Why Am I A LOSER Who Needs To Get A "REAL JOB"

154 replies
When people ask me what I do for a living and I tell them that I do IM and freelancing I get looked at like I am a complete loser. It seems like if you don't do everything according to the way everyone else does then you are a loser.

So what is a loser then? The more I look around the more I see that the people who get called losers are usually just people who dare to be different. If you dare to aim high, if you dare to be anything besides mediocre. I noticed your a loser whenever you don't do what other people want you to do.

Don't want to get married=loser

even though the divorce rate is more then 50% in America

Don't want to get a real job=loser

Even though people are getting laid off every day and those that aren't are constantly in fear of getting laid off.

It seems like people throw this tag at me only when I refuse to give into their demands of what they feel I should be doing. The people who are so called losers are usually people who want more then what society says they can have, they don't follow the herd, the are seen as weird.
I am beginning to believe that being a so called "Loser" is a good thing.

Has anyone else ever been called a loser and told to get a REAL JOB?
#loser #real job
  • Profile picture of the author Jesus Perez
    It's called jealousy. People are envious of your ability to earn money from home. They'll never admit it, though.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009377].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JAIDEEP2959
      My relatives also consider me as loser.

      Though I am making money, they consider internet marketing very risky.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009387].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author homebasedmom
      Originally Posted by BlueSquares View Post

      It's called jealousy. People are envious of your ability to earn money from home. They'll never admit it, though.
      Yeah, I agree to that. People may seem curios and find it hard to believe that you can make money by staying at home and not finding a real job. :p

      They sometimes say "That's ridiculous?!", "That's not true." "Do you believe in that?". Stuffs like that.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1017337].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marian Berghes
    I am getting those lines almost on a daily basis from people here...alot of the:

    "When they started you could make money, but now you can't so go get a real job"

    or

    "all that internet stuff is just a scam, go get a real job, stop dreaming"

    you just have to protect yourself from them, if you want to make it big you can't hang around negative people...I learned that countless times, and every sucessful people can tell you that.

    EDIT: risky? and a job is safe?

    any marketer would agree with that old direct mail expert who said: "you can take everything from me, just leave me my customer list and I will rebuild it all over again"...

    so even if google slaps you, review blogs go down and all the stuff that people are worried about now...if you just have an email list of customers/prospects you can build it again.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009395].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Diana Lane
    I've often been looked at with cockled expressions when I've said I do IM, but no one's ever called me a loser because of it. I think you might be hanging round with the wrong people. There's far better company out there.
    Signature

    Plot short fiction, long fiction, even outline non-fiction * Edit the question prompts to suit your genre * Easily export text and image files for use with your word processor or Scrivener.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009402].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Hamish Jones
    It really is hard to explain what you do for a living when you earn money online.
    Signature
    Best Business Deals - The World's Most Customer Focused Telecommunications Company. Servicing Customers in Australia, Canada and the USA.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009407].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rezbi
    Originally Posted by pheonix44 View Post

    Warriors It's not easy being me.
    Of, purlease, is this a sympathy thread?

    When you start off a post with these types of words what do you expect?

    Ignore them and get over it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009409].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
      Of, purlease, is this a sympathy thread?

      When you start off a post with these types of words what do you expect?

      Ignore them and get over it.
      Not really a sympathy thread, just want to know how other people handle it. Sometimes ignoring them is not easy. Because Ignoring them would pretty much mean isolating yourself to the point where you are alone. In my city it is hard to find people who have a clue about IM, my only avenue to relate to people who do what I do is this forum. But I see what you mean, I will delete that part of my thread because I don't want sympathy.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009447].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
        People are like crabs in a bucket; as soon as one tries to escape, the other crabs pull it back in. Same with humans; as soon as you start to succeed at something, others will try to pull you down to their level.
        My own sister referred to me as a "get rich quick Junkie" they believe this is all a scam and don't take me seriously. Five minutes later she asked me to borrow 50.00$
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009465].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author liza31n
          I don't prefer it as a loser because it's too negative to say.There are things that are not meant for us or simply it's not the time to be successful with a specific task.In time you will make it,i'm sure.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009477].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author ExRat
            Hi Phoenix44,

            The more I look around the more I see that the people who get called losers are usually just people who dare to be different. If you dare to aim high, if you dare to be anything besides mediocre. I noticed your a loser whenever you don't do what other people want you to do.

            Don't want to get married=loser

            even though the divorce rate is more then 50% in America

            Don't want to get a real job=loser
            If you have the will to succeed you should also have the will to laugh at them.
            Signature


            Roger Davis

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009495].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
              If you have the will to succeed you should also have the will to laugh at them
              I laugh all the time, I just get tired of having to answer a million questions from people who just don't get it. It is just so out of the norm where I live. I attempted to start a mastermind group a few months back, but the people would always flake. I come here because people understand. In little old milwaukee if you don't punch a time clock or own a brick and mortar business that you go to everyday people feel you're just screwing around.

              By the way, I love reading your post Exrat.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009543].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Robyn8243
              Huge generalization, but there are two types of people:

              Those with an employee mentality and those with a business mentality.

              Most of us here have a business mentality, and cannot imagine how anyone
              could work at a job with a boss their entire lives. Don't we think on some
              level that these people are foolish and crazy?

              Why be surprised that people with an employee mentality think that we are
              crazy and foolish?

              The main difference is that people with a business mentality don't feel the need
              to conform, and don't feel the need to put down people who are different from
              us.

              Don't let it get to you...and spend as much time as you can with other
              positive people.

              Only a true loser would tell anyone else that they are a loser, simply because
              they choose to follow a different path.

              I always find it ironic that the same people who love to bash people for being different
              and willing to take risks, are usually the ones who idolize celebrities (regardless of whether their celebrity comes from music, sports, film, business or politics). Almost all celebrities and everyone who has accomplished something great, at one point in time were told that their aspirations were unrealistic and foolish.

              Robyn
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009578].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andy Fletcher
    Nobody ever calls you a loser when you bank your first million.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009418].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Raybould
    People like that just drag you down.

    Ignore them.

    Truth is, they're afraid of you.

    They're afraid that you'll succeed. And if you succeed, they'll have to
    admit to themselves that you're superior to them, because they
    probably never succeeded at anything.

    Except getting a job.

    And they never succeeded at anything else because they were
    too scared to try.

    So really, it's a compliment. When they call you a loser, they're
    really calling themselves a loser, and they're secretly impressed
    with you because you have courage that they don't.

    @ssholes.

    -David Raybould
    Signature
    Killer Emails. Cash-spewing VSLs. Turbocharged Landing Pages.

    Whatever you need, my high converting copy puts more money in your pocket. PM for details. 10 years experience and 9 figure revenues.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009428].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author greentorch
    People are like crabs in a bucket; as soon as one tries to escape, the other crabs pull it back in. Same with humans; as soon as you start to succeed at something, others will try to pull you down to their level.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009433].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Danny Cutts
    Ha Ha my parents told me that I would never make any money online and that i was wasting my time... I am now travelling the world and I can tell they get pig sick when they have to pay affiliate cheques into the bank every week....lol

    People laughed at me they do know in fact but I dont care I am living the dream at the moment

    Chin up fella

    Danny
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009438].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wwesley
    well anything out of the norm, people will be skeptical, however, whatever they think should not get you down, it is your life and it is up to you how you want to live it. As long as you are getting the results, the rest should not matter at all
    Signature

    Looking For People to Promote A Free Diet Program In Singapore. $20 per qualified Lead. Pm Me For Details.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009446].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rezbi
    Am I the only one who has full support from every member of my family?

    Surely not?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009535].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Robyn8243
      Originally Posted by Rezbi View Post

      Am I the only one who has full support from every member of my family?

      Surely not?
      I am sure you are not completely alone, but sadly you are in the minority.

      Be grateful for that...it is a huge blessing.

      Robyn
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009594].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author melanied
      No, I not only have the support of my family, my Mom and Sister asked me to teach them to do what I do, and now they have online incomes, as well.

      BUT - on the topic of the original post. It is hard for people to understand what we do. That's why, at parties, etc, I generally either say I work in promotions or that I'm a writer, depending on the crowd.

      Originally Posted by Rezbi View Post

      Am I the only one who has full support from every member of my family?

      Surely not?
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009635].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
        Most people think a "job" is the right thing to do. Period.

        If you don't have a "job" then you're a loser, a crook, or whatever
        .

        This is the way I am made to feel sometimes, I just ignore it but sometimes it does get me a little down. I started doing this back when I lost my job in february, now I make twice as much as I did. Even the people in the offline world who you think would get it still don't. In their minds if they are not able to brag to people about what you do they see no value in it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009671].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JoelMatthews
      Originally Posted by Rezbi View Post

      Am I the only one who has full support from every member of my family?

      Surely not?
      Not the only one It's good right, just my 'friends' think I'm crazy lol
      Signature
      Stop Spinning Your Wheels Trying To Get Started In Internet Marketing.
      Step By Step Guide To Starting Out In Online Marketing. FREE <<
      WANT TO SPEND MORE TIME WITH FAMILY?
      Your Total Wealth Solution.
      My Blog at Joel Matthews
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1016094].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yves
    That's a shame people are treating you like that. I never get that kind of response, just a glazed expression, that's about as bad as it gets.

    Your family are probably just concerned for you because they don't understand that it is a job. after all:

    earning money = a job

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009542].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bev Clement
    I quit trying to please family members. But as far as my online business goes. I say this.

    I run an online business, I am a business consultant or I am a published writer, depending on the person I'm talking to.

    Good exercise is the Bob Proctor lift exercise.

    Imagine you are at the bottom floor of the lift and you have the time it takes to reach the top to tell Bob Proctor what you do. Basically bring it down to 200 words or less. Imagine in that time, you have the opportunity to impress him, and hopefully get him to hire you.

    Try it, and keep at it until you get down to 200 words or less.

    Then use that to explain what you do.

    Say you have a shopping mall, a small version of Walmart, tell them you run an online shop just like Walmart, but it is more personal because you are running it yourself.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009557].message }}
  • My wife left me because I was a "loser" who couldn't get a "real job." It just made me all the more determined, and now I'm taking cash to the bank. Within a year, I'll be making twice as much as I ever did at a job.

    You're right, people don't like people who are different. Funny thing is, it's the people who are different who make all progress. It took guts when the first caveman -- let's call him Ugga -- captured fire, and I bet the other cavemen thought he was crazy. For hundreds of years after he died, Ugga was a legend.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009563].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ldimilo
    It is most likely that they don't understand what you do and if they don't understand it, then they are very likely to be critical and apprehensive of it.

    Personally, I am usually very vague in regards to what I do. Someone asks and I say I do computer stuff...no one questions that and for whatever reason "computer stuff" doesn't raise any eyebrows.

    It also doesn't exactly pique interest either though......
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009588].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Don Schenk
    I'm a little unusual because I have always been self-employed, doing a variety of things starting when I was a young teenager. That was 48 years ago.

    During the years since, I've never written a resume for myself nor filled out a job application, and I've always been the one hiring others. Do others think I'm weird? Maybe.

    People who "have to have a job" just don't get it. They can be quite envious, but they won't go start a business for themselves. They lack the self-confidence and have too much fear to go out on their own.

    Fortunately for us there are such people, we call them employees.

    :-Don
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009593].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Willer
    Most people think a "job" is the right thing to do. Period.

    If you don't have a "job" then you're a loser, a crook, or whatever.

    I know of one guy who has made untold millions in his twenties and his grandmother still told him he should have a job to fall back on.
    Signature
    My Loss Is Your opportunity
    (80% off for 10 smart people)

    Click Here To Find Out Why...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009598].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ivana
    It is interesting isn't it. I make more money than most people in the country I live in currently, and others are telling me to get a job. WHY should I? Because for them what I do is not work, but being stuck at the dead end job is the work...WHY? My Dad once said, you have robots and bio robots. Bio robots are willing to look side ways and try new and different things, robots do the manual labor such as look straight, go to 1 hour commute, get to work at 8, get of work at 5, drive home again 1 hour and then they repeat it the next day!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009610].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author charlesburke
    Truth is, you don't really live in their world anymore, and vice versa. So you'll need to use language they can understand. Forget the "IM" talk. Just tell 'em you're a commission salesman. If it's affiliate stuff you do, then that's close enough.

    And if they seem even a little bit interested, you might even add that you do your prospecting via the Internet. But even that may be too much information. In any case, always, always speak their language, not yours if you want to be understood.

    In my case, I just tell people I'm retired, and they accept that as the reason I'm at home all day and have lots of time. I repeat - use their language, not your own. Sure makes communicating easier.

    Cheers from warm and smiling Thailand,
    Charles
    Signature
    MisterEbook.com
    Special offer for all Warrior authors... MisterEbook.com/warriorsonly.html
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009611].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Richard Tunnah
    Originally Posted by pheonix44 View Post

    When people ask me what I do for a living and I tell them that I do IM and freelancing I get looked at like I am a complete loser. It seems like if you don't do everything according to the way everyone else does then you are a loser.

    So what is a loser then? The more I look around the more I see that the people who get called losers are usually just people who dare to be different. If you dare to aim high, if you dare to be anything besides mediocre. I noticed your a loser whenever you don't do what other people want you to do.

    Don't want to get married=loser

    even though the divorce rate is more then 50% in America

    Don't want to get a real job=loser

    Even though people are getting laid off every day and those that aren't are constantly in fear of getting laid off.

    It seems like people throw this tag at me only when I refuse to give into their demands of what they feel I should be doing. The people who are so called losers are usually people who want more then what society says they can have, they don't follow the herd, the are seen as weird.
    I am beginning to believe that being a so called "Loser" is a good thing.

    Has anyone else ever been called a loser and told to get a REAL JOB?
    Most warriors have probably got grief from family or friends when starting out. I know I did but it changes when they see how well you can do! Also is there many stable 'regular' jobs when most major and local companies are cutting staff more and more each day at the moment? At least I am in control of my future and if I need to work harder at my business to earn a little more than so be it!

    Rich
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009686].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Amber Jalink
    lol - yeah, some use other words than "loser".

    i.e., my business has earned over 2 mill in my time online - (not bragging, just fact) - what's really funny?

    My father (who was self employed most of his life) asks how my "little business" is doing. Drives me bonkers LOL!

    And on the other side of the coin, for 7 of the last 9 years, my hubby has worked with me - online - does occasional outside contracts just because he likes it (network/pc repair) - and my mom asks when HE is going to get a full time REAL job... because apparently my Aunts are constantly hounding her with those same questions.

    My answer:

    let it roll off your back, as on PR expert said at a conference a few years ago, take your hand and physically brush off your shoulder as if brushing them away.

    I think a lot of it is "old school" - even with people who aren't very old, it's just been that for the last many centuries, people have always had a "job", and those who were self employed were the "rogues".

    So tell them when they say that or imply you're a loser - answer them back, say you're not - you're just a "rogue" by choosing to run your own life
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009705].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Biggy Fat
    "Just go to Publix and ask for a job."

    This is what some teenage chick online told me one day. She told me that I just won't make money online (though I have already). She pissed me off with that, but now that I read this thread I see no reason to be mad. Because when I start banking the cash, I will have proven her wrong. And I can't wait for that day. Remember - screw the naysayers. You can do what you want in life.

    The haters and the naysayers are the losers. You're the winner.

    Oh yeah, and for all the anti-job people like me, here are two articles I like to read every now and then:

    http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/200...ver-get-a-job/ (Older one)
    http://learnfinancialplanning.com/wh...ver-get-a-job/ (Newer one)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009711].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joeman
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009737].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ivana
      Originally Posted by Joeman View Post

      Who cares what people think, do what makes you happy.

      I think I actually (without meaning to) annoy quite a few people. they never see me working, always see me in shorts and T-shirt, often unshaven, looking like a jobless tramp.
      Nobody really knows how i get my money or how i afford to jump in my BMW convertible (with my name on the license plate) and cruise about the neighbourhood in the middle of the day when "i should be at work".

      life's a funny thing, and people are even funnier...
      Well they think they know...You are probably a drug dealer just an FYI ha ha

      Ivana
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009779].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author htmlv2
    There is something to be said for 'FightClub Rules'. I remember one story where somebody was doing something in IM, but somehow the whole thing got taken out of context and they thought he was selling Adult material. Moral of the Story: If they don't need to know don't tell them. I second the other comments about finding better company.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009817].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bagheera101
    I haven't been told these exact words, but members of my family (particularly my older brother, who's studying to be a lawyer) are skeptical of freelance writing as a career. I take it as motivation to try harder.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009823].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Doug
    Most people are going to get that "glazed over look" in their eye as they attempt to understand what we do online. Rather than try to explain how you do things simply ask them if they have ever purchased something online. Envision the conversation this way...
    --
    What do you do?

    Well, have you ever bought something online?

    Yes. Just the other day I found these wonderful weight loss pills. In fact, you might be interested. Would you like the website?

    That is what I do, I sell items online.

    Really! Tell me about that...
    --
    Of course I'm mocking the situation, to a degree. I do understand where the OP is coming from...when we 'dare' to be different that is how people will treat us.

    The key is to first understand people are going to 'think what they think' regardless of you and then second to not fall into the trap of pleasing others according to their thinking.

    Doug
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009837].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tom Brite
    I have a friend who is a typical jelous person.

    He works at a farm as a labourer and works 4am till 1pm then 3pm till 7pm so 13 hours a day! Plus he works 5 days a week (has monday and wednesday off) of which he sometimes even works a morning or afternoon on his day's of so can't plan to do anything too far in advance.

    He also only gets 2 weeks a year off work for holiday and that is still difficult to get!

    However he earns £2000 a month (approx)!

    Then there is me.

    I work when i want and take as much holiday as i like. I always go out with my friends and am always not working on his day's off if we decide to go off somewhere!

    I have worked for 3 days straight (about 6 hours sleep between) and then earnt £2000 that month from those 3 days of work and i still make money from that every now and again!

    Then my average wage per month vary's from £1000 to £10,000 a month depending on what i do. Hence the reason why hes jelous!

    He never see's me working as such and nor do any of my friends as i keep my work seperate from my social life and time spent with them! Plus i mostly work at night when they are all asleep and same for my parents and family.

    So here i am earning 90% of the time more than him and definatly earning more than him per hour i actually work. While he is slaving away everyday just to pay for his car and going out and about.

    However i am also jelous of him as he has a fixed income every month but shortly i will have a more or less fixed income too!

    People always say 'The grass is always greener on the other side' and IM is a very good example of this for people who have normal jobs.

    Tom Brite
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009842].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChadMarano
    Read the 4 Hour Work Week. In that book the author Tim Ferris talks about exactly what you're saying. Once we have the courage to get out of the rat race the world looks totaly different to us. We have options that the "majority" doesn't even know exists.

    If more people had the courage to put their success in their own hands they would see there is no benefit to being a Corporate American Slave.

    Sorry for the rant but I am quite passonite about this.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009862].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
      Just go to Publix and ask for a job."

      This is what some teenage chick online told me one day. She told me that I just won't make money online (though I have already). She pissed me off with that, but now that I read this thread I see no reason to be mad. Because when I start banking the cash, I will have proven her wrong. And I can't wait for that day. Remember - screw the naysayers. You can do what you want in life.

      The haters and the naysayers are the losers. You're the winner.
      I see you are a fan of steve pavlina as well. I read all of his posts. You may also want to check out briankim.net it has many of the same topics as steve pavlina does.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009913].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Freeman77
    I have a "real" job and do IM in my spare time. I yearn for the day when I can count myself among the losers
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009922].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Pnigro
    I actually MAKE FUN of people who call me a loser for what I do.

    They are the ones who regret it afterwards.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009985].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
      actually MAKE FUN of people who call me a loser for what I do.

      They are the ones who regret it afterwards
      I don't really have to make fun of them, I just have a problem when they try to make me believe that their way is the right way and the only way.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1010019].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jeremy Kelsall
        Don't let what people say and think affect you.

        I did...and it cost me $3,200!!

        I was out to dinner with my wife and a group of friends. The plan was that we were going to have some dinner and then hit the local Casino. Anyway, as we are eating, everyone is talking "shop" and I'm not really saying much. They knew I had been working from home, but I really never talk about it much. I hear my Friend Steves wife say to him that they should pay for our dinner - Assuming that I couldn't pay for it because I was "working from home".

        This embarrassed me a little bit. I don't talk about the money I make really - Not even in products that I create. All anyone needs to know is I have a roof over my head and my kids eat, right?

        So, I got up to go to the bathroom and swung by the hostess and picked up the check - Paid for it. When we got to the casino, I handed each and every person $400 cash and paid for all the drinks. This kind of sucked because I had to write a check at the casino for cash and they charged me a hefty fee to do so. I wrote the check for enough money to still have a big knot in my pocket even after giving out the $400 to everyone.

        By the end of the night, they definitely didn't feel "sorry" for me anymore, but I felt "sorry" for myself. I felt like an idiot that not only did I feel like I had to prove myself to my friends, but also that I blew through so much cash to do it.

        Bottom line, As long as you are OK with what you do - Screw everyone else.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1010061].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author bthurman
          If anybody actually thinks there is any security in a "Real Job" they are simply kidding themselves.

          People with "Real Jobs" are simply making someone else rich while those with the courage and drive to seek their own path have a chance to make themselves rich.

          Bob
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1010115].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author ivana
            Originally Posted by bthurman View Post

            If anybody actually thinks there is any security in a "Real Job" they are simply kidding themselves.

            People with "Real Jobs" are simply making someone else rich while those with the courage and drive to seek their own path have a chance to make themselves rich.

            Bob
            You are so right! I was just recently in Sarajevo, and average salary for low paying workers is from 200-350 dollars (per month) if you have $350 you are among better salaries, and the thing is, you can earn more, if you stood at the corner selling popcorn and working 5-6 hours per day, than ever single day for such a low wage! But they would rather be stuck at 12 hours shifts 7 days a week, than try something new!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1010745].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
              I actually am not telling anybody that I'm learning about IM for that exact reason. I know if my family knew I was spending tons of time learning this stuff they'd think I was a nutjob wasting my time on get rich quick scams.
              I think it mostly comes from ignorance. People don't understand it and if they don't understand it, it's not credible (to them). I think some of it is because they can't "see" it: there's no office, no equipment, no employees, no T-shirt with your company name/logo, etc. All you've got is a Web site.

              This is usually the response I get,now imagine being in a classroom full of girls on the first day of school in college, and the professor is asking everyone one by one "so, tell us your name and where you work?"
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1010768].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
          So, I got up to go to the bathroom and swung by the hostess and picked up the check - Paid for it. When we got to the casino, I handed each and every person $400 cash and paid for all the drinks. This kind of sucked because I had to write a check at the casino for cash and they charged me a hefty fee to do so. I wrote the check for enough money to still have a big knot in my pocket even after giving out the $400 to everyone.



          I might have spotted them a 20.00 but not that much, but I have been in similar situations where I felt I had to prove myself because people associate not having a punch the time clock job with being broke.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1010116].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Nightengale
            I haven't read all of the replies here, but this has been discussed before. I think it was in the context of trying to explain what we do to others who just don't get it -- and those who think you're just a slacker for working on the Internet.

            I find it incredibly ironic that people everywhere want to "work from home" but when faced with someone who DOES work from home -- and on the Internet no less -- that people think it's either a scam or that you're a "loser." It just boggles my mind.

            It seems that there's some sort of stereotype in people's minds about self-employed people. I doubt anyone would think that a one-man house-painting service or lawn service would consider that person a "loser." But if you're working at home on the Internet at home, then you're a loser. Ridiculous really.

            I think it mostly comes from ignorance. People don't understand it and if they don't understand it, it's not credible (to them). I think some of it is because they can't "see" it: there's no office, no equipment, no employees, no T-shirt with your company name/logo, etc. All you've got is a Web site.

            And yes, jealousy plays a HUGE role.

            As others have mentioned, you basically have to decide what YOU want to do and stop trying to please everyone else. Do what YOU want to do. That's easier said than done though, especially in the beginning when you haven't even made your first dollar online.

            It seems that's why it's especially important to surround yourself with like-minded people. You might consider attending business networking groups and seminars filled with people who do something similar to what you do. Go to some of the IM seminars. Find a Meet Up group in your area for IMers or start one. Join your local Chamber of Commerce or other local professional association. Surrounding yourself with like-minded people will do WONDERS for your self-esteem.

            I'm extremely fortunate that no one in my family would ever call me a loser for doing IM full time. My father has been self-employed his entire life and he does very well with it. So I've grown up with that self-employed mentality, not an employee mentality. (So it's especially irritating when they mention about how I should never quit my job since I work for such a good company. I really like the company I work for and it IS a great company, but I have no intention of working for them for the rest of my life.)

            Hope that helps!

            Michelle
            Signature
            "You can't market here. This is a marketing discussion forum!"
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1010248].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author DeePower
            If it really bothers you say you're a writer who markets on the Internet.

            Dee
            Signature
            FREE Pump Up Your Profits With PLR
            Are You a Writer? Then you need this FREE guide Convert Your Words to Ca$H Make Money Writing Online
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1010319].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Vikuna2009+
            Funny, I just got an email yesterday from my mom and she said I should forget about making any money online because the only person capable of doing so is Bill Gates !

            No, I have not made anything yet but I am planning to. Once I do, calling me a looser will be just fine :p. Watch out, here I come !
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1012959].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author AidanKay
              Originally Posted by Vikuna2009+ View Post

              Funny, I just got an email yesterday from my mom and she said I should forget about making any money online because the only person capable of doing so is Bill Gates !

              No, I have not made anything yet but I am planning to. Once I do, calling me a looser will be just fine :p. Watch out, here I come !

              Ha! He doesn't even own Microsoft anymore. Not that he doesn't make money..

              Lol, I'm with you man.

              Good luck!

              -Aidan.
              Signature
              Australian article writer. 5c per word, 50% off for first 5 people. 1c off price per word if done through UpWork.
              Contact me on here to get started.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1013501].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author liza31n
            No one is a loser.If you say you are a marketer,be proud and cheer up.Problems are normal especially with this industry but everything is possible if you work hard for it.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1015753].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ExRat
          Hi Phoenix44,

          Unlike Don Schenk (above) -

          I'm a little unusual because I have always been self-employed, doing a variety of things starting when I was a young teenager. That was 48 years ago
          ...I spent the first half of my career as a proper rat-racer, then escaped for a quarter of it, then came online for the last quarter. Hence my ExRat moniker - it defines who I am.

          I have had to drag my mindset kicking and screaming into a world where naivety, lack of sharp-mindedness and the inability to accept that self-education needs to be a habit provides a fast ticket back to a world of hurt - the rat race.

          So for me, it isn't just a career thing, my whole life has changed positively in the process, and I have a good insight into how difficult, but rewarding, the change can be. But I try never to forget where I 'came from.'

          I think that one thing that has contributed massively in the change, that hasn't been mentioned here is that the internet is a mass of information, and that working on it constantly and developing that desire to continually self-educate can be one of the defining differences between 'us and them.' There is also the fact that information online is very different to the type of information that is consumed daily by the average 'offliner'.

          Many of the people who write on the internet are freedom seekers and independent individuals. I also tend to seek these people out for my studies. Offline, I may have met many of the same type of people, but due to circumstance it's often a lot more difficult for the right kind of conversations and exchange of ideas to occur, whereas online many people share ideas that centre around free/critical/rational thinking, rather than 'what the crowd wants to hear.'

          Because there is such a resistance to 'outside the box thinking' offline, it becomes stifled and hidden. Online, we are free and enjoy sharing dreams and successes, as well as the lessons surrounding them.

          If we learn to understand why these people think and react the way they do, we may become better marketers and more able to bring out the 'freedom' bug in more people, by ignoring the resistance and coaxing understanding.

          But as I said earlier, if they simply don't want to remove the blinkers, just rise above it and move on to those who do.

          To summarise - my main point is that the offline world is conditioned to be so weary after commuting to their life-sapping jobs that they justify veg-ing out in front of the TV. Online, I have found a world of inspiring writing and examples to help adjust my mindset, and I spend so much time absorbing good information compared to when I was 'in the race'. This has also led me to read a lot more physical books too.

          I have learnt how damaging the wrong information can be, and I treat TV, newspapers, bar-stool philosophers and the general noise and activities of the masses with great caution - but I find many times when I have to bite my tongue - when a rat-racing friend shows their lack of self-belief by discussing 'what I would buy if I won the lottery', or demonstrates an entitlement attitude, or lumps all of their problems onto the actions of 'those in power'.

          Why Am I A LOSER Who Needs To Get A "REAL JOB"
          It's probably hard to accept that those close to you 'don't get it.' But don't let that hold you back or distract you or they have won! They will have proven to you and themselves that 'people like us can't drag ourselves out of the matrix and climb the ladder to success.' Prove the opposite to them, and be proud. At some point, they will probably worship you and beg you to help them to do it too.

          Is it better to feel uncomfortable because you are somehow 'enlightened', or better to feel comfortable amongst the crowd because like them, you are not?
          Signature


          Roger Davis

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1010370].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author arnoldschwartz
    Dont worry about what people say, if you spent your life thinking about what others said you would never get anywhere, reach for the stars my friend
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1010235].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author michael_nguyen
      I was at a music festival with a close friend and while we were driving down there, we came on to the subject of money / jobs (as you do). He's a skeptic and has always been and works a full time job at his uncles.

      So I explain that I do niche marketing with little sites. We get into an argument about whose job is more "risky" he thinks IM is risky. He tried to argue just because my niche sites is not a registered business, means that it's not a business. But we all know that anything that makes money is a business.

      Then these words came out "Get a real job".

      I'm officially too tired to talk to people about IM if they are skeptics. Not work the time and hassle.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1022210].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author GeorgR.
        Originally Posted by michael_nguyen View Post

        I was at a music festival with a close friend and while we were driving down there, we came on to the subject of money / jobs (as you do). He's a skeptic and has always been and works a full time job at his uncles.

        So I explain that I do niche marketing with little sites. We get into an argument about whose job is more "risky" he thinks IM is risky. He tried to argue just because my niche sites is not a registered business, means that it's not a business. But we all know that anything that makes money is a business.

        Then these words came out "Get a real job".

        I'm officially too tired to talk to people about IM if they are skeptics. Not work the time and hassle.
        that's very dumb.

        Actually, a few years ago (before i was in IM), i had a hard time to bond with my wife's parents. They might have thought of me as a loser, understandable..i was "in between jobs" at the moment and what parents want a son in law who cannot bring in money?

        Now they are very impressed seeing that i make money like that and we don't have problems paying our bills. When i had a "real" job i literally had to flip every penny.

        People who respond like this are just ignorant.
        Signature
        *** Affiliate Site Quick --> The Fastest & Easiest Way to Make Affiliate Sites!<--
        -> VISIT www.1UP-SEO.com *** <- Internet Marketing, SEO Tips, Reviews & More!! ***
        *** HIGH QUALITY CONTENT CREATION +++ Manual Article Spinning (Thread Here) ***
        Content Creation, Blogging, Articles, Converting Sales Copy, Reviews, Ebooks, Rewrites
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1023019].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bizideas
      Well I don't know about that Loser part, it's bad language.
      I'm not a loser and I've both struggled and triumphed.
      I have people that work for me and they're definitely NOT losers.


      That really depends on how you answer this:

      Would you rather be the person who works "real jobs" for someone else for the rest of your life?
      OR
      Would you rather be the person who provides "real jobs" for someone else for the rest of your life?


      Eric
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1025497].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author onlinemlmrockstar
      You are an entrepreneur and that is the price you pay for chasing your dreams and trying to make something of your life other than following the crowd.

      Good on you for going for your dreams and keep it up.

      Christopher Reid
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1028009].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Arted4Life
      Don't be so concerned with other peoples opinion. To do what we do, you have to be a little strange. But, at least here, no one even blinks at the things we do. Just keep going.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1028917].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Carl Kelly
    Tom Vu says my friends are all losers.
    Signature
    Read this SURPRISING REPORT Before You Buy ANY WSO! Click Here
    FREE REPORT: Split Test Your Landing Pages the Easy Way
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1010277].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Carl Kelly
    For people who I know won't understand, I say I have my own marketing company.
    Signature
    Read this SURPRISING REPORT Before You Buy ANY WSO! Click Here
    FREE REPORT: Split Test Your Landing Pages the Easy Way
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1010330].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Seattle Mike
      Originally Posted by Steven Carl Kelly View Post

      For people who I know won't understand, I say I have my own marketing company.

      This answer and some awesome looking business cards will give them something they can understand

      My own relatives were the worst at telling me I had to have a real job. It's what society has taught them all. It's the only thing that matters. Working for someone else and paying taxes until death.

      Job Security doesn't exist as far as I am concerned. You can be laid off today and the boss wont even shed a tear

      Look who has the most wealth. Business Owners. Who get others to do the work and earn them money.

      Anyone who has always worked for someone else just doesn't understand "working for yourself" And they certainly don't like the idea of you sitting at home all day and working when you feel like it.

      Let it go in one ear and out the other and do your thing.

      And join the chamber of commerce and any IM local groups you can find so you can talk to others like you. Build your own support group of friends that are in this business.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1011303].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stevenbrandon411
    I think if really is jealousy. Others are just mad that they cannot make enough money for it to be there full time job on the internet too.
    Signature

    Steven B
    E-marketing Mastermind
    www.emarketingmastermind.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1010454].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeff Williams
    I quit caring what people thought about me back in the 80's I think.

    Basically, I found people who go to "jobs" have little or no respect for those who don't share in their misery - ie., working 8-10 hours a day - 6 days a week - at a job they absolutely hate.

    I suppose a certain amount of jealousy may be involved there, too. However, I also believe part of their disdain has to do with "status". Some folks are just completely wrapped up in what they *do* for a living or who they *are* in their community. And they believe I should also care about these things.

    Truth is, I've never sought fame or admiration. I'm not looking to impress anyone, except for my clients. The title of "doctor", "lawyer", or "mayor" may garner more attention in my community than say - writer, entrepreneur, or marketer. But, as long as customers are happy and the bank account grows, I let people call me pretty much anything they want.

    There's a flip side to this whole conversation too, I believe ...

    Entrepreneurs sometimes "look down" on writers. Product creators "look down" on affiliate marketers at times. Techies "look down" on ... well, just about everybody. The list goes on.

    I personally refuse to label or pigeon-hole anyone. Just because I can't imagine myself doing someone else's "job" for a living - that doesn't give me the right to judge them. All good work is honorable in my opinion. Whether you're an entrepreneur, a senator, or a fast-food worker - it doesn't matter to me.

    Anyone who works hard at their craft is worthy of my respect.

    Even if they call me "Loser".

    -Jeff
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1010547].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
      I find it incredibly ironic that people everywhere want to "work from home" but when faced with someone who DOES work from home -- and on the Internet no less -- that people think it's either a scam or that you're a "loser." It just boggles my mind.
      This pretty much explains it all. I love what I do here and could not imagine doing anything else. I guess the only way people will take it seriously is if you are somehow able to create an offline brand of some sort. Women can be bad to because when they ask what I do they assume as soon as I say self employed that I mean broke. It's like "so what do you do for work?" I'll say, "I'm an online marketer/freelancer." "oh, so you're unemployed then?" will be the response.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1010645].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ExRat
        Hi Phoenix44,

        Women can be bad to because when they ask what I do they assume as soon as I say self employed that I mean broke. It's like "so what do you do for work?" I'll say, "I'm an online marketer/freelancer." "oh, so you're unemployed then?" will be the response.
        Why do you see that as a problem?

        I see opportunity.

        as soon as I say self employed
        Self-made-entrepreneur possibly sounds a little better.
        Signature


        Roger Davis

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1010661].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
          Why do you see that as a problem?

          The problem is that they usually think that I am a dreamer that they could never bring around their friends because I would not be respected. In their eyes unless I have the material trappings to back myself up they don't see the point. Finding like minded people is not that hard, the problem is that they usually have busy lives and are just dabbling in this and not taking it seriously. When I told someone I made almost 2.000 last month off of the internet they thought I was full of it. My mom is the only one who is understanding.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1010694].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author newBum76
    I actually am not telling anybody that I'm learning about IM for that exact reason. I know if my family knew I was spending tons of time learning this stuff they'd think I was a nutjob wasting my time on get rich quick scams.

    I think I'll let them know about it when I pull up in my new BMW and they say "how the hell did you buy that?". Oh the sweet, sweet victory when that day comes!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1010674].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GeorgR.
    Yes, i usually agree with such people...

    And then i go away laughing, knowing that i just made more $$$ in a few hours sitting on my butt at home than what the person made in his 8-4 job Who's the "loser" now?

    But on a side-note...if i mention "internet" ...people are usually rather impressed.
    Signature
    *** Affiliate Site Quick --> The Fastest & Easiest Way to Make Affiliate Sites!<--
    -> VISIT www.1UP-SEO.com *** <- Internet Marketing, SEO Tips, Reviews & More!! ***
    *** HIGH QUALITY CONTENT CREATION +++ Manual Article Spinning (Thread Here) ***
    Content Creation, Blogging, Articles, Converting Sales Copy, Reviews, Ebooks, Rewrites
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1010680].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BJ Min
    you are not a loser...if you feel that is what others think of you, then make that your MOTIVATION..your fuel to work harder...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1010976].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author melanied
      One I've been trying out recently is "Professional Blogger." People have seen that on CNN and other TV shows, they have something to hook into in their minds
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1011012].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Biggy Fat
    I love this thread. Just another reason to start my anti job blog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1011034].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Robyn8243
      In response to :

      Women can be bad to because when they ask what I do they assume as soon as I say self employed that I mean broke. It's like "so what do you do for work?" I'll say, "I'm an online marketer/freelancer." "oh, so you're unemployed then?" will be the response.

      Employee mentality + Business Mentality....not a good love match anyway.

      There are plenty of female entrepreneurs out there who will not have that reaction.

      Any woman who automatically thinks that self-employed=unemployed (as opposed to unemployable in a good way)=broke....is close minded and you're not missing anything.

      Robyn
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1011074].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mohsin Rasool
    Wow, this is the topic which we have discussed at this forum many times.
    They will never understand IM , but yes now they do understand ...Computer,
    and Websites...so " i run my own Website Development firm is my answer most of the time"

    BTW i suggest you avoid and stay away from the Negative friends and their company...
    Really their constant negative talk will make you feel stupid and discouraged in your own
    plans....

    Regards,
    Mohsin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1011103].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Somebodyimportant
      Im a guy who for many years has worked at a job i didnt really like(im a machine operator for a car parts manufacturing company) and its only lately that iv gotten interested in making money online.Iv gotten tired of working for someone else for not much pay and really want to be my own boss.I dont consider that ''being a loser'' it means i want to make more of myself and have a higher standard of living.

      If that makes me a ''loser'' than im glad to be one! I still work at my dead end job because i cannot afford to give it up.Yet.However,i am determined to be a success with IM and i cant wait for the day that i will be able to hand in my notice and work my own hours.

      By the way,this is my first post.Hi everybody.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1011146].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cimbah
    What people think of me is their business, not mine. The opinions of others don't affect me because, while everyone is entitled to an opinion, I'm the one living my life and doing what I know is best for me. No one else is walking in my shoes so their opinions are just that - opinions.

    If you try to please everyone around you, you'd have to clone yourself a thousand times over and have each clone do something different. When you stop caring about what others think and focus of what makes you happy, you're on the right track.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1011385].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ghettoman
    you know all the people that say negative stuff are the ones lurking these forums right now trying to figure out how its done. but they'd never tell you that unless they were making some good money doing it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1011471].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Willer
    You know it's really much easier (and is a conversation ender) if you just tell them you sell drugs.
    Signature
    My Loss Is Your opportunity
    (80% off for 10 smart people)

    Click Here To Find Out Why...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1011527].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
    This isn't surprising, since most people are trained and conditioned to be employees. Same thing with marriage, people are conditioned and raised to think this is the way to go. Even some offline entrepreneurs have this mindset, where you don't have a real business unless you have an office, employees, overhead, etc. They just don't understand the power and leverage that the online world brings. As far as what I say when people hit me up with the OP's questions.....

    I vary my responses, but lately I've been replying with:

    Get a real job? Why? My "phony" job brings me passive income, allows me to travel when and where I want, and if I don't want to "work" for a year or two, I have that option. So, you can keep your real job, I'll keep my phony one.

    OR......

    Yeah, I'm a "loser". I'm a "loser" who gets up when he wants, works when he wants, travels when he wants, etc. If that's what a loser is, then I'm it with a capital "L".

    I usually say it with a grin too.

    Luckily I don't hear it often anymore since most of the people I've surrounded myself with are like-minded and action-minded, unfortunately there's not much you can do about family except ignore and/or humor them.
    RoD
    Signature
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
    - Jim Rohn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1011666].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ron Killian
    I've never been considered a loser for it, not that I know of, but know what you mean. Though my wife was not exactly enthusiastic when I started "working on the web". She changed her tune pretty quick when the checks started hitting the mail box

    Actually it's been a little different, for me at least, most people want to know how to do it. But, I have stopped helping friends to make money on the net. Most don't have the motivation to make it work or they turn out to be time-consuming pain-in-the-butts.
    Signature
    PLR Affiliate Program Has Launched! Easily Promote Over 5,000 PLR and MRR Products.

    Largest Selection of PLR Articles on the Planet! PLR Ebooks, PLR Video, PLR Websites and more with Private Label Rights
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1011893].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Josef_Benjamin
    I keep it short and simple man...I don't go into much detail with
    anybody who initally ask's "what I do".

    What I do isn't important to me like a badge of honor.

    Am I blessed and proud to have this entrepreneurial spirit to do what
    I do? sure...do I love talkinga bout it? or course...but I will only ever
    go into any bit of detail IF that person keeps pressing me on for a
    REAL answer.

    Other than that, I usually say something like, "I sell stuff online".

    Seriously man, that's it.

    For me though, people are always telling me how they wish they
    could do the same, or how cool it is to do that and make money...

    I can't remember the last time someone looked at me in some way
    in dissappointed.

    People will and can only view you the way you see yourself.

    Maybe you don't think your work has loser qualities (as you make
    double what you did when you had a job)...perhaps there are
    personal issues you need to work out for yourself.
    Signature
    21 Year Old College Drop-Out Reveals FREE Ebay Quick Cash Report - Making You Easy Money With Ebay & Affiliate Marketing In Less Than 2 Hours Per Day"

    Claim Your FREE Ebay Report & Newsletter

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1012280].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1012303].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AidanKay
    People's instant reaction to things they don't know is : Fear or Worry.

    And fear or insecurity in the job world is not a good thing (just like most other things I guess). Making money any other way besides a '9 to 5' is generally considered strange or weird.

    Take musicians for example, they're a hot topic for that yet some musicians make more per week then any 9 to 5'er.
    And we all know Internet Marketing is a very, very good income source. If done right.

    People don't understand that, they think that if you don't get any money within a few days you're 'wasting your time'. But they're not to blame, the internet is new and fascinating, not many people know its full potential. So they resort to the defensive and say its rubbish.

    Within a few years that will all change, when the Internet truly becomes mainstream people will change their minds.

    But until then we have to deal with the crowd of 40-hours-a-week thinkers that put down what we do, and if they really want proof (and you're good enough) show them just how much you are earning ;D.

    They will be jealous, especially considering lots of Affiliate Marketers work many hours less then a full-time worker.

    Sorry, I dunno if much of that makes sense. It all sort of just came out.

    Hope it helps.

    -Aidan.
    Signature
    Australian article writer. 5c per word, 50% off for first 5 people. 1c off price per word if done through UpWork.
    Contact me on here to get started.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1012422].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Hardi Wijaya
    Originally Posted by pheonix44 View Post

    Has anyone else ever been called a loser and told to get a REAL JOB?
    Not yet for me. But let me reflect the story of crazy Michael Moore when he was getting film material for Fahrenheit 9/11. Bush brushed him off with a comment "... get a real job." Michael replied, "That's what I'm doing". And he was persistent until the public recognized what he did was REAL JOB.

    The lesson here is no matter what job you've, do it until someone appreciates your work.

    Hardi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1012842].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris_Willow
    Originally Posted by pheonix44 View Post

    Don't want to get married=loser

    even though the divorce rate is more then 50% in America

    Don't want to get a real job=loser

    Even though people are getting laid off every day and those that aren't are constantly in fear of getting laid off.
    Ok, so in order for me to be cool, I need to be working 9-5 for a boss who kick my a** around all the time and have my wife leave me because I suck at life?

    Oh, man that would be so awesome, these people saying it are so right! That's it, we all should just do what they say and leave IM, cause it's a scam.

    Chris

    P.S if someone actually considers that cool, you really need to ask for whatever they're smoking and have some of it
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1013074].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Biggy Fat
      Originally Posted by Chris_Willow View Post

      Ok, so in order for me to be cool, I need to be working 9-5 for a boss who kick my a** around all the time and have my wife leave me because I suck at life?
      LOL, that has become my AIM quote.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1013541].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author dmail333
        You are not loser my parents thought I was crazy... "Go back to Chrysler, that was a good job". I opened a office and my mom never even came by to look at it. [that really hurt] even when we were on the radio and made $1000 a day lots of days.

        Later on, I put her 2 luxury apartments and bought her 4 cars over time. I'm wasn't mean or anything but, I said... "I Told Ya Mom"

        Remember this... NO ONE UNDERSTANDS MARKETERS... online or offline. Just relax and understand it. Don't get mad. Just do what what you do and be motivated by their words.

        You got us. Make friends with people who are like you. Its great for a MasterMind too. We have fun talking about this stuff.

        People who don't golf don't understand golfers. That goes for everything, right. They thought Henry Ford was craaaaaaazy.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1013625].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GeorgR.
    >>
    If anybody actually thinks there is any security in a "Real Job" they are simply kidding themselves.
    >>

    absolutely and 100% agree. I was working what's called a "real job" in Chicago NW suburbs right after 9/11 and have seen MOST major companies going down, incl. united airlines...motorola, you name it. ALL the big companies laid off or went into bankruptcy.

    Working IM is as "safe" and "stable"as working a "real" job where you dont know whether you still have it TOMORROW. With one BIG difference tho:

    Being an IM **YOU** are in control <--- not your CEO or boss!!
    Signature
    *** Affiliate Site Quick --> The Fastest & Easiest Way to Make Affiliate Sites!<--
    -> VISIT www.1UP-SEO.com *** <- Internet Marketing, SEO Tips, Reviews & More!! ***
    *** HIGH QUALITY CONTENT CREATION +++ Manual Article Spinning (Thread Here) ***
    Content Creation, Blogging, Articles, Converting Sales Copy, Reviews, Ebooks, Rewrites
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1013105].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cosmo Demopoulos
    Here are some options I occasionally use:

    I run an online media company
    I'm an Internet consultant
    I have a consulting company
    I'm in marketing

    mixed in, depending on my mood, with:

    I'm a drug dealer (gets either laughter or shock)
    I'm an entrepreneur - working on my second million because I blew the one on wine, women, and song

    I don't care much what people think, but I out of my innate streak of kindness I try not to confuse them with things their minds simply can't comprehend.
    Signature
    Wine - bubbles and more
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1013151].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Chris_Willow
      Originally Posted by Ted Demopoulos View Post

      I'm a drug dealer (gets either laughter or shock)
      I'm an entrepreneur - working on my second million because I blew the one on wine, women, and song
      Those are some good ones. I sometimes say that I run a po*no site
      People actually think that if you make a bunch of money online and it's not a scam, then it's probably adult:confused:
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1013245].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author livewellfinancial
    Your not a looser! making money at home are not bad idea.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1013167].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author newBum76
    I think a lot of people have the mindset that working a 9-5 job for someone else is the "safe" thing to do, and that doing anything out of the norm to make a living is too risky. So when they see somebody else being brave and taking risks, they feel like chickens for sticking to the tried and true method and want to feel justified in their "less risky" actions. Criticizing people who work for themselves is just a way to make them feel better about not having enough guts to make something big happen for themselves.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1013447].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Truffle
    lol I used to hear stuff like that as well "uhm, shouldn't you get a real job? Instead of doing that internet stuff?" Like the internet is just some toy (which it kind of is )

    Recently, when people ask me what I do, I tell them I enjoy every second of my life and do whatever I please to do. They then give me a weird look and ask me "yeah, sure, but what do you do for work?"

    then I give them a puzzled look and stumble "... work?" and I continue to beat around the bush lol

    eventually they give up asking and every once in a while they try again.

    keeps my amused and they haven't got a clue

    greetz,
    jobic

    ps: told this to a police officer once, think he thought I was doing some illegal stuff, cause I saw him every once in a while seemingly "spying" on me lol hahahaha
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1013732].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Gannon
    When someone calls me a loser, or tells me internet marketing is a waste of time, it just adds fuel to my fire and makes me want to do better and rub it in there faces!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1013812].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
      They then give me a weird look and ask me "yeah, sure, but what do you do for work?"
      This is the response I get, it's very awkward. Guess in most peoples minds sitting in front of a computer isn't considered work. Creative energy takes way more effort then physical ever could.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1013915].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Truffle
        Originally Posted by pheonix44 View Post

        This is the response I get, it's very awkward. Guess in most peoples minds sitting in front of a computer isn't considered work. Creative energy takes way more effort then physical ever could.
        haha yeah the ones I did tell what I did, thought I was constantly playing games, watching vids and chatting on the internet hah

        It is like you say a completely different kind of tough job, "out there" you can do your job without a lot of thinking going on. But doing what we do, puts our brains through lots of rough terrain lol

        it's a good thing they don't really know what it takes and what I do. Means that less people will be there to compete haha

        greetz,
        jobic

        ps: we'll always need mindless drones doing the physical work in the shops around town for us. Especially when we decide to just go out and go shopping
        (something they obviously can't do lol I feel sad for them ... well, not really)
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1014228].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Success With Dany
    Banned
    This is a very interesting thread to read.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1014591].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author summerm
    When I tell strangers a general idea of what i'm currently doing, they hold back laughter and smirk. I can see the twinkle in their eyes, that they think I'm ridiculous and will fail. And this is just during a first conversation, without knowing anything about me or any details about the project.

    It was actually a little disheartening, so I've stopped telling any new people I meet. I just don't answer if they ask my job.

    The only thing that encourages me is that people who know me don't laugh. They are looking forward to seeing what I can do with this.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1014800].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
      It was actually a little disheartening, so I've stopped telling any new people I meet. I just don't answer if they ask my job.
      I know how you feel, the people in my neighborhood definitely don't understand. They see me dressed nice,paying my bills and yet they never see me going to a job. Apart of me loves their reaction though.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1014945].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SteveAC
      Don't worry about other people. Only little people try to hold others back. Big people are always telling you that you can do it and its not as hard as you think. Just take action day after day and you will succeed.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1021705].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
      So I explain that I do niche marketing with little sites. We get into an argument about whose job is more "risky" he thinks IM is risky. He tried to argue just because my niche sites is not a registered business, means that it's not a business. But we all know that anything that makes money is a business.

      Then these words came out "Get a real job".

      Sorry about that. But there are a few things you can do to give yourself a little credibility once you begin making money.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1022306].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author VegasVince
    Originally Posted by pheonix44 View Post

    When people ask me what I do for a living and I tell them that I do IM and freelancing I get looked at like I am a complete loser. It seems like if you don't do everything according to the way everyone else does then you are a loser.

    So what is a loser then? The more I look around the more I see that the people who get called losers are usually just people who dare to be different. If you dare to aim high, if you dare to be anything besides mediocre. I noticed your a loser whenever you don't do what other people want you to do.

    Don't want to get married=loser

    even though the divorce rate is more then 50% in America

    Don't want to get a real job=loser

    Even though people are getting laid off every day and those that aren't are constantly in fear of getting laid off.

    It seems like people throw this tag at me only when I refuse to give into their demands of what they feel I should be doing. The people who are so called losers are usually people who want more then what society says they can have, they don't follow the herd, the are seen as weird.
    I am beginning to believe that being a so called "Loser" is a good thing.

    Has anyone else ever been called a loser and told to get a REAL JOB?



    Are you just now figuring out that 95% of the population is comprised of sheep...who would rather exist vicariously through the Jones Family.....rather then living for themselves?

    I figured that out at age 11. I realized way back then...that slaves came in all demographics.

    The critics, cynics, and naysayers and other bottom feeders...don't live. They feed. And they do so by sucking the life blood out of anyone who dares break out of the pack.

    It's been that way since the beginning of time.

    Sheep exist. They don't live. Big difference.

    When ever you get criticized by this joyless, talentless bunch of followers....YOU KNOW YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT PATH!

    The next time the lemmings decide to criticize you for not jumping off the cliff with them en masse....

    Just smile...and sell those losers a bunch of broken parachutes...and wish them luck on their way down.



    xxx Vegas Vince
    Legend.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1015371].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mr Money Maker
    I find that people do not like the fact that I am far more advanced than they are in computer skills. I also find that most of my friends use Internet SEO tactics are nothing but Bunk, and I tend to develop and create new idea's and this bothers my friends to no end.....because they believe everything they see online about SEO techniques and my opinion is most SEO strategies were only created to attract people to websites or blogs, but are very hurtful in really ranking sites online, so............since I go against the grain ands swim up river, while everyone else floats down stream, I am the weird one.........so what does it all mean........well I make a lot of money fast and easy online, and they don't.......in other words I don't fit into there mold and they are Jealous........ so what was that old song?........oh ya..Ricky Nelson sang....I went to a garden Party.......in it is says...( You can't please everyone...but you got to please yourself !! )
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1015389].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dsmpublishing
    Yes my dad tells me to get a real job all the time!

    My parents are very upper class and so are all their friends and sometimes when i go to a dinner/dance with them i feel really out of place when they start quizzing me about my online income. Most of them dont even use laptops so they really dont understand it. Most though just find it odd that someone in their 20's is in a position to be able to move to the algarve in portugal when they couldnt afford to do so until they hit their 60's.

    However if i said i lived in portugal and ran a bar or restaurant i would get the greatest of respect even though i would probably be working 19hrs a day 7 days a week for the minimum wage.

    kind regards


    sam
    X
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1015841].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sapphire69
    Originally Posted by pheonix44 View Post


    Has anyone else ever been called a loser and told to get a REAL JOB?
    I got told this while I was working as a dancer while putting myself through college. (This was from a guy who had to pay to see girls get naked for him. Who was the loser?) Of course I was making more money in one night that he would in a month, so who was the loser?

    And when I graduated I got a "real job" doing what I wanted to do, what I studied hard for, and with no student debt to repay.

    Now I do this and make more money than most.

    Don't be influenced by the negativity of others. Come to Warriors and get inspired by like minded people who want to see you suceed.

    Keep your face to the sunlight and you won't see any shadows.


    Sophia
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1015847].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TelegramSam
    Originally Posted by pheonix44 View Post

    When people ask me what I do for a living and I tell them that I do IM and freelancing I get looked at like I am a complete loser. It seems like if you don't do everything according to the way everyone else does then you are a loser.

    So what is a loser then? The more I look around the more I see that the people who get called losers are usually just people who dare to be different. If you dare to aim high, if you dare to be anything besides mediocre. I noticed your a loser whenever you don't do what other people want you to do.

    Don't want to get married=loser

    even though the divorce rate is more then 50% in America

    Don't want to get a real job=loser

    Even though people are getting laid off every day and those that aren't are constantly in fear of getting laid off.

    It seems like people throw this tag at me only when I refuse to give into their demands of what they feel I should be doing. The people who are so called losers are usually people who want more then what society says they can have, they don't follow the herd, the are seen as weird.
    I am beginning to believe that being a so called "Loser" is a good thing.

    Has anyone else ever been called a loser and told to get a REAL JOB?

    Why are you even associating with people like this?

    Don't even waste a second of your time on those types of people.

    Sam
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1015905].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author houseofsparks
    Tell them that you work on the internet and don't tell what you do - leave em guessing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1016106].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
      Tell them that you work on the internet and don't tell what you do - leave em guessing
      Unless I get the hell out of dodge there will be a thousand questions to follow that.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1016146].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Nikhil V Nair
        Hi,

        I am a new comer here and this is my first reply.I have the same challenge.I am struggling to make my friends and parents understand what I am doing.Most of them think that I am doing something hopeless.I think most of then advise me to get a "real job" for my good.All I can do is to succeed in this Internet marketing world and show them how big it is.


        -Nikhil V Nair
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1016265].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Truffle
          Originally Posted by Nikhil V Nair View Post

          Hi,

          I am a new comer here and this is my first reply.I have the same challenge.I am struggling to make my friends and parents understand what I am doing.Most of them think that I am doing something hopeless.I think most of then advise me to get a "real job" for my good.All I can do is to succeed in this Internet marketing world and show them how big it is.


          -Nikhil V Nair

          Exactly, the best way to show them you're right is by succeeding at what you're doing. There'll be no point in telling you to get a real job when you're earning more then they are. (while possibly working less hours then they are)

          Still there'll be those who will insist that it is a big pile of wish-full thinking, no matter what you say, or show them how much you're making.

          To those people, just say, yeah I'll go and search for a real job and just keep doing what you're doing.

          greetz,
          jobic
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1016739].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author RentItNow
        Originally Posted by pheonix44 View Post

        Unless I get the hell out of dodge there will be a thousand questions to follow that.
        Not necessarily. People typically build something in their own mind.

        When i used to be in software design, they would always ALWAYS say, "like you work on computers? Can you help me load windows?"

        If I said "NO! I build multimillion dollar software products that process millions of dollars a day for my company's clients."

        Their response would be, "You build their computers? Can you help me load windows?"

        Saying that, I still dont know how to answer that question. "I help people rent their houses, on a global scale." is all I can come up with.
        Signature
        I have no agenda but to help those in the same situation. This I feel will pay the bills.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1016859].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
          When I tell strangers a general idea of what i'm currently doing, they hold back laughter and smirk. I can see the twinkle in their eyes, that they think I'm ridiculous and will fail. And this is just during a first conversation, without knowing anything about me or any details about the project.
          That is why I am just getting out of the habit of telling them at all. When I am wealthy then I will tell them.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1017260].message }}
        • Originally Posted by RentItNow View Post

          Not necessarily. People typically build something in their own mind.

          When i used to be in software design, they would always ALWAYS say, "like you work on computers? Can you help me load windows?"
          Ain't that the truth!

          You work with computers? Can you fix mine?

          No, but I can recommend a product that will.
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1021926].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Josh Semke
    It doesn't matter what others think or believe about you...it matters what you believe about yourself.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1016844].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    "Get a Job"

    Tell that to Robert Kiyosaki.
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1017485].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author superaffiliate09
    Man! don't pay attention to them.they are suckers deeply caught in the herd mentality.actually they are saying this due to jealousy and inferiority otherwise who doesn't want to work from the comfort of his home and earn a comfortable living.
    Always keep in mind we the Internet Marketers are always the winners.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1017492].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kat Fuschillo
    Yep, I've had that too. But, I don't care what they think of me or what I do. Instead, I take pleasure in the fact that I don't have to get up every morning and go to a stupid job I hate. But, they do. Ha ha!
    Signature

    Need Killer content? Head to -www.KatFuschillo.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1021900].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Earl Smith
    They're are a ton of "HATERS" out there that want to see you fail. Failure is up to you though, being a loser is up to you. I won't call the 9-5 worker a loser, but I do believe that those type of basic jobs are the risky ones. Within 300 miles of my city more that 10,000 people have lost their jobs in the past year because their employers had to shut down.

    I just left my job to go full time with IM. Why? I know what I'm worth, I got fed up working twice as hard as the next man because of my work ethic only to get paid the same amount as that man. On top of that I work like a dog and barely had any time for me. Like I said though I would call this type of work a losers job, but I couldn't work like that anymore.

    Internet Marketing is only risky when you don't apply yourself and take it serious. Most people think I.M. is a loser job only because 80 percent of people who look to find income on the internet is looking for the get rich quick way. I feel more secure making money on the internet than working a basic 9-5.

    They may call me a dreamer, but i call myself Paid.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1022605].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
      Internet Marketing is only risky when you don't apply yourself and take it serious. Most people think I.M. is a loser job only because 80 percent of people who look to find income on the internet is looking for the get rich quick way. I feel more secure making money on the internet than working a basic 9-5.

      They may call me a dreamer, but i call myself Paid.
      I can agree, I have said since the beginning of the year that I am trying to become an action oriented individual. That is the only thing that will get you results, if you take action things will change for the better.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1022998].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stevendennis
    ya not everyone think online bussiness a great option for making money or may be stable.they dont know what kind of job is done there..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1023010].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author landing-page-dude
    When people ask you what you do, just say, with a straight face, you're a drug dealer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1023421].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Truffle
      Originally Posted by landing-page-dude View Post

      When people ask you what you do, just say, with a straight face, you're a drug dealer.
      lol yeah, like tim ferris does, author of the 4-hour workweek
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1025315].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mr.schutz
    Just don't think of what other people say about you. Do whatever you think that is best for you and show them that you will be successful with that.

    Thinking about them will just give you stress. Less stress more success. Right?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1023429].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rudolph McDonald
    Well, You can never really please everybody. For as long as you know yourself, why trying to impress them (no offense meant), but really its your own self, why bother what other people think, just stay happy.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1027777].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Neil S
    Whenever I explain to people what I do they usually want me to teach them.

    If someone called me a loser I would probably laugh in their face.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1027938].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mjsull
    Isn't there a quote that goes something like: "The best revenge is living a good life"
    Keep on keeping on and live the good life.
    I'm not where you are YET but when I am I will answer with a smile and ask them to come on my next vacation with me. (Oh, so sorry you can't come because of your JOB schedule!)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1028923].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author timreed
    At the end of the day, what you do is up to you. If you were to ask them what they did and they replied with "A street cleaner" would you call them a loser. NO. We need them and it is one less on the dole queue. Does it matter what you do, as long as you are not thieving off the state like some people do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1029086].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
      At the end of the day, what you do is up to you. If you were to ask them what they did and they replied with "A street cleaner" would you call them a loser. NO. We need them and it is one less on the dole queue. Does it matter what you do, as long as you are not thieving off the state like some people do
      That is the one thing I don't understand either, we never put people down for what they do for a living, but yet they seem to take delight in putting down our chosen paths.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1029349].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ContentYogi
    Since you "dare to be different", why do you care about what anyone says? Guess that's where the DARE comes in.
    Signature

    Professional Article Writing Service: www.ContentYogi.com/order.html

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1029367].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Keith
    Really? When I tell people Im in IM, they are fascinated by it 99% of the time. Maybe you need to tell them what you do in a different way.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1029630].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Havenhood
    People have a hard time believing that anyone makes money on the web. Even when they're shown a check, they still don't believe it. This may have something to do with the media, and the fact they don't understand how your money is made.
    Signature

    --= -Spazzle- =--

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1029645].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CWDSteve
    best revenge, ask them "how does it feel to live on a budget"
    people are generally afraid of what they do not understand.
    no worries, just laugh your way to the bank.
    I get called a scammer all the time. I Just laugh and ask whats thier definition of scam?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1029712].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dynamicwealth
    Hey Robin,

    I've been working from home full time for over 8 years now. I've experienced plenty of what you're talking about in this post.

    When I first started I even heard this type of crap from my close friends and family. The people that mean the most to me!

    Luckily after I started to produce consistent results the majority of my friends and family got it!

    Unfortunately, most people don't have the guts to "Dare to be Different" I find these people will do everything in their power to drag you down to their level.

    A good friend and mentor of mine calls these people "spiritual vampires" I think it's a GREAT way to describe them because they attempt to suck the life & energy out of you.

    The great news is the fact that we don't have to allow them to drag us down!

    My entire life I've never been one to follow the crowd. It has served me greatly up until this point in my life... and I'm not about to change it!

    Whenever I start a new business venture or project if most people are telling me that "I'm crazy" or "that will never work" I know I'm on the right path!

    I hope this has assisted you.
    Signature

    My mission is to teach people how to quit their job, in 90 days or less, and to lead the life they were BORN to live!
    Click Here to learn how my team and I can start assisting you immediately: http://www.TheKeyToYourFreedom.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1029772].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
      Unfortunately, most people don't have the guts to "Dare to be Different" I find these people will do everything in their power to drag you down to their level.
      Dragging us down to their level means more then just what do we do for a living, it can also mean what neighborhood we live in, who we hang out with, what religion we belong to, what we eat,what we do and who do we do it with. I refuse to be boxed in by anybody. It takes balls for sure but it can be done.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1030113].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
        My entire life I've never been one to follow the crowd. It has served me greatly up until this point in my life... and I'm not about to change it!
        I have never been one to follow the crowd either, mainly because I just don't fit into it by choice I have always done things outside the box that some people will interpret as me being stuck up or stand offish. But I have always done my best to find the hidden opportunities others either refuse to see or are too scared to take action on. Like someone once told me, if you want to succeed do what others either won't don't or can't.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1034449].message }}

Trending Topics