I've been doing what I do for a couple of years, primarily helping small businesses in their website matters, in my country and in the region (and some even from the US).
The work I do with my clients primarily revolve around:
1. Web Design - Designing, laying out, and beautifying websites. For some clients, the designs extend beyond the web, into print collaterals too.
2. Web Development - Developing system backends (e.g. like a futsal court facility booking system with an administrative backend to administer the bookings, or a backend for a food caterer to manage their orders)
3. Web Marketing - Basic copywriting (just following the AIDA formula), and driving traffic to websites with SEO, Google Adwords and FB Advertising, as well as tracking the enquiries / conversions.
Anyway that's about to be in the past. Today, I'm finally posting something here, because I need some help.
This year, I would like to transition my business from providing services to developing a product to sell... for a couple of reasons.
1. Scalability - Selling my time just isn't scalable. Like any human, I have only 24 hours a day and there's only so much I can do. Hopefully with a product, I can impact and provide more value to more people, and in turn be able to scale up my revenue. I figured I can also scale by hiring people... but managing a web design agency just doesn't fit right into what I want to be doing.
2. Future time and location freedom - I know, the "4 hour work week" or working at the beach with just a laptop and Internet connection won't come just yet, but hopefully with a stable product, I can at least take a vacation without worrying about missing an call from a client who needs urgent help!
3. Just for a change - Call it a mid-life crisis if you want (heh!), but after 7 years, I feel I need to shake things up a bit in my life, to make room for greater things (or risk becoming a "dinosaur"!).
The first "gut feel" idea that I have is to create an online course, to teach small business owners (or aspiring business owners) to set up their business website properly, drive some qualified traffic and get some enquiries or sales. Afterall, this is what I have been doing to put rice on the table for 7 years.
At the same time, I feel a little apprehensive because there are so many products out there, all claiming to be the next big thing in online marketing... I wonder if all of these products really deliver what they claim to do?
So anyway, my questions are:
1. How can I create a course to REALLY add value and help people who want to build a proper website?
2. How do I position the course DIFFERENTLY so that it is something people will want to buy?
Any experts here to advice?