Stopping Bot Spam on a Forum

by kk075
14 replies
I belong to another forum (not IM related- it's for a football team) and some jerk out there has an automated program to create a username/password and then post a well-spun article full of affiliate links on bodybuilding. The text is so bad that it doesn't even resemble English, but the robot hits us at least 20 times a day spawning new accounts and spam.

Well, to make a long story short, this is a very small community where we all self-police the forum. The site's owner hasn't been around for years so all we can do is delete the posts...but how do we ban this guy? Would a mod be able to IP ban him somehow? I'm not an expert but the forum is built on the same platform this one is...if that helps.

Any advice would be highly appreciated. I've even been clicking on the guy's links, visiting his testimonials for bodybuilding supplements and leaving ridiculous comments; calling him a thief, a pedophile and everything else I can think of to grab this dude's attention. So far though, not a single reply...and his nice squeeze pages all have personal messages from me to scare off any potential customers. Is it possible that he's too dumb to even look at his own traffic and what they're posting?

Anyway, I officially HATE this person...so tell me how to fight back. Thanks =)
#bot #forum #spam #stopping
  • Profile picture of the author Ross James
    https://www.spamhaus.org is usually what stops most of it
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9906334].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TeKn1qu3z
    It is a bot you need to use some plugins according to your forum CMS. try to use captcha for new registrations.
    There are some automated tools to use such bot for posting on forums and you are unable to stop it.
    Once you deleted the existing posts it automatically post new ones.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9906335].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kk075
      Originally Posted by TeKn1qu3z View Post

      It is a bot you need to use some plugins according to your forum CMS. try to use captcha for new registrations.
      There are some automated tools to use such bot for posting on forums and you are unable to stop it.
      Once you deleted the existing posts it automatically post new ones.
      Thanks to you and others who suggested this...I'll see if one of our moderators have the power to add it. The big problem is that the domain owner has some personal issues and not around anymore, so we're sort of fending for ourselves.

      Originally Posted by Ross James View Post

      https://www.spamhaus.org is usually what stops most of it
      I'll have to figure out how to use it....thank you though!
      Signature

      Learn to sell like a pro through Web Synergy's marketing blog.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9906683].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author redarrows
        you can use a drop down box and ask the user a question related to an saw on the drop down box.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9906695].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RealCasher
    Add re-captcha to the registration page, it's that easy.
    Signature
    Get Weekly Payouts Stream -Using- My Autopilot Money Machine


    Discover & Jump into the 2015's Hottest Income Opportunity -- (Viral Stuff.)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9906342].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve B
      Have you tried contacting his hosting company to file a complaint? Most hosts are sympathetic to abuse of their system.

      Steve
      Signature

      Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
      SteveBrowneDirect

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9906369].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kk075
        Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

        Have you tried contacting his hosting company to file a complaint? Most hosts are sympathetic to abuse of their system.

        Steve
        I didn't think of that...but I'll definitely try it moving forward. Thanks for the tip!
        Signature

        Learn to sell like a pro through Web Synergy's marketing blog.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9906674].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CPABeyondNetwork
    Use some captcha service, the ones that can't be solved easily, like picture captchas with puzzles, that way bot can't resolve it.


    Best regards,

    Nikola,

    CPA Beyond
    Signature

    AM at CPA Beyond - #1 Private Network - Daily Payments (No Fees)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9906461].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Janice Sperry
    The owner may be willing to give you or someone else temporary admin access to try some of the suggested steps. I don't think there is much you can do with limited moderator powers. Some forum script even allows limiting the admin permissions to only certain areas/functions if he is reluctant to give you full access.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9906712].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kk075
      Originally Posted by Janice Sperry View Post

      The owner may be willing to give you or someone else temporary admin access to try some of the suggested steps. I don't think there is much you can do with limited moderator powers. Some forum script even allows limiting the admin permissions to only certain areas/functions if he is reluctant to give you full access.
      That stinks but I appreciate the honest, straightforward answer. Without getting in touch with the site owner, it looks like we're going to have to deal with the spammer directly through his host.

      Thanks so much though...it puts us one step closer in the right direction.
      Signature

      Learn to sell like a pro through Web Synergy's marketing blog.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9906760].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicheblogger75
    What I really hate are the LOWLIFES who are selling solo clicks and then using bots to send fake traffic and subscribers! I think that is the epitome of douchebaggery. It is destroying the solo ad industry as it is now loaded with these shitheels.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9907037].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    Originally Posted by kk075 View Post

    I've even been clicking on the guy's links, visiting his testimonials for bodybuilding supplements and leaving ridiculous comments; calling him a thief, a pedophile and everything else I can think of to grab this dude's attention. So far though, not a single reply...and his nice squeeze pages all have personal messages from me to scare off any potential customers. Is it possible that he's too dumb to even look at his own traffic and what they're posting? =)


    I definitely wouldn't keep doing this. He sounds like an Online Sociopath.

    This could just make it worse in my opinion .


    - Robert Andrew
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9931776].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kk075
      Originally Posted by discrat View Post

      I definitely wouldn't keep doing this. He sounds like an Online Sociopath.

      This could just make it worse in my opinion .


      - Robert Andrew
      Yeah, I was dumb for doing it and I've stopped...either he got the point though or someone on the site figured out how to ban his robots. I posted all these tips on the football site for the mods and we haven't seen the guy in over a week. So I guess only time will tell if he's really gone or not.

      Thanks everyone for helping though...one of you saved the day. About 150 happy Miami Dolphins fans really appreciate it.
      Signature

      Learn to sell like a pro through Web Synergy's marketing blog.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9931876].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kk075
    Well, I spoke too soon...the robot is back today. Here is his latest spam (but you'll notice that comments are now disabled...so he did see my return-spam finally)-

    Jivam skin care master prime would - Phinzmania

    I'm not a tech guy by any means when it comes to Internet Marketing, so I had no idea how to find this person's ISP. Any help would be appreciated.
    Signature

    Learn to sell like a pro through Web Synergy's marketing blog.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9932980].message }}

Trending Topics