What Internet Marketers Can Learn From Floyd Mayweather

45 replies
Now that the fight is over (aren't you glad?) any marketer worth his salt should have taken plenty of notes. If you looked at it through the eyes of just a spectator and not a marketer, shame on you. Because you denied yourself from taking advantage of a major learning moment in marketing history.

Love him or hate him, Floyd Mayweather has single handedly brought boxing (said to be a sport on life-support) back into the public spotlight. And he did it not just with his boxing skills, but his marketing skills.

Here's a powerful article that put Mayweather's marketing skills (said to be even better than his boxing) under a microscope and relates it to internet marketers. These specific tips can benefit any Internet Marketer who has an open mind and ears to hear.

Mayweather Marketing 101
#floyd #internet #learn #marketers #mayweather
  • Profile picture of the author kk075
    That's funny- I went a completely different route on my "Mayweather Marketing" article and basically said everyone lost but the promoters. Because ultimately Mayweather's skill in the ring had nothing to do with it; the champion was the execs at HBO and Showtime who drug this out for 6 years to maximize the potential profit.

    And not 5 minutes after the fight, they did it all over again.

    Did You Catch the Marketing Lesson in the Mayweather Pacquiao Fight?
    Signature

    Learn to sell like a pro through Web Synergy's marketing blog.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10043371].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by kk075 View Post

      That's funny- I went a completely different route on my "Mayweather Marketing" article and basically said everyone lost but the promoters.
      Not sure what promoters you're refering to who made what Mayweather earned $180,000,000 that we know of, not Bob Arum that's for sure.

      Originally Posted by kk075 View Post

      the champion was the execs at HBO and Showtime who drug this out for 6 years to maximize the potential profit.
      Ah, actually the execs at HBO and Showtime would have been giddy to have it 6 years ago. Truth be told it was Mayweather who had everyone by the B*lls. And it was he who held the cards all along and it was he that finally made it happen now. Remember he has no promoter, he is his own promoter. Now the riches self-promoted boxer in history by far. He passed Oscar Dele Hoya years ago. So, this fight puts him in the next stratosphere.


      Did You Catch the Marketing Lesson in the Mayweather Pacquiao Fight?[/QUOTE]
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10043387].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kk075
        Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

        Ah, actually the execs at HBO and Showtime would have been giddy to have it 6 years ago. Truth be told it was Mayweather who had everyone by the B*lls. And it was he who held the cards all along and it was he that finally made it happen now. Remember he has no promoter, he is his own promoter. Now the riches self-promoted boxer in history by far. He passed Oscar Dele Hoya years ago. So, this fight puts him in the next stratosphere.
        This fight easily could have happened six years ago, but it would have been a typical $20m payday. So they built the hype, said it would never happen, and that made you want it even more. Why did Mayweather say a dozen times that this was the right time? The execs finally hit the number he wanted...the biggest purse ever.

        Nonetheless, he beat an injured superstar who's lost 3 of his last 4. Then came the excuses...which they needed for a rematch. That could only happen if Mayweather laid off and didn't knock him cold...which he did intentionally. It was all planned though because both fighters make more by playing safe....and that's the executives behind the scenes.

        It was essentially a scam and we all bought it...but it was beautiful marketing.
        Signature

        Learn to sell like a pro through Web Synergy's marketing blog.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10043516].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ConvertiVid
    So basically, this means Mayweather is the smarter fighter. He was able to market himself as a great fighter, even though he just dances inside the ring. But still, I admire him for smarts and the way he controlled the fight. Most of all, I admire him for making tons of money using himself as a product.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10043409].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by ConvertiVid View Post

      So basically, this means Mayweather is the smarter fighter. He was able to market himself as a great fighter, even though he just dances inside the ring. .
      True. But I'd just add he scores points with the judges and keeps his opponent from scoring ... while he dances around the ring.

      Originally Posted by gabelumagui View Post

      I don't like him, but the mans a genius..
      He's not my favorite athlete of all time either, far from it. He couldn't hold ...
      • Muhammad Ali's jock strap
      • Magic Johnson's sneakers
      or
      • Breath the same air as Jackie Robinson...
      When it comes to likeability, he needs work. But the man knows how to market, brand and position himself. That's all of our jobs here as marketers - bottom line.

      Originally Posted by kk075 View Post

      Mayweather laid off and didn't knock him cold...which he did intentionally. It was all planned though because both fighters make more by playing safe....and that's the executives behind the scenes.

      It was essentially a scam and we all bought it...but it was beautiful marketing.
      Interesting point. But scam maybe a little strong because no law was broken, that I know of. But if you used the word "Set-Up" I'd be inclined to agree.

      Originally Posted by Lance K View Post

      This was far from Floyd Mayweather single handedly doing anything. There were numerous people & organizations (in addition to Mayweather & his camp) who understood how to play on herd behavior and the business of attention brokering.

      That said, the author of the article did a nice job of associating a major herd attention event to their subject matter.
      I agree, he didn't do it all by himself. But he played the biggest role a single athlete ever played in a major sporting event in history Remember he had no promoter/agent like most athletes/boxers have had. He was his own promoter - so he broke that record too for money earned in a single event. Plus, several other records ... outside the ring!
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10043702].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kk075
        Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

        Interesting point. But scam maybe a little strong because no law was broken, that I know of. But if you used the word "Set-Up" I'd be inclined to agree.
        You're right...scam was too strong of a word. Hustle, set up, trick....all of those work better.
        Signature

        Learn to sell like a pro through Web Synergy's marketing blog.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044654].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author jadert
          THe best thing that Floyd does is play the bad guy. Everyone wants to see him lose and Pacquiao was the perfect "good guy". It was brilliant marketing. Like Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant. Batman vs. Joker etc.

          In internet marketing, only a few marketers took that "bad guy" approach (the rich Jerk comes to mind). Negative attention is still attention. And Floyd continues to profit off of it. When people stop calling him a jerk, POS, and other words, then he has to worry! Because people that don't care won't spend as much money as people that hate him and want him to lose.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044777].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gabelumagui
    I don't like him, but the mans a genius..
    Signature
    It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10043450].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lance K
    This was far from Floyd Mayweather single handedly doing anything. There were numerous people & organizations (in addition to Mayweather & his camp) who understood how to play on herd behavior and the business of attention brokering.

    That said, the author of the article did a nice job of associating a major herd attention event to their subject matter.
    Signature
    "You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want."
    ~ Zig Ziglar
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10043532].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author charlesdavis
    Really! these are the powerful materials as well as online live articles..if these are so definitely it will help to people along with me too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10043545].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CashAdsMike
    I'm definitely not a Mayweather fan, both fighters both made out very well in that fight. 3 -5 million a minute isn't too shabby
    Signature
    CashAds LLC Affiliate Network
    Affiliate Manager / Marketing
    p: 888-425-7551 aim: CashAdsMike.
    e: marketing@cashadsllc.com
    Don't like it? We'll fix it. Don't have it? We'll get it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10043983].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author salegurus
    Mayweather did nothing for boxing, he did for himself and that's it.... As far as the marketing aspect, yes the POS did a good job over the years marketing his brand i'll give you that...
    Signature
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

    ― George Carlin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044077].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by salegurus View Post

      Mayweather did nothing for boxing, he did for himself and that's it.... As far as the marketing aspect, yes the POS did a good job over the years marketing his brand i'll give you that...
      salegurus,
      I had to spend a minute to figure out what POS meant until I finally got it. Point of Sale, right?

      Originally Posted by agmccall View Post

      Do you think the rematch will produce the same interest or income? I doubt it.

      This fight did more harm than good to boxing
      I think it will bring even "more" money. A Hollywood script couldn't be written better. There's still a lot of cliff hangers left to be solved. People crave cliff hangers, look at all the top T.V shows, 90% involve cliff hangers.

      For example, Mayweather is one win away from tying the all time record for matches going undefeated. So, if he fought Pacquiao people couldn't resist the drama.

      Will he tie or even break the record experts said was unbreakable? Or will he choke under the pressure like so many other fighters before him?

      Will Pacquiao get revenge? Will he finally shut "The Mouth Mayweather" once and for all? Would it had been a different outcome if Pacquiao didn't have the shoulder injury? Stay Tuned! Pacquiao has experience fighting Mayweather now, so he won't make the same mistakes. Could that fact make a difference?Let's not forget the Pac fans in the Phillipines and most of the U.S, they still love and support him.
      This is still a No Hype required event ... it still sells itself!

      Originally Posted by discrat View Post

      Its insane to see this dichotomy of being filthy rich and having that Hunger like Roy still has.


      Last year I read a SI article on Roy.

      The author of the article went to the bank with Mayweather. Roy took out some money and showed the author his recent.

      In the receipt the balance was over $120 million and change.

      The SI reporter was stunned Roy would keep this amount in his checking/savings account.
      he, he .... Thanks for giving me the credit Robert. But I think you probably meant to write Mayweather, but you wrote my name instead. Nice fraudian slip though. Maybe you're prophesying a future event (I hope so). However, until then I'm still working on having a "Mayweather Moment". I just hope my sons mom doesn't read your post ... she may think I'm holding out on her.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044509].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Borja Obeso
    How to take punchs like a champ? JK haha
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044078].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author agmccall
    Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post


    Love him or hate him, Floyd Mayweather has single handedly brought boxing (said to be a sport on life-support) back into the public spotlight..
    He brought it back temporarily. The product delivered has left a lot of people very upset. Do you think the rematch will produce the same interest or income? I doubt it. His marketing and product delivery are on the same par as pump and dump WSO sellers. They start out with a bang, then slowly drift into obscurity.

    This fight did more harm than good to boxing

    al
    Signature
    The Flu? Not worthy of a mention here???
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044087].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RTSteam
      Originally Posted by agmccall View Post

      He brought it back temporarily. The product delivered has left a lot of people very upset. Do you think the rematch will produce the same interest or income? I doubt it. His marketing and product delivery are on the same par as pump and dump WSO sellers. They start out with a bang, then slowly drift into obscurity.

      This fight did more harm than good to boxing

      al
      As long as there's people who want to see the fight, a rematch would most likely be produced. However, there's a huge chance it would leave another bitter taste to us viewers, especially to those who are boxing fans. That recent MayPac bout was not to my liking and then came the issues after the fight. It seems like they are truly planting the seeds of rematch by saying Manny Pacquiao was injured during the fight. Whether it is true or not, we won't know but one thing is for sure, if it happens, a lot of people would have their pockets full.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10045271].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
        Originally Posted by RTSteam View Post

        As long as there's people who want to see the fight, a rematch would most likely be produced. However, there's a huge chance it would leave another bitter taste to us viewers, especially to those who are boxing fans. That recent MayPac bout was not to my liking and then came the issues after the fight. It seems like they are truly planting the seeds of rematch by saying Manny Pacquiao was injured during the fight. Whether it is true or not, we won't know but one thing is for sure, if it happens, a lot of people would have their pockets full.
        I think the reason the fight left a bitter taste in peoples mouth is because Pacquiao lost. If the fight was at a similar pace and Pacquiao won a few more rounds and judges gave it to him by a split decision you wouldn`t hear so many people talking about a bitter taste in their mouth with boxing. That's just their way of saying the wrong boxer won, it wasn't about the match at all.
        Signature
        Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
        "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
        "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10045996].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author discrat
          It is somewhat amazing that a skilled human being at the art of pulverizing his opponents would use this against helpless women.

          That always fascinates me ( and bothers me) when I see these type of people engage in this kind of abuse.


          - Robert Andrew
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10046008].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

    Now that the fight is over (aren't you glad?) any marketer worth his salt should have taken plenty of notes. If you looked at it through the eyes of just a spectator and not a marketer, shame on you. Because you denied yourself from taking advantage of a major learning moment in marketing history.

    Love him or hate him, Floyd Mayweather has single handedly brought boxing (said to be a sport on life-support) back into the public spotlight. And he did it not just with his boxing skills, but his marketing skills.

    Here's a powerful article that put Mayweather's marketing skills (said to be even better than his boxing) under a microscope and relates it to internet marketers. These specific tips can benefit any Internet Marketer who has an open mind and ears to hear.

    Mayweather Marketing 101
    Mayweather is an anomaly. Really ! He goes against the grain.

    You remember Rocky when he made it big and he had all the riches and fame that comes along with making it big ? And he started to indulge and lose that eye of the Tiger.

    You would think Mayweather would do the same. But he does not.

    Rick Pitino went to a workout of his and Pitino says he never has seen a 38 year old man work as hard in a workout as Mayweather.

    Its insane to see this dichotomy of being filthy rich and having that Hunger like Roy still has.


    Last year I read a SI article on Roy.

    The author of the article went to the bank with Mayweather. Roy took out some money and showed the author his recent.

    In the receipt the balance was over $120 million and change.

    The SI reporter was stunned Roy would keep this amount in his checking/savings account.

    Like I said unbelievable dichotomy !


    Kind of reminds me of Frank Kern. He has made well over 50 million in IM but he still works like a mad man


    There is a lesson here to be learned in that


    - Robert Andrew
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044138].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jennifer Hutson
    One could argue that the real marketing magic lies in the fact that Floyd Mayweather is a serial wife beater and misogynist, yet has managed to keep these little details out of the limelight year after year.

    Funny what "good marketing" can do for even the most despicable of people.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044580].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve B
      Other than a few worn cliches and the proverbial "hard work trumps all" I think we small time Internet marketers would really have to stretch to find any marketing principles of value from the Mayweather antics.

      What he does is so far removed from our own strategies that I think it's not worth even hunting for lessons we can adapt. The buildup to huge but infrequent paydays is not a strategy I would suggest for any IMer.

      The love of money and the constant battle to amass more and more does ugly things to human beings. Maybe that's the real lesson in this tragedy.

      Steve
      Signature

      Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
      SteveBrowneDirect

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044652].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by Jennifer Hutson View Post

      One could argue that the real marketing magic lies in the fact that Floyd Mayweather is a serial wife beater and misogynist, yet has managed to keep these little details out of the limelight year after year.

      Funny what "good marketing" can do for even the most despicable of people.
      Wow, that was a jab out of left field. Duly noted, you hate Floyd Mayweathers guts. Got it. I see your point, and can't say I'd want him dating my sisters either, but he has paid his debt to society. He's acknowledged the error of his ways, the woman is a multi-millionaire now and life goes on. However, I don't have to like someone ... to learn from them, if that was the case I wouldn't have passed half of my classes in high school.

      Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

      Other than a few worn cliches and the proverbial "hard work trumps all" I think we small time Internet marketers would really have to stretch to find any marketing principles of value from the Mayweather antics.

      What he does is so far removed from our own strategies that I think it's not worth even hunting for lessons we can adapt. The buildup to huge but infrequent paydays is not a strategy I would suggest for any IMer.

      The love of money and the constant battle to amass more and more does ugly things to human beings. Maybe that's the real lesson in this tragedy.

      Steve
      I respect your viewpoint and opinion, Steve B., I just don't agree with it. I just believe there is "something" to learn from one of the greatest marketing spectacles in history - if you dig deep enough. At least for the places I'm trying to go and especially if you're in a marketing forum.

      Originally Posted by jadert View Post

      THe best thing that Floyd does is play the bad guy. Everyone wants to see him lose and Pacquiao was the perfect "good guy". It was brilliant marketing. Like Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant. Batman vs. Joker etc.

      In internet marketing, only a few marketers took that "bad guy" approach (the rich Jerk comes to mind). Negative attention is still attention. And Floyd continues to profit off of it. When people stop calling him a jerk, POS, and other words, then he has to worry! Because people that don't care won't spend as much money as people that hate him and want him to lose.
      If you study history, Floyds demeanor is taken straight out of the book of "Muhammad Ali". I can remember people saying the same thing about Ali in his hey day. People watched Ali's fights by the millions hoping his opponent (whether American or not) would knock his head off. So, Floyd is just playing that same role now. The only thing, to play that role effectively you have to be able to back it up in the ring.

      Originally Posted by Randall Magwood View Post

      . He deserves all the money that he made...

      ...and so does Pacquiao.
      I agree. But besides that he's breaking new ground for other boxers, by having the sense (or guts) to get rid of shady promoters who for the most part has swindled boxers of old out of millions, maybe billions of dollars.

      Hopefully more boxers will see the possibilities of taking their career into their own hands, instead of putting in the hands of greedy boxing promoters.
      I'm sure that's another story in itself how he swung that, imagine the negative predictions of failure from all the experts, promoters and agents he got. Wow!
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044916].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jennifer Hutson
        Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

        Wow, that was a jab out of left field. Duly noted, you hate Floyd Mayweathers guts. Got it. I see your point, and can't say I'd want him dating my sisters either, but he has paid his debt to society. He's acknowledged the error of his ways, the woman is a multi-millionaire now and life goes on. However, I don't have to like someone ... to learn from them, if that was the case I wouldn't have passed half of my classes in high school.
        He's paid his debt to society? He's learned from his mistakes? Comedy.

        He got just three months of jail time after nearly killing his ex-girlfriend in front of their 10 year-old son because he's filthy rich and didn't get a proper sentencing.

        Before that incident, he had a long history of domestic violence, including hitting the same women with a car door and punching her in the face numerous times in 2001, and punching two of her friends in the face outside a Vegas nightclub in 2003.

        Not once has he acknowledged his history with domestic violence and when a reporter questioned him about it, he said there were "no pictures ... just hearsay and allegations." He really owned up to it, huh? Really learned his lesson.

        This guy isn't worth learning a thing from, except how to hire an amazing PR team.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10046629].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Christopher Fox
      Originally Posted by Jennifer Hutson View Post

      One could argue that the real marketing magic lies in the fact that Floyd Mayweather is a serial wife beater and misogynist, yet has managed to keep these little details out of the limelight year after year.

      Funny what "good marketing" can do for even the most despicable of people.
      A good point, and truth to your statement, for sure, but Society is fickle and hypocritical. The guy is a POS, as mentioned, and has had multiple issues with thinking it okay to beat up women.

      Those guys are called Prize Fighters, for that is what they do - fight for a Prize. It is one of the rare segments of Society where people can gloat about their Prize without being condemned (well that and Gurus in the MMO niche, lol). The dude calls himself Floyd MONEY Mayweather, afterall.

      Who does that crap, gives themselves nicknames like that? Boxers. Could anyone imagine Tom 'The Dream' Brady, Peyton 'Money' Manning, Russell 'Lights Out' Wilson, et al, acting like that? LeBron James? Baseball guys, etc?

      Point being, with those different rules he lives by, there are many marketing things he does that are NOT applicable to other sectors of Society (speaking more to the OP than you here). What made Mayweather a couple hundred million had NOTHING to do with his marketing (you could suggest that he increased the prize by delaying the fight for years) prowress and methodologies - it was because he is good at physical violence. Period.

      That's his marketing secret - through no fault of his own, he happened to get lucky in the genetical crapshoot and end up with a set of genes that predisposed him to being athletic and a good boxer. In fact, he is in the conversation for best fighter, pound-for-pound, of all time.

      THAT is why the guy is worth a few hundred million dollars, NOT because of business acumen or 'Lights Out' marketing tactics.

      You get to beat the crap outta of women, and then have meatheads like Tom Brady fork out $100,000 to support you and buy a seat at the fight. And everyone thinks it's okay to do that. How many children across the globe starved to death or died from lack of care the day that fight occurred, because there wasn't $0.75 somewhere to go buy some rice. And 'ol Tom, a grown man making millions of dollars from playing a game that children play, gives $100,000 to a woman beater to watch him fight.

      And society elevates these meatheads, these grown men playing children's games (I'm a football fan, lol, and do some hypocritical supporting of it myself, lol), to such a status that marketing themselves is NOT anything they have to actually do - they only guide that marketing. PR management.

      Look at Ray Rice. For all of that talk, I really never saw anyone asking the real question - what the hell were up with the police? Were he not a famous football player, he absolutely would have been arrested and prosecuted, criminally.

      Different rules for 'famous' people with all of this stuff. From crime to business.

      These guys - professional athletes and celebrities, well, marketing them is a piece of cake. How hard is to market someone who millions will champion, watch, and financially support, even though he is a POS? It ain't hard. It is WAAAAAAAAY easier than any challenge your average IMer has to face in marketing themselves.

      How 'bout Manny's lesson? - It is better to keep one's mouth shut and swallow some pride by losing, than to be honest in your 'product description' and cost yourself $100,000,000 by revealing the truth about a blown out shoulder ...

      I think you provide some valuable posts here, Niche Man, but I really don't think there is much for the average marketer to learn from Floyd 'Women Beater' Mayweather - his world that he operates in, including how he makes money, is so far removed from what everyone else has to deal with.

      The only lesson to learn from him is that if you are a celebrity, there is a completely different set of rules you get to live by, and NOTHING, including marketing oneself, is as hard for them as it is for the rest of us, and they can get away with a lot more crap, both personally and professionally.
      Signature
      One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothing can beat teamwork.

      - Seldom Seen Smith
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10047971].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

    Here's a powerful article that put Mayweather's marketing skills (said to be even better than his boxing) under a microscope and relates it to internet marketers. These specific tips can benefit any Internet Marketer who has an open mind and ears to hear.
    I remember when Mayweather said his only goal was to break 9-figures on a fight.

    He did it.

    He seems more focused on his money than the glory of boxing dominance (which is smart). I think this mindset made him more methodical in this fight. He didn't even have his typical BBQ meal the day before a fight. He claimed it, and proved it. He deserves all the money that he made...

    ...and so does Pacquiao.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044779].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tyronne78
    They're both awesome marketers in my opinion. How much you wanna bet Pacquiao wins the second match so there has to be a third,lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10046556].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
    Mayweather had nothing to do with the marketing. He was just cashing in on sport that has been slumping for some time now. Boxing has been dead for a while now, so boxing fans were happy when two big names came up.

    I didn't fall for the hype, because I already knew the outcome. Which was for Floyd to run around for 12 rounds with out getting knocked out by a washed up boxer.

    You call it marketing, I call it the biggest heist in American history. If you want to give someone credit, give credit to where credit is due, Bob Arum. All Floyd and Manny had to do was to shut up and get paid. BSPN dubbed it the fight of the century, which I thought was a joke but typical BSPN

    I can name over a 100 fights that I'VE seen that were were a million times better. Bob Arum just happen to find a starving niche, and cashed out on it. Floyd was just waiting for Manny to age all these years. There will never be a pay out like this ever again, unless boxing continues to slump, and two big names arise.

    Greatest fighter of all time my ass, this clown wouldn't last two rounds with most of the greats. When Dela Hoya, Trinidad, Bernard Hopkins, Mosley, etc... were in their primes, Mayweather was hiding with the feather weights, waiting for everyone to retire


    Signature
    " I knew that if I failed, I wouldn't regret that.
    But I knew the one thing I might regret is not ever having tried. "

    ~ Jeff Bezos

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10046644].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RafaelThaGreat
      I was waiting for the domestic violence thing to come up as I was reading through the posts... not gonna touch that.

      I think Mayweather is a great self promoter, but more importantly he backs it up with skill and work ethic. I think people find it easy to hate someone who's rich and arrogant.
      Signature

      I plan to rule the world.... Starting Monday.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10046896].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasondinner
    I learned from Mayweather that if my opponent (competition) is throwing a barrage of punches at me, to either run around in circles away from it or just hug them...

    This was the last great boxer:

    Signature

    "Human thoughts have the tendency to transform themselves into their physical equivalent." Earl Nightingale

    Super Affiliates Hang Out Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10046902].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by Jennifer Hutson View Post

      He's paid his debt to society? He's learned from his mistakes? Comedy.

      He got just three months of jail time after nearly killing his ex-girlfriend in front of their 10 year-old son because he's filthy rich and didn't get a proper sentencing.

      Before that incident, he had a long history of domestic violence, including hitting the same women with a car door and punching her in the face numerous times in 2001, and punching two of her friends in the face outside a Vegas nightclub in 2003.

      Not once has he acknowledged his history with domestic violence and when a reporter questioned him about it, he said there were "no pictures ... just hearsay and allegations." He really owned up to it, huh? Really learned his lesson.

      This guy isn't worth learning a thing from, except how to hire an amazing PR team.
      Jennifer, I've had several close female relatives experience domestic violence. So, I'm not trying to defend Mayweather, he can defend himself ... if he can. I'm just recognizing an example of excellence of execution, consistency and a person that's breaking the mold and pioneering a new paradigm.

      Plus, he's not doing it in secret, but allowing the whole world to watch. You don't see it that often. Most would try to hide it, for fear his opponents will find out.

      That takes guts, confidence and mental toughness, that's what I'm getting. I know how to separate the meat from the bones. And move on. The good news, you have plenty of other examples to draw from if you have to like the person to learn from them - I don't.

      Originally Posted by Alex Blades View Post

      Mayweather had nothing to do with the marketing.
      Alex, I was following you until you said he had nothing to do with the marketing. Other than boxing, that's all he does.

      It's never been a better self-promoted boxer since Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard. Remember he just earned $180,000,000 without a promoter. That's never been done. And he did it negotiating against one of the greatest boxing promoters ever, Bob Arum.

      You talked like he should thank Bob Arum, when in fact it's the other way around. Unless Bob Arum can box too and bring in the same Gate and PPV numbers.

      Quick ... Can you name 3 "current" boxing champions (other than Mayweather) without Googling it? Most boxing fans can't either. That's how good of a marketer Mayweather is, plus he did it without endorsement deals, that's unheard of? He made the public come to his (boxing) world - instead of the other way around, that's unheard of too.

      I'd venture to guess most people outside of the Philippines have never heard of - nor cared about Manny Pacquiao if it wasn't for Mayweather, he even made Pacquiao famous.That's why Pacaquao is smiling all the time, he loves Mayweather for that.

      Footnote Link: How Mayweather Produces Boxings Biggest Fights

      Originally Posted by jasondinner View Post

      I learned from Mayweather that if my opponent (competition) is throwing a barrage of punches at me, to either run around in circles away from it or just hug them...

      This was the last great boxer:
      I understand that criticism from a fan point of view. But I can remember people saying the same thing about Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson and Sugar Ray Leonard. They danced, hugged when in trouble and avoided middle of the ring brawls. They were all called sissy names, while they won championships, titles and belts.


      But if you were a boxer would you rather get your head bashed in then have to drink through a straw or have "slurred speech" later in life? (Listen to the way Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield talks - and they won most of their fights - imagine how their opponents are now)

      -Or-

      Use your speed and ring intelligence to hit your opponent and avoid getting hit ...then go home and party while your opponents get medical attention?
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10047031].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jasondinner
        Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

        I understand that criticism from a fan point of view. But I can remember people saying the same thing about Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson and Sugar Ray Leonard. They danced, hugged when in trouble and avoided middle of the ring brawls. They were all called sissy names, while they won championships, titles and belts.

        Use your speed and ring intelligence to hit your opponent and avoid getting hit ...then go home and party while your opponents get medical attention?
        Marketing prowess is there, but after that fight with Manny - which was the most boring fight i've ever seen in my life, the sport of boxing took a major step back, as if it could afford to take any more steps back.

        Huge pay day, horrible effect on the sport in the long run.

        I'm all for dancing and hugging, but at least the guys you just mentioned above actually tried and did knockout their opponents - and dare I say put on a show.

        You shouldn't even mention Mayweather in the same breath as Ali other to say that he couldn't wear Ali's jockstrap. Sugar Ray Leonard much more watchable too.

        Didn't know you were a Mayweather fanboy. lol

        That match was the epitome of why MMA is kicking boxing's ass. (for the record I don't watch MMA)
        Signature

        "Human thoughts have the tendency to transform themselves into their physical equivalent." Earl Nightingale

        Super Affiliates Hang Out Here

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10047248].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
          Originally Posted by jasondinner View Post

          Marketing prowess is there, but after that fight with Manny - which was the most boring fight i've ever seen in my life, the sport of boxing took a major step back, as if it could afford to take any more steps back. Huge pay day, horrible effect on the sport in the long run.
          It's interesting how I hear more people blame Mayweather for the boring fight, when he threw and connected on far more punches than Pacquioa. Pacquioa was the more boring fighter, but I hear everyone complaining about Mayweather - few if any about Pacquioa.
          Stats Show Mayweather Threw and Landed More Punches

          I think the fact, that Mayweather also clinched ( or hugged) more gave people the impression he wasn't doing anything. Clinching is a legitimate boxing strategy - not a cowardly move like most people think. There's specific counter-moves a boxer can perform to keep an opponent from clinching so much, but Manny wasn't even doing that. So, he's as much to blame, IMO. Floyd just took the outs Manny gave him, that's what champions do.

          Whether boxing took a step back remains to be seen. Again it all comes down to the markekting or follow-up, while they wait for the rematch in a year or two. It's not like there's a shortage of boxers, it's a shortage of exposure - and effective marketing.

          Because of this fight more boxers will get exposure, but the window is short. They'll be looking for more boxers who can self-market like Mayweather I guarantee you that.

          Originally Posted by jasondinner View Post

          I'm all for dancing and hugging, but at least the guys you just mentioned above actually tried and did knockout their opponents - and dare I say put on a show.
          So, if Mayweater knocked out Pacquioa would you have considered it a good fight?


          Originally Posted by jasondinner View Post

          That match was the epitome of why MMA is kicking boxing's ass. (for the record I don't watch MMA)
          I watch MMA, it's more exciting and it gets way more TV time, but it's an over statement to say it's kicking boxings A#%. It still doesn't earn a fraction of what boxing does for it's fighers, not counting what Mayweather or now Pacquiao earns.
          Why UFC Pay Scale Will Never Be Like Boxing
          Signature
          Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
          "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
          "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10047341].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kidino
    Yep... brilliant marketing indeed. Though I was expecting more from the fight.
    Signature

    DIPPEC - PHP Script for Selling Digital Products with Paypal. No more monthly SaaS fees. No more commission fees. Keep it all for yourself (except for Paypal fees).

    Free Pricing Table Builder

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10047252].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HostZealot
    This fight was a setup, which was prepared for 5 years. Mayweather waited till Manny got tired a bit and ducking in the grass till the very moment. During the fight was 99% defensive and hit with light punches just to score points. Boring, not spectacular, not thrilling... setup instead of a fight.

    Genius marketing? wait for 5 years to earn 120 millions and retire, withdrawing all titles? Nope. That's not genius as it does not live an example to follow, nor does it open new possibilities. That's no sport and no business, that's just disgusting.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10047706].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
    Alex, I was following you until you said he had nothing to do with the marketing. Other than boxing, that's all he does.

    It's never been a better self-promoted boxer since Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard. Remember he just earned $180,000,000 without a promoter. That's never been done. And he did it negotiating against one of the greatest boxing promoters ever, Bob Arum.

    You talked like he should thank Bob Arum, when in fact it's the other way around. Unless Bob Arum can box too and bring in the same Gate and PPV numbers.
    Bob Arum has been trying to get Floyd to fight Manny for years, this fight should have taken place 8 years ago. Floyd has a big mouth, that's what he does, but it has nothing to do with marketing. Boxing fans have been starving for a good fight for years, that's why they paid the money. Even though he is washed up, Manny being the toughest fighter he's ever faced, had alot to do with it also. I understand you are a big Mayweather fan, but lets no get carried away. Just because some big mouth boxer says he is the he is the best pound for pound fighter of all time, does not make it true, that title still belongs to Sugar Ray Robinson. I've noticed Mayweather fans are now trying to confuse his big mouth with marketing, when the truth is, he has thin skin and and can't help but to be an ignoramus


    Quick ... Can you name 3 "current" boxing champions (other than Mayweather) without Googling it? Most boxing fans can't either.
    I've been watching boxing since the days of Sugar Ray Leonerd , Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, and other great fighters. I am also a boxing history buff, so I'm just going to pretend I didn't read your ignorant ass comment. If you're going to talk boxing, then let's talk boxing, don't be an asshole about it, just because someone doesn't agree with your favorite boxer.

    By the way, I'm sure you already know this, but this thread belongs in the off topic forum. Just because you attach a link with a word "marketing" in the title, does not mean it has anything to do with internet marketing. I understand you want more eyes on your fan thread, but come on now
    Signature
    " I knew that if I failed, I wouldn't regret that.
    But I knew the one thing I might regret is not ever having tried. "

    ~ Jeff Bezos

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10048228].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by Christopher Fox View Post

      The dude calls himself Floyd MONEY Mayweather, afterall.

      Who does that crap, gives themselves nicknames like that? Boxers. Could anyone imagine Tom 'The Dream' Brady, Peyton 'Money' Manning, Russell 'Lights Out' Wilson, et al, acting like that? LeBron James? Baseball guys, etc? .
      That’s called Branding. And yes, some of the most popular athletes in history have nicknames. For example, King James (Le Bron James) … The Black Momba (Kobe Bryant) Magic (Earvin Johnson) … Larry Legend (Larry Bird) … The Babe and The Great Bambino (Babe Ruth) … Hammerin Hank (Hank Aaron)… The Golden Jet (Bobby Hull) … Tiger (Eldrick Woods)… Mr Clutch (Jerry West) … Air Jordan (Michael Jordan) ...Broadway Joe (Joe Nameth) … The Golden Bear (Jack Nichlaus) … The Wizard of Westwood (John Wooden)… Charlie Hustle (Pete Rose)


      Originally Posted by Christopher Fox View Post

      Point being, with those different rules he lives by, there are many marketing things he does that are NOT applicable to other sectors of Society (speaking more to the OP than you here). .
      O.K you just tossed out a statement and just left, could you give me an example of the “many marketing things” he does that are not applicable to other sectors of society? I always thought fundamental marketing principles could be applied anywhere. Not true?
      Originally Posted by Christopher Fox View Post

      What made Mayweather a couple hundred million had NOTHING to do with his marketing.
      .
      Do you have evidence you can share or is that just a hunch or gut-level guess? For an example of my evidence read post #31, Footnote link.

      Originally Posted by Christopher Fox View Post

      - through no fault of his own, he happened to get lucky in the genetical crapshoot and end up with a set of genes that predisposed him to being athletic and a good boxer.

      Wow! Not gonna touch that one.



      Originally Posted by Christopher Fox View Post


      THAT is why the guy is worth a few hundred million dollars, NOT because of business acumen or 'Lights Out' marketing tactics. .
      Again read post #31 Footnote link.

      Originally Posted by Christopher Fox View Post

      I think you provide some valuable posts here, Niche Man, but I really don't think there is much for the average marketer to learn from Floyd 'Women Beater' Mayweather - his world that he operates in, including how he makes money, is so far removed from what everyone else has to deal with..

      I respect your opinion, as I stated in my OP, this thread is only for those who have an open mind and ears to hear. If you don’t think there’s much to learn … I agree with you.

      Originally Posted by Alex Blades View Post

      [IMG]file:///C:UsersUserAppDataLocalTempmsohtmlclip1�1clip_imag e001.gif[/IMG]

      I've been watching boxing since the days of Sugar Ray Leonerd , Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, and other great fighters. I am also a boxing history buff, so I'm just going to pretend I didn't read your ignorant ass comment. If you're going to talk boxing, then let's talk boxing, don't be an asshole about it, just because someone doesn't agree with your favorite boxer.
      Alex, come on man, we're just having a conversation over the Internet, is it really necessary to resort to name calling now? You may have a potential customer read your post and get a bad first impression. You're taking this far too serious. I promise (right hand up) you don't have to agree with me,no hard feelings, and I promise not to call you names because of it. Deal?


      Originally Posted by Alex Blades View Post

      By the way, I'm sure you already know this, but this thread belongs in the off topic forum. Just because you attach a link with a word "marketing" in the title, does not mean it has anything to do with internet marketing. I understand you want more eyes on your fan thread, but come on now
      Thanks Alex, yes I am aware of it - as well as the Moderator I'm sure. But if you read the OP and the link I offered you'll notice it started out as a marketing topic directed at Internet Marketers. But then some people wanted to discuss Mayweathers ...

      Past domestic violence charge.
      His boring fight.
      His hugging in the ring.
      His big mouth.
      His arrogance.
      His nickname.
      His luck.
      How he's a POS.
      How he's just lucky to have good genes (that one's priceless)

      Plus other issues that had nothing to do with my original post (not planned I promise).

      I thought it might be a welcome break from the ...
      How would you invest $20? What's a niche? I have no skills how can I make money? Type Questions this section gets almost constantly.

      I did caution this was mainly for marketers who had an Open Mind and Ears to Hear, meaning it's not for everyone. But that's O.K this is a Free Thread (just no name calling please) but otherwise I still respect everyone's opinions ... agree or disagree.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10048441].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
    Alex, come on man, we're just having a conversation over the Internet, is it really necessary to resort to name calling now? You may have a potential customer read your post and get a bad first impression. You're taking this far too serious. I promise (right hand up) you don't have to agree with me,no hard feelings, and I promise not to call you names because of it. Deal?
    I didn't call you any names, I just said don't be an asshole about it. I am an avid boxing fan, and when you challenged me to name 3 matches without Googling, and classified me as "most boxing fans can't either" I felt very insulted. I was replying to Floyd the boxer, never insulted you in any way. I've grew up watching boxing since I was a kid, so for you to insult me as someone who doesn't know squat about boxing was uncalled for. I didn't call you any names, it was you who insulted me, just because I didn't agree that your favorite boxer was a great marketer. If I learned anything from Floyd Mayweather, it's that it is best to fight someone when they are old and washed up. He is the greatest of all time at doing that.

    Thanks Alex, yes I am aware of it - as well as the Moderator I'm sure. But if you read the OP and the link I offered you'll notice it started out as a marketing topic directed at Internet Marketers. But then some people wanted to discuss Mayweathers ...

    Past domestic violence charge.
    His boring fight.
    His hugging in the ring.
    His big mouth.
    His arrogance.
    His nickname.
    His luck.
    How he's a POS.
    How he's just lucky to have good genes (that one's priceless)

    Plus other issues that had nothing to do with my original post (not planned I promise).

    I did caution this was mainly for marketers who had an Open Mind and Ears to Hear, meaning it's not for everyone. But that's O.K this is a Free Thread (just no name calling please) but otherwise I still respect everyone's opinions ... agree or disagree.
    You knew that was going to happen, that's why this should have been posted in the off topic forum. I understand you wanted extra eyes on the thread by posting it here, but you can't be surprised people are talking about his personal life
    Signature
    " I knew that if I failed, I wouldn't regret that.
    But I knew the one thing I might regret is not ever having tried. "

    ~ Jeff Bezos

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10048458].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by Alex Blades View Post

      I

      You knew that was going to happen, that's why this should have been posted in the off topic forum. I understand you wanted extra eyes on the thread by posting it here, but you can't be surprised people are talking about his personal life
      Hmm! ... Let me see.
      Posing a marketing topic =>with a link to an internet marketing article =>to internet marketers =>in an internet marketing section => in an internet marketing forum.

      You're right I expected it. And you're right, wrong section.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10049538].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Shannon Spoon
    I learned to never pay for another Floyd Mayweather fight again.

    As far as his great Marketing skills why don't we see how much money MayWeather VS Pacquiao #2 makes. I would hope that it does not come close to making what the first fight made as everyone i know feels like they got short changed from the fight.

    Now if he can make close to or more money than the 1st fight then let's talk about his marketing skills.

    Thanks,
    Shannon
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10121425].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AntonioSeegars1
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10121438].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Shannon Spoon
        Originally Posted by AntonioSeegars1 View Post

        The problem with Floyd is that he's a defensive boxer, so it's impossible for him to bring excitement like Mike Tyson, or George Foreman, or even Manny Pacquio when he's fighting somebody else. So when Floyd is advertising something as the "Fight of the Century" it's guaranteed to be boring.
        Yes i agree with you 100%

        That is actually the first fight of his i have watched and probably the last.

        Yeah he is a smart boxer and plays defensive all the time so good for him but boring for the fans. Give me Mike Tyson, Holyfield, Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier or Lennox Lewis.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10121455].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
        Originally Posted by AntonioSeegars1 View Post

        The problem with Floyd is that he's a defensive boxer, so it's impossible for him to bring excitement like Mike Tyson, or George Foreman, or even Manny Pacquio when he's fighting somebody else. So when Floyd is advertising something as the "Fight of the Century" it's guaranteed to be boring.
        I agree with you 85%. But it's interesting how everyone says Floyd fought a boring fight, when he wasn't the only one participating. I've yet to hear anyone say Pacquio fought on boring fight.

        But of course, Floyd set himself up, whether it was on purpose or by accident, (cliff-hanger marketing technique) for the next mega fight. Now everyone will watch hoping or to see if he'll get beat. He's applying the same tactics Ali did in his heyday.
        Signature
        Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
        "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
        "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10121528].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Shannon Spoon
          Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

          I agree with you 85%. But it's interesting how everyone says Floyd fought a boring fight, when he wasn't the only one participating. I've yet to hear anyone say Pacquio fought on boring fight.

          But of course, Floyd set himself up, whether it was on purpose or by accident, (cliff-hanger marketing technique) for the next mega fight. Now everyone will watch hoping or to see if he'll get beat. He's applying the same tactics Ali did in his heyday.
          That is because Pacquio did not fight a boring fight. He went after Mayweather with everything he had even though he was hurt before the fight.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10121539].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jessiem
        Originally Posted by AntonioSeegars1 View Post

        The problem with Floyd is that he's a defensive boxer, so it's impossible for him to bring excitement like Mike Tyson, or George Foreman, or even Manny Pacquio when he's fighting somebody else. So when Floyd is advertising something as the "Fight of the Century" it's guaranteed to be boring.
        I totally agree with you!
        He can't bring excitement to the fans because of his defensive style. He can win all fights lined up for him because he never box like a true boxer. He can bring money to the plate but it's always a BORING fight.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10121844].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
          Originally Posted by jessiem View Post

          I totally agree with you!
          He can't bring excitement to the fans because of his defensive style. He can win all fights lined up for him because he never box like a true boxer. He can bring money to the plate but it's always a BORING fight.
          Ironically that's what they said about the Bill Russell Boston Celtics who won a record 11 Championship titles, The San Antonio Spurs, who won a record 4 titles in 8 years and Baltimore Ravens the only team in the NFL to hold a perfect record in multiple Super Bowl appearances. So, boring is not always that bad is it.

          But because this is a marketing forum I'd like to hear more viewpoints on his marketing skills. Based on this evidence How Mayweather Produces Boxings Biggest Fights.

          I find it ironic in a marketing forum no one in this thread wants to talk about marketing. Because the fight is over and in the books. But the powerful marketing principles he launched is still being used and can be adopted by us, whether you like Mayweather or not. That was the purpose of this thread, not to make this a fight analysis thread. We're all here to make money, right?
          Signature
          Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
          "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
          "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10121906].message }}

Trending Topics