Owners of profitable blogs. Would you start from zero today?

28 replies
Originally, I asked this question on Reddit. The question is mostly for people, who own blogs, that generate at least 1000USD/month (but anyone's opinion are welcomed). So I'd really like to know how many years did it take for your blog to turn to profit? Do you write articles by yourself or hire someone (if so, what is approximate ROI for the article)? What is your monetization strategies? The reason I posted here is that I'm thinking about launching a blog about wearable technology and wearable devices (smart watches, fitness and health trackers, smart jewellery etc.). I've researched the competition, market and it seemed promising until I started to read various threads, discussions about blogging in general these days. It seems that nowadays is uber difficult to breakthrough and make some money here. Users spend less and less time reading, thanks for Youtube, Facebook. The use of AdBlock is skyrocketing. Affiliate programs offer small commissions. And prices of ad placements drop each year due tor fierce competition and new media forms. So tell me honestly, would you start a blog/news site as a business today? Please, I'm begging you, prove me that I'm wrong ))
#blogs #owners #profitable #start #today
  • Profile picture of the author Miguelito203
    Originally Posted by sau1ius View Post

    Originally, I asked this question on Reddit. The question is mostly for people, who own blogs, that generate at least 1000USD/month (but anyone's opinion are welcomed). So I'd really like to know how many years did it take for your blog to turn to profit? Do you write articles by yourself or hire someone (if so, what is approximate ROI for the article)? What is your monetization strategies? The reason I posted here is that I'm thinking about launching a blog about wearable technology and wearable devices (smart watches, fitness and health trackers, smart jewellery etc.). I've researched the competition, market and it seemed promising until I started to read various threads, discussions about blogging in general these days. It seems that nowadays is uber difficult to breakthrough and make some money here. Users spend less and less time reading, thanks for Youtube, Facebook. The use of AdBlock is skyrocketing. Affiliate programs offer small commissions. And prices of ad placements drop each year due tor fierce competition and new media forms. So tell me honestly, would you start a blog/news site as a business today? Please, I'm begging you, prove me that I'm wrong ))
    Yeah, I would start a blog today. I do it quite often as I have multiple blogs in a couple of niches. In fact, I'm going to start at least one next month. First of all, you have to realize that there is going to be competition whenever there is an opportunity to generate a profit. Don't let this scare you. It just means there are more products to promote within a niche and that they will be coming out on a regular basis.

    Every time a new product comes out, it's a chance for you to get your foot in the door and make money. I personally have always written my own stuff. Even though I wouldn't consider myself a writer, I've always been good at it and prefer for things to come out in my own "voice," so to speak. Also, there are plenty of people that still read. In fact, they prefer it. However, we as marketers, use a variety of promotional techniques, including social media.

    Oh, I forgot to mention that the amount of money an affiliate program pays out really depends on the price of the product and the kind of product you are promoting (and whether or not it has up-sells). For instance, physical products tend to pay less than digital products because it not only cost more for the product to be made and what not, but the affiliate is one of the last people to get paid. However, you can make up for this by promoting higher-priced items and cross promoting items. Digital products can make up to $100 USD and beyond per sale. It just depends.

    Joey
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10071768].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sau1ius
      Originally Posted by Miguelito203 View Post

      Yeah, I would start a blog today. I do it quite often as I have multiple blogs in a couple of niches. In fact, I'm going to start at least one next month. First of all, you have to realize that there is going to be competition whenever there is an opportunity to generate a profit. Don't let this scare you. It just means there are more products to promote within a niche and that they will be coming out on a regular basis.

      Every time a new product comes out, it's a chance for you to get your foot in the door and make money. I personally have always written my own stuff. Even though I wouldn't consider myself a writer, I've always been good at it and prefer for things to come out in my own "voice," so to speak. Also, there are plenty of people that still read. In fact, they prefer it. However, we as marketers, use a variety of promotional techniques, including social media.

      Oh, I forgot to mention that the amount of money an affiliate program pays out really depends on the price of the product and the kind of product you are promoting (and whether or not it has up-sells). For instance, physical products tend to pay less than digital products because it not only cost more for the product to be made and what not, but the affiliate is one of the last people to get paid. However, you can make up for this by promoting higher-priced items and cross promoting items. Digital products can make up to $100 USD and beyond per sale. It just depends.

      Joey
      Hey Jay,

      Thanks for your insight! If it's not a secret, what's your main sources for a revenue? Affiliates, digital products? Yes, I read that digital products developed by yourself or others bring the biggest profit. But at the moment I can't think anything digital @wearable technologies - only apps. And they cost pennies.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10073911].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author igrowyourbiz
    What if you made a column and syndicated it to other websites instead?
    Signature
    Get LEGIT! Make 6, 7 or 8 FIGURES Per MONTH
    Just Like The Other Students I Mentor Do!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10071791].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chaotic squid
    I've been hearing from bloggers that today is better than ever to start a blog. There are more people online, social media is strong, mobile has revolutionized the web in how people now essentially have a mini computer on them at all times to consume content.

    While the space is competitive, it's all about finding your niche, giving them value/solving problems, and creating a community.

    Since it's more competitive, I've noticed a lot of bloggers utilizing additional forms of media to capture as much of their audience as possible. So in additional to just blogging, you have to be using social media, video, and even podcastingto grab people from different platforms and offer multiple types of format, because some people like to read, others like to watch video, and some just like to listen to audio.

    Hope that helps!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10071876].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author allegandro
    Yes I would.

    But I started 10 years ago, without a goal, just loved to write something down.
    Not knowing if it would make money or not.

    If I would start now again, I would think really hard. Still it should be a subject that is about one of my passions. But i would do a bit deeper research before I would really start.

    Just starting for starting I can't do any more.
    Signature
    Struggeling with multiple supplier feeds?
    DoeeX solves it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10071914].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
    I'll get hung for saying this - but my new blogs turn a profit in the first 24 hours. It really isn't rocket science, though.

    Tom
    Signature

    I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10071935].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author san2hnl
      Originally Posted by Tom Addams View Post

      I'll get hung for saying this - but my new blogs turn a profit in the first 24 hours. It really isn't rocket science, though.

      Tom
      Disagree. If it were as easy as you are implying, everybody would be rich.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10073100].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
        Originally Posted by san2hnl View Post

        Disagree. If it were as easy as you are implying, everybody would be rich.
        Challenge accepted. Tell you what I'll do. If I can scrape together a few hours over the weekend, or a day next week at the latest, I'll not only prove it, I'll do it in 2 hours or less. I'll then post the results here. The extra hour or so required (above the 2 hours or less) will be to screen capture everything and write up - aptly - a blog post about it.

        And I wasn't implying. I was stating a fact. I do it. And I don't consider it rocket science.

        Will he do it? Will he not do it? The drama!!

        Tom
        Signature

        I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10073202].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author san2hnl
          Originally Posted by Tom Addams View Post

          Challenge accepted. Tell you what I'll do. If I can scrape together a few hours over the weekend, or a day next week at the latest, I'll not only prove it, I'll do it in 2 hours or less. I'll then post the results here. The extra hour or so required (above the 2 hours or less) will be to screen capture everything and write up - aptly - a blog post about it.

          And I wasn't implying. I was stating a fact. I do it. And I don't consider it rocket science.

          Will he do it? Will he not do it? The drama!!

          Tom
          I'm certainly not doubting you, and I didn't mean to call you out or anything. I was just saying that this forum wouldn't be bursting at the seams with folks struggling to make $10/mo if earning money from blogging was so easy.

          I make money with my blogs, but it took me years to get to this point and it certainly wasn't easy.

          I guess my question is: what do you consider as "profitable from day one"? A few cents a day? Or $100's per day? There's a big difference between the two, and if you can do the latter, I'd be really impressed.

          Regardless, I would be curious to see how do you do it. Everyone has different methods of doing the same thing, and that's what makes this forum so good.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10073370].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author nrb
          Originally Posted by Tom Addams View Post

          Challenge accepted. Tell you what I'll do. If I can scrape together a few hours over the weekend, or a day next week at the latest, I'll not only prove it, I'll do it in 2 hours or less. I'll then post the results here. The extra hour or so required (above the 2 hours or less) will be to screen capture everything and write up - aptly - a blog post about it.

          And I wasn't implying. I was stating a fact. I do it. And I don't consider it rocket science.

          Will he do it? Will he not do it? The drama!!

          Tom
          I am interested to see your method too! And the results. I am sure you can do it as I can't see any reason why you would post as you have if you couldn't. Give us a lesson!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10073404].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author wulfgar2012
          Originally Posted by Tom Addams View Post

          Challenge accepted. Tell you what I'll do. If I can scrape together a few hours over the weekend, or a day next week at the latest, I'll not only prove it, I'll do it in 2 hours or less. I'll then post the results here. The extra hour or so required (above the 2 hours or less) will be to screen capture everything and write up - aptly - a blog post about it.

          And I wasn't implying. I was stating a fact. I do it. And I don't consider it rocket science.

          Will he do it? Will he not do it? The drama!!

          Tom
          I was just checking in on this thread to see if you posted what you said you were going to.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10125463].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Synnuh
    Originally Posted by sau1ius View Post

    Originally, I asked this question on Reddit. The question is mostly for people, who own blogs, that generate at least 1000USD/month (but anyone's opinion are welcomed). So I'd really like to know how many years did it take for your blog to turn to profit? Do you write articles by yourself or hire someone (if so, what is approximate ROI for the article)? What is your monetization strategies? The reason I posted here is that I'm thinking about launching a blog about wearable technology and wearable devices (smart watches, fitness and health trackers, smart jewellery etc.). I've researched the competition, market and it seemed promising until I started to read various threads, discussions about blogging in general these days. It seems that nowadays is uber difficult to breakthrough and make some money here. Users spend less and less time reading, thanks for Youtube, Facebook. The use of AdBlock is skyrocketing. Affiliate programs offer small commissions. And prices of ad placements drop each year due tor fierce competition and new media forms. So tell me honestly, would you start a blog/news site as a business today? Please, I'm begging you, prove me that I'm wrong ))
    Sounds like you just talked to someone really negative, someone who doesn't actually own a blog, or someone who was trying to get you to buy a product that doesn't deal with blogging.

    Now is the best time to start.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10072146].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sau1ius
      Originally Posted by Synnuh View Post

      Sounds like you just talked to someone really negative, someone who doesn't actually own a blog, or someone who was trying to get you to buy a product that doesn't deal with blogging.

      Now is the best time to start.
      Hey, Could you give me any points, why it's the best time? Thanks!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10073917].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Robert999
    Originally Posted by sau1ius View Post

    Originally, I asked this question on Reddit. The question is mostly for people, who own blogs, that generate at least 1000USD/month (but anyone's opinion are welcomed). So I'd really like to know how many years did it take for your blog to turn to profit? Do you write articles by yourself or hire someone (if so, what is approximate ROI for the article)? What is your monetization strategies? The reason I posted here is that I'm thinking about launching a blog about wearable technology and wearable devices (smart watches, fitness and health trackers, smart jewellery etc.). I've researched the competition, market and it seemed promising until I started to read various threads, discussions about blogging in general these days. It seems that nowadays is uber difficult to breakthrough and make some money here. Users spend less and less time reading, thanks for Youtube, Facebook. The use of AdBlock is skyrocketing. Affiliate programs offer small commissions. And prices of ad placements drop each year due tor fierce competition and new media forms. So tell me honestly, would you start a blog/news site as a business today? Please, I'm begging you, prove me that I'm wrong ))
    I think websites are like shops and retail stores. Every one knows that there are tons of stores already, but they open their new stores because it is the way of selling goods. Similarly blogging is one of the best ways to make money online no matter how many blogs are already there. We just need to learn how to stand out from the crowd.

    If you are just managing only one blog, have enough time, writing skills and knowledge then you should write content yourself. Otherwise outsource your work and focus on marketing your website. Outsourcing your content work really saves your time, but it costs you extra money of course.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10072262].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sau1ius
      Originally Posted by Robert999 View Post

      I think websites are like shops and retail stores. Every one knows that there are tons of stores already, but they open their new stores because it is the way of selling goods. Similarly blogging is one of the best ways to make money online no matter how many blogs are already there. We just need to learn how to stand out from the crowd.

      If you are just managing only one blog, have enough time, writing skills and knowledge then you should write content yourself. Otherwise outsource your work and focus on marketing your website. Outsourcing your content work really saves your time, but it costs you extra money of course.
      Thanks! Talking about outsourcing, what would be the best place to look for hiring content creators? Freelancing sites, niche's forums, social media? I guess, I should be looking for native speakers and writers, that are interested in technology and have experience writing about it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10073923].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    Originally Posted by sau1ius View Post

    Originally, I asked this question on Reddit. The question is mostly for people, who own blogs, that generate at least 1000USD/month (but anyone's opinion are welcomed). So I'd really like to know how many years did it take for your blog to turn to profit? Do you write articles by yourself or hire someone (if so, what is approximate ROI for the article)? What is your monetization strategies? The reason I posted here is that I'm thinking about launching a blog about wearable technology and wearable devices (smart watches, fitness and health trackers, smart jewellery etc.). I've researched the competition, market and it seemed promising until I started to read various threads, discussions about blogging in general these days. It seems that nowadays is uber difficult to breakthrough and make some money here. Users spend less and less time reading, thanks for Youtube, Facebook. The use of AdBlock is skyrocketing. Affiliate programs offer small commissions. And prices of ad placements drop each year due tor fierce competition and new media forms. So tell me honestly, would you start a blog/news site as a business today? Please, I'm begging you, prove me that I'm wrong ))
    I definitely have blogs I developed over 7 years ago. But Iam really focusing a lot of my energy on some of the social media networks like Facebook.

    It is much less time consuming ( the way I do it at least) and this is where the crowds are going.

    Blogs will always have relevance , it's just they have to share more and more virtual real estate with places like FB and Twitter


    - Robert Andrew
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10072659].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbsmith
    I would still start a blog but with one major difference (in fact we have transitioned to this approach over the last year) --

    In the past, we blogged pretty much daily with the combined objective of attracting traffic (mainly through SEO), hosting our content and as a mechanism to drive traffic into our various sales funnels

    What has changed is that your traffic today will come from other locations (Instagram, Pintrest, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc...) because that is where people ARE these days

    So, what that means is that my blog posts are now not designed to get traffic, they are designed to host valuable content and convert traffic into leads.

    They become my "hub" pages if you will while the other vehicles are the "Spokes"

    So, I may produce a video on YouTube and then host it on my blog, then pull out a few clips of that video and host it on Facebook and Instagram and then produce a catchy value statement and post that to my Twitter followers (who follow because of the other 5-10 non sales posts each day). In some cases, I'll even convert a summary of the video into an article and post it to Medium and then link back to the video on my blog. It all comes back to my blog so that I capture leads and pull leads into my sales funnel

    Hope that helps,

    Jeff
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10073045].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sau1ius
      Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post

      I would still start a blog but with one major difference (in fact we have transitioned to this approach over the last year) --

      In the past, we blogged pretty much daily with the combined objective of attracting traffic (mainly through SEO), hosting our content and as a mechanism to drive traffic into our various sales funnels

      What has changed is that your traffic today will come from other locations (Instagram, Pintrest, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc...) because that is where people ARE these days

      So, what that means is that my blog posts are now not designed to get traffic, they are designed to host valuable content and convert traffic into leads.

      They become my "hub" pages if you will while the other vehicles are the "Spokes"

      So, I may produce a video on YouTube and then host it on my blog, then pull out a few clips of that video and host it on Facebook and Instagram and then produce a catchy value statement and post that to my Twitter followers (who follow because of the other 5-10 non sales posts each day). In some cases, I'll even convert a summary of the video into an article and post it to Medium and then link back to the video on my blog. It all comes back to my blog so that I capture leads and pull leads into my sales funnel

      Hope that helps,

      Jeff
      Hi Jeff,

      That's a really interesting point. The one I've never considered before. So you're saying that it's better to generate less, but shareable content (tutorials, top-lists), than lots of news-like, products's presentation-like content?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10073936].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ninetymillion
        I had been mentoring with Danny Iny of Firepole Marketing. He taught me that it is better to post less to your own blog and spend more time pitching to guest blog on high traffic blogs. This way you can build a following back to your blog and as your traffic grows you post more. I would start a blog today because it is so much easier than 4-5 years ago. Yet I know it takes time to cultivate good traffic so my blog would be a place where I would elaborate in more detail on my postings that I publish on high traffic blogs. I think it's better to leverage someone elses traffic than pay for your own.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10075385].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Houlian
    I start new blogs like that all the time -- but I'm trying to start less of them these days to focus on taking the ones I already own to a whole new level of success. Personally, I would try to start a blog in a niche other than technology. You will probably have trouble competing in that niche.

    But I would definitely start and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Just make a very detailed plan on how you'll grow the blog's content and backlinks and execute. It's really that simple. The hardest part of the process is sticking to your plan even when it seems things are not working out.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10073219].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author skyro
    Having a blog is a great way to get your message out and a great way to build a long term successful business. If you are actively creating blog post on a regular basis and posting your content from your post onto social media sites people in your target audience will begin to recognize you also in time google will begin recognizing your blog and you will see it beginning to rank for various keywords you might of not even think of.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10073516].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    Originally Posted by sau1ius View Post

    Please, I'm begging you, prove me that I'm wrong ))
    The previous posters have been very kind.

    I would question why on earth should someone prove that you're wrong, and create additional potential competition?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10073922].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jordorules
    Hi Tom Addams, just wondering if you are still posting the results of this challenge? Thanks

    J
    Signature

    "Whether you believe you can or can't ... You're right." - Henry Ford, CEO, Ford Motor Company

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10125475].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author joseph7384
      Originally Posted by nrb View Post

      I am interested to see your method too! And the results. I am sure you can do it as I can't see any reason why you would post as you have if you couldn't. Give us a lesson!
      Originally Posted by wulfgar2012 View Post

      I was just checking in on this thread to see if you posted what you said you were going to.
      Originally Posted by jordorules View Post

      Hi Tom Addams, just wondering if you are still posting the results of this challenge? Thanks

      J
      What you guys fail to realize is that it's easy for Tom but don't think that he is going to give you the holy grail secret that will bring you $100 by tomorrow
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10125617].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Devilfish168
        hmm I think back.
        I should spend more time creating a website last time than spending most of my time on video games.

        if I started way back 10 years ago by now...even I didn't do any SEO ...just by occasionally share via social medias.

        now I believe my site automatic generate at least some constant traffic.

        Of courses contents is important where every WR here mention.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10125638].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mysterrio
    I start new websites EVERYDAY....so... would I start from ZERO? sure, why not? Anyone else with me there?
    Signature

    The Gurus Have Lied To You: Learn Internet Marketing For FREE. Don't Spend Another Penny Before You Read My FREE REPORT. Go here: http://internetmarketingdude.xyz

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10125525].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NeedBucksNow
    I think that it would be a little easier after already knowing what you need to do in order to start making a profit in the 1st place. The learning curve and having a good website design is probably what took me the longest to learn tho
    Signature

    HOW TO QUIT YOUR BORING JOB AND START MAKING MORE CASH MARKETING FROM YOUR HOME!
    http://needbucksnow.com/
    JOIN MAXBOUNTY TODAY AND I'LL SHOW YOU HOW I'M FINALLY MAKING MONEY ONLINE USING PPC!
    http://www.needbucksnow.com/top-cpa-offers/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10125731].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author @tjr
    The use of AdBlock is skyrocketing
    Outside of Reddit (where this question was posted and even there it isn't as true as it used to be) you really don't see people that know of Adblocks existence in a lot of niches. At least in my personal experience.

    Shout out to /r/animalsbeingjerks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10125760].message }}

Trending Topics