What's the biggest reason most people fail online?

by ejg700
45 replies
About a week ago, I had a really weird dream. I dreamed I was at some seminar entitled "Success comes from 'F-ing' more." Formulating, Focusing, Following through,TransForming,Finishing and Failing. I woke up and thought, "wow that was weird," but it also led me to an epiphany. You see I'm 'that guy.' You know, the one that has dozens of posts ranging, from "what's the best way to rank a video?" and "which CPA doodleyhoo should I promote?" To "I tried promoting a Clickbank product on Facebook, and it didn't work,(Translation- I spent $20 sending a very broad audience to a random Clickbank product. And everyone's favorite, "What's the best way to make money online?" From that, it's pretty obvious that I have no focus. I'm pretty good at starting things, and not finishing them. I'm pretty bad at transforming my process. If something doesn't work the first time, I give up, and never look back. Any formulating I do rarely makes it out of the "in the head" stage. My rampant ADD makes it difficult for me to focus on anything relative to financial success, and I'm so afraid of failure that I've become an expert ninja guru at finding reasons why anything that I might want to do will fail- precluding any attempts at trying. But I think it was the great Wayne Gretzky that said, "you miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take."

I believe that dream was my subconscious's way of telling me that it's time to get over myself, and get going. So I popped some Adderall and sat down and pounded out an overview of all the projects I'd like to accomplish over the next year. I was as detailed as I possibly could be. But there's a problem. I'm pretty creative, and come up with some pretty stellar ideas. But I really don't know how to formulate a solid strategy to convert those ideas into finished products. I'm hoping someone could direct me towards someone who could help me formulate a detailed, step by step linear business plan. I'm not sure how much something like this would cost, but my budget is about $300. I looked online for "business/internet marketing coaches," but I'm still at a loss. MIght someone be able to steer me in the right direction?
#biggest #fail #online #people #reason
  • Profile picture of the author RealCasher
    What you said is pretty normal (at least to me), I used to be a big jumper too.
    I run a lot of projects in the same time.. I dropped a lot of proftable projects and businesses because I tought they won't make me rich overnight.. that's normal.
    YOU have to beat that negative mindset.
    I don't think you need coaching.. everything is available to you and for free.
    What you really need is, DETERMINATION. so why don't you read about that instead of throwing your money on a Coach?
    Signature
    Get Weekly Payouts Stream -Using- My Autopilot Money Machine


    Discover & Jump into the 2015's Hottest Income Opportunity -- (Viral Stuff.)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9871819].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
    Why do most people fail in the business?

    - Laziness
    - Low-IQ
    - Lack of Ability (entrepreneuriaslism, writing, design, etc)
    - Lack of Time
    - Lack of Funds

    There are others. Those are the main culprits.

    Tom
    Signature

    I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic
    Learn one way I earn money: I give away free stuff.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9871974].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kal Sallam
    Lack of focus and execution.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9872011].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JensSteyaert
    A business plan won't do you any good if you do'nt have the focus and drive to succeed. This is where most people fail.

    "Entrepreneurship is living a couple of years like most people won't, to live the rest of your life like most people can't"

    Just keep this in mind when you get started.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9872048].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ezeonlinebiz
    Lack of patience
    Lack of perseverance
    Lack of Knowledge and Understanding (Ignorance)
    Mentally lazy
    Lack of a true mentor
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9872054].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author glennshep
      It's been said a few times already and rightly so - lack of focus. You can have all the great ideas in the world, but if you can't keep things simple and stick to focusing on one thing then you'll end up getting nothing finished.

      Also, a lack of willingness to work hard. People often look to making money online as a 'get rich quick' or 'easy money' option and they expect to be able to click a few buttons and have the money rolling in overnight. Very rarely does this happen in the real world. You have to put in the hard work and keep driving ahead, even when it gets frustrating and it feels like you're not getting anywhere.

      An important contributor to failure, I believe, is a lack of a clear goal and plan of action. If you don't know where you're headed and, more importantly, WHY, then how do you expect to know how to get there? That's a recipe for wandering around aimlessly.

      It's important to have: focus, drive, a goal, a plan, determination, consistency, realism. I believe it's those who don't have those who are the ones who end up failing.

      The big thing for yourself, I think, is to focus on one project at a time. You say you have many ideas, which is great. But don't try to get them all done at once. If they are all related to the same goal and part of the same plan then sure, plan them out, but don't feel tempted to work on them all at once. Really knuckle down and focus on at a time and then, once you've nailed one, move on to the next.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9872203].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Fingertips
        Here's my take on it - having found a niche market and started to see success month on month and growing since June 2014. So many people are mesmerised by the mantras about 'traffic and more traffic' without ever knowing where to send it to.

        The main reason that 97% plus people fail to make any money at all in my experience is from not having a strategy. A proven strategy that is known to work, and if possible a trusted mentor to help you through the first six months. I reckon most people fail because they change direction when they meet an obstacle rather than working through it.

        The simpler the strategy the better. That and and keeping away from all the daily enticements that try to draw us off our track. I was advised never to turn on the computer unless I had a task to carry out with it!

        Keeping your niche as narrow and simple as possible at the start is vital. Unsubscribe from all the emails stuff and stop looking at offers. You can always bolt on more once you have a solid system that is sustainable.

        For me personally - the lightbulb moment came when somebody suggested that rather than starting out with traffic and finding any old product Squeeze Page to send it to, start out with the high-end product first and then build the funnel from the product back to the front end offer. And guess what - it really works. If you want to sell ice cream, the best traffic will be the people who want - ice cream. So if you market your whole sales funnel about ice cream, you will get targeted traffic' instead of general low quality traffic. And if you engage with them as well - you will have them eating out of your hand - probably ice cream.

        That's it - strategy - goals - a plan - small achievable tasks each day and a 'What Matters Now' list.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9873740].message }}
        • Hi

          The biggest issue we faced when we started was "information overload".

          The problem was that we were keen to learn but everybody made what can be a fairly simple approach to making money online so complicated.

          They complicated it so that they could in many cases "take advantage of us" and our naivety in the industry.

          Did we get caught up in that vicious circle of massive information with zero results?? Yep we sure did.

          The sooner you pick a way that suits the time and energy that you want to put into your online career and then focus on [JUST IT] until you make some dollars the better off you will be.

          Maybe you need a mentor, maybe not but you do need someone to get inside your head and find out exactly what it is you really want and what skills you bring to the table to see how possible that is.

          Regards

          Bronwyn and Keith
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9873765].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mattjabz
    The real reason is because they don't know where to start.
    Signature

    Where I make $200 daily - http://www.satisfying-income.info

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9872195].message }}
  • I think there are a couple of other things here.

    One is that we don't think of our internet businesses seriously as a business. This can lend us to almost tinker at making money online. We do a bit and the we walk away or we lose interest because there's not the flood of cash that so many have seen as natural outcome of this dabbling because of the way it is so often marketed. I think that failure to think seriously about it as a business and as something as part of a wider business and investment strategy is something that weakens the necessary commitment to the "process"

    I think the other thing lies in understanding willpower. We use it as a word in an almost throwaway manner but in actual fact its a very real thing. There's a really good book on willpower that explains more about this. We don't either have willpower or we don't. It's more like a muscle that actually needs to be trained.

    We live in a very different world from our recent ancestors. Their life and times called for a very different ethic towards work. They had business to take care of and they did. Modern society is different by comparison in which things have become much easier in so many ways. The ways and lives of our ancestors helped strengthen their willpower. Ours by comparison is weaker in most cases (but not all). That makes focus, stickability and commitment to seeing the process through much more difficult to come buy.

    In terms of focus and willpower, what we know about willpower now means that you cannot go straight from 0mph to 100mph. What's needed is a gradual strengthening. Focus on 1 thing and one small thing within that. Get that done and understand the next thing and break that into a manageable task.

    yes it will take time but the chances are this will strengthen the willpower to carry struggling IM'ers over the long haul.
    Signature

    Be a business - wherever you are http://nomadentrepreneur.blogspot.co.uk/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9872241].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by ejg700 View Post

    What's the biggest reason most people fail online?
    Setting off in completely the wrong direction because they think it's about taking action rather than about education, they don't appreciate that there's far more misinformation around than information, and they haven't yet developed the necessary judgment to be able to decide successfully by whom to allow themselves to be guided.


    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9872247].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author himanuzo
    Reasons:
    - Choosing the wrong business model
    - Not having a business plan and goals
    - Dealing with wrong people (suppliers, business partners, customers, etc)
    - Easy to give up
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9872273].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kencalhn
    as someone who made it, I can tell you from 15+ fulltime yrs experience, it's simply about becoming a trusted expert to a niche that values your honest, genuine expertise.

    a lot of marketers have infested my industry (like parasites), and although initially they get business with their hyped up launches and affiliate models, in time the customers see through the bs and stop buying from them. People smell incompetency and bs a mile away, and are thankfully savvy and demand more. I count on it. So many people lately try to act like experts, but aren't. Epic fail.

    my sales are at multi-year highs (w/zero affs) simply because I'm a recognized expert who actually Does what he teaches (vs poser-bs like my competitors do), and then markets by adding value, doing free weekly webinars, doing things the hard, honest way over many years. Authenticity is everything.

    key is Focus on adding Genuine value to a list that you've EARNED the honest trust of.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9872281].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ejg700
    I pretty much agree with all of the aforementioned points. One of the prerequisites I had before making the OP was that I had to put everything mentioned to bed. At this point I'm ready and willing to do dedicate the entirety of my life and time to making this work. Going forward, money won't be a problem. And I know the exact project path I want to take. I just need a little help filling in the little details. I don't need a coach, all I need is determination/focus and a real vision of the direction I'd like to go in. I have a "rough draft," I just need an "editor." Someone above mention that a lot of people fail because they think it's about taking action as opposed to education. I was the exact opposite. I spent years "educating" myself on various topics concerning online business and marketing, but eventually there comes a time when you must take action. For me that time is now.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9873329].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kursat
    I think there is a lot of information overload so anyone starting out gets easily caught up in the "I need to know everything" mindset.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9873335].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man

      Short Answer! Beware: These are the biggest causes of failure in I.M

      Not knowing how to Find ...


      The Right Targeted product or Service ...


      For The Right Targeted Market ...


      Using The Right Targeted Message ...

      At the Right Time!

      If you don't get those 4 things right first, nothing else matters. Trust me. Not building email list, not SEO, not article marketing, not copy writing, not hard work, not even a good business idea. Does anyone disagree?
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9873351].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DubDubDubDot
    Originally Posted by ejg700 View Post

    I'm hoping someone could direct me towards someone who could help me formulate a detailed, step by step linear business plan.
    A business plan to do what?

    This is like someone asking for an offline business plan and then a plumber, a farmer and an airline CEO show up. That probably isn't going to be very helpful.

    "Make money online" isn't a business.

    But what's concerning about this is your 2010 join date. Why are entry level basics still flying over your head? There's a pretty good chance that you need to diversify your sources of information.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9873410].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ejg700
      Originally Posted by DubDubDubDot View Post

      A business plan to do what?

      This is like someone asking for an offline business plan and then a plumber, a farmer and an airline CEO show up. That probably isn't going to be very helpful.

      "Make money online" isn't a business.

      But what's concerning about this is your 2010 join date. Why are entry level basics still flying over your head? There's a pretty good chance that you need to diversify your sources of information.
      Perhaps I wasn't clear. I have developed some products, and have ideas, but just need some instruction on how to implement them. For obvious reasons, I don't want to post them on an open forum. I'm 95% there I feel. I'm really just looking for someone to look at what I have, and give some suggestions on how to go about getting it done. That's it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9874182].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DubDubDubDot
        Originally Posted by ejg700 View Post

        I'm really just looking for someone to look at what I have
        Then go find someone who has achieved a reasonable level of success doing whatever it is that you have planned.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9874448].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    They quit and restart again too much. If they just started a website selling something... throw a low-ball $100 at it per month, and get a job that makes them happy. While you're balling at the job making money, the person probably won't pay much attention to the internet aspect - although $100 is still being put into it every month.


    3 years from now while they're still working at the happy/great job, their internet income will have probably surpassed their wildest dreams. Law of attraction I guess. That's what I think. Stop quitting and restarting. Just put it up online, and don't take it down. Just advertise for targeted traffic, send to squeeze, then autoresponder, then emails, then sales, and then to backend offers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9873434].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Hi E,

    Here's a solution

    Know WHY you want to succeed online AND make your driver based on freeing you.

    Then, dwell on that freeing reason; traveling the world, being a full time blogger free from the 9-5 office gig.....and as you fall more in love with that reason than you fear doing uncomfortable stuff, you'll rock it out.

    Onward and upward buddy!

    Ryan
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph, Blogger, Author, World Traveling Digital Nomad at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9873817].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peter Lee
      I will just rephrase it as to make it sound more positive for those struggling:

      1.You will find more success if you just focus on ONE element of your core business so don't be victim of the shiny object syndrome.

      2. Set goals for yourself. Give yourself a time frame like 3 months so that you will not give up when you stumble on a few setbacks. During those 3 months don't take results too seriously...ignore results if you know what you are doing and believe you will achieve what you have set out to do.

      3. Develop a good mindset and remember that the road to success is always under construction.-Dan Pena

      4. There are just 3 steps to success:
      a. identify what you want
      b. figure out what sacrifices you need to make
      c. make the sacrifices
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9873860].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Winning34
    In the OP you say your problem in the past has been working on too many different things and then you go on to say that your solution to that is to write down a long list of all the projects you want to accomplish this year Sounds like you're making the same mistakes again.

    Take that list of projects and choose one and then take action. Make a plan, but a quick one on a single sheet of paper but don't spend $$$ or weeks on a business plan unless there is a large financial investmant involved. It sounds like you're a perfectionist / eternal planner and tbh, that's your biggest problem right now.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9874099].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ejg700
      Originally Posted by Winning34 View Post

      In the OP you say your problem in the past has been working on too many different things and then you go on to say that your solution to that is to write down a long list of all the projects you want to accomplish this year Sounds like you're making the same mistakes again.

      Take that list of projects and choose one and then take action. Make a plan, but a quick one on a single sheet of paper but don't spend $$$ or weeks on a business plan unless there is a large financial investmant involved. It sounds like you're a perfectionist / eternal planner and tbh, that's your biggest problem right now.
      That's exactly what I plan on doing. I've learned that trying to work on more than one thing at a time gets me nowhere. You're correct. I was a perfectionist/eternal planner. Now that I've dealt with that... Ya know, the more I think about it the more I think I can contribute to my plan before asking for help. Thanks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9874255].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brunski57
    the main reason... Nobody wants to buy your crap!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9874222].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author doshort
    In our India, most of the blogger do only copy and paste, or easy work like Results, recruitment, jobs and vacancy, sms, messages, shayari and much more related posts. They don't think to do innovative and something new. That's why 60% of Indian blogger fails within a year.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9874256].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Shombe
    Lack of genuine content i think...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9874419].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SnowballtheKing
    The reason most fail online is mainly because the lack of instant results. People expect that once they start it the money will literally flow in and when it doesn't they give up.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9874432].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author oghenk
    Your inner belief systems will make or break your business!
    Your perception of your self is the vital key to your success. It's because of self-imposed limits. Your inner boundaries will always sabotage true, long-lasting success - no matter what you do, no matter how hard you try.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9874733].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rajivkumar900
      With My Experience I can Tell you, Top 10 Reasons for failure Which practically force every newcomers to increase failure numbers than success rate are

      Misleading information

      Information overload

      Lack of direction

      Paralysis of Analysis (people analyze stuff too much)

      Lack of focus

      Lack of Action

      Time Management (People spent more than required time)

      Wrong Mindset

      Some people are Lazy

      Fear to test new stuff

      here i do want to mention people didn't face all of them but most of time a failure reason comes out of above reasons only.
      Signature

      Rajiv Kumar
      Skpe: rajivkumar900
      Email id : rajivkumar900@gmail.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9874765].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Edson Buchanan
    All of the answers above is 100% correct and I completely agree with them all. I would also add that the right mind set is something that needs to be addressed with online failure.

    a handful of people jump online thinking it will somehow fix their current financial situation and really don't realize how much work it is until they start doing it.

    After trying to search for that easy money, they give up!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9874805].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author huma1985
    they can,t work continuously daily, due to this the search engine and other problems comes and online business fails.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9874822].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Niche Blogger
      Not having a clear enough plan and not seeing things through. It's hard though when you're starting out to create a clear plan when you're suffering from information overload. Sometimes you do need to try several things to find what works for you.
      Signature
      Custom Mega Authority Sites - 1000+ Word Articles (written by REAL native English speaking writers)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9874836].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fsagor00
    People are not patient on online. They want to do many things in a short times. For that they fail.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9874833].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Everyoung
    Perhaps some people are not quite patient enough. Every person who decided to take a step into online marketing should remember that every step in the right direction counts. The hardest work will always pay off.
    Signature
    Affiliates needed! Join the brand new Unplag affiliate program to earn even more than $700 monthly!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9874858].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author saeedrk
    People should need to understand basics of online marketing or online business . So need to spend time to get into it .
    Signature

    Well blogger and know about IT (information technology) .

    Work on Top Information Technology Ideas

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9874865].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sal64
      Originally Posted by saeedrk View Post

      People should need to understand basics of online marketing or online business . So need to spend time to get into it .
      A business is a business is a business... online or off. The fundamentals are the same.

      Too many have fallen for the trap that they create a product and people will automatically buy it.

      If you don't believe me, just look at the questions posted on this forum...

      Hardly ever a mention of the need to learn sales copy, learn metrics or testing.
      Signature
      Internet Marketing: 20% Internet - 80% Marketing!
      You Won't See The Light Until You Open Your Eyes.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9874931].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Slade556
    I would say many fail because of many reasons. However, lack of information seems to be the one reason that is above all. You can't have a successful career online if you don't know the basics! If you don't read and learn about what you're doing, it's very likely you will fail.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9874874].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sal64
    Easy...

    Too much focus on Internet and not enough on Marketing.

    But otherwise...

    Not prepared to pay the price for success. IE: not willing to put in the time effort and money to build a real business.

    Man, I could easily roll out another 100+ reasons.
    Signature
    Internet Marketing: 20% Internet - 80% Marketing!
    You Won't See The Light Until You Open Your Eyes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9874926].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by sal64 View Post

      Easy...

      Too much focus on Internet and not enough on Marketing.
      Hey Sal,
      I like that adage. Very original and dead on.

      Would you Mind if I use that in my next Broadcast ?


      - Robert Andrew
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9875395].message }}
  • Well, I have a little bit knowledge about your query, which I am explaining. The one of the best reasons to fail in online marketing is lack of awareness of current marketing tradition. They don't want to sustain their petition and want growth very rapidly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9874963].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kencalhn
    the main reason people fail is they aren't genuine, authentic experts in what they're selling, and the marketplace 'smells the bs'/lack of qualifications a mile off, so they don't buy.

    what qualifies You to be selling information to customers? your credentials? your proof? where's the beef?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9875108].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author C G
    Not working hard on a proven method...

    There's tons of methods that are proven to work out there. (just do a search on this forum)

    People are not willing to put in the hours required to succeed. It's like with any goal. You need to understand that it's not easy to make money online. You need to sacrifice alot.

    Cheers,

    C.G.
    Signature
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9875121].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author art72
    In a word...."WORK"

    It takes real work, time, and effort... And somehow many who stumble upon the internet seem to think; "they don't have to work!"
    Signature
    Coming Soon... *Laser Targeted Lead Generation Services
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9875124].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PeterJason
    Being Inconsistent. Doing this and that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9875408].message }}

Trending Topics