The goal is to get people to visit my link, so I've been doing it this way, using Twitter:
- Create a Tweet with your message and link.
- Include a hashtag that is related to your niche - check out hashtags.org for suitable ones. Don't use more than a couple, but make sure the hashtags you're using get loads of traffic.
- The challenge now is to get the Tweet to rank. I've tried buying retweets and favorites but they have to happen at the same time. Or, for free traffic...
- You can use a traffic exchange like AddMeFast where you can build up credits by clicking on other people's tweets, or viewing YouTube videos etc. Once you have enough credits, go for a big surge of views and favorites - several hundred of each.
- If this works, then your tweet starts to get views and you'll be getting traffic really quickly.
- This isn't great for sustained traffic, but it really does seem to bring a big spike, which can be helpful, depending on what you're doing.
- VARIATION: you could use a really popular hastag that's trending, and then you will get loads more traffic - potentially site-busting, but the issue is probably that it won't convert as well, so while it's great for clicks, it's not so great for sales.
This isn't going to be for everyone, and it's not the answer to every traffic problem but I think it works and has its place as a way of getting reasonably targeted traffic.
Anyone else care to share their cool traffic tricks?