are thanking people who tell you what you want to hear. How does that help you?
            What baloney.

            An intelligent, experienced, erudite individual can impart wisdom of far greater worth when doing so in a pleasant manner. One needs only to look at the reaction of the OP at the hands of the unpleasantness. He didn't like it. He put up a barrier. And when one puts up barriers to information, the information rarely gets through intact. In a nutshell, then: it is far better to impart knowledge without resorting to doing so in an unpleasant manner. If this were the norm, schools and universities would be replete with loud-mouth yobs. Well-educated myself, I can tell you this is not the case. I have little hope that you'll see sense in what I have so say - but, truly, what you're saying is bordering on the absurd.

            Tom
            Signature

            I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9868253].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
    Merlincat, ignore any unpleasant replies. You're clearly new at domaining, and I dare say, if I was also new, I could be forgiven for making similar mistakes. It happens. Let's move on. Just don't register any more domains that could lead to trademark issues.

    What I suggest you do is learn "domain flipping." This is a great way to enter the quite expansive career of domaining. You can then take what you learn in this career, and if you choose, put that knowledge to good use in web development, beginning with website flipping.

    I've written guides and coach on the subject, so I know there's really too much information to write about in a single post. My best advice now: take the keyword "domain flipping" and learn all you can. Selling domains is actually the easy part. If you think about it, when you have something of true worth, and plenty of potential buyers exist, is it hard to sell that something? Not usually. The hard part, as you already know, is learning which domains to register. Learn that and you'll have a much better chance at turning your 99 cents into 2, 3, and 4 figures. I wish you all the best!

    Tom
    Signature

    I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9867915].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author merlincat
      Thank you Tom.

      I never really thought about domain flipping, and didn't buy these domains with this intent. I tend to have ideas, and then jump about from one idea to the next (these were one of them!)

      I need to focus and work on one idea/plan and not get distracted (I own about 15 domains and these are the only two that relate to anything)

      I think my best are:

      FortyLadies.com
      DietLadies.com
      CoolestKitchens.com

      All bought with an idea and plan, to set up sites, but need to focus on one and develop the idea

      Once again thank you for your advice
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9867929].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
        Originally Posted by merlincat View Post

        Thank you Tom.

        I never really thought about domain flipping, and didn't buy these domains with this intent. I tend to have ideas, and then jump about from one idea to the next (these were one of them!)

        I need to focus and work on one idea/plan and not get distracted (I own about 15 domains and these are the only two that relate to anything)

        I think my best are:

        FortyLadies.com
        DietLadies.com
        CoolestKitchens.com

        All bought with an idea and plan, to set up sites, but need to focus on one and develop the idea

        Once again thank you for your advice
        Glad I could help, buddy. We all have to learn, and I'm sure we're not all perfect! (Except for my wife if you ever read this, honey.)

        Tom
        Signature

        I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9867957].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onSubie
    There is nothing wrong with that domain.

    A Book Title is not copyright so you could even write another book called Fifty Shades of Grey and not be in violation of copyright. As long as it is not the same characters and plot.

    A search of U.S. Trademarks shows nobody has registered a trademark for Fifty Shades so you are fine there too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9867931].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by onSubie View Post

      There is nothing wrong with that domain.

      A Book Title is not copyright so you could even write another book called Fifty Shades of Grey and not be in violation of copyright. As long as it is not the same characters and plot.

      A search of U.S. Trademarks shows nobody has registered a trademark for Fifty Shades so you are fine there too.
      I guess you missed the Fifty Shades and Fifty Shades of Grey registered in every category from soaps and candles to adult board games and more.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9867949].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author onSubie
        Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

        I guess you missed the Fifty Shades and Fifty Shades of Grey registered in every category from soaps and candles to adult board games and more.
        Yes, I did. I did a superficial search to see if trademark (as opposed to copyright) was an issue and didn't see anything.

        Of course, if it was my own idea and domain I would have searched a lot more thoroughly.




        EDIT:
        This is interesting:

        You may also have heard Universal City Studios and its Focus Features division spent $5 million in March, 2012 to make Fifty Shades of Grey into a movie. What you may not have heard is that Smash Pictures thought the story was a natural for an adult movie adaptation, so they beat Universal to the punch and made a XXX version.

        Universal sued Smash alleging copyright and trademark infringement. However, Smash raised an interesting argument in its defense. It asserted the copyrights in the Fifty Shades of Grey books were invalid – and free for anyone to use –because “as much as 89% of the content of the allegedly copyrighted materials grew out of a multi-part series of fan fiction called Masters of the Universe based on Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight novels. . . . much or all of this material was placed in the public domain.”
        http://www.forbes.com/sites/richardb...ht-protection/
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9867955].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
          Banned
          Originally Posted by onSubie View Post

          This is interesting:

          You may also have heard Universal City Studios and its Focus Features division spent $5 million in March, 2012 to make Fifty Shades of Grey into a movie. What you may not have heard is that Smash Pictures thought the story was a natural for an adult movie adaptation, so they beat Universal to the punch and made a XXX version.

          Universal sued Smash alleging copyright and trademark infringement. However, Smash raised an interesting argument in its defense. It asserted the copyrights in the Fifty Shades of Grey books were invalid - and free for anyone to use -because "as much as 89% of the content of the allegedly copyrighted materials grew out of a multi-part series of fan fiction called Masters of the Universe based on Stephenie Meyer's Twilight novels. . . . much or all of this material was placed in the public domain."
          Fifty Shades of Copyright Protection - Forbes
          What's even more interesting ... Smash lost the lawsuit. They settled and had to pay Universal an undisclosed sum of money and the judge issued a permanent injunction against Smash making the movie.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9867991].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author onSubie
            Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

            What's even more interesting ... Smash lost the lawsuit. They settled and had to pay Universal an undisclosed sum of money and the judge issued a permanent injunction against Smash making the movie.
            That is interesting, because even without the "public domain" claim, there are many porn versions of popular moves/books that seem to claim "parody" in their disclaimers.

            I don't know if they get away with it because the trademark holders ignore the violations or if a movie parody that could not possibly be confused with the original is protected.

            All the more reason to see a lawyer if you want to tread in these waters.

            Personally, I stay far away from any content, images or domains that could infringe on someone else.

            Even if the violation is fair, do you want to spend thousands of dollars in court defending it? Not me.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9868027].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author merlincat
              No thanks well out of that
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9868034].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
              Banned
              Originally Posted by onSubie View Post

              That is interesting, because even without the "public domain" claim, there are many porn versions of popular moves/books that seem to claim "parody" in their disclaimers.

              I don't know if they get away with it because the trademark holders ignore the violations or if a movie parody that could not possibly be confused with the original is protected.

              All the more reason to see a lawyer if you want to tread in these waters.

              Personally, I stay far away from any content, images or domains that could infringe on someone else.

              Even if the violation is fair, do you want to spend thousands of dollars in court defending it? Not me.
              That's really the point. Most people do not want to have to spend thousands of dollars defending themselves in court.

              It's rare that I've ever seen a term trademarked in as many categories as this one is. It's fairly obvious that they have huge product plans for this trademark. They've spent a fortune registering it in many categories completely unrelated to movies, such as coffee mugs, soap, candles, etc ... many more.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9868092].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author merlincat
                They already have the obvious sex toys (including a candle),underwear and wine! All of which are available as affiliate products, which I was thinking of promoting on the site.

                But taking advice from above
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9868117].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    Well don't say he didn't warn you. Not only is Fifty Shades of Grey, but Fifty Shades is also trademarked by the same company and not just in one category .... just about every category. I suspect that they fully intend to defend this mark and anyone trying to use it beware.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9867943].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gene Pimentel
    Just a note to keep in mind regarding trademarks. A trademark is automatically established once the term is widely recognized to be associated with a specific product or company, even if it is not officially registered as a trademark.

    Looking up trademark records can aid as a confirmation if it's present, but if there is no registration present, that does not mean that it is not a recognized trademark.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9873710].message }}

Trending Topics