33 replies
Anybody doing health and fitness niche with a blog and having success. I am starting to think it is too broad and saturated to work commercially.

I am an engineer so my posts tend to be quite analytical around nutrition issues of different food types. On twitter the main audience on weight loss seems to be women, with lovely smiles and skimpy clothes. This is all very nice but I doubt they would have much interest in what I am writing.
#fitness #health
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    Originally Posted by StephenGB View Post

    . . . analytical around nutrition issues of different food types.
    Stephen,

    You are quite right, IMO, health and fitness is a huge market, one of the largest on the Internet. What you have to offer will appeal to some, but certainly not everyone. So you should further refine your niche audience into a rather homogeneous group. Get specific and capture the audience that will be most interested in what you can offer. Begin by doing market research online to see where demand for products and services lies. When you have an audience that demands the same thing, then your marketing becomes so much more effective.

    The best to you,

    Steve
    Signature

    Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10095618].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zdebx
    If you're just blogging generally about health and fitness, then no wonder you're stuck.

    That's a topic too broad for an average blogger, so you would be much better off narrowing down your audience and targeting a more specific niche...Something like how to get six pack abs or how to get a flat tummy for women or how to get a bikini bum, etc.

    And of course, keep in mind that you won't become a millionaire overnight by posting a couple of articles on your blog...It takes months before you see a single penny and many years before your blog produces an income that you could live on <<< 99% of bloggers don't make it to that stage anyway.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10095662].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author StephenGB
      Originally Posted by zdebx View Post

      If you're just blogging generally about health and fitness, then no wonder you're stuck.

      That's a topic too broad for an average blogger, so you would be much better off narrowing down your audience and targeting a more specific niche...Something like how to get six pack abs or how to get a flat tummy for women or how to get a bikini bum, etc.

      And of course, keep in mind that you won't become a millionaire overnight by posting a couple of articles on your blog...It takes months before you see a single penny and many years before your blog produces an income that you could live on <<< 99% of bloggers don't make it to that stage anyway.
      Thanks and I totally agree with your point. I have read many weight loss, health blogs and most are empty and doing them is a fools errand, which I must avoid.

      The articles I am writing are very focused with a scientific bent ( I am researching from science papers for some of the materials) and a couple have taken me 40 hours or more to write. So I can't be banging them out every day.

      The reason I wrote them was to find out how I could lose weight myself. Without dieting I dropped 8kg in 3 months and reduced my waist from 38 inch to 33 inch. I believe there are 3 simple principles that anybody can do to lose fat without calorie restriction. Ok 4 if you include some exercise.

      I am also quite into the importance of having good gut bacteria and pre and pro biotics.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10095816].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author F360
    I did weight gain for a while and had success. I'm about to try weight loss as there will be more money to be made.

    For my weight loss site it is mainly an opt in form for email, with a blog for content. I'm not going to rely on SEO for traffic, but social media, paid media, and partnerships with other social channels and websites. There are a lot of weight loss sites that don't exist to make money, so I will be asking them for friendly links to my blog (which isn't a hard sell opt in / pop up blog). It's purely useful for the reader.
    Signature

    Private Message me to get Early Access to my Free Course "Launching a Profitable Blog in 7 Days".

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10095899].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author StephenGB
      Originally Posted by F360 View Post

      I did weight gain for a while and had success. I'm about to try weight loss as there will be more money to be made.

      For my weight loss site it is mainly an opt in form for email, with a blog for content. I'm not going to rely on SEO for traffic, but social media, paid media, and partnerships with other social channels and websites. There are a lot of weight loss sites that don't exist to make money, so I will be asking them for friendly links to my blog (which isn't a hard sell opt in / pop up blog). It's purely useful for the reader.
      Sounds much like what I am up to. Is your weight gain site still up.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10095920].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author F360
        Originally Posted by StephenGB View Post

        Sounds much like what I am up to. Is your weight gain site still up.
        It went down last year. However I kept the blog posts an am slowly putting it back together. I just need to find time to redo the product as its a bit dated now.
        Signature

        Private Message me to get Early Access to my Free Course "Launching a Profitable Blog in 7 Days".

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10095930].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MrJoeRed
    I assume by success you mean making money. How are you monetizing your blog? Adsense, Email list with follow ups, a product/service?? Because.. It is easy to build up an instant audience via PPC.. Some quality freebies to keep them happy, etc. The fitness market is huge.. plenty to go around
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10095942].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Originally Posted by StephenGB View Post

    Anybody doing health and fitness niche with a blog and having success. I am starting to think it is too broad and saturated to work commercially.
    Create a blog and product catered to MEN about "penis enlargement".

    Watch how many sales you'll make - even with sucky sales copy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10095959].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author StephenGB
      Originally Posted by Randall Magwood View Post

      Create a blog and product catered to MEN about "penis enlargement".

      Watch how many sales you'll make - even with sucky sales copy.
      My penis enlarges all the time.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10096428].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Justin012
    Hi Stephen, what's your website called (link?). I own health and fitness website myself that is 3 years old, but isn't doing very well in terms of sales, subscribers and comments. But it definitely gets good organic traffic and pinterest pins and followers.

    I am ranking high on the first page of google for keywords that get over 10,000 monthly searches but it's still not giving me the results I'm after. I'm not sure it's the layout of my website or the content that's the problem.

    My main target audience is "men trying to burn fat and build muscle naturally".

    The link to my site is in my signature below.

    I get over 1000 daily visitors and 700 daily are unique daily visitors from organic search results.

    I recently wrong a post asking for critique on my site here

    Are you capturing subscribers through an opt-in form on your site? It's very important that you should so that you can always market to your subscribers in the future. I am getting about 5 new subscribers a day, so guess it's not all that bad.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10095965].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author StephenGB
      Originally Posted by Justin012 View Post

      Hi Stephen, what's your website called (link?). I own health and fitness website myself that is 3 years old, but isn't doing very well in terms of sales, subscribers and comments. But it definitely gets good organic traffic and pinterest pins and followers.

      I am ranking high on the first page of google for keywords that get over 10,000 monthly searches but it's still not giving me the results I'm after. I'm not sure it's the layout of my website or the content that's the problem.

      My main target audience is "men trying to burn fat and build muscle naturally".

      The link to my site is in my signature below.

      I get over 1000 daily visitors and 700 daily are unique daily visitors from organic search results.

      I recently wrong a post asking for critique on my site here

      Are you capturing subscribers through an opt-in form on your site? It's very important that you should so that you can always market to your subscribers in the future. I am getting about 5 new subscribers a day, so guess it's not all that bad.
      Attached the link Health Fitness and Well Being. I am still at very early stage and working through setting things up such as joining Awebber etc. I am also wondering if should change to wordpress and get a unique domain, but I can do that with blogger.

      The blog name is a bit crap and cheesy and I am thinking what to change it to. My theme is that to get good results you don't need to punish or starve yourself. People need to understand a bit more how their bodies work and what to eat for optimum nutrition for function and disease prevention.

      The fitness part is a bit a side show and not my main interest.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10096421].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gavinwalsh1
      Justin, just checked out your site.

      You building a list?

      Gavin
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10381800].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Van Dam
    I'm going to leave a short reply on this one just to tell you that while something might seem like a saturated niche, there is still room for you to make your mark, just give it a bit of a twist and offer something the others aren't. That's the key to getting eyes on your blog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10096395].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Justin012
    Hi Stephen,

    Your sites content is very good but I'd definitely change to wordpress as it's a much better platform. I'd also change the domain name as it's way too long and can make it hard for to get returning visitors.

    Set up asocial media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Google Plus, Pinterest and Instagram. Get as many followers as you can for each account. Once you have that done, add social buttons at the top of your website so it will be easier for people to find you on social media also when they visit your website.

    Facebook advertising looks promising in regards to promoting your blog posts. I use to do it and got quite a good bit of exposure for my own website.

    I also do web design and wordpress installation and customization if you need any help with that.

    Your definitely on the right track and good look with it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10096667].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TobinBell
      I am having the same problem with my blog although it is not as old as old.(approx 6-7 months). I am afraid that my website covers too many things at the same time. I know I should kinda focus on one specific thing to narrow it down to specific audiences, but I just do not know how! Hopefully,I will figure it out someday.
      Signature

      Freelance Content Writer and Editor
      Adwords and SEO Specialist

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10096675].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Liza233
        narrow it down and build your list... building your list is the most important...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10096678].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Justin012
        Originally Posted by TobinBell View Post

        I am having the same problem with my blog although it is not as old as old.(approx 6-7 months). I am afraid that my website covers too many things at the same time. I know I should kinda focus on one specific thing to narrow it down to specific audiences, but I just do not know how! Hopefully,I will figure it out someday.
        Hi Tobinbell,

        I'm in the same boat myself and cover many different topics related to weight loss and building muscle and I find it difficult to narrow it down to specific audiences. I like to talk about what I know about and that's almost everything to do with eating healthy, getting motivated to workout, staying motivated, building muscle and burning fat fast. I know there are millions of blogs talking about the same thing so I can be very hard to stand out from the crowd. I'm still trying and the traffic is great but no conversions.

        Let me know if you find a sub-niche that makes you stand out from crowd and how well it works out.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10097147].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Devilfish168
          My only website I need to managed and yes that is health and fitness.

          i do this because perhaps I like to gym but not hardcore. Just want to maintain .

          yes I can encounter intensive competition as everyone mention it but well I still continue.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10097217].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author winnermarketing
    health and fitness is one of the hugest niche on the Internet.
    People usually think that if there is competition the niche is hard to earn from it.
    Instead the best results are where the market is bigger!
    Signature

    Free Guide to Make Money Online [Now!]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10097308].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    Originally Posted by StephenGB View Post

    Anybody doing health and fitness niche with a blog and having success. I am starting to think it is too broad and saturated to work commercially.

    I am an engineer so my posts tend to be quite analytical around nutrition issues of different food types. On twitter the main audience on weight loss seems to be women, with lovely smiles and skimpy clothes. This is all very nice but I doubt they would have much interest in what I am writing.
    Like Steve said Health and Fitness is a HUGE Market not Niche.

    There is a lot of money to be made.

    You just need to whittle down to find a viable Niche within it.


    Like Women losing weight after pregnancy or Losing Weight for Diabetics, something of that nature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10097375].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisNosal
    Banned
    Originally Posted by StephenGB View Post

    Anybody doing health and fitness niche with a blog and having success. I am starting to think it is too broad and saturated to work commercially.

    I am an engineer so my posts tend to be quite analytical around nutrition issues of different food types. On twitter the main audience on weight loss seems to be women, with lovely smiles and skimpy clothes. This is all very nice but I doubt they would have much interest in what I am writing.
    I know people will give me shit, but this is exactly what you need, and it's totally free.

    Try my copywriting course - it will help you with exactly what you need, particularly read the "crafting content" section.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10097384].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    If you are just blogging, this is why you are stuck. Your goal is to get traffic>sales. There are a TON of blogs out there who are competing with you.

    I would invest some money in paid ads and track sales to see which places work best for you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10097390].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zdebx
    Just noticed your blog is on Blogger and if I were you, I would get a domain + hosting and move from Blogger asap...At the moment, you're basically using Google for hosting of your blog.

    Yes, it's free, it's easy to manage, etc, but you have NO control over it.

    As some have already suggested, have a look at Wordpress > https://wordpress.org/support/

    If you're new to hosting and domains, then do some research on Google to understand how it works.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10097742].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    Yeah, I've gotta say a blog is a tough nut to crack.
    I try to tell newbies this, but so many inexperienced people spout "start a blog" as a beginning strategy, that it's hard to be heard.
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10381806].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kimanierick
    This is a very wide area with many people but not unique and appealing. make sure you concentrate on at most 2 areas to fast test the waters. be unique and prove that your content is better than that of others. ensure you promote the blog well and see the reactions of the people. see their feedback and improve on them. then you can think about monetizing your idea and taking it to the next level, you are the one to create interest for the people and attract them..All the best
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10381870].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jogunn
    I think with health and fitness, it's about putting together attractive graphics to help deliver your info & message - something that's easy for people to share. Get involved on social media and start reaching out to relevant groups and pages. Instagram is a great market for health and weight loss, and whatever you post, you can always link back to your blog.

    With Facebook, you can do a trial of ads and see what starts driving the most traffic for you. They are inexpensive and easy to put together.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10383796].message }}

Trending Topics