Is anybody else tired of upsells?

60 replies
I would like to see UPSELLS eliminated, wouldn't you?

If your product is worth $67, then say it costs $67.00 Don't make us think it's only $18.97 and then tell us that we really won't be able to do much with it unless we hand over another, larger chunk of cash,

From now on when I run across an upsell I think I'm going to ask for a refund. Even if the product would be useful.

It's bad business. I mean if I go to the store for a new pair of jeans and I go to the counter to pay the $46 on the price tag, and the cashier says "Do you want a zipper with those pants? If so, that's another $27" I'm gonna be pissed. It's false advertising.

It simply isn't fair to the purchaser. If the product is worth $67, and there is no upsell, I'm gonna buy it.

Upsells are insulting and don't make for good customer relations. They are a trick. Who likes being tricked?

Aren't we above that? What are we? Mice being led to a moustrap?Tell your audience the real price . Aren't we adult enough to be able to say,"Heck yeah! That's worth $67?"
#customer relations #refunds #tired #trickery #upsells
  • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
    Lead the revolution.

    If you sell products, advertise the fact that you have "NO UPSELLS, DOWNSELLS, CROSS SELLS, OR ANYTHING ELSE!"



    You'll attract like-minded people, be helping cleanse the industry you're in, all the while building unshakable prestige and unbreakable relationships with your end users. (And it will be a "Feel good" promotion because you're in absolute congruence with your own ideals).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979809].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GlenH
      That's exactly what I do with all my products....

      I promote the fact that I don't, and never have, offered upsells, down sells (or any other type of 'sells')

      The buyer gets the full products with all the bells and whistles right up front the first time.

      Some marketers would say I'm crazy to do that, but not me.


      Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post

      Lead the revolution.

      If you sell products, advertise the fact that you have "NO UPSELLS, DOWNSELLS, CROSS SELLS, OR ANYTHING ELSE!"



      You'll attract like-minded people, be helping cleanse the industry you're in, all the while building unshakable prestige and unbreakable relationships with your end users. (And it will be a "Feel good" promotion because you're in absolute congruence with your own ideals).
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9980006].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NetMan
    Originally Posted by ahutton View Post

    I would like to see UPSELLS eliminated, wouldn't you?
    It's not going to happen tomorrow... "Would you like a hot pie with your burger and fries?" Have you never called a hot line on an infomercial to buy the "announced" product? It's always been around, and always will be, this is where the real gold is, this is far from being bad business.


    Originally Posted by ahutton View Post

    If your product is worth $67, then say it costs $67.00 Don't make us think it's only $18.97 and then tell us that we really won't be able to do much with it unless we hand over another, larger chunk of cash,

    From now on when I run across an upsell I think I'm going to ask for a refund. Even if the product would be useful.

    It's bad business. I mean if I go to the store for a new pair of jeans and I go to the counter to pay the $46 on the price tag, and the cashier says "Do you want a zipper with those pants? If so, that's another $27" I'm gonna be pissed. It's false advertising.

    It simply isn't fair to the purchaser. If the product is worth $67, and there is no upsell, I'm gonna buy it.

    Upsells are insulting and don't make for good customer relations. They are a trick. Who likes being tricked?

    Aren't we above that? What are we? Mice being led to a moustrap? Tell your audience the real price . Aren't we adult enough to be able to say,"Heck yeah! That's worth $67?"
    Hopefully you will find out that there's no zipper on the pants before heading to the counter to pay for it.

    Seriously, upsells are not meant to caught people in a "mouse trap" at all. Only crooks do that. I mean, I could certainly be very satisfied with the burger and fries I've just ordered, and I always have the choice to take that "hot pie" I'm being offered or not, and the burger and fries will still be and taste a burger and fries.

    As far as "introductory low prices", I guess you've heard of "loss leader" tactic that bricks and mortar stores are practicing every day to draw you in, right?

    Best regards,
    Andre Foisy
    Signature
    **GET...** Cash Magic Funnels @ 80% OFF | PM me for the Coupon! Available for a VERY SHORT TIME ONLY!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979835].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author curiozities
      Originally Posted by NetMan View Post

      As far as "introductory low prices", I guess you've heard of "loss leader" tactic that bricks and mortar stores are practicing every day to draw you in, right?

      Best regards,
      Andre Foisy
      The first thing that enters my mind is all the drugstores where I live offering a gallon of milk for around $3.00. That forced the grocery stores to do the same, to keep from losing their customers.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979885].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author NetMan
        Originally Posted by curiozities View Post

        The first thing that enters my mind is all the drugstores where I live offering a gallon of milk for around $3.00. That forced the grocery stores to do the same, to keep from losing their customers.
        Exactly, and how many time have you just got in to buy the milk and not buying anything else while there?
        Signature
        **GET...** Cash Magic Funnels @ 80% OFF | PM me for the Coupon! Available for a VERY SHORT TIME ONLY!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9981344].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author curiozities
          Originally Posted by NetMan View Post

          Exactly, and how many time have you just got in to buy the milk and not buying anything else while there?
          Bingo! And that is the entire purpose for loss leaders. I might have discipline if it's just me but if I take my son, I'm not getting out of there without some toy.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9981944].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author curiozities
            I have to add a personal example just from last night.

            My car was overdue for an oil change (as well as a tire rotation, to save wear and tear on the treads) and with both time and money at a premium, I took it to a nearby Jiffy Lube after work (the day job, that is). I had intended to do just the oil change, as I had long ago gone to a different Jiffy Lube store where the tire rotation guy always seemed to be out when I went there and I thought that would be a problem at this new place, too.

            So while they're changing my car's oil, I ask the service guy if they can rotate my tires and he says "sure."

            Then he asks me if I want to balance the tires too.

            I'm not a master mechanic but I know a few things about cars. I thought at first "Oh jeeze, here they go with the upsell, the reason I only marginally like Jiffy Lube." But then I realized the wisdom of having the tires balanced after moving them around. After all, I've got a wife and a young son and the last thing I want is to be on the highway with them in the car and one (or more) of the tires starts to vibrate or wobble on me.

            So I agree to do it and the $25 job (oil change only) that became a $50 job (oil change plus tire rotation) now becomes a $70 job but I'm happy and grateful that the guy mentioned balancing the tires along with rotating them because I never would've thought of it myself.

            So there, an upsell that actually ended up with a happy customer. I'll definitely go back to that Jiffy Lube store in the future.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9981954].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Nightengale
              curiozities,

              That's an excellent example of an upsell that not only greatly increased the amount of the original sale, but it was also of service to you, the customer. It was NOT at the expense of the customer, selling him something just to sell him something.

              And I love your example because it's not a sexy service or industry. Its not high end, nor is there anything about an oil change that makes the customer feel special or is a status symbol (like Starbucks, for example). Their people don't typically provide a great experience or make recommendations in a polished, nice manner. It's an ordinary, run-of-the-mill service, but one that's very necessary to keep our cars running.

              But if our cars break down on the way to work, it can potentially cost us our job, makes us look bad and at the very least, can make for an awful, no good, very bad day.

              And that's what good upsells and downsells are all about: being of service to our customers.

              As someone else mentioned, Amy's complaint makes it abundantly clear that she's a BUYER, not a seller.

              I think most of us have gotten caught in that trap, diving deep into learning, buying everything in sight and selling nothing. I know I have.

              I think there's a time and a place for diving deep and educating yourself, laying a solid foundation. But at some point, you need to put the brakes on the buying and start building a list and making offers.

              And when you do that, you realize very quickly how important well-done upsells and downsells are.

              Make an upsell offer. Do it well. BE. OF. SERVICE.

              Michelle
              Signature
              "You can't market here. This is a marketing discussion forum!"
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9981972].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eaw44f
    I think you need to look at from a different perspective.

    I think upsells are great if the upsell products help the customer even more.

    For example say I purchase a list building ebook or video course for $27

    And the product owner hit you with an upsell of a wordpress plugin that helps you create squeeze pages and other pages that are important.

    If i was a customer i would be glad the seller presented me with another offer that would help me reach my goal of a building a list faster.

    Another example I am a big shoe collector. Every time I purchase a shoe, they upsell me on cleaning products, socks, shoe strings and other related products that I may be interested in

    Plus, if you are doing paying for advertising, 1 or 2 upsells could potentially cover the cost of your ad spend.

    But, to each its own I guess.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979856].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisBa
    As much as I hate them, it unfortunately works for the sellers so I don't see them going away anytime soon
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979865].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Hi Amy,

    This is tricky, because for every annoyed person you have a thankful person, happy to buy

    Maybe you're having a moment? Or, you're through with the upsell bit.

    In either case people will continue to upsell because tons of folks want to add on, want to buy more, and readily spend their money.

    Call it greed, or just not wanting to miss out on stuff, or receiving a valued service.

    In any case, the upsell will be around for a minute methinks

    Signing off from Bali.

    Ryan
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph inspires you to be a successful blogger with his courses, 100 plus eBooks, audio books and blog at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979876].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author curiozities
      I have to admit I don't like them as a buyer but I see the wisdom in having them, provided they're not unethical (i.e. like a used car salesman selling you a car and then, after you've paid and signed all the contracts, tries to sell you the engine that goes in the car you just bought).

      Once a customer has already bought from you, the chances they'll buy again goes up. So not having an upsell or OTO or something similar is leaving money on the table. Remember, nobody forces you to buy that upsell or OTO (or the original product, for that matter).
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979883].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chrisnos
    Originally Posted by ahutton View Post

    I would like to see UPSELLS eliminated, wouldn't you?

    If your product is worth $67, then say it costs $67.00 Don't make us think it's only $18.97 and then tell us that we really won't be able to do much with it unless we hand over another, larger chunk of cash,

    From now on when I run across an upsell I think I'm going to ask for a refund. Even if the product would be useful.

    It's bad business. I mean if I go to the store for a new pair of jeans and I go to the counter to pay the $46 on the price tag, and the cashier says "Do you want a zipper with those pants? If so, that's another $27" I'm gonna be pissed. It's false advertising.

    It simply isn't fair to the purchaser. If the product is worth $67, and there is no upsell, I'm gonna buy it.

    Upsells are insulting and don't make for good customer relations. They are a trick. Who likes being tricked?

    Aren't we above that? What are we? Mice being led to a moustrap?Tell your audience the real price . Aren't we adult enough to be able to say,"Heck yeah! That's worth $67?"
    I don't think so, I think they've just been abused. If someone is genuinely interested in products, and you're offering them something you truly believe can help them, that's something entirely different.

    The problem is many marketers are thinking about making as much as possible and maximizing every sale, So they throw as much as they possibly can at person, with no consideration for whether it's spam, or whether it's in their best interests and they're thinking about helping them.

    If someone has a new parenting jeans, and you offer them a matching shirt, that's not a bad thing -that's something that potentially result in them being happier.

    This is why I prefer to avoid marketing altogether, and simply offer valuable content that lets the person judge for them self what it's worth, for most marketers just think about closing the sale, they give little thought to what they're providing to the customer beyond what makes them money.

    What's fair never even enters the equation, but what many marketers don't realize is that if they focus on building long-term relationship, And doing everything to create a good experience and a good reputation with their customer they're going to be a lot more successful both financially and reputation wise in the long run.

    Its games and greed like this that make you not want to buy from a company again, and even less likely to actually want the upsell even if you think it could help you. Because you just don't want to deal with that business and their games anymore.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979892].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Importexport
      I have never done any upselling when marketing my eBook on importing. I simply set a price that I consider to provide outstanding value.

      If people look at what I am offering, and agree that it is good value, they will buy it, and I am content with that. I am not interested in selling them anything other than my book.

      I do include some affiliate links in the book, but only ones for products that I genuinely believe will be helpful to the readers. I do not promote those products in any way, other than to mention them in the relevant context. Take it or leave it. The readers know if it will benefit them.

      Similarly, I don't offer freebies. I don't offer dramatic (fake) discounts. I don't have sales or special offers.

      The result? Huge sales.
      Signature
      Don't just slap on a label. Build a GREAT BRAND http://powerlabelsforprivatelabelingprofits.com Safe sourcing and easy importing from China & many other countries.https://ko296.isrefer.com/go/pcs001/whay/
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979925].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    Originally Posted by ahutton View Post

    It's bad business. I mean if I go to the store for a new pair of jeans and I go to the counter to pay the $46 on the price tag, and the cashier says "Do you want a zipper with those pants? If so, that's another $27" I'm gonna be pissed. It's false advertising.
    ^^This is NOT an example of an upsell at all. (And I understand why you'll be pissed because the "no zipper in the pants" makes it so much easier).

    But a real upsell enhances or compliments the initial product it doesn't complete
    it. In the case of the the jeans, you'll expect it to have a zipper, so that's not an upsell.

    If marketers are making their upsells necessary for their primary products to
    work then they have it all wrong.

    -Ray Edwards
    Signature
    The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979936].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jennifer Hutson
    Originally Posted by ahutton View Post

    Upsells are insulting and don't make for good customer relations. They are a trick. Who likes being tricked?
    Your mentality is so far off the mark, here.

    Might as well boycott McDonald's, your ISP, eat-in restaurants, car washes, gas stations, the mom-and-pop shop that asks you if you'd like to buy a pack of gum with your purchase, and every domain provider ever – because they all offer upsells with their products and services.

    There is a difference between upselling and abusing upsells.

    Like Raydal said, if it's an upsell that compliments the original product and isn't necessary to purchase in order to succeed with the original product, there is absolutely nothing wrong with upsells. In fact, they're good business if done correctly.

    I imagine that a large majority of people criticizing upsells (that are done PROPERLY) do not make money creating and selling their own products. Otherwise, they would know better.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9980036].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JensSteyaert
    I assume you're annoyed by the fact that you don't know there's an upsell right?

    Well, just check the products JV page, you'll find the entire funnel there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9980054].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Nightengale
      This is one of the most absurd posts I've ever seen. You need a different perspective -- badly.

      As others have said, an upsell or downsell completes or complements the product or service just bought. "Would you like fries with that?"

      Marketers have become jaded not only from seeing this stuff ALL the time, but also from seeing it executed badly. So no wonder if leaves a bad taste in your mouth!

      But that doesn't invalidate this fundamental marketing principle. Upselling and downselling is simply GOOD BUSINESS. And when done right, it really DOES serve the customer. No, they don't have to buy and they shouldn't be pressured. But when you make a well-done and well-timed upsell recommendation, you offer your customers OPTIONS. And everyone loves to have options.

      Then let THEM decide.

      Think of offering the option of a luscious wine or savory dessert in an upscale restaurant. Are you going to angrily storm out of the restaurant because they offered you a wine or dessert with your meal? Of course not.

      So as a customer, such upsell recommendations ARE of service to you as the customer (when done well). And as a business owner, it's just good business because someone who has made a purchase from us is FIVE TIMES more likely to buy from us again (assuming they've had a good experience with us in the first place).

      The key here is not to get angry about upsells. The key is to get out of your own head, get OFF the WF, get OUT of the IM world and go study REAL businesses.

      And if you don't want/like an upsell offer, don't take it. It's that simple.

      But if you refund a purchase strictly because someone offered you an upsell, you deserve to be banned as a customer for your pain in neck factor. You've just cost that business time and money for no reason. Refunding simply because someone offered you an upsell is STEALING.

      The rest of the people in this thread have offered you good advice and a different perspective. Definitely consider it.

      Michelle
      Signature
      "You can't market here. This is a marketing discussion forum!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9980082].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DoubleOhDave
      Originally Posted by JensSteyaert View Post

      I assume you're annoyed by the fact that you don't know there's an upsell right?

      Well, just check the products JV page, you'll find the entire funnel there.
      Have to agree with that - I have often actually bought using that tactic - but have also quite often bought by checking out what the DOWNSELL is. There's been a few times when I have picked up some nice stuff cos I knew to click off the page and get offered it
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9980448].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wasa1
    It is easy to say no to up-sells, just say no thanks and proceed to the product you purchased.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9980098].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    Originally Posted by ahutton View Post

    I would like to see UPSELLS eliminated, wouldn't you?

    If your product is worth $67, then say it costs $67.00 Don't make us think it's only $18.97 and then tell us that we really won't be able to do much with it unless we hand over another, larger chunk of cash,

    From now on when I run across an upsell I think I'm going to ask for a refund. Even if the product would be useful.

    It's bad business. I mean if I go to the store for a new pair of jeans and I go to the counter to pay the $46 on the price tag, and the cashier says "Do you want a zipper with those pants? If so, that's another $27" I'm gonna be pissed. It's false advertising.

    It simply isn't fair to the purchaser. If the product is worth $67, and there is no upsell, I'm gonna buy it.

    Upsells are insulting and don't make for good customer relations. They are a trick. Who likes being tricked?

    Aren't we above that? What are we? Mice being led to a moustrap?Tell your audience the real price . Aren't we adult enough to be able to say,"Heck yeah! That's worth $67?"
    Are you here at WF because you are a Buyer or a Seller ?

    Just curious ?

    Seems like you are a Buyer so you may want to be going to other Forums that can better accommodate you.

    Last time I checked this was a Forum for Marketers who Sell. And Upsells are a big part of that


    - Robert Andrew
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9980111].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chaotic squid
    I don't have a problem with upsells themselves, I get it, it makes sense to try to maximize the sale and offer more value to someone who still has their credit card handy.

    However, my problem with a lot of marketers who do upsells is that after they sell you a program, ebook, system, etc.. they claim that what they just sold you is only "part of it."

    Imagine you buy an ebook marketed as the 10 steps to make money online. Then after you buy it there's an upsell for a few extra dollars to get a "secret 11th step" and then they claim that the 11th step is vital to "really knock it out of the park." When in-fact the 11th step should have been included in the original purchase.

    It's almost like ordering a burger and just getting the meat, and then the bun is "extra." Because to enjoy the full experience you have to pay extra for something that should have been included in the original purchase.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9980117].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author anwiii
    upselling is just good marketing. i think i understand what the op was trying to say though and i agree 100%. some of the sales threads on this forum are intimating one thing so a buyer thinks they are getting what was in the sales thread later to find out they also have to purchase the upsell to make the system complete. some of the sales letters are deceiving. the only conclusion i can make from it is that those threads are run by crooks. sure, they can offer a refund and most do refund but it's a waste of everyone's time and energy while filling the pockets of the crooks. some people wont ask for a refund even when they feel scammed and will just go ahead and purchase the upsell. it's a shame. this is the real world though and it happens. the best way to counter is to report the thread and make a good case for a moderator or and administrator to review. it's not just the mods and admins that run this forum, it can and should be run by the members as well.

    i appreciate this thread because it's a good way to make people aware and start cleaning shit up around here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9980125].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author copywriterco
    UPSELLS are good if the purpose is complimenting the main product or giving enhancement. But if this UPSELL is needed in order for a certain product to be complete and functional, that's no good at all!
    Signature

    Get Your Free Copywriting Guide at Copy-Writer.co

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9980423].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CurtisSWN
    Don't knock 'em, join 'em ;-)
    Signature
    Simple Two Step Formula
    Earns Me Over $146.72 in 12 Hours. This is Weird, But it Works!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9981453].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Nightengale
      I notice Amy hasn't come back to comment on this thread even once since she started it.

      Makes you wonder why we even bother to reply or help. Or maybe she just didn't appreciate the feedback she got?

      Michelle
      Signature
      "You can't market here. This is a marketing discussion forum!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9981876].message }}
      • Unless they state in their thread otherwise I assume there's an upsell
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9981892].message }}
      • Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post

        I notice Amy hasn't come back to comment on this thread even once since she started it.
        Amy is stuck in an upsell funnel and can't get out!
        Signature
        Arnold Stolting - Stolting Media Group
        "I LOVE The Song! The Vibe Is Positive And Firm!" - Kymani Marley. (Son of Bob Marley)
        "Keep Up The Good Work!" Tony Lindsay - Lead Vocalist, Carlos Santana.

        "Very High Quality!" Jeremy Harding - Manager / Producer. Sean Paul.
        "They Are FANTASTIC!" - Willie Crawford.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9984702].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author themichaelcook
    There has been some great advice given here...

    I am a product creator, but haven't launched any WSO'S(yet).. But as many stated upsells are good business if done right...

    When I create a product, I make sure the main product is complete and I'll offer a special offer that compliments the main training (not completes it) so the buyer can get even more education about a particular subject.

    But I have to agree with Michelle.. To buy a product and to refund it just because it has an upsell is not only stealing, but unethical.

    I bet if you were a seller your mindset would be a lot different...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9981921].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brutecky
    Most upsells add additional functionality, or additional use, or additional service.. here is the thing .. more costs more. There is nothing wrong with upsells. If you want more, you should by rights expect to pay more .. if you dont want them, just click "No Thanks" or close the web page and wait for your order email from the front end purchase.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9981982].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gluckspilz
    Some people clearly don't know what an "up-sell" is...

    For starters, a proper upsell is not necessary at all. If anything, it should further benefit the customers.
    I don't see the fuss about it. Don't like it? Just don't buy it! Look at Amazon, look at eBay, look at any BIG eCommerce business. Look at restaurants, look at gyms etc etc etc!

    If I created a "Quality eBook" and created a "Comprehensive video training series" and also have a coaching program. I guess if upsells are considered "bad business", the only way for me to sell my service is to bundle them ALL INTO ONE and sell it at one price and probably make no money.
    Signature

    Want To Learn Affiliate Marketing The Right Way?
    Click Here To Get Free Access To Our Free Course!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9981983].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gwriter
    if you don't like upsells you have no business being in business, especially as a marketer. Anyone who agrees it's clear to see why your broke and struggling
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9981989].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author heavysm
    Originally Posted by ahutton View Post

    Upsells are insulting and don't make for good customer relations. They are a trick. Who likes being tricked?

    Aren't we above that? What are we? Mice being led to a moustrap?Tell your audience the real price . Aren't we adult enough to be able to say,"Heck yeah! That's worth $67?"
    Lol upsells happen in every market/industry. They're not going away because it's an incredibly effective marketing strategy that flat out works.

    When you sign up for a cell phone plan whilst getting a new phone your assistant will show you over to their display cell phone accessories. Is that because they look pretty and they want you to admire their beauty? No, they're an upsell as a complimentary product to get more money from you.

    The most common example is fast food, asking you to buy either a drink or fries or whatever else. A burger is complete itself, but it would be nice to add on a complimentary expansion to that: fries and a drink, don't you think?

    Originally Posted by ahutton View Post


    If your product is worth $67, then say it costs $67.00 Don't make us think it's only $18.97 and then tell us that we really won't be able to do much with it unless we hand over another, larger chunk of cash,

    From now on when I run across an upsell I think I'm going to ask for a refund. Even if the product would be useful.
    I have a feeling you're talking about some hyped up MMO products. Some of those products are NOT an accurate sample of how upsells work (some upsells in MMO, admittedly, present themselves poorly). But there are many products in this particular market which correctly use the upsell, and many do so with tremendous success.

    Once you put on an actual marketing business cap you'll come to realize the proper function of a sales funnel; upsells down-sells and all. Then things should start to click for you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9982014].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seobro
    Hi Amy Hutton:

    Basically, you say.

    I would like to see UPSELLS eliminated, wouldn't you?
    Well, we agree.

    I have been here for over nine years. I have bought a lot of WSO reports in that time, and here is what I see.

    Frankly, what I see is an WSO selling for $7, always seven.

    It is a worthless list of links - to me any way.

    Then it helps promote a $57 report that is suppose to contain all the secret magic.

    However, that $57 report is simply a long ad for a $700 course.

    When I confront the seller he says - I have to make some money. What do you want for $7 any way?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9984003].message }}
    • Originally Posted by ahutton View Post

      I would like to see UPSELLS eliminated, wouldn't you?
      Originally Posted by ChrisBa

      I hate them
      Originally Posted by curiozities

      I have to admit I don't like them
      Originally Posted by Importexport

      I have never done any upselling when marketing my eBook
      Originally Posted by GlenH

      I promote the fact that I don't, and never have, offered upsells, down sells (or any other type of 'sells')
      Originally Posted by SeoBro

      We agree.
      Whatever happened to this forum?!?!

      This used to be a MARKETING forum, not a newbie-driven WSO-buying forum. How can anyone possibly bitch about upsells/downsells in a MARKETING forum?!?! It's like bitching about eggs or yeast in a baking forum!

      Many people in this thread have no business being in business...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9984053].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jennifer Hutson
      Originally Posted by seobro View Post

      Hi Amy Hutton:

      Basically, you say.



      Well, we agree.

      I have been here for over nine years. I have bought a lot of WSO reports in that time, and here is what I see.

      Frankly, what I see is an WSO selling for $7, always seven.

      It is a worthless list of links - to me any way.

      Then it helps promote a $57 report that is suppose to contain all the secret magic.

      However, that $57 report is simply a long ad for a $700 course.

      When I confront the seller he says - I have to make some money. What do you want for $7 any way?
      If you've been on this forum since 2004, are still buying informational WSOs and can't tell the different between a scammy product and the real deal - in 10 years - then you have bigger problems.

      Many products do not utilize a deceptive funnel like the example you used. Some marketers do sell like that and they are sleazeballs. But the rest don't. Surely you've also seen your fair share of products that were upsold the right way, if you've purchased as many WSOs as you say you have.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9985433].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Megan Cooper
    It's a great sales tactic for the seller. What better way to get more money from you then to tell you the product you just bought also needs "this" for x amount of more dollars. It's one of those "you're missing out if you don't get this" trick. As a buyer, they do totally suck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9984081].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author agmccall
    The only upsell that ticks me off is one that is needed to make the main product work. These are few and far between, but they do pop up now and then

    al
    Signature

    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me?
    ~Jack Handey~

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9984111].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      I notice Amy hasn't come back to comment on this thread even once
      Hasn't logged in since the day she started the thread - but this is typical for rant-type threads. Also typical is three days from now other people will still be answering.
      Signature
      Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9984127].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        Also typical is three months from now other people will still be answering.
        Morning Kay,

        Fixed that for you. As you know, 'years' would have been almost as applicable.

        Cheers. - Frank
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9984303].message }}
  • Originally Posted by ahutton View Post

    I would like to see UPSELLS eliminated, wouldn't you?

    If your product is worth $67, then say it costs $67.00 Don't make us think it's only $18.97 and then tell us that we really won't be able to do much with it unless we hand over another, larger chunk of cash,

    From now on when I run across an upsell I think I'm going to ask for a refund. Even if the product would be useful.

    It's bad business. I mean if I go to the store for a new pair of jeans and I go to the counter to pay the $46 on the price tag, and the cashier says "Do you want a zipper with those pants? If so, that's another $27" I'm gonna be pissed. It's false advertising.

    It simply isn't fair to the purchaser. If the product is worth $67, and there is no upsell, I'm gonna buy it.

    Upsells are insulting and don't make for good customer relations. They are a trick. Who likes being tricked?

    Aren't we above that? What are we? Mice being led to a moustrap?Tell your audience the real price . Aren't we adult enough to be able to say,"Heck yeah! That's worth $67?"
    You not going to make a full time living from home only selling $18.97 products online.
    Upsells are designed to compliment the front end products in your sales funnel, and offer way more value and transformation from that product.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9984299].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    Originally Posted by ahutton View Post

    I would like to see UPSELLS eliminated, wouldn't you?
    From the affiliate and product owner's point of view, these upsells are great. Instead of just making $20-$50 commission, you can bank as much as $200-$4000 or more into your pocket without any extra effort.

    If you go to a coffee shop and you order a coffee, some of these places ask you if you want a donut with it.

    Almost everyone are using these techniques to make more money per customer.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9984312].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve B
      "No matter how thin you make the batter, a pancake always has two sides."

      There will always be folks for and against this strategy.

      But sorry folks, UPSELLS are here to stay because they can (not always) help the vendor sell more to the same customer who is "hot to buy" right now!

      But let me give you hint if you use the technique . . .

      Don't create upsells that tick buyers off! There are several things you do that can cause buyer anger:
      • Offer too many upsells right in a row which forces unwilling buyers to spend more time than they want in getting to their intended purchase (five upsells in a row is the most I've personally witnessed and it was horrible!)
      • Offer long sales videos that must play through before the buyer can get the product - causing another form of wasted time
      • Make it seem like your product can't be 100% useable without the upsell - whether that's actually the case or not
      • Being sneaky or secretive about the fact that there is one or more upsells - tricks and deceptions have no place in marketing - if someone asks you about upsells be transparent about it and tell them the truth
      • Make it seem like the upsell is the main product or most important part of the purchase. Let's face it, if you sell a once-in-a-lifetime product for $4.97 and then you follow up with a $39.97 "must have upgrade" it will cause the buyer to question the utility of the original product and the credibility of your marketing - don't do it that way
      No one likes to be "hoodwinked" and that's what you'll be perceived as doing if you employ questionable upsell tactics. In other words, don't make the upsell like sitting through a 90 minute sales presentation in order to get a night's stay at the resort.

      Steve
      Signature

      Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
      SteveBrowneDirect

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9984358].message }}
  • Agreed, but at the same time it gives everyone a chance to pay a small price...

    To see some value, instead of immediately committing to big pricetags
    Signature

    [CENTER][B]==> Do you want to make money online? [/B]
    Free video: How regular people are making 6-figures per month on the internet! [URL="http://www.clkmg.com/fc27/UDCL-IN2WF"][B]Watch this free video now![/B][/URL] <==[/CENTER]

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9984686].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RecessionPROOF
    Agreed,

    It is now so common, I don't even look at loss leader bait and switch deals any longer, so given this thread demonstrates that upsells suck, maybe these guru's who hype their deals to death will get the message. If you have something of value, something everyone needs and wants to save money by purchasing, then you don't need upsells off of a lowball bait and switch offer which is the typical these days as they try to suck every last dollar from everyone.

    Success to all,
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9984705].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BeyondContentNY
      Most of you are confusing cross-selling with up-selling. Up-selling involves trying to convince the customer to upgrade to the better product. Cross-selling involves selling something in addition to what the customer is buying.

      If you, as a customer, are frustrated by the cross-sell, that likely means that the sales person / web copy is not written in such a way that it sells the benefits of that other product.

      Cross-selling should be beneficial to the customer, and the additional products should be presented as such.

      It sounds to me like you're not necessarily frustrated with cross-selling, but rather poor web copy, and marketers trying to sell you something that offers no benefits (or as mentioned, they aren't getting the benefits across to the prospect).
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9984732].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author skilster
    I hate them they are a "bait and switch" tactic! I prefer there is a disclaimer stating the presence of the OTO, Upsells or downsells so that you know from the onset what you are getting into. Many times I find myself unable to follow through because the investment is not enough so the product ends up being incomplete as it cannot work without the upsells or one time offers. Pretty annoying to say the least.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10039544].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NetMan
      Originally Posted by skilster View Post

      I hate them they are a "bait and switch" tactic! I prefer there is a disclaimer stating the presence of the OTO, Upsells or downsells so that you know from the onset what you are getting into. Many times I find myself unable to follow through because the investment is not enough so the product ends up being incomplete as it cannot work without the upsells or one time offers. Pretty annoying to say the least.
      Here we go, one month later since the last reply we finally have here the great "wisdom of marketing knowledge" from someone who obviously hasn't read this whole thread at all, and clearly, and joyfully, shows full ignorance about the subject, instead of being educated by this actual thread.

      Please, o' please great marketing mind, I'm curious can you cite ONLY ONE product where, as you say, you've been driven through a "bait and switch tactic" from the seller? I'm not talking about where you've been offered OTO or Upsell, if ever you can make the difference, no, I'm talking about what YOU call a "bait and switch tactic".
      Signature
      **GET...** Cash Magic Funnels @ 80% OFF | PM me for the Coupon! Available for a VERY SHORT TIME ONLY!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10040028].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lerxtjr
    Reminds me of a heated discussion over opt-in pop-ups. No matter what you do, you're not going to make everyone happy. So, why not just do what works?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10039564].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author unifiedac
    Originally Posted by ahutton View Post

    If your product is worth $67, then say it costs $67.00 Don't make us think it's only $18.97 and then tell us that we really won't be able to do much with it unless we hand over another, larger chunk of cash,
    I understand what you're saying, each product (the original and the upsell) should be able to stand on its own.

    But not all marketers use upsells like this. An upsell is most effective when it complements the product you just bought. If you just purchased an eBook that teaches you how to make money flipping stray cats, a great upsell may be a listing of 10,000 U.S. animal shelters. Of course, you could find the phone numbers of animal shelters yourself, but the upsell has immediate value for you. It complements the original product, but it's not necessary to achieve the goals set forth in it.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10040326].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by ahutton View Post

    I would like to see deceptive UPSELLS eliminated, wouldn't you?

    BAD Upsells are insulting and don't make for good customer relations. They are a trick. Who likes being tricked?

    Aren't we above that? What are we? Mice being led to a moustrap?Tell your audience the real price . Aren't we adult enough to be able to say,"Heck yeah! That's worth $67?"
    Now the post makes more sense...

    Amy simply never learned the difference between "marketing" and "swindling", nor between "marketing" and "bad marketing"...

    At least if she ever does come back, she'll find some reasonable replies instead of the name calling I think she may have been looking for.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10040365].message }}
  • When I sell I don't do the upsells, but it's stupid not to upsell if you want to make more money YOU SHOULD UPSELL!
    Signature
    soon people... Relax...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10040704].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RecessionPROOF
      Upselling is so common, who really cares unless you are using this marketing tactic yourself, Some will like it, some won't, some will use it, some won't, doesn't it always come down to value in the end? Whenever I am evaluating an offer, I simply expect to be upsold and I always close site if I am interested to watch for the come back, please stay on page for special discount, and often times there are more than one down sells these days. lol

      Success to all,
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10042903].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WarGun
    Up sells are a part of life!!!
    Every ate at a fast food restaurant?
    They always ask you if you want to upsize your drink/ fries.
    It's a big part of selling. If you don't want to offer up sells that's
    fine but don't criticize others for doing it.
    Signature
    Adrian Sizer
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10043239].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seobro
    As much as I hate them, it unfortunately works for the sellers so I don't see them going away anytime soon
    I do not agree.

    Lemon laws help customers fight used car sales men.

    What we need is to stop the up sells by kicking abusers out of our forum perm.

    Please understand that I have bought many $7 reports that are nothing more than advertising for an expensive course.

    Fact is, if I pay money... well, I expect to get a product or a service.

    Best practices are to not rip off consumers. Otherwise, government will begin to regulate us.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10043255].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lance K
    Here's the deal with upsells. A certain % of your buyers are going to be in the zone and want more than your base product. If you don't offer it to them, they'll find someone else who will. Your competitors will thank you.

    As for the people who are annoyed by upsells, you're too easily annoyed if clicking a "No thanks, take me to my product/download" link is that big of an inconvenience. Maybe you'll get lucky and the next funnel you're in will have a cross sell or down sell for a meditation or personal development product. Just set your disgust aside and buy it.
    Signature
    "You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want."
    ~ Zig Ziglar
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10043553].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by Lance K View Post

      Here's the deal with upsells. A certain % of your buyers are going to be in the zone and want more than your base product. If you don't offer it to them, they'll find someone else who will. Your competitors will thank you.

      As for the people who are annoyed by upsells, you're too easily annoyed if clicking a "No thanks, take me to my product/download" link is that big of an inconvenience. Maybe you'll get lucky and the next funnel you're in will have a cross sell or down sell for a meditation or personal development product. Just set your disgust aside and buy it.
      Lance, I know you're a smart cookie, so maybe you just missed a few posts in the thread. Seems like most people aren't really upset with standard add-ons. What they are (and I am) sick of is people peddling incomplete products and concealing the fact until after the initial sale. As I said in my post above, that's not an "upsell", it's a swindle.

      As for the condescending snark in your second paragraph, well, I guess we all have days like that. Maybe you need to make the same buy if people complaining in a thread you're free to ignore bugs you that much...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044910].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Lance K
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        Lance, I know you're a smart cookie, so maybe you just missed a few posts in the thread. Seems like most people aren't really upset with standard add-ons. What they are (and I am) sick of is people peddling incomplete products and concealing the fact until after the initial sale. As I said in my post above, that's not an "upsell", it's a swindle.

        As for the condescending snark in your second paragraph, well, I guess we all have days like that. Maybe you need to make the same buy if people complaining in a thread you're free to ignore bugs you that much...

        A little snarky? Yes. Bugged? Not really. More surprised than anything I guess.

        This is a marketing forum and the OP wants to eliminate a proven, useful marketing technique?

        I hear what you're saying about a potential difference in what the OP said and what they meant. But they did say they would abandon any offer they encounter in the future that has any upsells.

        While that's certainly their right, that's not going to address the real issue. Using upsells correctly rather than haphazardly as a pure money suck. Now if they want to discuss that rather than call for the elimination of all upsells, that could be a productive conversation.
        Signature
        "You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want."
        ~ Zig Ziglar
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10045202].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joaquinaleman
    Banned
    Originally Posted by ahutton View Post

    I would like to see UPSELLS eliminated, wouldn't you?

    If your product is worth $67, then say it costs $67.00 Don't make us think it's only $18.97 and then tell us that we really won't be able to do much with it unless we hand over another, larger chunk of cash,

    From now on when I run across an upsell I think I'm going to ask for a refund. Even if the product would be useful.

    It's bad business. I mean if I go to the store for a new pair of jeans and I go to the counter to pay the $46 on the price tag, and the cashier says "Do you want a zipper with those pants? If so, that's another $27" I'm gonna be pissed. It's false advertising.

    It simply isn't fair to the purchaser. If the product is worth $67, and there is no upsell, I'm gonna buy it.

    Upsells are insulting and don't make for good customer relations. They are a trick. Who likes being tricked?

    Aren't we above that? What are we? Mice being led to a moustrap?Tell your audience the real price . Aren't we adult enough to be able to say,"Heck yeah! That's worth $67?"
    People are interested in getting buyers fast! for that reason they offer low entry products in most of the case.

    I undestand your opinion like a buyer, but if upsells are still converting why to close them?

    every company in the world use upsell and internet marketing run the same way
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10045328].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Slade556
    Unfortunately, upsells won't ever disappear, not tomorrow, not 10 years from now, not ever! I agree they're annoying and tricky, but as long as people accept this kind of deal, sellers will keep doing it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10045379].message }}

Trending Topics