Okay without writing a novel here I am going to attempt to prove to you that building a list is the way to go and everyone should do it immediately...
1. 99.9999% of successful online marketers have their own list...
2. Some PPC marketers are finding out that you need a list... (Hint: Google Slap last week)
3. Wal-Mart is now the second largest company in ad spend offline - do you think they are building a list and getting those prospects to their website? (Hint: Register to create a WishList)
4. 66% of those surveyed bought from a marketing message received through email (Exact Target)
5. 63% of respondents clicked a link in the email to learn more (Epsilon)
6. Email marketing doubles buying intention and increases recall by a further 14% (Unilever, eCircle and GFK)
7. 60% of women and 49% of men regularly save email in their inbox to refer to later when making a purchase (Epsilon - 2009)
8. 57% of the people surveyed said they had a more favorable opinion of the companies that send them email (Epsilon - 2009)
I could go on but I won't bore you anymore...
The end result... I only listen to statistical and factual data. I leave my own personal feelings and guess work out of it.
You cannot refute the data coming from many, many sources so building an email asset is something no one can take away from you if something online decides to make changes.
I have been in business for many years and my success really started the day I started building a list!