28 replies
How do you market a product to the family members of a fallen hero without looking like an ambulance chaser?
#fallen #final #final salute llc #heroes #salute
  • Profile picture of the author Ryan2929
    That depends. If you're marketing a product to them that you would've marketed to them even had they not suffered their loss and doesn't require you to prey on their loss to sell to them, then just go ahead as usual.

    If you're marketing a product to them that involves, depends on, or somehow makes use of their loss for your own financial gain, then just don't, and go sell something to someone else.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126516].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author foreverstray
      There's always a way man.

      If the product is good for them and will genuinely make their life better, there is no reason to shy away from offering it to them because of their situation. Give them value and get your cut. Its a win/win.

      I appreciate it is a difficult position though.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126526].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126523].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CNM Design
      I have a web site but it's in my signature. I have a FaceBook page, It's under Robert Prest and it's open to the public. Maybe you can go there first.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126537].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
        Banned
        Originally Posted by CNM Design View Post

        I have a web site but it's in my signature. I have a FaceBook page, It's under Robert Prest and it's open to the public. Maybe you can go there first.
        Personally, that's not something I would propose for a good six-months after interment.

        That's just me. I'm sure other will feel differently and those that put money above all else will tell you to 'just go for it.'

        In situations like this, put yourself in someone else's shoes and ask yourself how you would feel if approached. If nothing else, you'll discover what type of person you are. :-)

        Cheers. - Frank
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126553].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author CNM Design
          Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

          Personally, that's not something I would propose for a good six-months after interment.

          That's just me. I'm sure other will feel differently and those that put money above all else will tell you to 'just go for it.'

          In situations like this, put yourself in someone else's shoes and ask yourself how you would feel if approached. If nothing else, you'll discover what kind of person you are. :-)

          Cheers. - Frank
          Thanks

          Is this comment based on having seen the product or is it generalized?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126573].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
            Banned
            Originally Posted by CNM Design View Post

            Thanks

            Is this comment based on having seen the product or is it generalized?
            I did look at your website, but as a disabled combat veteran that has buried many veteran friends, it was a generalized statement.

            Personally, it's something that would not have any allure for me. Don't base your marketing efforts on that. I'm a very opinionated and cynical individual. In the end, you have to do what you believe in, not what I think

            You asked, so I gave you my input. It is, as they say, just my 2¢.

            Cheers. - Frank
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126578].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author CNM Design
              Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

              I did look at your website, but as a disabled combat veteran that has buried many veteran friends, it was a generalized statement.

              Personally, it's something that would not have any allure for me. Don't base your marketing efforts on that. I'm a very opinionated and cynical individual. In the end, you have to do what you believe in, not what I think

              You asked, so I gave you my input. It is, as they say, just my 2¢.

              Cheers. - Frank
              Did not want to come off sounding like an as# hole but there is a different's. Having seen the product gives me a higher level of respect for your answer than had you not seen it. Thank you for your honest opinion and your service.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126637].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
                Banned
                Originally Posted by CNM Design View Post

                Did not want to come off sounding like an as# hole but there is a different's.
                I never took it that way. It was a perfectly legitimate question.
                Having seen the product gives me a higher level of respect for your answer than had you not seen it.
                Not sure my response merits any respect.
                Thank you for your honest opinion and your service.
                My distinct pleasure on both counts - and thank you.

                Cheers. - Frank
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126650].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Kay King
                  I come from a family with a lot of military and career military people - including my son. If I saw something like this advertised in a magazine or online I'd think nothing of it. I know there are people who would think this kind of "tribute" appropriate.

                  If I lost a family member to military action - and someone mailed me an ad for this...I would be furious and consider it the height of "tacky".

                  That said, there are companies that specifically target the bereaved - whether military or not - so I guess it's whatever you can be comfortable selling.
                  Signature
                  Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog
                  ***
                  It actually doesn't take much to be considered a 'difficult woman' -
                  that's why there are so many of us.
                  ...jane goodall
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126687].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
                    Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

                    I come from a family with a lot of military and career military people - including my son. If I saw something like this advertised in a magazine or online I'd think nothing of it. I know there are people who would think this kind of "tribute" appropriate.

                    If I lost a family member to military action - and someone mailed me an ad for this...I would be furious and consider it the height of "tacky".

                    That said, there are companies that specifically target the bereaved - whether military or not - so I guess it's whatever you can be comfortable selling.
                    So it might be a good idea to "go where your audience is looking" and advertise there?

                    What do they do, who do they talk to, where do they look in these circumstances?

                    I'm seeing a difference between actively getting in front of the target market, and passively showing them a possibility, here.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126710].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author joseph7384
          Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

          Personally, that's not something I would propose for a good six-months after interment.

          That's just me. I'm sure other will feel differently and those that put money above all else will tell you to 'just go for it.'

          In situations like this, put yourself in someone else's shoes and ask yourself how you would feel if approached. If nothing else, you'll discover what type of person you are. :-)

          Cheers. - Frank
          I agree with Frank!

          I can tell you from personal experience that this is would be despicable towards the family of these fallen heroes. People want to remember the good times, the happy times and all this would do is start the grieving all over again just when they might of had some closure with the passing of their loved ones.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126588].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author CNM Design
            Originally Posted by joseph7384 View Post

            I agree with Frank!

            I can tell you from personal experience that this is would be despicable towards the family of these fallen heroes. People want to remember the good times, the happy times and all this would do is start the grieving all over again just when they might of had some closure with the passing of their loved ones.
            "We wanted to find a special way to display the empty casing from my husband's grandfather's military funeral. We ran across this website when searching for options via the web. We couldn't be happier with the final product and service we received. The display will cherished in our home as a an honor to a very special man in our lives."
            Thanks again,
            Melissa
            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
            There were many tears at our Christmas. We miss Irv so much, but everyone loved the shell casing display. Happy New Year to you and your family. If you need me to email something on your web site, please let me know.
            Mag
            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
            Thanks so much for your great work. The display looks great.
            Thanks,
            Dustin

            Thanks for your opinion.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126645].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
    Banned
    Originally Posted by CNM Design View Post

    How do you market a product to the family members of a fallen hero without looking like an ambulance chaser?
    Not sure that you can. You better have one totally indispensable product. If it's the least bit crass, you will be deemed an opportunist of the absolute worst sort.

    Cheers. - Frank
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126535].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
    Profiting from loss is one of those things that some people immediately balk at, but the truth is we all use services that profit from other people's tragedies. There are the companies that make sympathy cards, florists, casket manufacturers, funeral homes, etc. All of these companies exist to make a profit and nobody thinks ill will towards them. Heck, even the news profits from loss.

    If you feel that your product will do good for those in their time of need, then you can sleep well at night. Judging from the testimonials you posted, I think you have nothing to worry about. As for marketing, try some joint venture deals with other product or service providers that cater to your target market. Talk to funeral homes and other veteran related businesses. You can also buy mailing lists of those that fit your market. Direct mailers would likely work well for you.
    Signature

    Founder of JVZoo. All around good guy :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126747].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CNM Design
      Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

      Profiting from loss is one of those things that some people immediately balk at, but the truth is we all use services that profit from other people's tragedies. There are the companies that make sympathy cards, florists, casket manufacturers, funeral homes, etc. All of these companies exist to make a profit and nobody thinks ill will towards them. Heck, even the news profits from loss.

      If you feel that your product will do good for those in their time of need, then you can sleep well at night. Judging from the testimonials you posted, I think you have nothing to worry about. As for marketing, try some joint venture deals with other product or service providers that cater to your target market. Talk to funeral homes and other veteran related businesses. You can also buy mailing lists of those that fit your market. Direct mailers would likely work well for you.
      Thanks

      I feel this is more a service than a product. I do have a funeral home that shows a sample of the display to the family members of Veterans and other fallen heroes (who will receive a three rifle volley), when making the arrangements. They do not sell them. They just let them know that this service is available and where to find it. I'm working on getting at least 1,000 funeral homes my first year. I have only been on line for three months. I have hundreds of likes on Facebook, most if not all from Veteran Groups.

      Thanks again for your feed back
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126802].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kay King
        I think you are on the right track. As I said, my own reaction is not positive yet I can think of people I know who would see this as a "memorial".

        Funeral homes are a logical place to put info - you might also consider advertising in military related or veteran publications - there are quite a few of those. Another possibility might be niche publications aimed at an older (senior) demographic. This is a product that is not "time specific".

        I would rule out direct mail because it's "someone died - want to buy this" and I don't think that approach will be effective. Could be wrong, though.

        It's more a product you want people to KNOW about - as those who are interested will follow the dots once they know the product exists.
        Signature
        Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog
        ***
        It actually doesn't take much to be considered a 'difficult woman' -
        that's why there are so many of us.
        ...jane goodall
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126851].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author CNM Design
          Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

          I think you are on the right track. As I said, my own reaction is not positive yet I can think of people I know who would see this as a "memorial".

          Funeral homes are a logical place to put info - you might also consider advertising in military related or veteran publications - there are quite a few of those. Another possibility might be niche publications aimed at an older (senior) demographic. This is a product that is not "time specific".

          I would rule out direct mail because it's "someone died - want to buy this" and I don't think that approach will be effective. Could be wrong, though.

          It's more a product you want people to KNOW about - as those who are interested will follow the dots once they know the product exists.
          I think using the direct route may not be an option. The problem is, you can't really rely on a third party with no skin in the game (ROI) to market your business. Would sending a sympathy card or E-mail signed " From all of us at "FINAL SALUTE" with no mention of the product still be considered to direct?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126878].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Ryan2929
            Originally Posted by CNM Design View Post

            I think using the direct route may not an option. The problem is, you can't really rely on a third party with no skin in the game (ROI) to market your business. Would sending a sympathy card or E-mail signed " From all of us at "FINAL SALUTE" with no mention of the product still be considered to direct?
            Personally, in my mind sending them a hollow sympathy card with the intent to market to them would be even slimier than just shoving the product in their faces.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126880].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author CNM Design
              Originally Posted by Ryan2929 View Post

              Personally, in my mind sending them a hollow sympathy card with the intent to market to them would be even slimier than just shoving the product in their faces.
              You are correct. I think I will just go the with the numbers game and try to get as many funeral homes as I can. Even if I only get one a month from each that would be plenty.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126893].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Kay King
                I also live in Ohio and reading your personal info on the website, I understand the product better. Veterans groups are very active in this area - as a place to socialize if nothing else.

                I'd think you have an excellent test market at your fingertips with veterans groups you belong to. Run your ideas past them and see which ones appeal to them and which they think are over the line. You'll get honest feedback.
                Signature
                Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog
                ***
                It actually doesn't take much to be considered a 'difficult woman' -
                that's why there are so many of us.
                ...jane goodall
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126906].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Kay King
                  Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat is going on here?!?!?
                  The OP asked for honest opinions - and he's getting them from people who have been in the military, have lost people in the military, etc. Your opinion is also valid but the drama is a bit much.

                  Because the OP is a veteran himself, he is looking for ways to promote his product without coming across as crass or disrespectful. It's a difficult balance.

                  A Final Salute: Know The Symbolism Behind Military Funerals
                  Signature
                  Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog
                  ***
                  It actually doesn't take much to be considered a 'difficult woman' -
                  that's why there are so many of us.
                  ...jane goodall
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126931].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author savidge4
                    First and foremost Sir, Thank You for your service. If not for gentlemen such as yourself this forum and the core ideals we share here today might not have been possible.

                    I don't think its crass at all. If I am reading all of this correctly you are going to target the funeral home as the point of contact? I think that is a great idea.

                    Really need to work on your about us page.. this is where things slip downhill pretty fast. "Designed the display back in 2008 just after my friend of fifty years past away and his daughter gave me one of his shell casings after the funeral. Decided in December of 2014 to register as a full Limited Liability Company and sell the displays and go into semi retirement after encouragement from many of my friends with fallen heroes, who said they would like to own one."

                    Something more like "In 2008 a dear friend, a fellow Marine passed away. His daughter gave me one of the shells from the funeral ceremony. I was touched by this gift coming from her, I am not sure she understood how much that ment to me. I obviously wanted to remember my buddy. and from this experience, is where the idea of the "Final Salute" Casing display was born."

                    People don't want to know its a business.. that's a given - no need to push that where its not needed. The message of you have been there. you look at this on a daily basis and remember the good the bad and the ugly. Your friend will forever be on your mind. That's a message of hope and sincerity. ( as cheesy as it sounds).

                    In the rest of this I don't need to know you are a basket weaver. I don't need to know you are retired from basket weaving. I don't need to know where you went to school. Keep the facts related to your ( target audience) basically why your "service"? because you are one of them.

                    I have worked with Retired Military personnel in the past. In your case I would consider the use of rank in your about us profile. If you look into JER, para. 2-304 where it states: "Use of Military Title by Retirees or Reserves. Retired military members and members of Reserve Components, not on active duty, may use military titles in connection with commercial enterprises, provided they clearly indicate their retired or inactive Reserve status. However, any use of military titles is prohibited if it in any way casts discredit on DoD or gives the appearance of sponsorship, sanction, endorsement, or approval by DoD." I would say that you are not casting discredit. and you are in no way indication sponsorship, sanction or endorsement by the DoD.

                    Some things to consider, and again thank you for your service - and good luck with your current venture!












                    Signature
                    Success is an ACT not an idea
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126984].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author CNM Design
                      Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

                      First and foremost Sir, Thank You for your service. If not for gentlemen such as yourself this forum and the core ideals we share here today might not have been possible.

                      I don't think its crass at all. If I am reading all of this correctly you are going to target the funeral home as the point of contact? I think that is a great idea.

                      Really need to work on your about us page.. this is where things slip downhill pretty fast. "Designed the display back in 2008 just after my friend of fifty years past away and his daughter gave me one of his shell casings after the funeral. Decided in December of 2014 to register as a full Limited Liability Company and sell the displays and go into semi retirement after encouragement from many of my friends with fallen heroes, who said they would like to own one."

                      Something more like "In 2008 a dear friend, a fellow Marine passed away. His daughter gave me one of the shells from the funeral ceremony. I was touched by this gift coming from her, I am not sure she understood how much that ment to me. I obviously wanted to remember my buddy. and from this experience, is where the idea of the "Final Salute" Casing display was born."

                      People don't want to know its a business.. that's a given - no need to push that where its not needed. The message of you have been there. you look at this on a daily basis and remember the good the bad and the ugly. Your friend will forever be on your mind. That's a message of hope and sincerity. ( as cheesy as it sounds).

                      In the rest of this I don't need to know you are a basket weaver. I don't need to know you are retired from basket weaving. I don't need to know where you went to school. Keep the facts related to your ( target audience) basically why your "service"? because you are one of them.

                      I have worked with Retired Military personnel in the past. In your case I would consider the use of rank in your about us profile. If you look into JER, para. 2-304 where it states: "Use of Military Title by Retirees or Reserves. Retired military members and members of Reserve Components, not on active duty, may use military titles in connection with commercial enterprises, provided they clearly indicate their retired or inactive Reserve status. However, any use of military titles is prohibited if it in any way casts discredit on DoD or gives the appearance of sponsorship, sanction, endorsement, or approval by DoD." I would say that you are not casting discredit. and you are in no way indication sponsorship, sanction or endorsement by the DoD.

                      Some things to consider, and again thank you for your service - and good luck with your current venture!












                      Thank you for your time and feed back. I will be networking with funeral homes for the most part. I was looking for a dignified way to approach the family members direct without going through a third party. That does not look an option at this point. I took your advice and made a couple of changes to my about.

                      Just a note. The Memorial Shell Casing Display is for any fallen hero (Military-Law-Fire-EMT and K-9)

                      Thanks again
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10127023].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nmwf
    Wow - I'm REALLY surprised at some of these responses. I don't see anything wrong with what the OP's offering. I mean where the hell else are people supposed to get a memorial flag and shell casing??

    I'm serious!

    But are you kidding me right now? Do you people have the same attitude towards flag manufacturers? Gravestone artists? Insurance salesmen?

    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat is going on here?!?!?
    Signature
    Write comprehensible articles on *any* topic in seconds with First Draft...
    First Draft's: Download | Add-Ons | Templates | Purchase | Support | Affiliates
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126903].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CNM Design
      Originally Posted by nmwf View Post

      Wow - I'm REALLY surprised at some of these responses. I don't see anything wrong with what the OP's offering. I mean where the hell else are people supposed to get a memorial flag and shell casing??

      I'm serious!

      But are you kidding me right now? Do you people have the same attitude towards flag manufacturers? Gravestone artists? Insurance salesmen?

      Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat is going on here?!?!?
      It'sOK. Deep down I felt it was ambulance chasing and I was looking for other perspectives in the hopes someone might come up with an angle I did not consider. As it is, nothing truly justifies contacting the market target at it's source. Just have to cast a wider net now and it will cost a little more.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10126982].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Originally Posted by CNM Design View Post

    How do you market a product to the family members of a fallen hero without looking like an ambulance chaser?
    I personally wouldn't do it... out of respect to the fallen hero. It's people like the fallen hero that allows me to have my great liberties in this country.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10127173].message }}

Trending Topics